What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway?

In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway?:
    In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : That was 45 years ago . Little about baseball from 45 years ago is relevant at all now. You can't compare stats side-by-side for hitters or pitchers. You can't compare salaries. You really can't compare attendance numbers. By the 80s/90s and into the 2000s, the Sox, though a perennial bridesmaid, became arguably the most popular team in the sport. Should I be proud that in two straight seasons of under 90 wins, they sell out every game? That's not fan loyalty, that's fan ignorance and stupidity. Last series of the season, the Sox are about to get bounced from the playoffs, they are blowing a lead late....and 30k+ fans belt out "Sweet Caroline" in the midst of this historic collapse. That's a stadium full of clueless pink hatters, not fans. I don't need a $75 dollar fenway book, I have a piece of the Monster facing that was replaced in 1978 coutesy of the Jimmy Fund. I have pictures, stories, memories and newspaper clipping spanning 3 generations and 90+ years. Henry and Co. are milking everything they can. They had these plans laid out before their bid to buy the team was even accepted. Watch now, as season by season, the salaries go down, down, down....it shouldn't be a surprise. This is the same group that splintered the Marlins IMMEDIATELY after winning a ring. I guess I should be thankful they have other avenues to bilk money before taking the red eye out of here some night, because this is not going to be a good team when they bolt.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

You sound embittered by the RS success, and by the fans appreciation of that success.

In the previous 17 years before Henry took over, we won, in total, 5 playoff games.  In the 9 years since, we have won 34 playoff games.

Before Henry and company, we made the playoff 9 times in 85 years, with -0- WSC.  We've made the playoffs 6 times in 9 years, with 2 WSC's.

I loved being a RS even in the dark ages, but you seem to prefer losing to winning.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Nope.  Fenway was my favorite place on earth when the team was perennial ho-hums.  So, doesn't really matter to me.  The ticket prices, of course, are outrageous, so economics alone dictate that I don't make the trip very often anymore.  But, I go any chance I get.  To me, its bigger than just being a diehard Sox fan and Fenway lover because the team is putting out a winning product.  Its just what i do and my papa did before me.   And 2 3rd place finishes certainly makes no dent in that love.  Please.  They were competitive both of those years.  Which is more I can say for many many a year past.   Many newjack fans, and some old timers obviously entranced by the notion of a dynasty, do not appreciate just how good we have it. But, no matter what, win or lose, Fenway still is a little slice of heaven.  In fact, in the face of pressure to blow the place up for big dollars, this ownership group has managed to actually improve on the place.  I dig that.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Outstanding post, Spaceman.  Each paragraph is right on.  

We didn't start loving the Sox when the curse ended.  We've loved them in the decades before hand. 

Fenway's gotten spruced up ... not replaced, which is really cool.

We'd be here even if the Sox were last in the division, as so many prophets of doom foresee each pre-season.

But in these rather golden years, we really don't have to worry about that ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? :     Outstanding post, Spaceman.  Each paragraph is right on.   We didn't start loving the Sox when the curse ended.  We've loved them in the decades before hand.  Fenway's gotten spruced up ... not replaced, which is really cool. We'd be here even if the Sox were last in the division, as so many prophets of doom foresee each pre-season. But in these rather golden years, we really don't have to worry about that ...
    Posted by SinceYaz

A pity more fans don't understand that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? :     Outstanding post, Spaceman.  Each paragraph is right on.   We didn't start loving the Sox when the curse ended.  We've loved them in the decades before hand.  Fenway's gotten spruced up ... not replaced, which is really cool. We'd be here even if the Sox were last in the division, as so many prophets of doom foresee each pre-season. But in these rather golden years, we really don't have to worry about that ...
    Posted by SinceYaz

Well said.  I'll enjoy it no matter what happens.  The fact that this is the Golden Age of Red Sox baseball makes ever so much sweeter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take for fans to stop selling out fenway? : From wha I understand about The Trop, here's the issues I've come away with:

-Called 'Tampa' though they are actually in St. Petersberg, which has a much more elderly population, and isn't a place where baseball is sought after.

IT'S BEEN CALLED THE TAMPA, TAMPA BAY, TAMPA/ST. PETE AREA  (even the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area) since the early 1900s.  Tampa was the most prominent town for almost ever.  The ELDERLY have always been there.  BUT IT IS NOTHING IN FLORIDA TO DRIVE 50-60 MILES to an event.  Live in Orlando?  Tampa is a quick trip down the interstate.  Takes about as much time as going from one side of Boston to another.  Especially in rush hour traffic. 

I went to high school and college in Florida ... we were 110 mile from Daytona.  Jump in the car for that "short" trip anytime.  Key West was 6- 8 hours away .... hardly a second thought to go ... Went to Tampa more often than anywhere on... a whim ... only 60 miles. 

I know, that's when I was young, but the mind set that Tampa and St. Pete are separate is ridiculous.  They are nut and butt. 

Those travel notions?  Taught by grown ups ... they went there first.

-The stadium, itself, seems to be a total dump. Just a no frills, basic dome with too low catwalks, and nothing interesting about it at all, about the perfect antithesis to Fenway.

No frills?  I'm old school here, I go for the game.  So I'm not a good barometer.  Chain O' Lakes Park in Winter Haven was a glorified high school field.  Went to see the Sox, not the place. 

-From what I understand, I don't live in FL, it's a solid 60-90 mins from the closest population center that actually cares about baseball.

Do you mean CUBA?

YOU DO REALIZE THAT TAMPA IS Yanqui territory, right?  The Boss came there.  They have wintered there since the signing of the Declarartion of Independence.

And the East coast, WELL, Ft. Lauderdale and W. Palm are the 6th and 7th Burro's of NYC.

So no MARLIN interest there either.

-FInally, the Rays are only recently good, in an area that doesn't care much about baseball. It will take many seasons of winning records, and a few trophies to show for it before people really start to show up. Kind of like hockey down there, when good, the Florida Panthers had OK attendance, any dip from elite, and their fans disappeared.

Old people go to Florida, old people don't go to sporting events. 

(Huh? Who do you think supported sports before WE came around? My dad, 39 years my senior, TOOK us to Fenway, the Garden in Boston, and then when we moved to Florida, took me to Winter Haven to see the Sox ....  OLD PEOPLE DON"T GO????   Better rethink that one.)

Posted by ma6dragon9

Sections
Shortcuts