What would it take to get Jose Reyes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

What would it take to get Jose Reyes?

What type of prospects would it take, If not would Bill Hall be an option, who was released by the astros last week. Would it be worth it if Petey is out 2 months.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: What would it take to get Jose Reyes?

nope...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Reyes at SS and move Lowrie to 2nd?  I like it.  Now to acquire Reyes I have no idea what it would take.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Expensive player in last year of his contract on a team that is in poor financial shape.  If it takes more than a fringe player or two plus 1 decent prospect than no thanks.  Say scutaro or lowrie, reddick, and a single A decent prospect...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to What would it take to get Jose Reyes?:
    [QUOTE]What type of prospects would it take, If not would Bill Hall be an option, who was released by the astros last week. Would it be worth it if Petey is out 2 months.
    Posted by stinkman[/QUOTE]

The Mets would likely want Iglesias but the Sox would never budge. 
    An offer of Lowrie, Kalish or Reddick "not both" and maybe a pitcher and catcher might do it but only if Jose agrees to a new contract with is. 

Unfortunatey we only need Reyes if Pede goes down so my guess is he will replace Jeter at SS at some point.  The Yankees will make a strong push to get him if Reyes stays healthy all season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Lowrie and Scuturo can hold down the fort until Pedroia comes back.  They need pitching.  They need BP help.  That's the number 1 priority. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

BP help is the first priority, but the hardest to pick up quality that you are confident will do well once you get them.  This offseason is a perfect example.  Alot of $ were spent on guys thought to be reliable.  The sox got 2 guys.  The yankees got 1.  there were 2 or 3 others.  None has been good.  BP guys have to be cheap in $ and cheap in players to trade for, as no one knows what they are getting.  I'm even more convinced of that now.

Position layers have good years and bad.  They are healthy or they get hurt.  Over a 2-3 year period they average out to an uncanny resemblance to their career averages.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

With Jose Iglesias in the shortstop 'on-deck-circle', Jose Reyes falls in the category of 'rent-a-player' for the Sox for the remainder of this season. And for this you would give up Drew's potential successor in Reddick and a valuable infielder (starter/backup) either Lowrie or Scutaro and a decent prospect.

You're way off base and ready to get picked off!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from plinny. Show plinny's posts

Bill Hall plays every position on the field and none of them very good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

It would take a weekend of complete debauchery and drunken stupor, along with a complete loss of sanity on the part of Theo, Lucchino, Henry and Warner.

And I will love to see Reyes as Jeter's replacement.  What Jeter offers in intangibles makes up for his lack of range.  What Reyes lacks in intangibles and attitude diminishes all his talent.  Baseball is not just offensive numbers.  It is a team sport and relies on winning attitude, willingness to play hard every day, on every play, and do the little things that make others and the team better.  Reyes is notoriously short on these attributes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

yeah parhunter,
    what the SOX need at SS is a hard-working player, who loves his teammates, and does a lot of hugging.
    oh wait, THEO found that player a few years ago--LUGO.

i'll take REYES whether he hugs his teammates or not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I would LOVE Jose Reyes on this team.  He would be a good fit in my opinion.  However the only is not only would it take top talent to get him, but it would also require a huge financial commitment and I don't know if I want to spend that kinda money with Jose Iglesias waiting in the wings. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take to get Jose Reyes?:
    [QUOTE]Lowrie and Scuturo can hold down the fort until Pedroia comes back.  They need pitching.  They need BP help.  That's the number 1 priority. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

I agree DirtWater, we also have Navarro who has been turning heads in the minors we can recall.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

[QUOTE]With Jose Iglesias in the shortstop 'on-deck-circle', Jose Reyes falls in the category of 'rent-a-player' for the Sox for the remainder of this season. And for this you would give up Drew's potential successor in Reddick and a valuable infielder (starter/backup) either Lowrie or Scutaro and a decent prospect. You're way off base and ready to get picked off!
    Posted by dustcover[/QUOTE]

Isn't he a few years away though?

I like the idea of going after Reyes.  We get an excellent shortstop and keep him from the Yanks, and the Yanks get stuck with Jeter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

An apparent head case (and based on my recent travels very much maligned in New York, by fans & media), who would make Manny (and I liked Manny) look like Mother Teresa

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Not more than you think as his heir apparent is ready to take over at SS for METS...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

Lets just hope Peddy is out just a short time. I saw Iglesias play 4 games in Raleigh this past weekend and he seems a long way from being a major league hitter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

I'd rather the Sox take whatever funny money they'd ill-conceivably throw at Reyes and put it towards starting pitching depth and the BP.

Considering:

1) Lester is the only sure bet the Sox have

2) Beckett is a yearly grab-bag, you never know which version will show up (and I LOVE Josh Beckett)

3) Bucky has proven he's a legitimate 2nd starter; after Lester he's the next best sure bet

4) Lackey is A) A mouth-breather and B) Good for 4-5 runs given up a game so that makes him a 3rd or 4th starter at best in the uber hyper competitive AL East?  I hope not

5) Knuckle Ball Ned aka "Timaaaaaaay", has a gut to make most 60+ yr old coaches jealous; A great spot starter and maybe 5th starter but for how long?

I won't even mention that other guy... thank god he's finisimo.

So that makes 2 legitimate starts in Lester and Bucky, a 50/50 with Beckett (on a yearly basis, this year he is lights-out), and one mouth-breather and one AARP.

I'm not saying the Sox need to go get a franchise pitcher, but they definitely need to have something to push Lackey to the absolute back of the rotation and get Timmy back into the BP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Reyes is a dynamic player. I would trade Iglesias for him in one minute. However, we would have to be able to sign him to an extension. I don't know if the payroll could be expanded for that. He would not come cheap.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Scutaro/lowrie are fringe players.  They are super subs, are neither is longterm solutions for the SOX.  Reddick is a fringe player who very likely will never be more than a replacement level player, especially on the SOX.  Anderson is another player who could go and not hurt virtually at all.  None of these are long term players for the sox.  Reyes is a free agent at years end.  I am talking about renting the player.  I wouldn't sign him long term.  Extend him for an additional year...maybe.  I'm just saying if you can rent him for short cost in players you have to consider it, especially now with peddy hurt.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

if the SOX get REYES, you can buy your WS tickets right now.
    and YES, i would throw IGGY into the trading package.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

inglesias with 1 extra base hit at AAA, a double, you can have him if he'll fetch us reyes...also realize it'll take a lot more however 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Scutaro/lowrie are fringe players.  They are super subs, are neither is longterm solutions for the SOX.  Reddick is a fringe player who very likely will never be more than a replacement level player, especially on the SOX.  Anderson is another player who could go and not hurt virtually at all.  None of these are long term players for the sox.  Reyes is a free agent at years end.  I am talking about renting the player.  I wouldn't sign him long term.  Extend him for an additional year...maybe.  I'm just saying if you can rent him for short cost in players you have to consider it, especially now with peddy hurt.
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]

I'm a little confused by your post.  Your not suggesting that we trade Lowrie/scutaro/anderson/reddick for Reyes?

because I think any package would have to start with Iglesias/doubront or Iglesias/Kalish.   I think reyes is a great player and would love him in Boston, but I'd be more than happy with a defensive wizard there as well. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

You guys are overvaluing Reyes a lot. There is a reason people in New York HATE him - he is arrogant, cocky, terrible with his teammates over many years, is streaky with his down times very low, has been accused of being very lazy, and has frequent moments of being in la la land. For such a dynamic player that he is, too often he makes terrible decisions on the basepaths. I know many Mets fans, and, along with the media, he isn't popular with either one of them. That should tell you something.