Whats Ellsbury Worth?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dublin_Sox. Show Dublin_Sox's posts

Whats Ellsbury Worth?

Just wondering what everyone thinks Ellsbury is worth. A careeer .300 hitter with speed to burn and showed a ton of power last year. That said hes made of glass, always injured. Average arm. Last year was obviously a total anomaly. Is he worth more than $10m per year given the fact hes always hurt?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: Whats Ellsbury Worth?

Another case where "made of glass" is used uncorrectly.

Made of glass is more like Andrei Markov, JD Drew, Rocco Baldelli, Greg Oden, Carl Pavano, etc.

Ellsbury was in a freak accident with a muscular truck named Adrian Beltre that resulted in many broken ribs.

Then he was involved with an awkward play at second base inwhich a runner landed on his shoulder awkawrdly.

More like bad luck than anything else. He's a good athlete who plays a demanding style of play. He's far from "made of glass"

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In Response to Re: Whats Ellsbury Worth?:
     Average arm. Compared to what, a girls softball team?
    Posted by TrotterNixon

Nope. Compared to Crawfords arm lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

What's Ells worth?

Who will Boras compare him to? CC? Kemp? Hamilton? Bourn?

Ells is definitely not a 5 tool player:

He has no arm--closer to Damon's---even with needing TJS , I believe CC's is better.

He can run, when will he show his speed again? Bobby V covered for him this week by saying, both Ells and CC's, timing has been off stealing bases because of the long layoff?? lets see what happens in two months--that will generate enough sample size.

He can hit, but hasn't yet.

He can hit for power, but hasn't yet. 

He is a pretty solid fielder--to be honest exceptional.

Worth $20 M, not to be paid by anyone I know.

If he's offered Arb this season he should get less than the $8 M from this season. Time will tell.

With JBJ moving along in Salem , Portland, maybe a Sept. callup bypassing the PawSox to Fenway, it may give us a look at Ells' replacement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I cannot believe that people want to dump Ellsbury!  (Well, other that Softy, and he doesn't count).

I DON'T want to dump him.  I want to CLONE him.  I want to put eight guys out there every day who have speed and play hard.  I want eight guys who can hit for average, hit for power, and steal bases.  I wante eight guys who can spray the ball around.  I want eight guys who will disrupt a pitcher's rhythm when on base and, from a fan's point of view, are FUN TO WATCH.  And if his arm is "average", I'll live with four "plus, plus"-es and one "average". 

A five tool player is one who hits for average (Check!)  Hits for Power (Check!) Has Speed (Check!) Has a strong throwing arm (No check) and has good defensive skills (Check!) 

And you want to dump this guy because you think he's fragile?  Because Beltre runs him over and breaks ribs or because some 230 lb player lands on him when he's in an awkward position and screws up his shoulder?  Get real for just a minute, will ya? These were both freak accidents.

Or.. we could get rid of him because Softy's Sheeple have now come to believe that his arm isn't as good as we wish it were.

IMO you guys are NUTS!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

The only reason fans want to get rid of Ells is because we all know he is not staying. Boros is his agent , enough said there. If the front office didn't overpay for garbage free agents we could afford to keep our own players. So I blame management for Ellsbury not being in a Sox uniform after next year. We will be watching CC, Lackey and Beckett (the entitled one). Thank u Theo and owners for this crawful team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I cannot believe that people want to dump Ellsbury!  (Well, other that Softy, and he doesn't count).   I DON'T want to dump him.  I want to CLONE him.  I want to put eight guys out there every day who have speed and play hard.  I want eight guys who can hit for average, hit for power, and steal bases.  I wante eight guys who can spray the ball around.  I want eight guys who will disrupt a pitcher's rhythm when on base and, from a fan's point of view, are FUN TO WATCH.  And if his arm is "average", I'll live with four "plus, plus"-es and one "average".  A five tool player is one who hits for average (Check!)  Hits for Power (Check!) Has Speed (Check!) Has a strong throwing arm (No check) and has good defensive skills (Check!)  And you want to dump this guy because you think he's fragile?  Because Beltre runs him over and breaks ribs or because some 230 lb player lands on him when he's in an awkward position and screws up his shoulder?  Get real for just a minute, will ya? These were both freak accidents. Or.. we could get rid of him because Softy's Sheeple have now come to believe that his arm isn't as good as we wish it were.   IMO you guys are NUTS!!
    Posted by S5

great post. ellsbury has been my favorite player since i first saw him play in '07 i knew he was going to be special. you don't trade off a guy like him. you BUILD AROUND him and go championship bound lebron james style (not 2 not 3 not 4). you could easily say he has the best defense of any OF'er in the game right now and get little debate from anyone (except softy but you knopw how that goes..) his whole career hes hit for average and sprayed the ball to all fields, he consistently racks up stolen bases every year. On that resume alone you keep the kid and build your team around him, add in his newfound power and it puts him over the top IMO.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

We would have found out if Ben had pulled the trigger on 7/31 to Texas.....  The value would have been calculated in the package of the BECKETT$ DUMP as well as the players that came back to us.  The ship on the signing of Elesbury never came into port, never mind has sailed !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Nope. Compared to Crawfords arm lol. Nope, compared to a girls' softball team. As revealed by Crawford's recent throw in NY, which hit the catcher on the fly, Crawford is the one with the average arm. The torn ligament is his issue, among many others.  I want to put eight guys out there every day who have speed and play hard. See the Twins game, last night, about Ellsbury not playing hard every day.   I want eight guys who can hit for average, hit for power, and steal bases. Since being named a Red Sox starting OF'er in 2008, Ellsbury has averaged 12 HR per season. He has 1 HR this season. He can't hit for power on a career average basis, and must have the hitter in front of him playing at a league elite level to hit for any power at all. He can hit for average and steal basis.   I wante eight guys who can spray the ball around.  I want eight guys who will disrupt a pitcher's rhythm when on base and, from a fan's point of view, are FUN TO WATCH.  And if his arm is "average", I'll live with four "plus, plus"-es and one "average".  Disrupting a pitcher's rhythim when Ellsbury is on base has produced a losing brand of AL baseball. It disrupts the hitter, more than it distrupts the pitcher. His arm is not average. He has a hard time reaching the infield on the fly, much less one or two bounces to home plate. You should go to the circus if you watch baseball to see players that are "fun to watch". It's cheaper than paying for acts that usually don't show up for the show. Professional baseball is a team sport that is measured by winning. The Red Sox are almost a half a decade's worth of Ellsbury as a starting OF'er and have zero winning teams to show for it. Give me the boring everyday and every season production of Manny and Ortiz. 
    Posted by TrotterNixon

he needs an "elite hitter" in front of him?? you do know he bats leadoff right?? and even so, the guys hitting in front of him were who usually? scoot, reddick aviles? hardly elite hitters dont you agree??

you will go to no ends to try to disparage ells. jealous much?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Nope. Compared to Crawfords arm lol. Nope, compared to a girls' softball team. As revealed by Crawford's recent throw in NY, which hit the catcher on the fly, Crawford is the one with the average arm. The torn ligament is his issue, among many others.  I want to put eight guys out there every day who have speed and play hard. See the Twins game, last night, about Ellsbury not playing hard every day.   I want eight guys who can hit for average, hit for power, and steal bases. Since being named a Red Sox starting OF'er in 2008, Ellsbury has averaged 12 HR per season. He has 1 HR this season. He can't hit for power on a career average basis, and must have the hitter in front of him playing at a league elite level to hit for any power at all. He can hit for average and steal basis.   I wante eight guys who can spray the ball around.  I want eight guys who will disrupt a pitcher's rhythm when on base and, from a fan's point of view, are FUN TO WATCH.  And if his arm is "average", I'll live with four "plus, plus"-es and one "average".  Disrupting a pitcher's rhythim when Ellsbury is on base has produced a losing brand of AL baseball. It disrupts the hitter, more than it distrupts the pitcher. His arm is not average. He has a hard time reaching the infield on the fly, much less one or two bounces to home plate. You should go to the circus if you watch baseball to see players that are "fun to watch". It's cheaper than paying for acts that usually don't show up for the show. Professional baseball is a team sport that is measured by winning. The Red Sox are almost a half a decade's worth of Ellsbury as a starting OF'er and have zero winning teams to show for it. Give me the boring everyday and every season production of Manny and Ortiz. 
    Posted by TrotterNixon

Figures don't lie but liars can figure. 

You like to keep quoting yearly averages to prove that Ells isn't the player we all know he is.  All but Softy's Sheeple know that that average is skewed because of his bad luck injuries.  But you go ahead and keep saying that. It destroys whatever limited credibility you alread have. 

Some things aren't related.  Some things happen not because of the bogus reasons you state but for OTHER reasons.  Your continued assertions that this team hasn't won a WS because Ells is there makes no sense.  If this were true the Sox would have been a juggernaut during the periods when Ells was injured.  It makes as much sense as saying that this team isn't winning because beer is so expensive in Fenway!  

I will modify my post because of a point you bring up though. I don't want eight guys like Ellsbury. I want seven guys like Ellsbury combined with Ortiz and a person who plays like Druggie Manny without the drugs. THAT would be fun to watch.  

Unless, of course, I'm not supposed to be having fun when I'm watching baseball. What a stupid, stupid thing for you to have said.  

F Lee Bailey you aint!!  LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Posted by TrotterNixon

Softy, 

Go back to your kennel and go to sleep. You're barking up the wrong tree. In case you haven't noticed just about everyone on this board knows your an idiot !!

Hetch

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts