What would it take to get Jose Reyes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

Re: What would it take to get Jose Reyes?

gee bigpanther, REYES sounds like a guy that played for BOSTON for about 8 years; he gave the SOX a great 7 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I listen to a lot of NY sports talk radio, and it seems like there is a large vocal crowd that wants NY to figure out a way to keep Reyes.....

Seems most NY'ers like Reyes in a Mets uniform. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

gee bigpanther, REYES sounds like a guy that played for BOSTON for about 8 years; he gave the SOX a great 7 years.

On the assumption that Manny wore one, Reyes couldn't carry Manny's jock.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Except Reyes doesn't hit 40 homeruns and 120 RBIs. He'll be lucky to hit 10 and 60 these days. There's a big difference between the two. I understand that his average is quite high right now, but his numbers over the last three years don't show that that will last. I like his WAR numbers, some of the best over the years, but I just think there are too many negatives.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

reyes will be tough call for the sox, if they really believe that jose iglesias is their ss of the future then no reyes. but if they have any doubts about jose then they should go after him as shortstops of his caliber rarely are available. The only issue i have with reyes is that i do not see where he fits into our line up. As it stands our line up is this:

ellsbury
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    youk
    ortiz
    crawford
    lowrie
    drew
    salty

Now with the recent news about pedroia likely needing surgery you could simply slot reyes into his spot in the 2 hole. When pedroia comes back, I would think reyes would be then moved the 7 spot where lowrie usually bats(he will prob be part of the trade). He actually fits there quite well as he would gives us back to back speed threats with crawford hitting ahead of him. The cost is what i am not sure of but i think if we offered something like lowrie/iglesias(reyes replacement), reddick, and say one more b/b- level prospect that should get a deal done considering that he is a rental player unless we sign him long term which if we gave up those guys we would. I would i am all for getting jose reyes. The need for him is even greater now with pedroia likely having surgery and lowrie battling injury and scutaro just coming back from the DL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

redsoxpride,

the need for REYES is that he is a REAL SS.
    the SOX don't have one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

the yazzer, 

i agree that there is certainly a need for reyes, as i am starting to question jose iglesias as the longterm answer to the sox ss problems. His defense is unquestionably great but he provides little to nothing with the stick. I think we need to call him up and have him start at ss and have lowrie /scutaro play 2nd(where they both belong). We need to see what we have in iglesias as the chance to acquire an allstar caliber ss is rare. we have already established lowrie is not the answer as he cannot field the position. Jose while great defensively is not hitting in AAA but is starting to hit better as of late. Call him up, start him and bat him 9th. Not only will this give us a chance to see what he can do at the major league level, it also showcases him to other teams. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

as for the cost, i think people are overvaluing what half a season of reyes is worth. When the braves traded mark texeira at the deadline years ago all they got was kotchman and a prospect who was by no means an upper level one. That was for a gold glove, power hitting first basebmen. I doubt reyes would cost more than that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Reyes would be overpriced, a rent-a-player, etc.

Sox may have other needs going down the stretch - another starter, a replacement middle/closing reliever for Jenks.

OF is in good shape, despite Drew and Cameron.

Plenty of IFs on the Red Sox, but you never have enough pitching.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

reyes would not be a rent a player if the sox asked for a window to sign him long term as part of the deal. Also, there likely not be any quality starters available at the deadline. Liriano might be available and he would be the best of the lot. There is an extremely slight chance that jered weaver could be available but i would not count on it. In terms of relievers yes we will probably need one to replace jenks/ hill and that guy is mike adams. He can be had and there is nobody better on the market. But his cost would not be that great and we could still go after reyes as well. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The only two Sox minor leaguers off limits would be Anthony Rinaudo and Andrew Miller --I would listen on all other minor league players especially if they could work out a 72 hour window to sign and trade. If they are going to deal with the Mets I would consider Beltran for JD to enlarge the package and kind of offset to give them both fresh starts.

Reyes and Beltran for Iggy, JD, Reddick, Lars Anderson Jed Lowrie and two other prospects.

No sign and trade---Reyes for Reddick, Lowrie and Anderson.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The only two Sox minor leaguers off limits would be Anthony Rinaudo and Andrew Miller ...

Andrew Miller?

Career 5.84 ERA  1.736 WHIP
    2010:  7.84 ERA  2.357 WHIP

He's doing pretty good in AAA, except for his 5.1 BB/IP.

He's been in professional ball for 6 years. What makes you think he's untouchable at this point in his career?

I know he has talent and could turn it around, but he's been on 9 different minor league teams and a couple major league teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

I listen to a lot of NY sports talk radio, and it seems like there is a large vocal crowd that wants NY to figure out a way to keep Reyes.....

Seems most NY'ers like Reyes in a Mets uniform. 
    Jesus is a Sox fan.

My impression from listening to the same radio, sporacically over the last few weeks, is that there is a split.  Basically he may be a $10 million dollar talent with a $.10 head.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take to get Jose Reyes?:
    [QUOTE]The only two Sox minor leaguers off limits would be Anthony Rinaudo and Andrew Miller --I would listen on all other minor league players especially if they could work out a 72 hour window to sign and trade. If they are going to deal with the Mets I would consider Beltran for JD to enlarge the package and kind of offset to give them both fresh starts. Reyes and Beltran for Iggy, JD, Reddick, Lars Anderson Jed Lowrie and two other prospects. No sign and trade---Reyes for Reddick, Lowrie and Anderson.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with this.  Big difference with a rent a player versus one in which you intend to sign long term.  Don't forget there is a substantial financial hit with him, as the sox are at the cap, so what 40% hit on his salary?  Only include Iggy if you sign him long term, and only sign him long term if you don't think iggy can become a 250/325/400 hitter at least. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

y'all are nuts!!  Reyes is a screwball!  A Zambrano waiting to happen!  We don't need any part of him!  This team has it all....talent, chemistry, and desire... don't mess with it!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotironskillet. Show hotironskillet's posts

Trade Iglesias for Reyes? No way. Iglesias is young and his bat is still developing. he needs to fill out a little more and gain some more muscle mass. He's defense is second to none and won't decline nearly as fast as Reyes' will at this poit in his career. Iglesias was signed to be the long term shortstop. I don't see them trading him in for a player with attitude issues that would cost a lot to extend a contract for.

Sections
Shortcuts