What would you do this offseason?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

What would you do this offseason?

What I would do:

- Re-Sign Napoli and Salty

- Ditch Stephen Drew and turn to Bogaerts as my SS.

- Try and re-sign Ellsbury, but if Scott Freakin Boras drives the price past 15 mill a year, I would ditch him for a veteran on a short term deal (Beltran, Granderson, Byrd)

- Decline Thornton's option and, depending on how he does in the playoffs, maybe re-sign him for cheap

- Hanrahan and Bailey: sayonara.

- Not change the rotation at all

- Sign Jesse Crain

- Sign utility infielder (Alex Gonzalez?)

Lineup (assuming Ellsbury leaves):

Victorino

Nava

Pedroia

Ortiz

Beltran

Napoli

Saltalamacchia

Middlebrooks

Bogaerts

Bench:

Gomes

Carp

Lavarnway

Gonzalez

Rotation:

Lester

Buchholz

Lackey

Peavy

Doubront

Bullpen:

Dempster

Miller

Crain

Workman

Tazawa

Breslow

CL: Uehara

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: What would you do this offseason?

Yup, not bad.  I'd dump Gomes though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-See if Napoli wants $20M/2.  Assuming he says no, I'd offer Napoli, Drew, Salty, and Ells a QO.

2-Assuming Salty declines, I'd ask about Ruiz for two year.

3-Depending on how far we go, I might prepare the RSN for a bridge year.  You could let all four go, fill in cheaply with Bogaerts and Bradley, and cheap platoons at 1B and C, and re-stock the farm, while still having a competitive team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

1-See if Napoli wants $20M/2.  Assuming he says no, I'd offer Napoli, Drew, Salty, and Ells a QO.

If they all say yes, w'ed be over the luxury limit by about $20-25M, unless we find a way to dump Dempster and others to lessen the tax.

Assuming Napoli's hip checks out OK this winter, I'd offer him $22M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him up to $28M/2. If he refuses, I'd offer him the $14M/1 QO. If he bolts, I'd go after K Morales or a great fielding SS and move Bogey to 3B and Middy to 1B with Carp seeing more 1B duty.

I'd offer Salty $21M/2, and go up to $31M/3. If he says no, I'd overpay him with a short term QO of $14M/1 rather than way overpay for McCann for several years. Maybe by 2015, one of our prospect catchers will be ready.

I'd offer Jacoby $60M/4, which means he walks.

I would not offer Drew a contract, unless Napoli and Morales say no, then I'd think to offer him $16M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him to $22M/2. He would likely say no. I'd rather have a great fielding SS and move Bogey and Middy to 3B and 1B, but I doubt that happens.

2-Assuming Salty declines, I'd ask about Ruiz for two year.

Salty would take $14M/1 unless he thinks he can get $35M/3 or better (doubtful).

Why Ruiz?

3-Depending on how far we go, I might prepare the RSN for a bridge year.  You could let all four go, fill in cheaply with Bogaerts and Bradley, and cheap platoons at 1B and C, and re-stock the farm, while still having a competitive team.

I thought Drew, Napoli, Gomes, Ross, Dempster, and to some extent Victorino were "bridge signings".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a plan:

Sign: Choo to play RF and move Victorino to CF.

Sign: Cheap defensive whiz Brendan Ryan to play SS & move Bogey to 3B & Middy to 1B. (save a ton of dollars).

Sign: Salty to a 1 or 2 year deal, even if we overpay a bit to get him to take it.

Sign: the lefty Irishman RP, Eric O'Flaherty.

1) Choo RF

2) Vict   CF

3) Papi  DH

4) Pedey 2B

5) Middy 1B/3B

6) Nava/Gomes LF

7) Salty C vs RHPs and Bogey 3B/SS vs LHPs

8) Bogey 3B/SS vs RHPs and Ross C vs LHPs (or Carp 1B-Middy 3B-Bogey SS)

9) Ryan SS (Bogey or Ross if Carp plays and Bogey at SS)

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

One thing the Sox will not need in 2014 is left-handed relief pitching.

They will decline Thornton's option.  But will still have  Breslow, Morales, Miller, and Britton under team control.

If anything, they might be unloading 1 or 2 LHRPs, not acquiring more.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Lets win the  W S  first !!!   Enjoy !!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I would resign Ellsbury first before the other three.  IF he doesnt want to return, then Boston can resign the next two to three FA's such as in order, Napoli, Salty and Drew.

But why the world you want to sign Choo.  He is already ranking #3 to #5 best FA available. Meaning his contract could possibility be only 2 to 3 million dollars or less a year than Ellsbury's. Too much to sign him.   Best is to find a temporary CF who should cost twice less than Ellsbury such as Gardner, etc at the same time hopefully he can bat lead off.  Victorino stays in RF.  His hamstring problem will continue to be a problem next year or forever.  Bradley can be the forth OF.  He can rotate with the new CF guy and see who can do a better job over there.

Dont resign any of BP pitching.  Let all go for good.  Sox will return Miller and Bailey (I wouldnt be surprise he will be traded).  Ben will sign a couple cheap BP pitchers like he have done it in past two years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FREE8. Show FREE8's posts

no offense , but who cares right now?

It's Septmeber 25th and the playoffs start next week and you're actually pondering what will happen in the off season? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sign Choo for 4 yr deal $$60M to play LF (been long since I wanted him).  He has one of the strongest arm and solid defense could save pretty good number of runs.  Good OBP guy who can produce 20-20 yearly.  Choo-JBJ-Vic could be one of the best OF combo in the major both offensively and defensively.

Few say Salty has boosted his trade value the most.  We have few potential frachise catchers in the minors in Swihart and Denney but nothing hasn't been promised yet with those two and still few yrs away to have impact.  I won't go beyond 3 yr with Salty but I think Salty might take little bit less to come back to Boston, especially if we have successful postseason.  I see Ben giving Salty 3 yr $39M offer or little more and Salty taking it.  Could add one or two team options.

Try to trade Dempster to NL and minimize return by having the trading team eat some of his salary.

Re-sign Naps to multi yr deal.  Can shift him to DH after Ortiz retires.  I would offer Naps 3 yr $45M.  

Look to extend Lester at discount, if failed, just pick up his option

sign JP Howell.

Trade Carp.  He could net us a solid prospect.  

Lineup

Shin Soo Choo LF

Shane Victorino RF

Dustin Pedroia 2B

David Ortiz DH

Mike Napoli 1B

Will Middlebrooks 3B

Jarrod Saltalamacchia C

Xander Bogaerts SS

Jackie Bradley Jr. CF

Bench: Daniel Nava OF/1B, David Ross C, Jonny Gomes OF, Brock Holt UTIL

Rotation

Clay Buchholz

Jon Lester

Jake Peavy

Felix Doubront

John Lackey

BP

Brandon Workman

Drake Britton

Junichi Tazawa

JP Howell

Rubby De La Rosa

Craig Breslow

Koji Uehara - CL

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I would enjoy this season first and not worry about next year until after the playoffs!!!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

I would enjoy this season first and not worry about next year until after the playoffs!!!!!!!!

Agree, also Post-Season performances both the up and down changes a lot of things.  Another good thing good time to really evaluate what you got. How well they play (especially the kids), under pressure.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

1. Resign Els if numbers are reasonable, if not insert Bradley Jr. in CF

2. Let Napoli go, and trade for a RH power bat with high OBPand low SO to play LF. (or go after Abreu to play 1B)

3. With the acquisition of power bat in LF, make Nava the everyday 1B.

4. Let Drew walk, and put Boggaerts at SS.

5. Resign Salty.

Els CF, Victorino RF, Pedroia 2B, Ortiz DH, new LF'er or Abreu 1B, Middlebrooks 3B, Nava 1B or LF, Salty C, Boggaerts SS, to start the season with the option of juggling the batting order in accordance with who's hot and who's not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I kinda like the Nava/Gomes platoon in LF. Using Nava in RF and 1B occaisonally is fine, but I think it should not happen often. The one who sits makes for a great PH'er and 4th OF'er.

I'm OK with letting JBJ start in CF, but we need to have a plan, in case he struggles. I'm not sure we can go with this OF for an extended time (I cringe thinking of the defense):

LF: Gomes/Carp

CF: Victorino

RF: Nava

I could see us signing a guy like Corey Hart or Mike Morse who could play 1B, but also cover RF, in case JBJ struggles or Shane gets hurt (at which point, Carp plays 1B).

Somewhere within our 3 "holes" (C, 1B, and RF/CF) we need to try and obtain a big bopper clean-up hitter, so we can move Papi to the 3 slot. If we do that, I'm OK with leaving 1 or 2 of the other slots to "in-system" solutions.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I kinda like the Nava/Gomes platoon in LF. Using Nava in RF and 1B occaisonally is fine, but I think it should not happen often. The one who sits makes for a great PH'er and 4th OF'er.

I'm OK with letting JBJ start in CF, but we need to have a plan, in case he struggles. I'm not sure we can go with this OF for an extended time (I cringe thinking of the defense):

I could see us signing a guy like Corey Hart or Mike Morse who could play 1B, but also cover RF, in case JBJ struggles or Shane gets hurt (at which point, Carp plays 1B).

Somewhere within our 3 "holes" (C, 1B, and RF/CF) we need to try and obtain a big bopper clean-up hitter, so we can move Papi to the 3 slot. If we do that, I'm OK with leaving 1 or 2 of the other slots to "in-system" solutions.

Sox4ever

All good points.  However, I do not see Ortiz in the #3 slot.  Neither Pedroia nor Victorino is suited for the leadoff spot for a full season, thus resulting in the need to move one of them down in the order to make room for Ortiz at #3.  I think they'll leave Victorino #2 and Pedroia #3 with Ortiz #4. 

Put a legitimate RH thumper with high OBP and low SO mode at #5, and Ortiz will see a lot more fastballs and should have an over-the-top season.

However, if Els departs, then perhaps they'll be forced to move Victorino to #1, Pedroia #2, and Ortiz #3.  But they'll still need that legitimate RH thumper that I'm dreaming of to hit behind Ortiz.  Personally, acknowledging that it is a risk, I'm still high on going after Abreu.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Peavy pitched 219 innings in 2012...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

All good points.  However, I do not see Ortiz in the #3 slot.  Neither Pedroia nor Victorino is suited for the leadoff spot for a full season, thus resulting in the need to move one of them down in the order to make room for Ortiz at #3.  I think they'll leave Victorino #2 and Pedroia #3 with Ortiz #4. 

Put a legitimate RH thumper with high OBP and low SO mode at #5, and Ortiz will see a lot more fastballs and should have an over-the-top season.

However, if Els departs, then perhaps they'll be forced to move Victorino to #1, Pedroia #2, and Ortiz #3.  But they'll still need that legitimate RH thumper that I'm dreaming of to hit behind Ortiz.  Personally, acknowledging that it is a risk, I'm still high on going after Abreu.

[/QUOTE]

Good points, but I think as Papi ages, he needs strong protection behind him, thus the bat 3rd idea.

If we don't get a "thumper", I'd put Papi 3rd and Pedey 4th.

If we get Choo, we could go...

1) Choo

2) Vict

3) Papi

4) Pedey

5) Thumper

or

3) Pedey

4) Papi

5) Thumper

Papi 5th is not a bad idea, esp against lefties.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Then make your point without wild inaccuracies and exaggerations

Is it really that hard?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts