What would you do this offseason?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

Re: What would you do this offseason?

if its not broken dont fix it,,,,,,,try  to sign and keep what you got.......ellsbury is undervalued by many sox fans....hes the perfect lead off hitter and would be sorely missed....mark my words......of the four free agent hitters hes the hardest yo replace.....sign him even if you lose the others to pay for it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to baddad's comment:

if its not broken dont fix it,,,,,,,try  to sign and keep what you got.......ellsbury is undervalued by many sox fans....hes the perfect lead off hitter and would be sorely missed....mark my words......of the four free agent hitters hes the hardest yo replace.....sign him even if you lose the others to pay for it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to baddad's comment:

Isn't that "undervaluing" Salty & Napoli?

A good catcher is much harder to replace than a CF'er, especially within our own system for 2014.

Not wanting to pay Ellsbury $90M/5 or more and then add no draft picked gained if we re-sign him is not "undervaluing" anyone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No one is moving Middlebrooks to 1B. 

What is it about that guy that everyone wants to re-arrange the infield to accomodate him?

No one is moving Middlebrooks to 1B. 

What is it about that guy that everyone wants to re-arrange the infield to accomodate him?

1) I think Bogey is better suited for 3B than SS, but not so we can make room for Drew at SS or Middy at 1B.

2) We have a hole at 1B and Middy offers a good challenge to Carp or Nava. Yes, it might be filled by bringing Napoli back or someone else like K Morales, but a cheap option would be to go with Bogey/Middy at 1B/3B, and we find a cheaper SS option. (Hopefully the money saved would be used to upgrade other needy areas.)

3) Moving Middy to 1B does not mean he is guaranteed 150 games there. If he struggles again next year, we have a couple guys who can help out.

I do see your point, and I agree that Ben is not looking to move Bogey off SS or Middy off 3B. I am nearly certain Ben is going to sign a 1Bman or bring Napoli back. The odds are slight that he sees Middy as our 2014 1Bman, but it's not a crazy idea.

I agree, Ben will avoid signing and FA that involves us losing a pick, but if we happened to gain 2-3 picks by losing Ellsbury, Napoli and/or Salty after offering them QO's and seeing them walk, then perhaps we could spend big on McCann and Choo (or Pence/Beltran) and skimp on 1B.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

First thing I'd do is hold my World Series Parade right outside of Van Cortlandt Park!!!

Why VCP?

Are you referring to McCombs Dam Park?

If we can do a celebration for Rivera in Fenway, we can have our own celebration for our 3rd World Series in 10 years in the Bronx.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

First thing I'd do is hold my World Series Parade right outside of Van Cortlandt Park!!!

Why VCP?

If we can do a celebration for Rivera in Fenway, we can have our own celebration for our 3rd World Series in 10 years in the Bronx.

how about you actually win it first?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Why VCP?

how about you actually win it first?

of course

we have to allow the other teams a fair crack at it first

but then, we'll be right there in VCP to celebrate.  Let's see if Mo has enough class to stop on by.............he has a place nearby right (Purchase, New Rochelle - probably both).....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is not my final off-season suggestion list, but here is how I feel right now:

1) Offer Ellsbury $50M/3. He walks. We get a comp draft pick.

2) Offer Salty $30M/3 with 4th yr team option of $8M with $3M buyout. I he refuses, offer him $14M/1 ( a QO). My guess is, Salty returns.

3) Offer Napoli $33M/3 with incentives based on PAs that could bring him up to $45M/3. If he refuses, offer him a QO of $14M/1. My guess is he returns.

4) Sign RHP Edward Mujica to $15M/2.

4) Sign SS Brendan Ryan to $5M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him to $8M/2.

5) If the Rays do not take the $6.5M option on RF/CF'er David DeJesus, sign DeJesus to $11M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him to $14M/2.

6) Trade Dempster for a prospect.

7) Trade Morales, Lavarnway Chris Hernandez, and Jeremy Hazelbaker for RHP Steve Cishek & OF Marcel Ozuna .

8) Let Drew, Thornton, Bailey and Hanrahan walk.

2014 25 Man Roster

Salty/Ross

Napoli/Carp

Ortiz

Pedroia

Middy

Bogey/Ryan

Nava/Gomes

Vict

DeJesus

Buchholz

Lester

Peavy

Lackey

Doubront

Uehara

Mujica

Cishek

Tazawa

Breslow

Miller

Workman or Britton or de la Rosa

The 40 Man Roster

JBJ

Ozuna

Kalish

Brentz

Hassan

Cecchini

Almanzar

Butler

Vazquez

Ranaudo

Britton

de la Rosa

Luis Diaz

Wright

Villareal

Rule 5: lose 2 of... Wilson, Beato or Carpenter

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Moon I like the moves you suggest. The moves for Mijica and Ryan moves I like. I could see an infield of  WMB at 1 B, PEDROIA @2B, Ryan @ss, Xander @3 B, That would be a strong Infield.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Early rumors indicate the Yankees intend to retain Brendan Ryan...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to notin's comment:

With what money?

Wait, I hope they do sign him. 

And we get to watch Jeter pull a Jorge Posada when he refuses to move over the 2B and allow Ryan to play SS.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With what money?

And we get to watch Jeter pull a Jorge Posada when he refuses to move over the 2B and allow Ryan to play SS.......

It's not like Ryan is expensive.

They should just say good bye to Jete.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

With what money?

It's an odd situation.  Wells and Soriano are likely better suited to DH than LF, and ARod and Jeter are way past the age where you play left side defense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With what money?

It's an odd situation.  Wells and Soriano are likely better suited to DH than LF, and ARod and Jeter are way past the age where you play left side defense.

And Teix seems more and more hobbled with every passing year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Sign Choo for 4 yr deal $$60M to play LF (been long since I wanted him).  He has one of the strongest arm and solid defense could save pretty good number of runs.  Good OBP guy who can produce 20-20 yearly.  Choo-JBJ-Vic could be one of the best OF combo in the major both offensively and defensively.

Few say Salty has boosted his trade value the most.  We have few potential frachise catchers in the minors in Swihart and Denney but nothing hasn't been promised yet with those two and still few yrs away to have impact.  I won't go beyond 3 yr with Salty but I think Salty might take little bit less to come back to Boston, especially if we have successful postseason.  I see Ben giving Salty 3 yr $39M offer or little more and Salty taking it.  Could add one or two team options.

Try to trade Dempster to NL and minimize return by having the trading team eat some of his salary.

Re-sign Naps to multi yr deal.  Can shift him to DH after Ortiz retires.  I would offer Naps 3 yr $45M.  

Look to extend Lester at discount, if failed, just pick up his option

sign JP Howell.

Trade Carp.  He could net us a solid prospect.  

Lineup

Shin Soo Choo LF

Shane Victorino RF

Dustin Pedroia 2B

David Ortiz DH

Mike Napoli 1B

Will Middlebrooks 3B

Jarrod Saltalamacchia C

Xander Bogaerts SS

Jackie Bradley Jr. CF

Bench: Daniel Nava OF/1B, David Ross C, Jonny Gomes OF, Brock Holt UTIL

Rotation

Clay Buchholz

Jon Lester

Jake Peavy

Felix Doubront

John Lackey

BP

Brandon Workman

Drake Britton

Junichi Tazawa

JP Howell

Rubby De La Rosa

Craig Breslow

Koji Uehara - CL

You want a DH who strikes out 50% of the time... And for Two years....Have your mother get you some cookies and milk and get to bed ... NOW !!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

This is not my final off-season suggestion list, but here is how I feel right now:

My guess is a better off will be made. This would be more insulting than anything. But regardless, he will walk.

2) Offer Salty $30M/3 with 4th yr team option of $8M with $3M buyout. I he refuses, offer him $14M/1 ( a QO). My guess is, Salty returns.

Salty will be the first signing of the offseason and maybe an extension for Lester.

3) Offer Napoli $33M/3 with incentives based on PAs that could bring him up to $45M/3. If he refuses, offer him a QO of $14M/1. My guess is he returns.

I like the Naps signing, but I would make it a 8M guarenteed deal with incentives to get to 13M

IF the Cards let their 37 save closer walk. It Would be a nice pick up though.

4) Sign SS Brendan Ryan to $5M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him to $8M/2.

I think NYY will sign him

5) If the Rays do not take the $6.5M option on RF/CF'er David DeJesus, sign DeJesus to $11M/2 with PA incentives that could bring him to $14M/2.

Meh

I think one of Demp, Lackey or Doubie is gone.

7) Trade Morales, Lavarnway Chris Hernandez, and Jeremy Hazelbaker for RHP Steve Cishek & OF Marcel Ozuna .

Not sure that would do it Moon. Its not the quantity, but the quality for 2 very good, proven young under control players. Haze (26yo) and Hernandez (25yo in Dec.) and was demoted to AA this year, have never sniffed a MLB field. Morales is a bp arm and Lav MAYBE being the only one with some real value, except nobody sees him as a FT option behind the plate. I like the names your after though.

QO to Drew and yes, bye bye to all of them

side note: I also believe that Pence WILL sign with SF before FA even begins.

2014 25 Man Roster

Salty/Ross

Napoli/Carp

Ortiz

Pedroia

Middy

Bogey/Ryan

Nava/Gomes

Vict

DeJesus

Buchholz

Lester

Peavy

Lackey

Doubront

Uehara

Mujica

Cishek

Tazawa

Breslow

Miller

Workman or Britton or de la Rosa

The 40 Man Roster

JBJ

Ozuna

Kalish

Brentz

Hassan

Cecchini

Almanzar

Butler

Vazquez

Ranaudo

Britton

de la Rosa

Luis Diaz

Wright

Villareal

Rule 5: lose 2 of... Wilson, Beato or Carpenter

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

With what money?

It's not like Ryan is expensive.

They should just say good bye to Jete.

First off, Ryan will cost $5 million

Yankees don't have that kind of money for a defensive SS

Second, Jeter has a player option at 8 million.  I think the yankees can buy him out at 3 mil.

Money is tight and you can't have $13 million in 2 defective SS's

So if they let Jeter walk it would cost them 3 for Jeter and 5 for Ryan which is the same 8 would cost to keep Jeter

So the money is a wash.

But if you pick Ryan over Jeter, it would be a PR nightmare

Therefore, they should keep Jeter.

However, with Cashman ANYTHING is possible!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

With what money?

I'm sure they can find $3-4mill to retain Ryan, possibly prior to free agency.  If Ryan was such a hot commodity around the league, he would have generated more trade interest.

Reemmber, the team most in need of a SS right now is the Cardinals, and they already had Ryan once and traded him away...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is a better off will be made. This would be more insulting than anything. But regardless, he will walk.

Good point. 

I have lowered my suggested offer back to about where it was at the start of the season.

Salty will be the first signing of the offseason and maybe an extension for Lester.

Agreed. The 2014 catching position is the one slot least likely to  be filled from in-house and still be a net plus as compared to the rest of the league.

I like the Naps signing, but I would make it a 8M guarenteed deal with incentives to get to 13M

Now, I think that is a bit insulting. He has proven he can play 1B well, but more importantly play a full season. Of course, any offer I'd make would depend on this winter's hip examination results. Currently, my undertsnading is that the deterioration has stopped.

He's an unrestriced FA, but the Cards may have a big say in where he ends up.

I think NYY will sign him.

I doubt there will be a big bidding war on Ryan, but I think we can outbid the Yanks on him.

Meh

What other OF options are out there thatltran?   do not lose draft picks? C Beltran?

Yes, I agree, and Dempster would bring the least in retrun, but shedding his salary allows all my other moves to take place without going over the spending limit I impossed on myself.

Not sure that would do it Moon. Its not the quantity, but the quality for 2 very good, proven young under control players. Haze (26yo) and Hernandez (25yo in Dec.) and was demoted to AA this year, have never sniffed a MLB field. Morales is a bp arm and Lav MAYBE being the only one with some real value, except nobody sees him as a FT option behind the plate. I like the names your after though.

Fair enough. We could sweeten the pot with a Sean Coyle (blocked by Pedey and Betts) and maybe a Wilson or Hassan.

Drew would likely take $14M, but if we are pretty sure he'd say no, then I would do it. If he takes it, we could trade him, but might have to eat $3-4M of his deal (StL?).

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Cardinals are already using Trevor Rosenthal as their closer, and Jason Motte will return next year.

Meh

He will be available, and he is a nice player.  Struggles vs. LHP. however.

If anyone goes, the most likely is Dempster.  He will be one of 3 in the final year, and the one least likely to be worthy of a QO.

Florida passes.  Why trade Ozuna?  They only trade guys making money!  Logan Morrison is far more likely to go, for reasons related to arbitration, health, and Twitter.

Hazelbaker has no tradde value.  Wht organization does not have a Hazelbaker already that they are refusing to promote?  And why Cishek if you alredy targeted Mujica with closer money?

Or possibly even before the day is out 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/09/giants-could-be-nearing-deal-with-pence.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With what money?

I'm sure they can find $3-4mill to retain Ryan, possibly prior to free agency.  If Ryan was such a hot commodity around the league, he would have generated more trade interest.

Reemmber, the team most in need of a SS right now is the Cardinals, and they already had Ryan once and traded him away...

I have a heavy slant towards great fielding SSs. I'm not sure Ben does.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good point. 

I have lowered my suggested offer back to about where it was at the start of the season.

Even if we offered a number we have both mentioned before, which is in the 5-6yr 85-90M range, I think someone will top that. Id be very surprised if the go over 100M for Ells, if that. 6yr 16m with a 4M signing bonus is 100M. Like I said, that would surprise me if they went that far.

Agreed. The 2014 catching position is the one slot least likely to  be filled from in-house and still be a net plus as compared to the rest of the league.

The more I hear players and people within the Organization talk about Salty, the more I believe he will, and should be back for 4 years. Vasquez and Swihart are probably a couple years away anyway with Denney right behind them. To have a catcher like Salty for the next 4 years is vital. He has improved so much and has truly earned a good contract. Id have no issues with a 4/35-40M deal.

Now, I think that is a bit insulting. He has proven he can play 1B well, but more importantly play a full season. Of course, any offer I'd make would depend on this winter's hip examination results. Currently, my undertsnading is that the deterioration has stopped.

I only say this because of the condition. Its going to deteriorate eventually. They can delay it, but never totally stop it. With Naps having a 2-3 year guarenteed deal is important. He agreed to 5M with incentives and I think he would understand a multi-year deal with those incentives, except a larger guarenteed base salary. If hes healty, he will be paid accordingly.

I agree with you on this one. How much would you offer him? (30yo in May) Remember. It probably either Mujica or Cishek. Not both.

I doubt there will be a big bidding war on Ryan, but I think we can outbid the Yanks on him.

I doubt it too, and I agree he would be a decent UI, but not at 5M in that role. We can find a solid defensive SS/UI for less than that. I wouldnt complain if they did sign him though. Once again, I like the positions your looking at. They are big needs.

Meh

What other OF options are out there thatltran?   do not lose draft picks? C Beltran?

Rajai Davis is out there as a good platoon option and some speed on the bases to replace if Ells walks. Hes a solid defender, decent bat and should cost a lot less than DeJesus.

McClouth is also an option. David Murphy is even a FA. Siezmore could be a dark horse in all this. Maybe a MiL deal or an incentive laden MLB deal. there are more options.

Yes, I agree, and Dempster would bring the least in retrun, but shedding his salary allows all my other moves to take place without going over the spending limit I impossed on myself.

Lackey would net a better return and rid us of 15.25M next year as well. Doubie is young LH, and under control for 4 years. They all have good value one way or another. I think Demp is the least useful to us out of that group, but would mostly just be a salary dump. If they want a good return, the other 2 will go. It really depends what theyre looking to do.

Fair enough. We could sweeten the pot with a Sean Coyle (blocked by Pedey and Betts) and maybe a Wilson or Hassan.

Mookie Betts would be the one IMHO. Or at least the name I'd pick. They really like Ozuna, whos not a FA until 2019 and local boy Cishek, whos not a FA until 2018. It will take some decent names to get those 2. We have a need for them, and have the players to get it done. Its not going to be from a group of our not-so-top names though.

Drew would likely take $14M, but if we are pretty sure he'd say no, then I would do it. If he takes it, we could trade him, but might have to eat $3-4M of his deal (StL?).

I doubt Drew takes 14M. I dont agree with this stance. I can see Drew getting a 4yr deal. He just turned 30 this season and has at least 4 good years. Hes a 750-800OPS MLB SS who can play in the biggest of pressure situations and has solid defense. Whether people like him or not, hes one of the top SS in MLB compared to all the other MLB SS. He will have offers of 30M+ and will take the security of a 3-4 year deal as oppossed to 1 from the Sox.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good point. 

Even if we offered a number we have both mentioned before, which is in the 5-6yr 85-90M range, I think someone will top that. Id be very surprised if the go over 100M for Ells, if that. 6yr 16m with a 4M signing bonus is 100M. Like I said, that would surprise me if they went that far.

I believe my top offer was only $80M/5. I think he will get close to $90M/5 or 105M/6.

The more I hear players and people within the Organization talk about Salty, the more I believe he will, and should be back for 4 years. Vasquez and Swihart are probably a couple years away anyway with Denney right behind them. To have a catcher like Salty for the next 4 years is vital. He has improved so much and has truly earned a good contract. Id have no issues with a 4/35-40M deal.

If the kids rise fast, Salty would be a hot trade commodity, or we could rest him more and play him at 1B here and there.

I only say this because of the condition. Its going to deteriorate eventually. They can delay it, but never totally stop it. With Naps having a 2-3 year guarenteed deal is important. He agreed to 5M with incentives and I think he would understand a multi-year deal with those incentives, except a larger guarenteed base salary. If hes healty, he will be paid accordingly.

A two year deal should be safe enough to cover a  worsening hip. He deserves and will look for guaranteed money. He should.

I agree with you on this one. How much would you offer him? (30yo in May) Remember. It probably either Mujica or Cishek. Not both.

I am still wanting both, and am usually not for paying clossers top dollar (see my Papelbon position), but I'd pay Mijica maybe $17M/2. Not sure that lands him. We went through 3 closer this year, and Uehara is very old.

I doubt it too, and I agree he would be a decent UI, but not at 5M in that role. We can find a solid defensive SS/UI for less than that. I wouldnt complain if they didsign him though. Once again, I like the positions your looking at. They are big needs.

I'm thinking Ryan may end up FT, if Middy struggles or there is an injury to Napoli or Papi. (MIddy to 1B and Bogey to 3B)

Meh

Rajai Davis is out there as a good platoon option and some speed on the bases to replace if Ells walks. Hes a solid defender, decent bat and should cost a lot less than DeJesus. 

McClouth is also an option. David Murphy is even a FA. Siezmore could be a dark horse in all this. Maybe a MiL deal or an incentive laden MLB deal. there are more options.

I think we need sn OF'er who can play CF and RF well.

Lackey would net a better return and rid us of 15.25M next year as well. Doubie is young LH, and under control for 4 years. They all have good value one way or another. I think Demp is the least useful to us out of that group, but would mostly just be a salary dump. If they want a good return, the other 2 will go. It really depends what theyre looking to do.

I'm thinking, if we need money, we can restructure Lackey's deal to even out the luxury tax money from 2014 and 2015: something like $8M x 2, instead of $15.25M + $500K.

Mookie Betts would be the one IMHO. Or at least the name I'd pick. They really like Ozuna, whos not a FA until 2019 and local boy Cishek, whos not a FA until 2018. It will take some decent names to get those 2. We have a need for them, and have the players to get it done. Its not going to be from a group of our not-so-top names though. 

Well, maybe I was over-valuing Lava, but I think he could get his chacne to start on a team like the Marlins.

I doubt Drew takes 14M. I dont agree with this stance. I can see Drew getting a 4yr deal. He just turned 30 this season and has at least 4 good years. Hes a 750-800OPS MLB SS who can play in the biggest of pressure situations and has solid defense. Whether people like him or not, hes one of the top SS in MLB compared to all the other MLB SS. He will have offers of 30M+ and will take the security of a 3-4 year deal as oppossed to 1 from the Sox.

I doubt he takes $33M/3  or $40M/4 over $14M/1. In a sense, he'd be saying to himself, "After 2015, I will only be worth $19M/2 or $26M/3".

I get the security issue, and it makes me wonder if we could sign him and then trade his to the Cards. The Cards gain by not losing a draft pick, so maybe that sweetens the pot somewhat. Drew gains by not having his contract lessened or suitors dropping out by the loss of the draft pick (assuming he was given and then turned down a QO).

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Brendan Ryan?  The yankees answer?  Really?

The guy is a 200 hitter......maybe 250 OBP......5HR/10SB's.....even if he were a better fielder than Ozzie Smith he still wouldn't be good enough to be an every day player

This was a desperate move by Cashman when it happened (not eligible for PS) and it would be even more desperate if he retained him

To go from Jeter as a 300 hitter with maybe a 375 OBP.....15 HR's/12+ SB's......to a minor league hitter?  Wow.  Yeah I can see it.  That pretty much sums up the extent of just how far the mighty empire has fallen.  ROME IS BURNING!!!!!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts