What would you do this offseason?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: What would you do this offseason?

I think the Gomes/Nava platoon is fine, the defense might be a little subpar but splitting those two against RHP/LHP and having the luxury to pinch hit and play the relievers I think more than makes up for it on the offensive front.

JBJ in CF

and

VIC in RF.

Those two really could play both positions CF/RF....but I would still like to bring in a guy who can provide depth and competition at those two positions.

I'd offer all 4 of (Salty/Naps/Drew/Ellsbury) a QO with the assumption Ellsbury walks, I'd consider not giving Drew one but I'm operating under the assumption that there are teams looking for upgrades at the position (which appears to be the case)  I offer it to Napoli in hopes of bringing him back for one year but I'm willing to try and sign a Morales if he walks (which would net us a pick, if you think no team will sign him with draft pick compensation then great...my plan A at the position works out)  I offer the Q.O. to Salty in hopes of killing his market (or at least depressing it) and bettering our chances of reaching a long term deal with him in the 3/4 year range.

The pitching rotation is going to look very similiar with Buhholz/Lester/Lackey/Doubront/Dempster/peavy  One may be traded or moved to the pen, but then again it always seems like the 6th man always gets into the rotation as someone is bound to be injured.  The minor league depth options of Webster/Ranaudo/RDLR/Workman/Owens should all be one step closer to being MLB regulars as some are in some capacity now and I would expect in some way shape or form a few of those guys to solidify roles in the bullpen and perhaps one in the rotation by years end.

I'd really like to pick up a late inning reliever.  I feel someone such as Webster/Britton/RDLR may fill that role but I want to hedge that bet. 

Boggy at SS, WMB at 3rd....and we roll the dice. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Sign Choo for 4 yr deal $$60M to play LF (been long since I wanted him).  He has one of the strongest arm and solid defense could save pretty good number of runs.  Good OBP guy who can produce 20-20 yearly.  Choo-JBJ-Vic could be one of the best OF combo in the major both offensively and defensively.

Few say Salty has boosted his trade value the most.  We have few potential frachise catchers in the minors in Swihart and Denney but nothing hasn't been promised yet with those two and still few yrs away to have impact.  I won't go beyond 3 yr with Salty but I think Salty might take little bit less to come back to Boston, especially if we have successful postseason.  I see Ben giving Salty 3 yr $39M offer or little more and Salty taking it.  Could add one or two team options.

Try to trade Dempster to NL and minimize return by having the trading team eat some of his salary.

Re-sign Naps to multi yr deal.  Can shift him to DH after Ortiz retires.  I would offer Naps 3 yr $45M.  

Look to extend Lester at discount, if failed, just pick up his option

sign JP Howell.

Trade Carp.  He could net us a solid prospect.  

Lineup

Shin Soo Choo LF

Shane Victorino RF

Dustin Pedroia 2B

David Ortiz DH

Mike Napoli 1B

Will Middlebrooks 3B

Jarrod Saltalamacchia C

Xander Bogaerts SS

Jackie Bradley Jr. CF

Bench: Daniel Nava OF/1B, David Ross C, Jonny Gomes OF, Brock Holt UTIL

Rotation

Clay Buchholz

Jon Lester

Jake Peavy

Felix Doubront

John Lackey

BP

Brandon Workman

Drake Britton

Junichi Tazawa

JP Howell

Rubby De La Rosa

Craig Breslow

Koji Uehara - CL

I like  your plan but I would trade Nava & keep Carp. Carp hits better in the clutch. Also keep Miller & forget Howell

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Very doubtful the Sox pursur any free agent who gets a Qualifyinh Offer (except maybe one of their own).

If they would not give up second round slot money last year, it doesn't bode well for giving up first round money this year..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Outfield: Gomes/Nava - Ellsbury - Stanton - Vic backup CF/RF

Infield: Napoli - Pedroia - Drew - Middlebrooks - Bogaerts

Catcher: Ross/Lava/Vazquez/Swihart another words in-house and cheap

DH: Papi

JBJ/Doubront as a part of the package that gets Stanton

If no Stanton then go for Choo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

First thing I'd do is hold my World Series Parade right outside of Van Cortlandt Park!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

1-See if Napoli wants $20M/2.  Assuming he says no, I'd offer Napoli, Drew, Salty, and Ells a QO.

If they all say yes, w'ed be over the luxury limit by about $20-25M, unless we find a way to dump Dempster and others to lessen the tax.

Assuming Napoli's hip checks out OK this winter, I'd offer him $22M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him up to $28M/2. If he refuses, I'd offer him the $14M/1 QO. If he bolts, I'd go after K Morales or a great fielding SS and move Bogey to 3B and Middy to 1B with Carp seeing more 1B duty.

I'd offer Salty $21M/2, and go up to $31M/3. If he says no, I'd overpay him with a short term QO of $14M/1 rather than way overpay for McCann for several years. Maybe by 2015, one of our prospect catchers will be ready.

I'd offer Jacoby $60M/4, which means he walks.

I would not offer Drew a contract, unless Napoli and Morales say no, then I'd think to offer him $16M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him to $22M/2. He would likely say no. I'd rather have a great fielding SS and move Bogey and Middy to 3B and 1B, but I doubt that happens.

2-Assuming Salty declines, I'd ask about Ruiz for two year.

Salty would take $14M/1 unless he thinks he can get $35M/3 or better (doubtful).

Why Ruiz?

3-Depending on how far we go, I might prepare the RSN for a bridge year.  You could let all four go, fill in cheaply with Bogaerts and Bradley, and cheap platoons at 1B and C, and re-stock the farm, while still having a competitive team.

I thought Drew, Napoli, Gomes, Ross, Dempster, and to some extent Victorino were "bridge signings".

1-Unless Ellsbury's foot is fractured, there is no chance of him accepting a QO.  That should keep us under.  And even at that, most of our contracts are marketable.

2-I think salty, Drew, and Naps all wind up in the $30-33M/3 range.  Ruiz has a career .771 with league-average defense.  Two years pairs him with Ross one year, and then he tutors Vazquez in Y2.

3-They were bridge signings.  If we do well, particularly if we win a WS, I think most RS fans would understand of re-investing in the farm.  A lot of the success we've had from 2007-2013 is because we allowed everyone from the 2004 team to walk.  Even if everyone walked, we wouldn't be going from .600 to .500.  Maybe we'd go to .550-.575, with a lot of resources freed up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Very doubtful the Sox pursur any free agent who gets a Qualifyinh Offer (except maybe one of their own).

If they would not give up second round slot money last year, it doesn't bode well for giving up first round money this year..

But, if we gain 2 picks by offering Ellsbury and Napoli QO's, and they walk; we may give one back by signing a guy like Choo. It's still a net gain of 1 pick.

I can't see us losing a pick for the possible slight upgrade from Salty to McCann.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

LF: Gomes/Carp

CF: Victorino

RF: Nava  

This would be a joke next year and a very bad one at that

This outfield can't and won't happen especially with Vic's ongoing injuries.  Counting on Bradley won't happen either.  We need to sign Ells or a trade for a real oufielder.

The only way I see this OF as a reality, is if we get a major thumper at 1B, 3B or SS.

The OF would really be:

LF: Nava/Gomes/Carp

CF: JBJ/Vict (Kalish?)

RF: Vict/Nava (Brentz?)

It's certainly a step back, but not the end of the world as long as we get better in the IF and the pitching staff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

First thing I'd do is hold my World Series Parade right outside of Van Cortlandt Park!!!

Why VCP?

Are you referring to McCombs Dam Park?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

LF: Gomes/Carp

CF: Victorino

RF: Nava  

This would be a joke next year and a very bad one at that

This outfield can't and won't happen especially with Vic's ongoing injuries.  Counting on Bradley won't happen either.  We need to sign Ells or a trade for a real oufielder.

It would be Gomes/Nava-JBJ-Vic.  That will still be a very nice OF.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

OF: 1. Choo Offer 3 years and 45M and budget up to 52M. Choo is a far superior fit over Ellsbury, with a career OBP of .389 and a caeer .855 OPS with a career .934 OPS v. RP and a 2013 OPS v RP over 1.000. 2013 OPS is .891. Steals about 20 bases a season. A year older than Ellsbury which equates to better value. Ellsbury has a higher NL value and Choo has a higher AL value.  With Victorino, Choo is a much better fit than Pence

I'm not sure where Choo plays in this configuration.  If Ells leaves, which he presumably does, the OF will be Gomes/Nava-JBJ-Vic.  And i wouldn't go too deep on Choo either.  He's had an excellent year, but pretty pedestrian in 2011 and 2012.  His W/K has fluctuated from .56-.46, and in his contract year, it jumps to .83?  It just feels like he was just concentrating more in anticipation of a big contract.  His L/R splits were a bit worrisome as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1-Unless Ellsbury's foot is fractured, there is no chance of him accepting a QO.  That should keep us under.  And even at that, most of our contracts are marketable.

I still think some GM is going to way outbid Ben's top offer.

2-I think salty, Drew, and Naps all wind up in the $30-33M/3 range.  Ruiz has a career .771 with league-average defense.  Two years pairs him with Ross one year, and then he tutors Vazquez in Y2.

Why would Napoli get a pay cut after showing he's healthy, having a career high in PAs and RBIs, and fielding like an 8 year veteran 1Bman?

I would not offer Drew anything: no QO, unless I was 100% sure he'd turn it down.

Ruiz turns 35 in January. Yes, he has a career .771 OPS and is just one year removed from an amazing .935 OPS in 2012 (412 PAs), but his PAs have fallen (472>421>334), and his .699 OPS this year is pretty troubling at that age.

3-They were bridge signings.  If we do well, particularly if we win a WS, I think most RS fans would understand of re-investing in the farm.  A lot of the success we've had from 2007-2013 is because we allowed everyone from the 2004 team to walk.  Even if everyone walked, we wouldn't be going from .600 to .500.  Maybe we'd go to .550-.575, with a lot of resources freed up.

I understand your point and do not disagree, but I think we can get creative with the budget, stay under the luxury limit, and sign enough guys to keep us near favorites next year, without giving up the farm. Here's a few ideas:

(Note: I am not saying I am for these ideas, but they could free up budget money to build in higher need areas. I also do not think a lot of these options could or should be used at the same time.)

1) Restructure Lackey's deal from $15.25M in 2014 ($16.5M towards the luxury tax budget) and ~$500K in 2015 as a club option - to -   $18M/2 or $27M/3 ($9M towards the lux tax budget). This adds about $7M to our 2013-2014 winter spending budget.

2) Trade Dempster and eat as little of his salary as possible. Creative? Throw in a decent midlevel prospect or two to lessen or cancel out any portion of his contract we may be forced to pay. (Maybe even trade some borderline rule 5 players with Ryan, if possible.) Savings: $6-13M.  (Note: Trading Lackey, Lester or Peavy could save us money, but would seriously weaken the strength of our rotation in 2014.)

3) Trade Bailey or do not offer him arbitration, if there are no takers. Savings: $3-5M.

4) Trading several lesser contracts and replacing them with minimum wage in-system players:

Gomes $5M (replace with Carp/JBJ/Brentz or play Nava vs LHPs)

Ross: $3.1M (replace with Lava/Vazquez/Butler- assuming we keep Salty)

Breslow: $3.1M (replace with a returning Miller or Workman, Britton, de la Rosa or others)

Morales: Arb est. $1.8 to $2.5M

Miller: Arb est. $1.8M to $2.5M

Savings: various.

5) Give Thornton his option, then trade him, if possible. (Save $1M buyout)

We basically have 3 major slots to fill with plenty of in-house solutions for all of them, but clearly steps down in all of them, unless someone surprises us in 2013:

C: We need to sign a catcher. Going with Ross/Lava/Butler/Vazquez is too big a step back.

1B: We could go with Carp/Nava/Papi @ NL parks, and even Middy, if Bogey moves to 3B, then we'd need to find a SS (or 3Bman, if Bogey stays at SS).

RF/CF: We have Vict & JBJ for CF and Vict & Nava for RF, but I seriously doubt we sign no OF.

I figure we have about $35M to spend if we sign all our arb players and let all our FAs go, including Thornton. That's enough to sign 2 very good players or 3 good ones. Call them "bridge" or whatever you want, but I d not see us taking a significant step back in 2014. I see an opportunity to even improve and still stay under the limit while keeping our farm intact.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

1-See if Napoli wants $20M/2.  Assuming he says no, I'd offer Napoli, Drew, Salty, and Ells a QO.

If they all say yes, w'ed be over the luxury limit by about $20-25M, unless we find a way to dump Dempster and others to lessen the tax.

Assuming Napoli's hip checks out OK this winter, I'd offer him $22M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him up to $28M/2. If he refuses, I'd offer him the $14M/1 QO. If he bolts, I'd go after K Morales or a great fielding SS and move Bogey to 3B and Middy to 1B with Carp seeing more 1B duty.

I'd offer Salty $21M/2, and go up to $31M/3. If he says no, I'd overpay him with a short term QO of $14M/1 rather than way overpay for McCann for several years. Maybe by 2015, one of our prospect catchers will be ready.

I'd offer Jacoby $60M/4, which means he walks.

I would not offer Drew a contract, unless Napoli and Morales say no, then I'd think to offer him $16M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him to $22M/2. He would likely say no. I'd rather have a great fielding SS and move Bogey and Middy to 3B and 1B, but I doubt that happens.

2-Assuming Salty declines, I'd ask about Ruiz for two year.

Salty would take $14M/1 unless he thinks he can get $35M/3 or better (doubtful).

Why Ruiz?

3-Depending on how far we go, I might prepare the RSN for a bridge year.  You could let all four go, fill in cheaply with Bogaerts and Bradley, and cheap platoons at 1B and C, and re-stock the farm, while still having a competitive team.

I thought Drew, Napoli, Gomes, Ross, Dempster, and to some extent Victorino were "bridge signings".

[/QUOTE]

You really canoot offer QO to Napoli and Drew unless you are willing to accept both as returning players.

Last year, no once accepted the Qualifying Offer, and several players (Bourn, Lohse, LaRoche and R Soriano) found it severely hampered their ability to get goodcontracts.   and only Bourn was able to get a deal longer than 3 years.  (LaRoche and Soriano only got 2 years.)

Nick Swisher did seem to defy the odds as a non-superstar rejecting a QO and finding a 4 year deal.  And this probably helped Bourn, as the draft pick slot money dropped to thrid round for him.

This year, some players will be accepting the QO.  I don't expect the top tier guys - Ellsbury, Cano, Choo, McCann - to accept. No one does. But the second tier players like Napoli and Drew would be distinct possibilities to accept.   Sure, they may have there haert set on long term deals and reject them, but the QO can limit their ability to get long term deals.  So why not reboot?

I think it is worthwhile for Napoli.  It's not like we have anyone else manning 1B anyway.  Drew is a different matter.

And I like the idea of giving one to Saltalamacchia as a method of making him a less attractive to other teams. 

But that same gameplan will have a similar effect on both Drew and Napoli, no matter how much you think they are worth on the market. It might not hurt them much, but the brif history has shown it can make for a difficult off-season for the Tier 2 FA who turns down a QO...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I think the Gomes/Nava platoon is fine, the defense might be a little subpar but splitting those two against RHP/LHP and having the luxury to pinch hit and play the relievers I think more than makes up for it on the offensive front.

JBJ in CF

and

VIC in RF.

Those two really could play both positions CF/RF....but I would still like to bring in a guy who can provide depth and competition at those two positions.

I'd offer all 4 of (Salty/Naps/Drew/Ellsbury) a QO with the assumption Ellsbury walks, I'd consider not giving Drew one but I'm operating under the assumption that there are teams looking for upgrades at the position (which appears to be the case)  I offer it to Napoli in hopes of bringing him back for one year but I'm willing to try and sign a Morales if he walks (which would net us a pick, if you think no team will sign him with draft pick compensation then great...my plan A at the position works out)  I offer the Q.O. to Salty in hopes of killing his market (or at least depressing it) and bettering our chances of reaching a long term deal with him in the 3/4 year range.

The pitching rotation is going to look very similiar with Buhholz/Lester/Lackey/Doubront/Dempster/peavy  One may be traded or moved to the pen, but then again it always seems like the 6th man always gets into the rotation as someone is bound to be injured.  The minor league depth options of Webster/Ranaudo/RDLR/Workman/Owens should all be one step closer to being MLB regulars as some are in some capacity now and I would expect in some way shape or form a few of those guys to solidify roles in the bullpen and perhaps one in the rotation by years end.

I'd really like to pick up a late inning reliever.  I feel someone such as Webster/Britton/RDLR may fill that role but I want to hedge that bet. 

Boggy at SS, WMB at 3rd....and we roll the dice. 

Were this a "predict the offseason" thread, this would be the most likely.

It is also possible that RLDR becomes the late inning reliever the Sox are missing.

I do think Carp could also get sold high.  And that the Sox might be wise to bring in a backup CF/RF type with some offensive skills, though not so much that the player is unwilling to sign as a backup.  Justin Maxwell seems to fit the bill.   Also, Franklin Gutierrez, assuming he does not sprain his wrist signing a contract...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You really canoot offer QO to Napoli and Drew unless you are willing to accept both as returning players.

That's exactly why I'd offer it.  Naps for one year @$14M is about what we paid him this year.  For only a one-year commitment, I'd rate that a plus contract, at a position we need.

Same with Salty.  He is not worth less than $10M, so if we overpaid him for one year, at least it's at a position we need.

Drew is the only where 'maybe' he creates a traffic jam.  But even if accepts, we can still move Bogaerts to 3B, WMB to 1B, and even if we didn't want to do that, Drew for a one-year deal would be easy enough to move.

I think the upside is higher than the downside for all four players.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's exactly why I'd offer it.  Naps for one year @$14M is about what we paid him this year.  For only a one-year commitment, I'd rate that a plus contract, at a position we need.

Same with Salty.  He is not worth less than $10M, so if we overpaid him for one year, at least it's at a position we need.

Drew is the only where 'maybe' he creates a traffic jam.  But even if accepts, we can still move Bogaerts to 3B, WMB to 1B, and even if we didn't want to do that, Drew for a one-year deal would be easy enough to move.

If Naps and Drew both accept, how do you move Middy to 1B? Where does Naps go?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree, and as much as I'd like to have a better fielding SS than Bogey, and think he belongs at 3B, I'd much rather have Napoli or K Morales than Drew.

Last year, no once accepted the Qualifying Offer, and several players (Bourn, Lohse, LaRoche and R Soriano) found it severely hampered their ability to get goodcontracts.   and only Bourn was able to get a deal longer than 3 years.  (LaRoche and Soriano only got 2 years.)

Nick Swisher did seem to defy the odds as a non-superstar rejecting a QO and finding a 4 year deal.  And this probably helped Bourn, as the draft pick slot money dropped to thrid round for him.

This year, some players will be accepting the QO.  I don't expect the top tier guys - Ellsbury, Cano, Choo, McCann - to accept. No one does. But the second tier players like Napoli and Drew would be distinct possibilities to accept.   Sure, they may have there haert set on long term deals and reject them, but the QO can limit their ability to get long term deals.  So why not reboot?

I think Naps and Drew would take $14M/1, but the fear of not getting a longterm deal elsewhere might allow us to get Napoli to agree to a $20M/2 deal with PA incentives that could bring him to $30M/2.

It would be nice if Naps gets a QO, turns it down, and K Morales does not get a QO,and we end up with KM and a pick for about the same as Napswould cost.

I think it is worthwhile for Napoli.  It's not like we have anyone else manning 1B anyway.  Drew is a different matter.

Agreed.

And I like the idea of giving one to Saltalamacchia as a method of making him a less attractive to other teams. 

Interesting, but paying $3M more than his worth, just to "keep him from others" is rather steep. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it's a tough call. I will say, we shoudn't lose Salty and then lose a pick to get McCann, so I see little hope at catcher, if Salty bolts.

But that same gameplan will have a similar effect on both Drew and Napoli, no matter how much you think they are worth on the market. It might not hurt them much, but the brif history has shown it can make for a difficult off-season for the Tier 2 FA who turns down a QO...

I'm wondering if this was the desired effect of these QO rules.

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do think Carp could also get sold high.  And that the Sox might be wise to bring in a backup CF/RF type with some offensive skills, though not so much that the player is unwilling to sign as a backup.  Justin Maxwell seems to fit the bill.   Also, Franklin Gutierrez, assuming he does not sprain his wrist signing a contract...

With Nava and Middy able to play 1B, it would make Carp expendable, assuming Naps or K Morales are signed. 

What are your thoughts on DeJesus? Didn't Ben try and trade for him once?

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trade Drew.  If he was signed for $9.5M this year, with teams leery of his ankle, how much is he worth after a terrific season with absolutely no ankle issues?  I can't believe StL wouldn't jump all over him for a one-year commitment at that price.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trade Drew.  If he was signed for $9.5M this year, with teams leery of his ankle, how much is he worth after a terrific season with absolutely no ankle issues?  I can't believe StL wouldn't jump all over him for a one-year commitment at that price.

[/QUOTE]

So, sign Drew at $14M/1 (the QO) and then trade him to StL?

I'm sure StL would like to keep their draft pick, but I'm not sure they'd go that high for Drew. We could make a wink-wink deal with the Cards and sign him to what they want, like $33M/3, and then trade him for a Card prospect.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

1. Give QOs to the big 4.....deal with the logjam if both Drew and Napoli accept.
    2. If Salty walks, freak out and panic buy the best catcher on the market.
    3. Hope Uehara becomes our Rivera, but assume the worst and stockpile some closing options (see Bailey)
    4. Say goodbye to Thornton and Hanrahan, but keep Bailey and hope he gets and stays healthy.
    5. ...not much more required, IMO....find a good glove/arm CF to allow the Flyin' Hawaiian to stay in RF assuming JBJR won't be ready......always look for cheap, quality BP arms....continue to look for a replacement for Ortiz....hair replacement therapy for Pedroia....put Jackie Chiles on retainer for that evil monster Gomes....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No one is moving Middlebrooks to 1B. 

What is it about that guy that everyone wants to re-arrange the infield to accomodate him?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No one is moving Middlebrooks to 1B. 

What is it about that guy that everyone wants to re-arrange the infield to accomodate him?

[/QUOTE]

1) I think Bogey is better suited for 3B than SS, but not so we can make room for Drew at SS or Middy at 1B.

2) We have a hole at 1B and Middy offers a good challenge to Carp or Nava. Yes, it might be filled by bringing Napoli back or someone else like K Morales, but a cheap option would be to go with Bogey/Middy at 1B/3B, and we find a cheaper SS option. (Hopefully the money saved would be used to upgrade other needy areas.)

3) Moving Middy to 1B does not mean he is guaranteed 150 games there. If he struggles again next year, we have a couple guys who can help out.

I do see your point, and I agree that Ben is not looking to move Bogey off SS or Middy off 3B. I am nearly certain Ben is going to sign a 1Bman or bring Napoli back. The odds are slight that he sees Middy as our 2014 1Bman, but it's not a crazy idea.

I agree, Ben will avoid signing and FA that involves us losing a pick, but if we happened to gain 2-3 picks by losing Ellsbury, Napoli and/or Salty after offering them QO's and seeing them walk, then perhaps we could spend big on McCann and Choo (or Pence/Beltran) and skimp on 1B.

Sections
Shortcuts