What's More Impressive?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

What's More Impressive?

That with five more steals that Ellsbury will be third all time in Sox history in stolen bases.

OR

That Yaz right now is third all time in stolen bases.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: What's More Impressive?

Neither.  Boston is a candidate for the "we try not to steal things" capital of MLB.  It's like the green monster creates a force field that prevents runners from going from first to second on their own. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm not sure if impressive is the right word. I just thought they were interesting stats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Carl Yastrzemski was a smart baserunner, much like Derek Jeter. Not blessed with blazing speed, knew how to read pitchers well and knew what counts were best to run on.

Ellsbury has speed period. He is not very smart as a baserunner.

Rickey Henderson was both smart and fast, when it came to baserunning. Easily the best I ever saw. He couldn't remember his shoe size, but he was a great basestealer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: What's More Impressive?:
    [QUOTE]Carl Yastrzemski was a smart baserunner, much like Derek Jeter. Not blessed with blazing speed, knew how to read pitchers well and knew what counts were best to run on. Ellsbury has speed period. He is not very smart as a baserunner. Rickey Henderson was both smart and fast, when it came to baserunning. Easily the best I ever saw. He couldn't remember his shoe size, but he was a great basestealer.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

so really, RICKEY wasn't that smart.
    vince coleman was another great baserunner. i don't know if he knew his own shoe size though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]Carl Yastrzemski was a smart baserunner, much like Derek Jeter. Not blessed with blazing speed, knew how to read pitchers well and knew what counts were best to run on. Ellsbury has speed period. He is not very smart as a baserunner. Rickey Henderson was both smart and fast, when it came to baserunning. Easily the best I ever saw. He couldn't remember his shoe size, but he was a great basestealer.

The earlier version of Yaz was that of a terrible base-runner, it helped spawn Eddie Stankey saying that 'Yaz was an all-star from the neck down'.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's More Impressive? : so really, RICKEY wasn't that smart. vince coleman was another great baserunner. i don't know if he knew his own shoe size though.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

I once heard a story that Rickey told John Olerud that when he played on another team the firstbaseman also wore his batting helmet in the field.

John replied, "Rickey that was me."

Rickey didn't remember that Olerud played with him on the Mariners and also on the Mets.

There have been other stories about Rickey that are actually quite humorous.

I don't mean him any disrespect, I think he was a wonderful ballplayer and very entertaining, but, like our old friend Manny, he would have some "Rickey" moments.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's More Impressive? : I once heard a story that Rickey told John Olerud that when he played on another team the firstbaseman also wore his batting helmet in the field. John replied, "Rickey that was me." Rickey didn't remember that Olerud played with him on the Mariners and also on the Mets. There have been other stories about Rickey that are actually quite humorous. I don't mean him any disrespect, I think he was a wonderful ballplayer and very entertaining, but, like our old friend Manny, he would have some "Rickey" moments.
       Rickey would have told you that Rickey was the greatest base stealer of all time, and that Rickey hit the most lead off HR, and also that Rickey scored the most runs in history, and not to  forget that Rickey was a hall of famer. Rickey would make sure you understood just how great a player Rickey was.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

a couple more classic Rickey quotes:

After being traded to the Yankees in the mid-1980s, Rickey apparently bragged to his teammates about the fabulous view from his apartment. He said that he could see "The Entire State Building."

While playing for the Mets in 1999, there was an incident when Rickey noticed reporters stirring around the clubhouse before a game. He was informed by a teammate that Tom Robson, the team's hitting coach, had been fired. Henderson asked, "Who's he?"

In his first season with the Padres in 1996, Rickey was once looking for a seat on the team bus and teammate Steve Finley said, "You have tenure, sit wherever you want." Rickey allegedly replied, "Ten years? Rickey's been playing at least 16, 17 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Another interesting fact is that, despite the storied Boston history, Paps became the all-time save leader - with under 200 saves at the time.

It's no wonder it took 86 years...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]Another interesting fact is that, despite the storied Boston history, Paps became the all-time save leader - with under 200 saves at the time. It's no wonder it took 86 years...
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Relief pitching was used differently back in the day, look up Dick Radatz of the mid-sixties, and look at the innings pitched, all in relief. In one year he had 16 wins and set the relief strike-out record with around 180, I'm too lazy to look up the actual number.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You are right.
    My point is, if you look at all-time team save leaders, I think you'll find that 100+ year-old franchises have all-time save leaders that exceed 164 saves. 

Boston traditionally prioritized "the starting 9".
    Strong station-to-station offense and starting pitching.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's More Impressive? :    Relief pitching was used differently back in the day, look up Dick Radatz of the mid-sixties, and look at the innings pitched, all in relief. In one year he had 16 wins and set the relief strike-out record with around 180, I'm too lazy to look up the actual number.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

My favorite stat is Mike Marshall's IP from 1974. He pitched 208 innings, all in relief (106 games). There are a lot of starters today who won't miss a start and still not hit 200 innings. He had a starter's W-L record 15-12 along with 21 saves. He finished 83 of the 106 games he pitched. Again -- NO STARTS.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's More Impressive? : My favorite stat is Mike Marshall's IP from 1974. He pitched 208 innings, all in relief (106 games). There are a lot of starters today who won't miss a start and still not hit 200 innings. He had a starter's W-L record 15-12 along with 21 saves. He finished 83 of the 106 games he pitched. Again -- NO STARTS.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Marshal's pitching arm was huge - it lookedlike it belonged to the incredible HULK!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's More Impressive? : Marshal's pitching arm was huge - it lookedlike it belonged to the incredible HULK!
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Maybe there's something to hit pitching theories. He claims to have never had any arm/shoulder injuries despite that kind of workload.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's More Impressive? : Maybe there's something to hit pitching theories. He claims to have never had any arm/shoulder injuries despite that kind of workload.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

That's because he was a freak when it came to knowing every muscle and tissue in the arm: their stress point and how to build it up. He had no peers in that respect. He could have been a physician with his immense knowledge.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In Response to What's More Impressive?:
    [QUOTE]That with five more steals that Ellsbury will be third all time in Sox history in stolen bases. OR That Yaz right now is third all time in stolen bases.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Surprised to hear Yaz stole that many bases, probably like Dustin Pedroia relying on the high baseball IQ moreso than speed; which basestealer combined speed and baserunning smarts best do you think--Wills, Brock, someone else?  As an aside, I wonder what is the highest % success rate in a basestealer with at least say 100 attempts all time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i remember Yaz being super aggressive on the bathpaths...even when he was an old man and his cigarette habit was making him huff and puff like mad...lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]Neither.  Boston is a candidate for the "we try not to steal things" capital of MLB.  It's like the green monster creates a force field that prevents runners from going from first to second on their own. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

It just might have been the fact that for decades they had very few players who had the ability to steal and that the FO never pursued players with those skills. Bosox lineups were cultivated to hit with power and not run the bases. Even today, Moneyball / Bill James doesn't stress risky baserunning. Tito was hired to mirror the philosophy of this mentality. If you desire a team that does things differently then find another team to root for.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Neither.  Boston is a candidate for the "we try not to steal things" capital of MLB.  It's like the green monster creates a force field that prevents runners from going from first to second on their own. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. Only Pedey gets it and knows it's ok to steal 2B.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's More Impressive? : I once heard a story that Rickey told John Olerud that when he played on another team the firstbaseman also wore his batting helmet in the field. John replied, "Rickey that was me." Rickey didn't remember that Olerud played with him on the Mariners and also on the Mets. There have been other stories about Rickey that are actually quite humorous. I don't mean him any disrespect, I think he was a wonderful ballplayer and very entertaining, but, like our old friend Manny, he would have some "Rickey" moments.

Rickey was never w/ the M's you must have meant The Jays...Mets and Jays....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to What's More Impressive?:
    [QUOTE]That with five more steals that Ellsbury will be third all time in Sox history in stolen bases. OR That Yaz right now is third all time in stolen bases.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Could the fact that Yaz played in 3308 games for the Red Sox have anything to do with his being third in stolen bases. Perhaps he was fourth in trips to the postgame buffet table.

23. This post has been removed.