What would it take to pry Hernandez loose from Seattle?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

What would it take to pry Hernandez loose from Seattle?

Seatlle isn't going anywhere this season and only has 2 trading chips, if they opt for rebuilding. This guy is arguably among the best pitchers in baseball and pitching is what won the 2010 World Series for the Giants.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GL'SFRANK. Show GL'SFRANK's posts

Re: What would it take to pry Hernandez loose from Seattle?

Cashman is going to give Seattle a call very soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Kalish, Iglesias, Bard, Doubront, Ranaudo, and another prospect or two. No idea what else you have in the minors. Enjoy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take to pry Hernandez loose from Seattle?:
    [QUOTE]Cashman is going to give Seattle a call very soon.
    Posted by GL'SFRANK[/QUOTE]He'd better. Otherwise he might be Theo's assistant GM next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]Kalish, Iglesias, Bard, Doubront, Ranaudo, and another prospect or two. No idea what else you have in the minors. Enjoy.
    Posted by StatsFromLouie[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't have to give up all of that to get him.  So you're saying that you're giving Seattle 2 starters, 2 starting pitchers and a closer for there 2012 team?

I think Kalish, Doubront, Ranaudo and Hassan would get it done... but I don't think Theo covets Hernandez and I don't think he wants to completely dump the farm system.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to What would it take to pry Hernandez loose from Seattle?:
    [QUOTE] Seatlle isn't going anywhere this season and only has 2 trading chips, if they opt for rebuilding. This guy is arguably among the best pitchers in baseball and pitching is what won the 2010 World Series for the Giants.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]
    Jon Lester and Dustin Pedroia would get the Mariners' attention.

But, seriously, the Mariners are only 2.5 games out of first as I write. Seattle has two of baseball's finest young pitchers in Felix Hernandez and Michael Pineda as the Mariners groom some decent hitting prospects in the minors. The Mariners have a shot of being competitive before the expiration of the Hernandez contract following the 2014 season, so I don't think anything could pry Hernandez away from Seattle this season. Regardless, the Red Sox would have difficulty making a competitive offer with their somewhat depleted farm system.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What would it take to pry Hernandez loose from Seattle? : Jon Lester and Dustin Pedroia would get the Mariners' attention. But, seriously, the Mariners are only 2.5 games out of first as I write. Seattle has two of baseball's finest young pitchers in Felix Hernandez and Michael Pineda as the Mariners groom some decent hitting prospects in the minors. The Mariners have a shot of being competitive before the expiration of the Hernandez contract following the 2014 season, so I don't think anything could pry Hernandez away from Seattle this season. Regardless, the Red Sox would have difficulty making a competitive offer with their somewhat depleted farm system.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Not only that but they have Hernandez locked up at a pretty reasonable deal as well.  We've seen teams completely turn the corner in the span of a year.

Tampa bay of 2008
    San Diego of 2010 (granted they didn't make the playoffs)
    Brewers of 2008
    Rangers of 2010
    Soon to be KC (2012?)

Point being, the turnaround for teams is quick.  If Seattle has Felix under contract, might as well keep him if they think they can contend within the next few years.

I know the Yanks have some ammo in the minors, so maybe the Mariners think they can stock up and survive parting with Felix but right now... I don't see it happening.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take to pry Hernandez loose from Seattle? : You wouldn't have to give up all of that to get him.  So you're saying that you're giving Seattle 2 starters, 2 starting pitchers and a closer for there 2012 team? I think Kalish, Doubront, Ranaudo and Hassan would get it done... but I don't think Theo covets Hernandez and I don't think he wants to completely dump the farm system.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]
    Good grief ... that package has no player whom Baseball America has ranked among the top 65 prospects in any year.

In July 2009, the Mariners reportedly* turned down a far better offer for only a year and two months of Felix Hernandez. The price tag has not gone down now that Hernandez has won a Cy Young Award and signed an extension through 2014.

* http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2009591133_mariners_turned_down_three-way.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take to pry Hernandez loose from Seattle? : Good grief ... that package has no player whom  Baseball America has ranked among the top 65 prospects in any year. In July 2009, the Mariners reportedly* turned down a far better offer for only a year and two months of Felix Hernandez. The price tag has not gone down now that Hernandez has won a Cy Young Award and signed an extension through 2014. * http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2009591133_mariners_turned_down_three-way.html
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Unless they get totally overwhelmed with an offer, they aren't trading Felix anytime soon.  You're right, looking back at it I overstated what the deal would take.  If they do trade Felix this year, STUPID STUPID STUPID.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd rather have Pineda.  Not a huge dropoff in talent, but a whole heck of a lot cheaper.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take to pry Hernandez loose from Seattle? : Hill, I for one don't see the M's dealing Hernandez unless they get a couple of young proven impact players in return, as in ML proven.... I don't disagree the Sox and M's don't match up well or rather I don't think the Sox would deplete an already thinned farm for Hernandez. We have some pretty good prospects. I think the M's would love to have a kid like Kalish to play left, he's a better player/prospect than Saunders...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    The Red Sox had the No. 52, No. 67 and No. 97 prospects on Baseball America's Top 100 prospect list this year (Ryan Kalish was No. 96 last year, trailing Michael Saunders at No. 30, before both lost their rooklie status). Jose Iglesias at No. 42 was the only Red Sox on mlb.com's Top 50 prospect list this year.

In contrast, the Kansas City Royals had Nos. 8, 9, 10, 18, 19, 51, 68, 69 and 83 on the BA list. The Yankees came in at Nos. 3, 30, 41, 43, 78 and 98. Even the humble Mariners had players at No. 12, 16 and 53.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2011/2611328.html

Despite their 2009 BA rankings, Ryan Kalish has outperformed Michael Saunders to date (although Saunders has played a stellar centerfield this year*). The Mariners are auditioning 24-year-old leftfielder Carlos Peguero, who last year led the Southern League in homeruns. Peguero flashed some glove and arm Friday evening.**

* http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0

** http://mlb.mlb.com/media/ext/video.jsp?mlbPlayerId=451713&sponsor=CBS&fingerprint=L%3A390%3A57661ef07671d67f57ee27ddb9e550fb&identityPointId=killian73

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I'd rather have Pineda.  Not a huge dropoff in talent, but a whole heck of a lot cheaper.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    Michael Pineda with his contract status is probably as important to a rebuilding team as is Felix Hernandez with his contract status. Either would require a nearly impossible cache of talent in a trade.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I think any deal should include the best manager in the game as well !! Oh, and throw in a Third base coach as well !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hey great thread - not really.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I'm starting to think Baseball America just flat out s*cks.  Look at who scouting book considers our top 6 prospects, all in the top 100 overall - Reddick, Iglesias, Bowden, Anderson, Ranaudo & Brentz.  Other than Anderson, they're all having fantastic seasons. Contrast that with the six Yankees in the BA top 100, where every one is performing below expectations, with the exception of Dellin Betances.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    A writer at The Scouting Book addresses the differences:

http://www.scoutingbook.com/blog/baseball-america-releases-ba-top-100-prospects-for-2011-12511

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Agree Kim.
    And I'll add that it would take 10,000 heavy-duty crowbars and mucho lettuce to pry him off the west coast.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Well, I live out here in Seattle. And from what I hear/read, Felix is going nowhere.
    The team is rebuilding and he is at the core of it.

NY will have to add another aging arm:)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I just don't think it's possible to get Felix, at any even semi-reasonable price and certainly not at any price the Sox would be willing to pay.  He's an absolute top-of-the-rotation pitcher and someone you build a team around, not someone you trade for players who might be better position players than what you've got. 

If/When a team does that they're trading an estabished pitcher for position players, weakening their pitching staff and.... pitching wins games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

I do not want the MAriners to listen if the price is so high that the system gets decimated.

As was said earlier.... when you have 5 decent players it takes 5 injuries for you to have ZERO.... when you have 1 great player it takes one inury for you to have Zero.....  the Risk of giving it all up for no return are immensely increased..... NO THANKS!

Ifr Buchholz has to go in the deal the gain is just not enough to warrant any discussion further.....
    Although Felix is a great pitcher he still pitches 35 times a year.. he still gets 16-18 wins.... and  Bucholz should be within two wins of that unless injured.... SO then you throw in 4 players for two additional wins?  NO THANKS! 

Find some more young talent and teach it to be good enough to be a superior #4 and #5 starter.... In other words find throwers who warrant a  slightly higher rotation spot and fill the last two spots with them.

I LIKE FELIX a ton..... My mouth waters at the prospect of having him on the team, but the loss of all those players and prospects just fuilled my mouth with BORAX!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

King Felix will be pitching for Yankees - just a matter of time.  He will become their #1, with CC & AJ at #2 & #3.

But that should not worry Sox.  Sox are set with #1,  #2  & #3 for at least next 3 years, and will just need a few adjustments at #4 and #5.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ifr Buchholz has to go in the deal the gain is just not enough to warrant any discussion further.....
    Although Felix is a great pitcher he still pitches 35 times a year.. he still gets 16-18 wins.... and  Bucholz should be within two wins of that unless injured.... SO then you throw in 4 players for two additional wins?  NO THANKS! 

You are looking at only decisions. Look at what the team record would be in 35 starts with Felix vs Buch. I'd guess the differential would be more like 6-8 wins.

Maybe 28-7 to 21-14.

I'm not saying I am for trading Buch and 3-4 kids for Felix, I am just pointing out my percieved win differential varies from yours.

I do think Felix is the "king", but I was for the Buch, Jed and Ellsbury for Santana deal as well, and that wouldn't have worked out too well either.

Our hopes lie in what we got for starters. I doubt Theo is going to spend big for another starter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to What would it take to pry Hernandez loose from Seattle?:
    [QUOTE] Seatlle isn't going anywhere this season and only has 2 trading chips, if they opt for rebuilding. This guy is arguably among the best pitchers in baseball and pitching is what won the 2010 World Series for the Giants.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]  AS DAD WOULD SAY............. "SON,  ANY MAN THAT LUSTS FOR THY NEIGHBOR, WILL PAY DEARLY IN THE END" !!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad Theo "lusted after" AGon.