What would YOU do?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: What would YOU do?

In Response to What would YOU do?:
    [QUOTE]Red Sox draftee Blake Swihart reportedly dreams of going to the University of Texas rather than signing with the Sox. Given the choice between spending four years in the most redneck state in America or signing with a major league team that's a legitimate postseason contender every year, what would YOU do?
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]  HE WILL DO THE RIGHT THING & SIGN WITH THE RED SOX !!!!  (AT THE END OF THE DAY)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

[QUOTE]Red Sox draftee Blake Swihart reportedly dreams of going to the University of Texas rather than signing with the Sox. Given the choice between spending four years in the most redneck state in America or signing with a major league team that's a legitimate postseason contender every year, what would YOU do?
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Don't even have to think about it I would go to school. If he is as good as the Red Sox think he is then go back after him in 4 years. Baseball is really a short time in some of these guys life. But having something to fall back on is really IMHO the only way to go. Look at Dykstra as an example.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

well, can't speak for the color of Blake's neck, but, Austin is somewhat of an oasis in the state. If you haven't been down that way, it is a really cool town.  So, you kind of get the best of both worlds down there, depending on the color of your neck.  I imagine that the thing most likely to keep Blake from being a Longhorn is a big fat John Henry bonus check.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]Depends on the money doesn't it. Texas has a great pedigree as baseball school. The players gets to grow up at a university instead of riding buses to minor league towns. Re enter the draft possibly in higher position, with a faster track to MLB.

But either way having a scholarship in his pocket does give him leverage in getting a better first contract. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: What would YOU do?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What would YOU do? : Don't even have to think about it I would go to school. If he is as good as the Red Sox think he is then go back after him in 4 years. Baseball is really a short time in some of these guys life. But having something to fall back on is really IMHO the only way to go. Look at Dykstra as an example.
    Posted by SpikeCunn5[/QUOTE]

No doubt Spike.  But there are other strategies.  Tommy Glavine and his fam decided that he would only ditch college if the signing bonus was enough to pay for college if baseball didnt work out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Better to stay in the "redneck" state of Texas, than to play baseball in the Peoples Republic of Taxachusettes".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would YOU do? : No doubt Spike.  But there are other strategies.  Tommy Glavine and his fam decided that he would only ditch college if the signing bonus was enough to pay for college if baseball didnt work out.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I would of never thoght of that and it is a good strat for the just in case it doesn't work out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

i guess that depends on whether blake's a redneck.
    if texas is his dream school, then he probably is.
    however, check with hammah, he's the local redneck expert.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What would YOU do? : Don't even have to think about it I would go to school. If he is as good as the Red Sox think he is then go back after him in 4 years. Baseball is really a short time in some of these guys life. But having something to fall back on is really IMHO the only way to go. Look at Dykstra as an example.
    Posted by SpikeCunn5[/QUOTE]

Something to fall back on is the signing bonus you might be able to get now.  There's always a possibility of getting injured or not impressing the scouts later.  The window of opportunity to earn that much money is something that may not be available for long.  As you wrote, "Baseball is a really a short time in his life," and so is the time for him to make the most of his physical skills.   If you're interested in academics, you can do that in the offseason and/or after you're done with your career. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]i guess that depends on whether blake's a redneck. if texas is his dream school, then he probably is. however, check with hammah, he's the local redneck expert.
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

Somehow I get the impression that the University of Texas is more highly regarded than whatever institution you may or may not have graduated from. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

time to change your tee-shirt, lostmedicine.
    it's smelling kind of funky.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Better to spend four years in the biggest redneck state in America, than to spend a career taking abuse from the fans in the People's Republic of Taxachusettes.

So, define a "redneck"? Should he be put in tolerance prison or be "reeducated: in a camp run by Obama? Should a redneck have the right to vote? Is a redneck a white male who isn't a moderate or a Leftist?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]time to change your tee-shirt, lostmedicine. it's smelling kind of funky.

You're not even good at bad insults, yazzer. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Let's hope he signs with the Sox and turns out to be a star.   But what is the reason for the cheap shot at Texas??????  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Better to spend four years in the biggest redneck state in America, than to spend a career taking abuse from the fans in the People's Republic of Taxachusettes. So, define a "redneck"? Should he be put in tolerance prison or be "reeducated: in a camp run by Obama? Should a redneck have the right to vote? Is a redneck a white male who isn't a moderate or a Leftist?
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

A redneck is the antithesis of a tree-hugger. A God-fearing, Bible reading, rifle toting, patriotic American!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

dictionary definition: a member of the southern rural laboring class.

another definition: blaming obama for the mess georgie w. made for the simple reason that obama is not white.

another definition: a true redneck wouldn't even know the definition of 'moderate' or 'leftist.'

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"what is the reason for the cheap shot at texas?"

i'll give you 2: the bush family and LBJ.

and the best parts of texas wouldn't equal the size of rhode island.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from apa327. Show apa327's posts

I would definately sign with the sox if the money is right, and get better coaching right from the start. He can always go back to school in between seasons or even after AKA Shaquille O'neil

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Spaceman's right about Austin--terrific city, with maybe a tad too much traffic.  Nothing redneck about it except for the country music, but they also have jazz, etc.  Texas has a great baseball program, but is also a great public university.  If the Sox get this kid, maybe he's too dumb to be a catcher. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

blaming obama for the mess georgie w. made for the simple reason that obama is not white.

Did georgie w. spend a trillion on a "stimulus" plan to help supporters of Obama? Is that the mess you are referring to?

Obams is part "white", but I believe Obama's being blamed for making a bigger mess when he was voted in to "clean up the mess Georgie W made" with his magical formula called "hope and change in the 59 states" and with the help of the "corpsemen".

Redneck is a racist epithet that should not be tolerated. It is a term that is encouranged on this site and amoung Leftist circles.

A redneck is an old racial and low socio-economic caucasion class slur used to describe white males who work on farms in the ignorant rural areas of the agrarian economies of the southeast, southwest and midwest. It is one of the  most popular racial slurs of the Leftist elite, the face of which is running the Nation and the current economic policies.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]"what is the reason for the cheap shot at texas?" i'll give you 2: the bush family and LBJ. and the best parts of texas wouldn't equal the size of rhode island.
    Yeah, right.  A " redneck " state with a balanced budget and no state income tax. It is really pathetic how some people think it is perfectly fine to throw around racist terms directed at other white people. Terms like " redneck " and " trailer trash."  I guess you think it helps to boost your liberal credentials. All it really does is expose you as a hater and a hypocrite.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"all it really does is expose you as a hater and a hypocrite."

check with your friends in the tea-party movement to see what haters and hypocrites look like up-close and personal. aren't most of them supposedly christians?

and i never used the word 'trailer trash.' in fact, one of my all-time favorite tv series is TRAILER PARK BOYS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]"all it really does is expose you as a hater and a hypocrite." check with your friends in the tea-party movement to see what haters and hypocrites look like up-close and personal. aren't most of them supposedly christians? and i never used the word 'trailer trash.' in fact, one of my all-time favorite tv series is TRAILER PARK BOYS.
    I never heard of that show. And I have no interest whatsoever in your political views. I just don't think you should be throwing around racist code words.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I'd go to school, though I'm bias by being in college atm. Texas is also far too large to becalled a backwater redneck state. lul.

Sections
Shortcuts