What's the best option for the RS when Youk returns?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

What's the best option for the RS when Youk returns?

Your opinions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: What's the best option for the RS when Youk returns?

We do not have a bat off the bench other than now Gomez, Punto and Shop--keep Youk on the bench to PH, fill in at third, Play 2nd if need be with Pedroia moving to SS and Aviles to RF or LF if need be.

Entertain trade ideas for Youk---there are many teams that would take him for full price and prospects to play 1 B.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: What's the best option for the RS when Youk returns?:
    [QUOTE]We do not have a bat off the bench other than now Gomez, Punto and Shop--keep Youk on the bench to PH, fill in at third, Play 2nd if need be with Pedroia moving to SS and Aviles to RF or LF if need be. Entertain trade ideas for Youk---there are many teams that would take him for full price and prospects to play 1 B.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    Many commentators would disagree ... could you offer a specific trade proposal?

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7907550/why-boston-red-sox-trade-kevin-youkilis

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Hill---I spotted this on MLBTR today:

If Red Sox Kevin Youkilis can show he’s healthy, there’s a strong third base market out there for Boston. A National League special assignment scout told Cafardo that theGiants and Phillies are looking while the Rays could factor in, even though they say they aren't in search of an answer at third base.

This was another mention from over the weekend:
    Olney speculates that the Dodgers could be a good landing spot this summer for Kevin Youkilis if James Loney doesn't turn things around and the club is in search of an upgrade at first.  Youkilis, of course, would have to appear healthy enough to take on for the rest of the season.

I hope he can get healthy for his own sake and for the Sox--you never know what's going to happen, it's a long season as we all know.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

One thing that I didnt understand that Boston purchased Gomez from the AAA system.  Why can they leave them down there, and keep Youkilis and Middlebrook on the roster.  Maybe Agonz and Papi may need a day off in sometime this week and next week.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

keep youk until the trade deadline....you never know who might get hurt and some team in the thick of the race will pay nicely for him...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Who else do we have that can play 1st base? Is Gonzo playing 162 games this season?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

If past performance is any indication, there's no way Youk stays healthy enough to garner interest from other teams.

his stats have been sliding for the past 2 season and he missed the end of last season with serious back problems.  those don't go away.

and where is he now, on the DL with back problems.

I'd like to see Middlebrooks get a chance to ride this thing out if he can get enough ABs with Youkilis expanding our bench a little.  Otherwise send him [Middlebrooks] back down to Paw until the late season call up with the expanded roster.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to What's the best option for the RS when Youk returns?:
    [QUOTE]Your opinions?
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Youk to left field !!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would work Middlebrooks out in Left the next week before every game.  Move Nava to right and move the combo of Sweeney/Ross to Center and keep Youk at third occasionally giving AGon a day off at first. So far I haven't seen Middy do anything Youk can't do defensively. Showing Youk off at third and first for a couple of weeks if it means finding a trade partner --do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Trading Youkilis is only a good idea if either of two things can happen.

First, would be getting a quality pitcher for him and second would be getting some salary relief.  If both things could happen at the same time, that would be even better.  I really do not see the Sox renewing his contract for next year or having a roster place on the bench for him at the price tag that is the team's option.

Gonzalez is going no where (and shouldn't) so Youkilis is not going to be needed at first base.  The Sox have several guys (Ortiz, Saltalamacchia, Punto) who can fill in there enough to give Gonzalez a day off here and there.  Youkilis is a fan favorite, but he has declined in many areas in the last few years and may be replaced by Middlebrooks already.

He will have to play to prove his health has returned (at least for a time) once he gets off the DL in order to trade him so Middlebrooks may have to go back to Pawtucket for a few weeks even though he is off to a nice start in the last two weeks.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

If the Sox end up trading Youk I am betting on the Dodgers 1st Base needs becoming why and where.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Option Youk to the Patriots to carry his BRO-inlaw's BAG !!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Rookies can slump at any time.  Middlebrooks has mediocre plate discipline and a long swing.  A prolonged slump could be coming.  (I dont mean to knock Middlebrooks, I'm very impressed with his  raw power and plate coverage).

Considering A) Papi could revert back to being useless against lefties, B) Papi could get hurt, C) MB could slump, D) MB could get hurt, E) AGON could get hurt, F) The outfield remains a possibility....I think it's worth it to keep Youk around.  I just think that as insurance / depth, he is more valualbe than what we would get in return (bullpen help).

I voted for a timeshare.  I would play middlebrooks at 3B 70% of the time, have Youk play 3b 30% of the time, then use Youk as a subersub to get him additional at-bats.

Of course, this assumes that Youk is willing to take this role and doesnt turn into a major distraction.

Sections
Shortcuts