What would your 2014 bacup plan be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: What would your 2014 bacup plan be?

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The team will only carry so many OF's.  I'm not sure Carp being under team control or simply being around to hit righties and back up 1B will be the deciding factor on whether we keep him.  I don't mind the Nap/Carp and Gomes/Nava platoon as long as we keep Carp as far away from the OF as possible.

I agree on Carp being terrible in the OF, but Gomes is pretty bad out there too.

[/QUOTE]

Gomes made some pretty good catches for us but isn't great I agree.  He also has more mobility than Carp but I think Carp is a better hitter on his strong side.  It may come down to what I also agree with, Gomes is the managers pet.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

2-No chance we dump Carp for Hassan.  We need a backup 1B.  Hassan has 12 games at1B.  I think Nava is a better 1B than Carp Joe don't you?  Maybe even Papi :)

Nava has almost a fulltime position in the OF.  He should play LF against righties, and the occasional game in RF against tough lefties when JBJ sits and Vic plays CF.  If Naps goes down for 2 weeks, you lose your flexibility in the OF.

8 games is not enough to judge Nava at 1B, but FG is not kind to him.  Papi could play 1st, but then you would need Carp to DH.

Kind of interesting that some think that Carp would make a good starter for other teams, but not even a backup for us.

I think Carp would be starting on several teams, and listed them above.  To me, the most obvious fit is Pittsburgh, who is slated to use a Chris McGuiness / Gaby Sanchez platoon at first as it stands today.  Yes, those two should combine for Jimmie Foxx level production.  But only because Foxx has been dead for 45 years.

I know Carp won't be an All Star, but he certainly can out-hit Chris McGuiness...

I all fairness notin, Chris McGuiness is basically a rookie and only 25 years old with a .994 fielding percentage at 1B.  I just can't see Carp playing every day at 1B or his platoon offense overshadowing the poor defense over a long season.

[/QUOTE]

McGuiness might be 25 (26 next April), but he is less than 2 years younger than Carp and had an OPS+ of FOUR last year in limited action.  He also was not a stellar minorleague hitter, and struggled last year in the PCL (by PCL standards).

He will lose his job by June.  Book it.

And Carp is infintely better than McGuiness.

Oh, and Pitt would save almost $10mill over the next 3 years if they dealt Tabata for Carp...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

as the roster stands now...our only position of need a quality 4th/5th OF that can play both CF and RF and provide us some speed off the bench. 

[/QUOTE]

Like Tabata

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

McGuiness might be 25 (26 next April), but he is less than 2 years younger than Carp and had an OPS+ of FOUR last year in limited action.  He also was not a stellar minorleague hitter, and struggled last year in the PCL (by PCL standards).

Oh, and Pitt would save almost $10mill over the next 3 years if they dealt Tabata for Carp...

[/QUOTE]

I can't honestly say who would be better between Carp and McGuiness but agree the Pirates need a 1B.  I just don't see Carps lack of range, speed, defense and inability to hit lefties keeping him in any starting lineup.  In a platoon role?  No doubt we have already proven thats his best role as I'm sure every major league GM realizes. 

I would take a chance on Tabata but in my opinion Carps body would probably break down way to often due to his lack of athleticism/durability to ever even play a full season at 1B.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can't honestly say who would be better between Carp and McGuiness but agree the Pirates need a 1B.  I just don't see Carps lack of range, speed, defense and inability to hit lefties keeping him in any starting lineup.  In a platoon role?  No doubt we have already proven thats his best role as I'm sure every major league GM realizes.   I could be wrong but he has never played more than 44 games so it would be a huge stretch  to think Mike could be an effective every day starter.

I would take a chance on Tabata but in my opinion Carps body would probably break down way to often due to his lack of athleticism/durability to ever even play a full season at 1B.

[/QUOTE]

Carp has not played much in MLB, because he wasn't that good most of the time- not because of durability issues.

He had 573 PAs in 2005, then 416, 412, 566 in the minor leagues (which is close to maxing out there) and then...

2009: 490 AAA + 65 MLB

2010: 463 AAA +41 MLB

2011: 286 AAA + 290 MLB

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Carp has not played much in MLB, because he wasn't that good most of the time- not because of durability issues.

He had 573 PAs in 2005, then 416, 412, 566 in the minor leagues (which is close to maxing out there) and then...

[/QUOTE]

moon,

Carp hasn't played much because of overall talent and his share of injuries.  These are a few I remember.  

Minor league Mets, Broken Finger

Seattle, Shoulder strain, then groin injury

Boston, Shoulder sprain

I just don't see the guys body holding up in a starters role long term.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In their search for a firstbaseman, would the Pittsburgh Pirates prefer Mike Carp or Seattle firstbaseman Justin Smoak in a trade for outfielder Jose Tabata?

Carp and Smoak are the same age and each is entering his first arbitration year. The Mariners preferred Smoak over Carp a year ago, but the Oliver, Steamer and ZIPS projections now favor Carp despite projected arbitration salaries of $1.3 million for Carp and $2.8 million for Smoak (the arbitration formula obviously differs from the formula for WAR projections).

The Mariners reportedly are in the market for outfielders, particularly a righthand-hitting, defensively competent outfielder with speed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

moon,

Carp hasn't played much because of overall talent and his share of injuries.  These are a few I remember.  

Boston, Shoulder sprain

[/QUOTE]

Carp was always the step child in the mariners organization not unlike Nava with the Sox. In part due to not being a great defensive player but also because of players like Saunders and then Wells....Injuries are part of the game and none of his are of the chronic variety...the kid has hit at every level...If given the chance to be an everyday player my guess is he'd be a plus .750 Ops guy with 15 or so homers with a pretty decent OBP...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In their search for a firstbaseman, would the Pittsburgh Pirates prefer Mike Carp or Seattle firstbaseman Justin Smoak in a trade for outfielder Jose Tabata?

Carp and Smoak are the same age and each is entering his first arbitration year. The Mariners preferred Smoak over Carp a year ago, but the Oliver, Steamer and ZIPS projections now favor Carp despite projected arbitration salaries of $1.3 million for Carp and $2.8 million for Smoak (the arbitration formula obviously differs from the formula for WAR projections).

The Mariners reportedly are in the market for outfielders, particularly a righthand-hitting, defensively competent outfielder with speed.

doubtful the Mariners would trade Smoak...my guess is that if the choice was between one or the other the Pirates would likely chose Smoak who is the better defender...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

moon,

Boston, Shoulder sprain

[/QUOTE]

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Besides, playing 1B is not that demanding.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Carp was always the step child in the mariners organization not unlike Nava with the Sox. In part due to not being a great defensive player but also because of players like Saunders and then Wells....Injuries are part of the game and none of his are of the chronic variety...the kid has hit at every level...If given the chance to be an everyday player my guess is he'd be a plus .750 Ops guy with 15 or so homers with a pretty decent OBP...

[/QUOTE]

Nava and Carp are platoon players for similar reasons.  Carp would probably be a more consistent hitter than Nava against lefties and righties if given a starting role.  I personally think Carp may better suited as an every day DH but you never know Nap learned to play 1B pretty well with more playing time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

moon,

Boston, Shoulder sprain

[/QUOTE]

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Besides, playing 1B is not that demanding.

[/QUOTE]

Some team might give Carp a shot at the every day 1B job and Mike could always improve at the position like Nap did.  My guess is if Carp sticks around the league he ends up someones DH if he continues to hit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nava and Carp are platoon players for similar reasons.  Carp would probably be a more consistent hitter than Nava against lefties and righties if given a starting role.  I personally think Carp may better suited as an every day DH but you never know Nap learned to play 1B pretty well with more playing time.

Carp has played 1B for a long time. I doubt he "learns" much more defense by playing more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Carp has played 1B for a long time. I doubt he "learns" much more defense by playing more.

How come you didn't admit that when we said the same about Salty moon?  :) 

Sorry I couldn't resist, Salty actually did improve defensively a bit outside of his arm and mental mistakes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry I couldn't resist, Salty actually did improve defensively a bit outside of his arm and mental mistakes.

[/QUOTE]

The catching position takes longer to learn, especially the handling of the staff part.

Salty never improved his arm, apparently improved his plate blocking skills a little, but did improve the staff-handling portion of a catcher's defensive skillset.

If you expect carp to improve significantly of defense, go ahead. I think he can, but I doubt he does by much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The catching position takes longer to learn, especially the handling of the staff part.

Salty never improved his arm, apparently improved his plate blocking skills a little, but did improve the staff-handling portion of a catcher's defensive skillset.

If you expect carp to improve significantly of defense, go ahead. I think he can, but I doubt he does by much.

[/QUOTE]

My original posts on Carp stated I don't see him playing 1B in a full time role anywhere because of his D etc.  I only see him in his current role, or as a DH moving forward.  I only said he could improve at 1B playing daily because the guy has never had the opportunity.  Nap improved vasty when given the opportunity so anything is possible.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My original posts on Carp stated I don't see him playing 1B in a full time role anywhere because of his D etc.  I only see him in his current role, or as a DH moving forward.  I only said he could improve at 1B playing daily because the guy has never had the opportunity.  Nap improved vasty when given the opportunity so anything is possible.

[/QUOTE]

Many teams overlook defense at 1B, if the offense compensates for it.

I'm not arguing that I think Carp can be a capable fulltimer, just the fact that I do not see him as lacking durability or stamina based on the fact that he has rode the bench so much.

As for time playing 1B. He played 564 games at 1B in the minors (155 at a corner OF and 12 at 3B). He played 111 games at 1B in MLB (859 innings).

He once played 136 games at 1B one year (2006). The team only played 139 games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[/QUOTE]

I'm not arguing that I think Carp can be a capable fulltimer, just the fact that I do not see him as lacking durability or stamina based on the fact that he has rode the bench so much.

As for time playing 1B. He played 564 games at 1B in the minors (155 at a corner OF and 12 at 3B). He played 111 games at 1B in MLB (859 innings).

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, I guess nobody will ever know unless someone gives Carp the opportunity. to play every day to see how durable or productive he may be.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, I guess nobody will ever know unless someone gives Carp the opportunity. to play every day to see how durable or productive he may be.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure we'll trade him and give him that chance. I don't think Ben wants to use Papi, Nava, Middlebrooks or Snyder at 1B if Napoli goes down.

If we sign Drew, then they could workout Middy at 1B this ST, and Carp would be expendable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure we'll trade him and give him that chance. I don't think Ben wants to use Papi, Nava, Middlebrooks or Snyder at 1B if Napoli goes down.

If we sign Drew, then they could workout Middy at 1B this ST, and Carp would be expendable.

[/QUOTE]

I don't really care if we keep Carp to back up Nap.  All we need in CF to help JBJ is a guy like Criag Gentry if the A's would trade him.  He was traded by Texas for Mike Choice (why I'm not sure) because I think Gentry is better.  Texas must have had a similar need as us. 

Gentry hits lefties very well and plays good D.  Assuming JBJ can at least put up decent numbers against righties our OF would be fine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

I don't really care if we keep Carp to back up Nap.  All we need in CF to help JBJ is a guy like Criag Gentry if the A's would trade him.  He was traded by Texas for Mike Choice (why I'm not sure) because I think Gentry is better.  Texas must have had a similar need as us. 

Gentry hits lefties very well and plays good D.  Assuming JBJ can at least put up decent numbers against righties our OF would be fine.

I can see the concern about CF over 1B:

1) Napoli is a better bet at producing than JBJ for 2014.

2) If Napoli gets hurt, it's easier to find a 1Bman than a CF'er.

3) Moving Victorino to CF, Nava to RF and Carp to LF vs RHPs severaly weakens our defense at 3 positions, while moving Nava to 1B only weakens 1B and LF.

I'm Ok with trading Carp to make room for an OF'er with plus defensive skills in CF/RF and a decent bat vs lefties.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can see the concern about CF over 1B:

1) Napoli is a better bet at producing than JBJ for 2014.

2) If Napoli gets hurt, it's easier to find a 1Bman than a CF'er.

3) Moving Victorino to CF, Nava to RF and Carp to LF vs RHPs severaly weakens our defense at 3 positions, while moving Nava to 1B only weakens 1B and LF.

I'm Ok with trading Carp to make room for an OF'er with plus defensive skills in CF/RF and a decent bat vs lefties.

[/QUOTE]

If Checchini has another rough go at 3B this year moon I would love the Sox to give him some playing time at 1B.  We also can't eliminate Lav from the equation just yet, he may be another viable option.  I really wish the Sox would play or trade him to someone who will give him a real shot. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

First off sorry backup (not) bacup plan before someone jumps all over me

Lets start with Bogy, Bogy will be a star at some point and secure either the SS, or in my opinion possibly the 3B position.  The only question is where and whether he stays clear of major injuries that could slow his process.  I don't see Bogy playing the solid defense in his rookie year that Drew gave us but between he and Merrero they show give us some decent offense.

JBJ is another kid with a lot of talent who should gradually become a good hitter with speed and solid defense.  The proble here is help in CF which at the moment lies on Victorino which is great if he can stay off the DL.  After Victorino we have nobody capable in CF or who can replace Shane (long term) if he spends a lot of time on the DL.  Carp is a horrible defender anywhere he plays and neither Nava or Gomes could  man the corners on an every day basis.  This leaves us with Brentz who I don't think will be any better than a platoon player.  Hassan at the moment I feel is the only kid on the farm who could play against all pitching at some point but with less power.  As far astrading fora backup?  I have read reports where the Sox don't feel they can carry another OF at this point which tells me they will keep Dempster around as long as possible.

Then comes Middy who has had more major league experience than either Bogy or JBJ but has yet to show he can patiently or effectively handle major league pitching other than an occasional power spurt.  If Middy does have a solid year there is a good chance he could finally become our every day 1B or remain at 3B.  Checchini is right behind him but as I said before Garin has a lot better plate discipline but doesn't play 3B well.  In my opinion the Sox should give Garin time at 1B next season to see how he does if he continues to struggle at 3B.

I think Middy's play and finding JBJ help are keys to any success we may have next season so here are a few of my suggestions before , or if things don't work out as planned.

... Dump Dempster ASAP to free up cash, replace him with Workman and get a solid back up in CF before the season begins?

... Give Hassan a good look in ST and if he plays well dump Carp?

... Pick up another CF/back up OF to help out

... Maybe try to swing a short term trade for a guy like Hanley who becomes a FA in 2015 and move Bogy to 3B?

... Trade for or a long term, 20mil a year guy like Tulo to solidify the SS position through 2020 while moving Bogy to 3B?  We do have plenty of talent to satisfy the Rockies need without offering them a SS if they were willing to move Tulo.  They have high hopes for the 21 year old SS Rosell Herrera in a couple of years and also have Josh Rutledge who can play 2B and SS. 

... Hope Checcini's defense strengthens at 3B, or at the very least give Garin some playing time at 1B next season in the minors to see how he fairs.

... Trade for another good young young 3B or SS prospect?

... Trade for another short term vet to play 3B?

What our your suggestions everyone?

Let the kids play .What happens happens. No world series ,so be it. Back=up plan Don't need one.Just go out and have fun and shock everyone.....

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

[QUOTE]

First off sorry backup (not) bacup plan before someone jumps all over me

Lets start with Bogy, Bogy will be a star at some point and secure either the SS, or in my opinion possibly the 3B position.  The only question is where and whether he stays clear of major injuries that could slow his process.  I don't see Bogy playing the solid defense in his rookie year that Drew gave us but between he and Merrero they show give us some decent offense.

JBJ is another kid with a lot of talent who should gradually become a good hitter with speed and solid defense.  The proble here is help in CF which at the moment lies on Victorino which is great if he can stay off the DL.  After Victorino we have nobody capable in CF or who can replace Shane (long term) if he spends a lot of time on the DL.  Carp is a horrible defender anywhere he plays and neither Nava or Gomes could  man the corners on an every day basis.  This leaves us with Brentz who I don't think will be any better than a platoon player.  Hassan at the moment I feel is the only kid on the farm who could play against all pitching at some point but with less power.  As far astrading fora backup?  I have read reports where the Sox don't feel they can carry another OF at this point which tells me they will keep Dempster around as long as possible.

Then comes Middy who has had more major league experience than either Bogy or JBJ but has yet to show he can patiently or effectively handle major league pitching other than an occasional power spurt.  If Middy does have a solid year there is a good chance he could finally become our every day 1B or remain at 3B.  Checchini is right behind him but as I said before Garin has a lot better plate discipline but doesn't play 3B well.  In my opinion the Sox should give Garin time at 1B next season to see how he does if he continues to struggle at 3B.

I think Middy's play and finding JBJ help are keys to any success we may have next season so here are a few of my suggestions before , or if things don't work out as planned.

... Dump Dempster ASAP to free up cash, replace him with Workman and get a solid back up in CF before the season begins?

... Give Hassan a good look in ST and if he plays well dump Carp?

... Pick up another CF/back up OF to help out

... Maybe try to swing a short term trade for a guy like Hanley who becomes a FA in 2015 and move Bogy to 3B?

... Trade for or a long term, 20mil a year guy like Tulo to solidify the SS position through 2020 while moving Bogy to 3B?  We do have plenty of talent to satisfy the Rockies need without offering them a SS if they were willing to move Tulo.  They have high hopes for the 21 year old SS Rosell Herrera in a couple of years and also have Josh Rutledge who can play 2B and SS. 

... Hope Checcini's defense strengthens at 3B, or at the very least give Garin some playing time at 1B next season in the minors to see how he fairs.

... Trade for another good young young 3B or SS prospect?

... Trade for another short term vet to play 3B?

What our your suggestions everyone?

Let the kids play .What happens happens. No world series ,so be it. Back=up plan Don't need one.Just go out and have fun and shock everyone.....

[/QUOTE]

Agreed...Besides, there are not enough roster spots for too many "back up plans."  The Sox also need to find out if JBJ can be an everyday player, so he's not going to be part of some kind of "platoon" situation where he sits against lefties.  It's the same thing with people saying Drew could be another backup plan & that he should learn to play 2nd & 3rd like some utility infielder.  Why would he ever consider that?  If anything, he'd take a one year deal with another team to be a full time SS.  If someone gets injured and is going to be out for a while, teams usually end up having to look outside of the organization for help.  They hope their bench players can hold the fort down until they do.

Sections
Shortcuts