What would you offer for Oakland Athletics starter Gio Gonzalez?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: What would you offer for Oakland Athletics starter Gio Gonzalez?

Way too many talent prospects to give up especially he is a left hander pitcher.  How will we know he can pitch at Fenway Park.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Way too much.  Those are possibly 3 potential starters for us.  My philosophy is that you need one interanl candidate for each external candidate for each of the 15 key spots.

Plus, I'm not sure Gio is all that.  We have a tendency to overrate guys from pitchers' parks.  His career road ERA split is 3.56/4.32 and last year it was 2.70/3.62.  He is weak v > .500 teams, abysmal against the NYY, 5.63 at Fenway, and throws 4.1 BB/9.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Does anyone ever ask the question as to why the As are trading him. I remember another cant miss guy the Red Sox picked up from the Expos in 1989, John Dopson, simply awful that the management on the Expos raved about. He was mediocre at best in Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In Response to What would you offer for Oakland Athletics starter Gio Gonzalez?:
    Kalish/Ranaudo/Lavarnway
    Posted by 2004Idiots

if the A's threw in andrew bailey with gio gonzalez...i think that might still be to much....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: What would you offer for Oakland Athletics starter Gio Gonzalez?:
    Does anyone ever ask the question as to why the As are trading him. I remember another cant miss guy the Red Sox picked up from the Expos in 1989, John Dopson, simply awful that the management on the Expos raved about. He was mediocre at best in Boston.
    Posted by AL34

This goes back to what I always say.  You have to ask why a player is being traded.  Typically, and it's been this way for a long time, a big market team with playoffaspirations, will trade younger players for more established players.  And vice versa.  When a low-payroll team looks to trade an arb 1 player, it's suspicious.  My first instinct is to look at motivated sellers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

youkilus/scutaro

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Jed Lowrie, Lars Anderson, Bowden and Weiland

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In Response to Re: What would you offer for Oakland Athletics starter Gio Gonzalez?:
    Way too much.  Those are possibly 3 potential starters for us.  My philosophy is that you need one interanl candidate for each external candidate for each of the 15 key spots. Plus, I'm not sure Gio is all that.  We have a tendency to overrate guys from pitchers' parks.  His career road ERA split is 3.56/4.32 and last year it was 2.70/3.62.  He is weak v /> .500 teams, abysmal against the NYY, 5.63 at Fenway, and throws 4.1 BB/9.
    Posted by Joebreidey

We also have a tendency to overrate guys in our farm system.  Just take a closer look at his stats - he is MLB proven talent.  He pitched 200 innings both of the past two years, average almost 7 innings per start for very weak hitting team that gave him little run support...K/BB not super...but his stats look plenty good enough to be a starter on the Sox staff and I don't see where he rents a home on the DL like so many of the Sox starters every year. Pitching wins titles and the Sox don't have it next year.  I am also not sure the A's would want to deal him for the talent being offered on this board.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Sox should look to move Youk, a Gio Gonzalez type should be fair return.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Jed Lowrie, Lars Anderson, Bowden and Weiland
    Posted by hankwilliams

Billy Beane of the Oakland A's will hang up the phone real quick on that proposal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Posted by AL34

The same reason the Athletics traded starters Tim Hudson, Dan Haren, Rich Harden and Mark Mulder: the pitchers were entering (or approaching) their more expensive arbitration years.

The trades of those four A's pitchers yielded Carlos Gonzalez, Brett Anderson, Chris Carter, Greg Smith, Aaron Cunningham, Dana Eveland, Juan Cruz, Dan Meyer, Charles Thomas, Josh Donaldson, Sean Gallagher, Matt Murton, Eric Patterson, Daric Barton, Kiki Calero and ... Dan Haren.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Gio a Red Sox starter? He'd be the #2 for 2012 if the grown a$$ lefty grows up because I'm not counting on anything from Buchholz or Beckett.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

My offer would be nothing. Not even the thousand dollar posting fee which I would appreciate if Billy would post personally.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Mr.  Beane is Mr. Moneyball---

He may pull Gio or Andrew when the first is traded unless the Sox traded 
    Lavarnway, Boegarts, Doubrount or Ranaudo, Kalish and Weiland.

We could possibly get both for that bounty of prospects.

Would you be willing to trade those prospects after reading hill55 above? I think I would have to get another prospect back. Right now I think I would make that trade as all of our people are prospects and both A's players are under team control for 3 to 4 years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Boegarts, Doubrount or Ranaudo, Kalish and Weiland...PROSPECTS?

According to whom? All reasonable ballplayers but please...perhaps two of the aforementioned will see the field at Fenway before 2014. 

Gio Gonzalez is a bona fide starter with strikeout stuff.
    He'll only be 27 in Sept. of 2012 and is a lefty to boot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Boegarts, Doubrount or Ranaudo, Kalish and Weiland...PROSPECTS?

According to whom? All reasonable ballplayers but please...perhaps two of the aforementioned will see the field at Fenway before 2014.

Kalish, Doubrant and Weiland have already seen Fenway.

Lackey is a bona fide starter. Your point?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Reddick, Ranaudo, Lowrie and Iglesias.  And I would want Bailey along with Gio.  Not enough?  Let someone else empty their farm for him.  His control is questionable, and Fenway might be a very bad place for him to try and tame it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Gonzalez is a good pitcher, but I think that we should hold onto our better prospects and give them a chance to make it to the majors.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Reddick, Ranaudo, Lowrie and Iglesias.  And I would want Bailey along with Gio.  Not enough?  Let someone else empty their farm for him.  His control is questionable, and Fenway might be a very bad place for him to try and tame it.
    Posted by parhunter1

That would be all-aroud decent.  Reddck and Lowrie showed enough that someone will give them a shot at FT play.  3 years of Gio have to be worth Renaudo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: What would you offer for Oakland Athletics starter Gio Gonzalez? : That would be all-aroud decent.  Reddck and Lowrie showed enough that someone will give them a shot at FT play.  3 years of Gio have to be worth Renaudo.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Josh Reddick and Jed Lowrie failed to nail down full-time gigs on a third-place team that had openings in rightfield and thirdbase.

Each has limited trade value as Lowrie enters his arbitration years and approaches his 28th birthday in April. I see a 90 percent chance that Reddick's MLB production will fall somewhere between the MLB production of fellow lefthand-hitting outfielders David Murphy and Brandon Moss, former Red Sox prospects.

Anthony Ranaudo is a start, but that's not enough to land four years of Gio Gonzalez.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Develop your pitching, and be patient. Who cares about Gio.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

The incompetent Mariner organization is chasing Wilson, so they say.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The incompetent Mariner organization is chasing Wilson, so they say.
    Posted by hankwilliams

Uh, wrong again:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/nationals-seen-as-early-favorite-for-wilson.html

Sections
Shortcuts