whats gone wrong this year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

whats gone wrong this year

lets start with spring training.they did very little to work on the physical,mental and fundemental aspects of the game.witness the 2-10 start.the fundementals still stink and they've gone full circle on the physical and mental aspects.
    who's responsible for this?
    the manager and coaches.coma's job to get these guys mentally prepared and make sure coaches are doing their jobs.young has been terrible.notice hickey in rays pen watching his starter warm up.where's young?sitting in dugout with his charts.he can't get lester thru first innings.he can't get bard on track or albers or wheeler.
    medical staff could be replaced by high school nurse.if papi's back was hurting on plane,why weren't they trating him well before the game.if agon cramping,treat him in dugout betweem innings.diagnose a medical problem right the first time.
    theo did nothing to help team at trade deadline.look at all the good pitchers he passed on.plus we can thank him for crawford,jenks,albers,wheeler,slackey,dicek and on and on.all he knows how to do is spend john henrys money.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: whats gone wrong this year

Here is my perspective:  Nothing has gone wrong yet.  the goal is to survive the regular season, make the playoffs and make a deep run.  Things are hitting rock bottom right now, but, until they are elminated from contention, they are still on track to achieve these goals.  Sure, it doesn't look positive right now.  but here is what is positive:  despite this slump, despite the slump to start the season, despite a myriad of injuries and poor pitching performances, the Sox have done enough really good things this year to still be in control of their destiny:  no matter how things look, 3 games up is much, much better than 3 games down on Sept. 16.   They are in the driver's seat to make the post season.  No excuses.  They are playing bad ball right now.  But, they are a Beckett money start away from turning that around.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: whats gone wrong this year:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: whats gone wrong this year : Spaceman not doubting you, but do you think Beckett will get us into the 8th inning tonight? Pitch until we can get to Paplebon?
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

That would be tremendous if he did.  But 8 is not necessary, nor would it even be prudent, given his time-off.  If he gives us 7, I am more than happy with that.  Certainly the pen was taxed last night.  But, while I fully expect Josh to come up big tonight, I seriously doubt he gets us to Paps.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

no worries folks

the yanks will take care of the Rays 4U

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I don't see why this game is all on Beckett's shoulder's. Sox still have to do early damage to Shields. Shields doesn't pitch well in Fenway and tonight is not the day for him to start.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: whats gone wrong this year:
    [QUOTE]I don't see why this game is all on Beckett's shoulder's. Sox still have to do early damage to Shields. Shields doesn't pitch well in Fenway and tonight is not the day for him to start.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    unfortunately, I think it is on Becketts Shoulders.....historically Shields hasnt pitched well in Boston but his last Start in August he went 8, gave up 3 hits and 3 runs(all on a HR by Ellsbury) and his last start he completely shut us down in Tampa and he's been on fire his last 4 starts. The way our offense is going healthwise if we score 3 runs it may need to be enough...that measn 7 strong from Beckett....Bard back on track....and Paps closing it out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

No bench, no BP, and the real Carl Crawford showed up.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

The Sox are trying to win with a pitching staff that consists of Lackey, Miller, Wakefield, Bowden, Moralas, Doubront, Atchison, Wheeler, and Albers, now does that sound or look like a staff that brings fear to anyone? Now add the fact that Bard has picked this time of the year to go south, Beckett has a injured ankle, Buccholz hasn't pitched in 3 months, and Bedard has another injury, thay surely doesn't equate to success, espically when trying to catch the Yankee's or hold off the Ray's. Let's face that staff would not win in Pawtucket.

Now factor in the facts that while Gonzalez is having  VERY GOOD year, he is not a vocal leader, seems to play with no outward emotion, Youkilis is hurting to the point he does not look good and probably should not be playing[his body language indicates that, very slow bat etc.], CRawford is not productive and he appears to have the same lack of qualities I see in Gonzalez, Drew quit on the team in June, it's not hard to see this team in deep trouble and possibly not making the playoff's.

And consider the  fact that if they do somehow make the playofff's, what kind of team will they be by then? Certainly not a team peaking or playing with alot of confidence, thus in all likelyhood a quick exit from the playoff's.

Blame can and should be on everyone, starting with Theo[who I always liked,but am seeing certain flaws in him], he did not go out at the july deadline and get some much needed bullpen help and possibly another starter, although the need was their for everyone to see.

Then their is Francona, his total lack of managerial skills is becoming more glaring with each game, so lets  not dwell on him.

And of course the player's who seem to have tucked their tails between their legs and look like they have all but given up. No one seems to have leadership qualities, or at least  have stepped forward. That is what I'm most disappointed with. I would have thought Ortiz would become that leader, but he doesn't seemed to have assumed that role.

This collaspe is a total team effort with know real leadership.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

We began the season with Jonathan Lester, Josh Beckett, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey and Daisuke Matsuzaka in the rotation. Three potential 20-game winners. Lester and Buchholz coming off career years. High hopes.

Well, Matsuzaka hasn't pitched since May, Buchholz since June. Together, they have a combined 22 starts and nine wins. Conversely, 45-year-old Tim Wakefield and Andrew Miller (he of the sub-.500 career record) have a combined 33 starts and 13 wins.

Maybe we could skate by on that, but John Lackey has been thoroughly disappointing. Throw in a bullpen that has only three dependable arms (that's counting Bard, who until a week ago was dependable), and you get what has happened.

Why anyone would have to ask "what has gone wrong" is beyond me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Awful pitching, period:

From July 15th, when the Sox opened the second half in Tampa Bay, until today, their starters have thrown 332.2 innings in 58 games. Only two teams have had their starters stay on the mound for fewer innings, the Cleveland Indians and the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Indians have played two fewer games than the Sox. Chicago Cubs starters have also tossed 332.2 innings, but in 56 games.

The leaders are the Rays (398.2) and the Phillies (368.2). The Yankees and their patchwork pitching rotation rank fourth (359).

The Red Sox have gotten 68 quality starts this year -- a starter going six or more innings and allowing three runs or fewer. Only Kansas City, the Cubs, Colorado and Baltimore have fewer. Outside of Colorado (70-78) those teams would need the Hubble telescope to see what .500 looks like, never mind competing for a playoff spot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

This year????  This collapse is classic example of continuing inept management from the top down.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

So far this year everything that could go wrong with the weakest part of the team has gone wrong.
    Normally your pitching can carry you through some tough times hitting. However not this year. There is only two guys pitching as of today who were SP coming out of ST. No matter how much people hate Dice if he was here he'd be the #5 guy at worst and based upon history would have 10+ wins.
    Just having Clay out has cost the team 20 starts by a top of the rotation guy.

The RS have had 10 different SP.The Rays 7, NYY 7, Balt & Jays 12 each.
    This says a lot.

IMHO like last years injuries at the wrong time to the wrong players have done or are doing this team in.

BTW I'm not one of these guys that believe the NYY or the RS can go out and get any guy they want at any time. It always takes two to tango and in many cases other teams do not wish to dance with the RS or NYY.

Sections
Shortcuts