whats up with people?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

whats up with people?

I don't get how if you are a red sox fan you can root against a player who is playing well. for example, IF Nancy Drew or Lackey (two crowd displeasers) played a great game i was happy for them despite not wanting them on the team. IF Lackey is throwing a no-hitter through 8 innings i'm not rooting for him to let up a hit because i dislike him so much. Same goes for Nancy, IF the bases were loaded and he was up to bat I would be hoping he puts it over the fence and not ground into a DP just to reinforce me opinion about him...

seriously, you call yourself a sox fan? some people need to take a walk around town listening to "dust in the wind" and re-evaluate their fandom.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: whats up with people?

Right on. It seems like some people get so caught up with rooting against certain players just so they can be "proven right" or whatever. I don't get that. I support and hope for the success of anyone in a Red Sox uniform.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

They pray every night that the ones they dislike to screw up in some way just to be able to say "I told you so."

By the same token if that player does well aka: Jacoby they will never praise and just lay in wait for one 0-4 game so they can say "I told you so".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

You have no control over these types. Just study them for awhile and determine if it is worth your time. Normally you are just whistling into the wind or peeing into a snow bank.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Are there many people in the forum like this?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

not many.. just a few people with many usernames LOL

i just ignore them usually. theres no reasoning with them so why bother?

welcome to the forum BTW

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I'll go further:  no decent, thinking person would abuse an athlete (or poet, or carpenter, or psychologist....) for failure alone.

If (you think) an athlete is dogging it I can understand booing them, but failure?  Do people think Yaz wanted to hit a pop up to end the '78 playoff game vs. Gossage?  Was Buckner keen to be abused (by idiots) for decades?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

There are a lot of guys that dislike certain players. Ortiz, Youk, Jacoby, Salty, Schop, Beckett, Lester, Bard, Aceves, Bailey, Melancon, Aviles, Crawford, etc....
    all have their detractors.

I can say I do believe the only RS player everyone roots for is Pedroia. Except for his first two months I have never heard a bad word about him on this forum.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to whats up with people?:
    I don't get how if you are a red sox fan you can root against a player who is playing well. for example, IF Nancy Drew or Lackey (two crowd displeasers) played a great game i was happy for them despite not wanting them on the team. IF Lackey is throwing a no-hitter through 8 innings i'm not rooting for him to let up a hit because i dislike him so much. Same goes for Nancy, IF the bases were loaded and he was up to bat I would be hoping he puts it over the fence and not ground into a DP just to reinforce me opinion about him... seriously, you call yourself a sox fan? some people need to take a walk around town listening to "dust in the wind" and re-evaluate their fandom.
    Posted by mef429

You can't ask a leopard to change its stripes. (sic)

I've wondered why fans have been so negative so often.  Especially in this last decade.

I'm a hopeless expector of better things.  I already know the lesser can happen. 

Good post.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

My whole family are red sox fans and all my life no matter what moves we made they always looked toward the positive. Maybe its why i'm an optimist, ecpecially about baseball. Sure i have negative opinions about players on the team but i would never root for them to do badly. it's counter-productive. The polar opposite of being a fan really

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to whats up with people?:
    I don't get how if you are a red sox fan you can root against a player who is playing well. for example, IF Nancy Drew or Lackey (two crowd displeasers) played a great game i was happy for them despite not wanting them on the team. IF Lackey is throwing a no-hitter through 8 innings i'm not rooting for him to let up a hit because i dislike him so much. Same goes for Nancy, IF the bases were loaded and he was up to bat I would be hoping he puts it over the fence and not ground into a DP just to reinforce me opinion about him... seriously, you call yourself a sox fan? some people need to take a walk around town listening to "dust in the wind" and re-evaluate their fandom.
    Posted by mef429

There are two posters in particular (you know who they are) that especially fall into this category. I've called them both out on it more than once, and have never gotten a satisfactory response, they just keep ranting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

If I disliked a player, or contract, I would love the chance to say "I really hate to be right about so and so, cuz the team just lost"  Or "Man am I glad I was wrong, what a win!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: whats up with people?:
    Since Schilling has been in the news today -- it reminded me how much of a kick I got out of his losing a no-hitter with two on in the ninth one year.  Any other Sox pitcher in the history of the team, I would have felt sorry for -- but by that time, I knew what a jerk Schilling was, so I thought it was quite funny at the time (still do). 
    Posted by bellhorn_

"I knew what a jerk Schilling was".  "how much of a kick I got out of his losing a no-hitter with two on in the ninth". "I thought it was quite funny at the time (still do)".

Wow, that's quite an admission.  You get honesty points, of course, for admitting such awful thoughts....and pity points for being raised in what must have been a home environment so toxic you take pride in your schadenfreude.

You were HAPPY a SOX pitcher lost a foothold on history?  That's disgusting, you have real problems.

I remember listening to the radio on the beach at my family's 4th of July picnic in 1983 to the game Righetti no-hit the Sox.   I wanted the Sox to win....if we were 40 games out of first I'd want to win.  If we were 50 games out of first on the last game of the season I'd want us to win.  But it was exciting...even on the radio...even though it was the other team's pitcher....the "hated" other team....

My first choice would have been a rally to win.....but second choice would have been losing to a no-hitter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

If I disliked a player, or contract, I would love the chance to say "I really hate to be right about so and so, cuz the team just lost"  Or "Man am I glad I was wrong, what a win!"
    Posted by chuchos

It is certainly our right to make such statements, even to vent a bit...but some folks
    just make it a habit, almost pathological. 

It is why I rarely ever said anything against Tito ,....so many others were always at the plate.  If complaining caused fat, we would be running a close 2nd or 3rd to Philly.  NYC would be the other player ....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: whats up with people? : It is certainly our right to make such statements, even to vent a bit...but some folks just make it a habit, almost pathological.  It is why I rarely ever said anything against Tito ,....so many others were always at the plate.  If complaining caused fat, we would be running a close 2nd or 3rd to Philly.  NYC would be the other player ....
    Posted by SinceYaz
    Well there ya go, it's 1 2 3 any way you look at it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

This guy starts a thread about abusing players using "Nancy Drew" in his OP. LOL We were really missing all your posts in six years here.

You've really managed to make up for it lately though, posting all around the board. I'm just waiting for you to come after the Sox fans that the Yankee fans & fan club don't particularly like. Oh wait, you just did that to me in another thread. Didn't take long at all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... some people need to take a walk around town listening to "dust in the wind" and re-evaluate their fandom.

I always hated that song. 

Can you come up with a better more meaningful and fitting song and I'll be on your side? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

... some people need to take a walk around town listening to "dust in the wind" and re-evaluate their fandom. I always hated that song.  Can you come up with a better more meaningful and fitting song and I'll be on your side? 
    Posted by moonslav59

Here come sandman?

oh wait

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Since Schilling has been in the news today -- it reminded me how much of a kick I got out of his losing a no-hitter with two on in the ninth one year.  Any other Sox pitcher in the history of the team, I would have felt sorry for -- but by that time, I knew what a jerk Schilling was, so I thought it was quite funny at the time (still do). 
    Posted by bellhorn_

How nice of you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

This guy starts a thread about abusing players using "Nancy Drew" in his OP. LOL We were really missing all your posts in six years here. You've really managed to make up for it lately though, posting all around the board. I'm just waiting for you to come after the Sox fans that the Yankee fans & fan club don't particularly like. Oh wait, you just did that to me in another thread. Didn't take long at all.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

I'm not "coming after" anyone. I just think its annoying that some people come one here just to bicker and agrue about things not even related to baseball...

@moon, the whole "take a stroll around town and listen to dust in the wind" is a bit from family guy. personally i would rather listen to metallica

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts