What would it take?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

What would it take?

To get Rizzo back?  Could the Sox trade Sands and De LaRosa for Rizzo?  Then the  2010 trade for Gonzo would be reduced to something like Casey Kelly for Allen Webster.  Pretty even, in my book

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: What would it take?

Maybe throw in Doubront - I'd rather see Tazawa in the rotation anyway.

Casey Kelly is making his MLB debut tonight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to What would it take?:
    [QUOTE]To get Rizzo back?  Could the Sox trade Sands and De LaRosa for Rizzo?  Then the  2010 trade for Gonzo would be reduced to something like Casey Kelly for Allen Webster.  Pretty even, in my book
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

Since Rizzo was on the tear, and now he is cooling off.  Batting .250, only two homeruns, etc for the month of August.  He is just like Lavarnway who was on the tear last year, and now he is struggling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Rizzo is 23 year old and considered a top notch future star.
    He has charisma and is a great story.
    Anyone who's new to MLB (or even veterans) have ups and downs.
    Good players like Middlebrooks adjust on the fly.
    I'm sure Rizzo will, too.
    Remember, Trout was hitting .220 .;ast season and the Angels sent him back to AAA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

What is the fascination that Red Sox fans have with former prospects? Why is it that many here seem to value them more highly than some of the other talent out there? I'm surprised there weren't people insisting that the Sox should have gotten Hanley Ramirez in the trade with the Dodgers. It's not that I don't like Rizzo. I do. Just wondering about the apparrent obsession. That's all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

More likely the Cubs would be willing to give us Bryan Lahair....Cubs envisioned him at 1b before acquiring Rizzo. 20 Hrs in 498 Major League AB's....K's too much....29, but he is a local guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take?:
    [QUOTE]What is the fascination that Red Sox fans have with former prospects? Why is it that many here seem to value them more highly than some of the other talent out there? I'm surprised there weren't people insisting that the Sox should have gotten Hanley Ramirez in the trade with the Dodgers. It's not that I don't like Rizzo. I do. Just wondering about the apparrent obsession. That's all.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

I'm not obsessed, just trying to undo the Gonzalez trade, since his contract was dumped onto LA and we now have an organizational hole at 1B.  No prospects in line since Anerson was traded, no real defensive gem in sight and no good FA 1B to sign that I recall.  If Rizzo was a really good prospect, then getting him back would cement the position for a few years while another prospect is developed.

As for LaHair, he is now as much an outfielder as anything else.  That tells me his defense is weak; meanwhile his K rate is Kingmanesque.  If his defense were solid to flashy I would say yes.  But we don't need any Dick Stuarts on this team.  Everyone seems to think AGon's bat is easily replaceable (though I do not), but that ignores the fact that he was as good defensively as anyone in the league, and he made every one of our infielders that much better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Oh, and we already have our own LaHair.  We just got him from the Dodgers.  And he is better in the sense that he is a little younger and is RHanded.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to What would it take?:
    [QUOTE]To get Rizzo back?  Could the Sox trade Sands and De LaRosa for Rizzo?  Then the  2010 trade for Gonzo would be reduced to something like Casey Kelly for Allen Webster.  Pretty even, in my book

Unfortunately it's probably impossible par.  Theo has little chance of rebuilding the Cubs as it is because you know at some point hes going to make more bad decisions.  Rizzo is a kid to build around, I doubt Theo trades him again but it would be great to plug him in with Middy and company. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the sox should just sign swisher in the offseason. 1st base hole filled. and he can always move to the OF if we come across a promising replacement

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

craze, you are probably right, and Rizzo might not be the only young potential stud 1Bman who has not yet fulfilled their promise.  It will be interesting to see how the Sox fill that position now.  It wasn't exactly manned by a superstar in either of their WS years.

As for Swisher, is he a good enough fielder to plug into 1B for 150 games?  I've never been a fan, particularly, but he has been a productive offensive force for the Yankees.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealPedroCiriaco. Show TheRealPedroCiriaco's posts

Lars Anderson, people.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: What would it take?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would it take? : I'm not obsessed, just trying to undo the Gonzalez trade, since his contract was dumped onto LA and we now have an organizational hole at 1B.  No prospects in line since Anerson was traded, no real defensive gem in sight and no good FA 1B to sign that I recall.  If Rizzo was a really good prospect, then getting him back would cement the position for a few years while another prospect is developed. As for LaHair, he is now as much an outfielder as anything else.  That tells me his defense is weak; meanwhile his K rate is Kingmanesque.  If his defense were solid to flashy I would say yes.  But we don't need any Dick Stuarts on this team.  Everyone seems to think AGon's bat is easily replaceable (though I do not), but that ignores the fact that he was as good defensively as anyone in the league, and he made every one of our infielders that much better.

I didn't say you are obsessed and you can't undo the Gonzalez trade. It's not only you. It's just that many who post here seem to want to recover former Red Sox prospects at any cost and I find it interesting. That's all.
    I understand the gaping hole that has been left by Agon's departure and how it will be all but impossible to fill.
    Really.
    I get it.
    I agree with you that Rizzo would be a very good choice to trade for and it would be great if that happened. Rather not deal with Theo, though. That hasn't worked out too well since he went to Chicago.
    I don't know much about La Hair, but I will say that having had the pleasure of seeing Dr. Strangeglove play I've got to agree that we don't need another one of those. I don't think Agon's bat or his defensive skills are easily replaceable or if they can be replaced at all.
    I'm not attacking you. I apologize if my writing style seems adversarial. I don't mean it to (well...sometimes, I do, but not in this case).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

No need to apologize.  I didn't feel attacked.  I was trying to separate myself from posters who actually do seem to always want to get former prospects back.  In this case if we got Rizzo back for (some of) the prospects we got in the AGon trade, it is somewhat like we rented AGon for two good years while Rizzo matured into a fulltime ML ballplayer and potential all-star.  If you keep Webster, it is kind of like keeping Casey Kelly, and if you get Rizzo back for the two prospects I mentioned, then the trade to LA is much more like the Sox dumped Beckett's and Crawford's contract onto LA without much cost in terms of player talent.