What would this combo bring in return? LAV, ELLS, BAILEY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

What would this combo bring in return? LAV, ELLS, BAILEY

With D. Ross signed for two years and Swihart about 2-3 years away, and if you make DeLaRosa or Tazawa the closer (many scouts project De LaRosa as closer, not a starter)...

Could this combination bring a top notch starter like Dickey, or a top young OFer like J. Upton?

What say you all?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: What would this combo bring in return? LAV, ELLS, BAILEY

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With D. Ross signed for two years and Swihart about 2-3 years away, and if you make DeLaRosa or Tazawa the closer (many scouts project De LaRosa as closer, not a starter)...

Could this combination bring a top notch starter like Dickey, or a top young OFer like J. Upton?

What say you all?

[/QUOTE]

First off, IMO I would not trade Ellsbury for Upton even up...so including Lav and Bailey in a deal to get Upton would be overpaying. I would not trade Ellsbury for Dickey even up either...haven't we been through the knuckleball experience already...although Dickey is a hybrid knuckleballer I would not pay that much for him...Bailey and Lavarnway for Dickey I might do and then sign FA Soriano to close.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Just what we need.  Another knuckleballer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

What say you all?

[/QUOTE]

There is no doubt we need to give something to get a return but Dickey is 38.  His best year came this season and he pitches in the NL so I'm not sure I would trade any good prospects, or Ells for him.  That may be like giving Bagwell away for Anderson.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

First off, IMO I would not trade Ellsbury for Upton even up...so including Lav and Bailey in a deal to get Upton would be overpaying. I would not trade Ellsbury for Dickey even up either...haven't we been through the knuckleball experience already...although Dickey is a hybrid knuckleballer I would not pay that much for him...Bailey and Lavarnway for Dickey I might do and then sign FA Soriano to close.

So Andrew Bailey with his 7.04 ERA and 0.0 WAR and Ryan Lavarway with his .157 battting average and negative 1.3 WAR for R.A. Dickey with his 2.73 ERA and 4.6 WAR in 33 starts?

What's wrong with that trade proposal?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First off, IMO I would not trade Ellsbury for Upton even up...so including Lav and Bailey in a deal to get Upton would be overpaying. I would not trade Ellsbury for Dickey even up either...haven't we been through the knuckleball experience already...although Dickey is a hybrid knuckleballer I would not pay that much for him... Bailey and Lavarnway for Dickey I might do and then sign FA Soriano to close.

So Andrew Bailey with his 7.04 ERA and 0.0 WAR and Ryan Lavarway with his .157 battting average and negative 1.3 WAR for R.A. Dickey with his 2.73 ERA and 4.6 WAR in 33 starts?

[/QUOTE]

Realistically, there is no way that that is how teams are viewing Lavarnway and Bailey.  That's like saying the Ciriaco's .293 average and 1.1 WAR makes him an above average shortstop in trade value.  If you were a GM, and you were offered either Ciriaco OR Lavarnway AND Bailey, and you took Ciriaco, you'd be fired.

For the sake of comparison, Tulowitzki hit .287 and had a WAR of 0.3.  Based on those two stats that you picked out, Ciriaco is a better SS than Tulowitzki. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

First off, IMO I would not trade Ellsbury for Upton even up...so including Lav and Bailey in a deal to get Upton would be overpaying. I would not trade Ellsbury for Dickey even up either...haven't we been through the knuckleball experience already...although Dickey is a hybrid knuckleballer I would not pay that much for him... Bailey and Lavarnway for Dickey I might do and then sign FA Soriano to close.

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone abides by short-term results.  If that was the case, no one would've traded for ARod after his first season when he hit .204 with -0- HRs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Bailey & Lava <flush>

who would want these guys honestly?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bailey & Lava <flush>

[/QUOTE]

Sure, and that is the logic for getting rid of Reddck, a few bad ABs to start his career.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bailey & Lava <flush>

[/QUOTE]

Sure, and that is the logic for getting rid of Reddck, a few bad ABs to start his career.

[/QUOTE]

exactly! then when we trade lava/bailey away and they have a good game he will jump at the chance to insult ben. what a dolt!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Skadude22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Realistically, there is no way that that is how teams are viewing Lavarnway and Bailey.  That's like saying the Ciriaco's .293 average and 1.1 WAR makes him an above average shortstop in trade value.  If you were a GM, and you were offered either Ciriaco OR Lavarnway AND Bailey, and you took Ciriaco, you'd be fired.

For the sake of comparison, Tulowitzki hit .287 and had a WAR of 0.3.  Based on those two stats that you picked out, Ciriaco is a better SS than Tulowitzki. 

[/QUOTE]

Tulo plays his home games sat Coors which usually makes an average offensive player look great.  Who really knows if Tulo would do any better than Ciriaco at Fenway? 

Remember Theo's great idea to bring in Renteria in hopes of equal defense to Cabrera but more offense?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What a troll.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

Bailey & Lava <flush>

[/QUOTE]

Well let's see geo...Bailey was involved in the Farrell compensation negotiations with Toronto, but the Sox wouldn't give up on him that quickly and got Aviles to go instead.

Lavarnway is a promising young catcher that has some hitting ability, just not at a Carlton Fisk level...although at 25 he could still turn into a decent catcher at the major league level...as someone mentioned earlier, Billy Beane might be all over a kid like him.

Speaking of Billy Beane...you think he would take Lavarnway and a one or two of the Sox top prospects for Brett Anderson...I wouldn't mind seeing that kid pitch in Boston.e

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually nothing Hill...the Sox would be giving up a experienced closer and potentially decent young catcher for a 38 year old knuckleballer...wait...after writing this...there is something wrong...I would not trade those two for Dickey if I'm the Sox GM.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What say you all?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Plus we already have a hybrid Kballer. We traded Anderson and got Steven Wright back.

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/wright-steven.htm

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Come on Hill...Your taking stats of a guy just returning from a bad thumb injury and a prospects stats for the month of sept? How about Lavs career ML stats and baileys career stats?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Problem is they'd be selling low on all of them right now.  It's more in the timing than in the names.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...add Aceves to the mix as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Ells has just one year before becoming a FA; Bailey is oft injured; Lavarnway has potential, but that is all he is at this point...a 25-year old prospect.  I suspect some of you are placing their value too high.  Dickey may be as good a starter over the next 3 or 4 years as anyone the Sox now have.  He is at his prime right now.  I understand those that do not want another knuckelballer.  I happen to love the knuckelball anyone who can throw it successfully.  He is a perfect fit in a rotation with 3 or 4 guys who throw in the mid 90s, IMO.  But if you think these three will bring more, then great. 

Who might they bring?   Could we get more than Anderson, who has had some success but has a spotty record thus far?  Would it be enough to get Ike Davis AND Dickey?  Are there other OFers or 1Bmen or SP who would be better options that might work for this combo of players?  Would Aceves sweeten the pot enough to get two players, a decent OFer or 1Bman AND a top of the rotation starter? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

Bailey & Lava <flush>

[/QUOTE]

Georom, this time I have to take issue with you.  Well we can't agree all the time, can we?  My take is that Lavarnway is going to be an outstanding catcher and power hitter.  Sure, he sucked in his short stint this season with us but keep in mind that he was told, ordered, hectored, to work exclusively on his catching this past season and his hitting took a back seat.  I've seen what he has done the previous seasons in the minors and I believe in the young man.

Remember there were a few here who were all over Pedroia's case late in the 2006 season when he got off to a ragged start and by early 2007 a number of people wanted us to trade for Ronnie Belliard, ole fat Ronnie.  You weren't one of them I don't think but this board was full of them back then.  I want to keep Ryan and believe he can be a solid player for us for a long time.  Now with Ross signed for two years, Salty could become available in trade or maybe switched to first base.  We have options with him now which we  didn't have before.  I'm not a big Cherington fan as everyone knows but whether it was a genius move or dumb luck this was a good signing IMO.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you Seabeachfred and Georom both realize that I am also a retired high school  teacher of history .  That makes three of us on this forum. It is indeed a small world.  I love your posts. Keep it going. This forum has too many bootlickers.

[/QUOTE]

That's fascinating. Seabeachfred actually sounds like Geo now that you mention it. Calling all posters pollyannas, etc. Hmmmmm. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

What say you all?

[/QUOTE]

Lav and Bailey only worth a bucket of balls and Ells is only good when healthy which seems like never.....So what would anyone want to give up for junk.........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The biggest problem with that combination is that you need to find a team that needs a closer, a CF, and a BUC.

The second problem with that combo is that we would then need to find a closer and CF.

Sections
Shortcuts