What's the most pathetic baseball injury you've ever heard of?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: What's the most pathetic baseball injury you've ever heard of?

Old friend Marty Cordova, thankfully NOT while with the Sox, from wiki:

"He is also known for having fallen asleep in a tanning bed, which prevented him from playing several day games with the Orioles"

If you want to expand to football, Frerotte and Gramatica would be in the running.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know this isn't a baseball injury, but as a Bucks fan, I remember Lucious Allen slipping on a warm-up jacket and tearing up his knee right before the championship series vs the Celtics. This forced Oscar Robertson to become the point guard and Mickey Davis to play SG. The Celts squeeked by in a 7t game thriller.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I remember a Sox pitcher once missed a start or two because he slammed the screen door on his finger. (I can't remember his name.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Eric Davis once fell asleep under an air conditioner vent and missed several games due to a stiff neck.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Intestinal turmoil 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

In Response to Re: What's the most pathetic baseball injury you've ever heard of?:
    [QUOTE]From businessinsider.com: Fake Spider Attacks And A Pinched Testicle: The 11 Most Bizarre Injuries Baseball Players Have Ever Suffered  St. Louis Cardinals speedster Vince Coleman couldn't escape a mechanical tarp machine fast enough in 1985. Coleman had to sit out the remainder of the playoffs and World Series after getting caught in the field tarp and injuring his knee. Hall of Famer Wade Boggs is one of the best hitters in Boston Red Sox history. He's also part of a very odd incident involving cowboy boots. Boggs was in his hotel room during the 1986 season trying to remove the boot from his foot when he lost his balance and went ribcage-first into the side of a couch. He would miss 6-season games. Glenallen Hill's injury as a rookie with Toronto in 1990 takes the cake. Hill, who suffered from severe arachnophobia and sleepwalking, was having a terrible nightmare about spiders. In order to escape the spiders, an asleep Hill climbed the stairs in his apartment and then fell onto a glass table, scraping and cutting his knees and elbows. He woke up on the couch to his wife's screaming. Hill sat out the following day's game against Seattle. While still with the Seattle Mariners in the early 1990s, Ken Griffey Jr.'s protective cup slipped and pinched his testicle. Jr. had to sit out a few games after that. Pitcher Steve Sparks tried to imitate a group of motivational speakers who ripped apart phone books once. It led to a dislocated shoulder in 1994. Like most of us, former Padres pitcher Adam Eaton finds the shrink wrap on DVD cases to be quite annoying. Eaton missed a start in 2001 after trying to cut some of it open. He ended up in the emergency room after stabbing himself in the stomach. Chicago Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa met his kryptonite when a violent sneeze caused back spasms, sidelining him for a while in 2004. Steroids much? Clint Barmes went hunting with fellow Colorado Rocky Todd Helton in 2005. He broke his collarbone carrying deer meat up the stairs afterward. Flame-throwing Detroit Tigers reliever Joel Zumaya was unavailable during the 2006 playoffs because of too much Guitar Hero. The popular video game led to forearm and wrist inflammation. Kids, if you have to sneeze let it loose! Then San Diego Padres pitcher Mat Latos held one back in 2010, straining the left side of his body and landing on the 15-day disabled list. Shaving cream pies are a time-honored baseball celebratory tradition, but Marlins outfielder Chris Coghlan tore the meniscus in his knee while throwing one of those pies into a teammate's face in 2010.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]
    Hilarious stuff, 2004..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

George Brett removed from a game in the 1980 World Series due to hemorrhoid pain. After undergoing minor surgery, Brett returned to play in the next game, stating, "...my problems are all behind me."

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It has to be Carl Pavano's DL stint due to a Bruised Buttock. And I don't even want to know how it happened, but fir sure it wasn't a game injury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

How about Ferrotte, the Redskin QB who head butted a padded cement wall?  I guess he didn't realize that cement walls are hard even with an inch of foam on them.  mIs this where 'cement head' comes from?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From ESPN's "Painfully true stories of injury cover-ups":

Kazuhiro Sasaki's personal baggage

When Montreal pitcher Dennis Martinez strained a muscle in his side trying to lift a suitcase in 1993, Richard Griffin, then the team's media relations director, referred to the malady as "Samsonitis."

Martinez was lucky enough to miss one start. Kazuhiro Sasaki, in contrast, missed 68 days after allegedly breaking two ribs carrying a suitcase up a flight of stairs in June 2003. Seattle was 42-19 when Sasaki went down, but the injury did a number on the bullpen, and the Mariners went 51-50 the rest of the way.

Sasaki, who had lost some zip off his fastball and was in danger of losing save opportunities to Eddie Guardado and Shigetoshi Hasegawa in Seattle, forfeited the $8.5 million left on his contract to return to Japan and pitch for the Yokohama BayStars in 2004.

In hindsight, nobody ever bought the suitcase story. Robert Whiting, a baseball author with strong ties to Japan, later said that sources told him Sasaki hurt himself while drinking and practicing pro-wrestling style maneuvers with some friends.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&page=starting9/090819

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Jayson Stark lists the top 10 ST injuries of all time, including this classic for #1:

"And the greatest spring training injury of all time is … Brewers knuckleballer Steve Sparks will never live down this 1994 classic. After the team brought in a group of motivational speakers whose routine included ripping up phone books to demonstrate mind-over-matter techniques, Sparks decided to try the same trick -- and dislocated his left shoulder. Not only was this one of the freakiest injuries ever, trainer John Adam told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Tom Haudricourt, but it was also one of the most annoying -- 'because I had to look up a number later.' "

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/7666465/greatest-spring-injuries-all-time

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: What's the most pathetic baseball injury you've ever heard of?:
    [QUOTE]How about Ferrotte, the Redskin QB who head butted a padded cement wall?  I guess he didn't realize that cement walls are hard even with an inch of foam on them.  mIs this where 'cement head' comes from? http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cts=1331518828541&ved=0CEMQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMdWK-aam0Jo&ei=4VxdT-qPBojg0QG28ryhDw&usg=AFQjCNF5c_n2AHspD5lUCfFaDGR8JskioA&sig2=a8G1xupgtitrW_eEMgXWEg
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

When did ferrotte play baseball?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

didnt beckett twist his ankle last year putting on his uniform??? <burp>

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

smoltz is denying it but i remember hearing about this one back in the day.

As long as he's upending every other bit of conventional wisdom about pitching career this season, John Smoltz figures he may as well correct this little bit of misinformation too: He did not--never, ever (let's be perfectly clear about this)--burn himself by trying to iron his shirt while he was still wearing it.

"That is the most false thing I've ever heard," Smoltz says. "That got created six years ago, and it never left me. Ironing my shirt while it was on-that's the most absurd thing. It was made up. But it got on Arsenio Hall, CNN, everywhere. And what do you do to stop it? I just read it again."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

There was a baseball coach who noticed one of his players batting with his hands apart on the handle. You know, not together, with about a five-inch gap between then.
    So the coach takes the bat to show him. Look what happens if you hold your hands apart, he says. You have no control over the bat ... and as he demonstrates, he accidentally clocks himself in the side of his head. Hard.

Oh wait ... that was me last week at my son's Little League practice.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

David Cone: Got bit by his mother-in-law's-dog, a Jack Russell Terrier...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

Mo Vaughn missed a game in 2000 -- after a piece of leaky ceiling dropped into his eye. "We're meeting that curse head-on," said manager Mike Scioscia. "We're not going to let a little drywall stop us."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

If you remember Paxton Crawford:

He was drafted in 1995 by the Boston Red Sox and worked as reliever and spot starter for the team in the 2000 and 2001 seasons. After the 2002 season, which he spent in the minors, he became a free agent and signed briefly with the Oakland Athletics in 2003 and the Cincinnati Reds in 2004, but he never made another appearance in the major leagues.

Crawford is most remembered in Boston for suffering an unusual injury in July 2000 just prior to an expected recall to the Red Sox from their Pawtucket Red Sox AAA affiliate. A day after pitching a 7 inning no-hitter, he allegedly rolled off a hotel bed in Ottawa and landed on a glass that he had left on the floor. The injury required eight stitches.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Seem to remember Graig Nettles missing a significant amount of games for the Yanks with an ingrown nail.....which I am sure can be very painful...but every football player and Hockey player in the country must have been in hysterics.

Sections
Shortcuts