What's holding up the Hanrahan trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

What's holding up the Hanrahan trade?

There must be some big names being thrown around.  Is there any chance possible that McClutchen is being talked about?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: What's holding up the Hanrahan trade?

I highly doubt it. The Pirates want a third player from Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

McCutcheon really unlikely.  My pure guess is that they are discussing adding in Jones and Kalish.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

We know that Pimentel and Sands are leaving and Melancon's name has been thrown in the mix as well.  But I also read that Melancon hasn't been notified and the last two players leaving the Red Sox are not starters.  

I know it's unlikely, but what if Bogaerts, Barnes, or Bradley are involved for McClutchen?  This trade seems pretty complex and is rumored to be worked on until after Christmas.  To me, it seems like Jones or Sanchez wouldn't complicate things that much.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would add Doubie to the trade if they could pick up Jones for 1 b and OF replacement. Ben would only do it if he feels Nap is not going to be signed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

My guess?  What is holding up the deal is the Napoli situation.  Perhaps the Sox have a take-it-or-leave-it position with Napoli and a deadline on the offer of Dec. 26th.  If Napoli does not agree to reworked deal, the Sox add Iglesias and Melancon and receive Sanchez or Jones.  If he DOES agree, Sox stick with the two for one swap already reported.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

My guess?  What is holding up the deal is the Napoli situation.  Perhaps the Sox have a take-it-or-leave-it position with Napoli and a deadline on the offer of Dec. 26th.  If Napoli does not agree to reworked deal, the Sox add Iglesias and Melancon and receive Sanchez or Jones.  If he DOES agree, Sox stick with the two for one swap already reported.

pretty valid hypothesis.. that would also clear up another 13ish mil for this season (not knowing the specifics of sanchez/jones contract)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

There must be some big names being thrown around.  Is there any chance possible that McClutchen is being talked about?

For what it's worth, Andrew McCutchen's AAV salary* would push the Red Sox over the luxury tax threshhold if you believe the payroll figures reported by Scott Lauber at the Boston Herald:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/clubhouse_insider/2012/12/money_matters_look_red_sox_payroll_commitments_2013

* and Joel Hanrahan's projected salary of $6.9 million

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

For what it's worth, Andrew McCutchen's AAV salary* would push the Red Sox over the luxury tax threshhold if you believe the payroll figures reported by Scott Lauber at the Boston Herald:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/clubhouse_insider/2012/12/money_matters_look_red_sox_payroll_commitments_2013

If you got McC  you would trade Ells and retain his $8--hopefully you would then be under.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Could be as simple as the players invloved needing to pass physicals...It is the holidays so some of the players involved might be out of town traveling etc...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Could be as simple as the players invloved needing to pass physicals...It is the holidays so some of the players involved might be out of town traveling etc...

That makes sense.  I think you and parhunter55 are probably right.  Physicals and the Napoli situation could be holding it up.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

There is the possiblity that McCutchen is the other player coming back to Boston.

But somehow I do not think you were referring to RHP Dan McCutchen.  The chances the Sox get Andrew McCutchen in this deal are roughly the same as the chances to Sox name me the Opening Day starting pitcher...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

That really depends on how the Mike Napoli situation unfolds now, doesn't it?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

This is the best post I have seen in a while.  Good insight.  I would not be surprised if this is exactly what is going on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

and no one has called anyone an idot yet...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Andrew McCutchen---other than Buch and Lester or Pedroia and one of those starters we don't have anyone they would take in trade for him. They need that guy 30 plus 90 over a .300 ave--no way they move him.

Even for us to get Garrett Jones after his big year last year it would take one of our Killer B's and probably a starting pitcher.

I agree with Edith--perhaps include Melancon and in return a prospect--not Zach Stewart.

We open up two 40 man roster spots if Mel goes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Andrew McCutchen---other than Buch and Lester or Pedroia and one of those starters we don't have anyone they would take in trade for him. They need that guy 30 plus 90 over a .300 ave--no way they move him.

Even for us to get Garrett Jones after his big year last year it would take one of our Killer B's and probably a starting pitcher.

I agree with Edith--perhaps include Melancon and in return a prospect--not Zach Stewart.

We open up two 40 man roster spots if Mel goes.

Garrett Jones is a platoon player, whivh is exactly how Pittsburgh uses him. Veru unlikly tje Sox voew him as an adequate replacement for NapolI. You overestimate what it would take to get him. Even ig the Killer B was Brentz who is a distant 4th on that list.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

It could also be that the two parties have just taken a break for the holidays with the deal still on the back burner.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Oops...that was the fiscal cliff issue and Congress - not the Sox and Pirates!  My bad.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Holidays, Napoli situation, physicals are all valid explanations and likely reasons for the delay.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

There is a far better chance that Dustin Pedroia is being discussed.

Still remote.

Sections
Shortcuts