In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bogearts is no career MLB SS. But Iglesias is. Desipte a decade of trying to employ a slugging SS who isn't a SS, an elite fielding SS who hits .190 will provide more season long net run prevention/produced indexes than a .300 plus OF/1B/3B fielder will provide. The incompetent Red Sox still don't know that.  

[/QUOTE]

Why does Everyone say Bogaerts is "Too big" too play SS?? He is 6'3 175 pounds. Troy tulowitzski is 6'3 and 215 pounds and plays a great SS. Bogearts is more than capable of playing SS in my view and will be a good if not great SS throughout his Career. Igelsias Couldnt hit his way out of Wet paper bag. But im ok with giving him the Everday job in hopes of him proving me wrong.

[/QUOTE]

He just turned 20 and I think its more like 6'4 and 200LBS now...Still, his defense isnt that good at SS, but improving. I like him as a LF in Fenway in 2 years.

As far as Iggy goes. We have power at 1st and 3rd, Gomes in LF and a good contact hitter in SV in RF (for now) add Papi and thats were power will come from. Ross, Ells, Pedey and Iggy up the middle is about as good as it gets defensively.

Since theres nobody ready, Id give Iggy at least until the dealine to see how he does offensoively. That is unless they sign Drew to a 1 year deal. I just wouldnt trade Iggy just yet. hes hit a respectable abount at every level and I think he will in MLB as well.

[/QUOTE]

I like him better in right. I think his arm is too good for left field and he'd be a little wasted on that side of the outfield.

[/QUOTE]

It seems hes got the body type that would be atheletic, but big and bulky, thats why I say LF. That and Brentz has better range and a howitzer for an arm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: What's with the love for Iglesias?

The advantage of a strong arm in right is mainly due to the long throw to third base.  In Fenway , it is not a bad idea to have a good arm in left , with the wall - ball single or double situation. The throws to the plate are similar in left and right.  I could see a future left side of Iglesias at short , Middlebrooks at third and Bogaerts in left.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

That's a good point. Especially if Brentz can develop into the everyday RF, you could have an everyday outfield of Bogaerts, Bradley and Brentz and the days of runners going 1st to 3rd on spaghetti armed RS outfielders would be over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The advantage of a strong arm in right is mainly due to the long throw to third base.  In Fenway , it is not a bad idea to have a good arm in left , with the wall - ball single or double situation. The throws to the plate are similar in left and right.  I could see a future left side of Iglesias at short , Middlebrooks at third and Bogaerts in left.

[/QUOTE]

eaxctly. Bogy would be right behind his natural position of SS. Almost the same view of the field and having a strong arm in LF is needed to turn a wall-ball double into a single.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to BannedOnTheRun-1918's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's a good point. Especially if Brentz can develop into the everyday RF, you could have an everyday outfield of Bogaerts, Bradley and Brentz and the days of runners going 1st to 3rd on spaghetti armed RS outfielders would be over.

[/QUOTE]

Too assume that all 3 prospects will turn into productive MLB OF's is a little overly optimistic IMO

[/QUOTE]

That's my MO.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to BannedOnTheRun-1918's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too assume that all 3 prospects will turn into productive MLB OF's is a little overly optimistic IMO

[/QUOTE]

That's my MO.

[/QUOTE]

Do you also count on lottery tickets to take care of your retirement?

[/QUOTE]

Retirement? What's that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]

Bogearts is no career MLB SS. But Iglesias is. Desipte a decade of trying to employ a slugging SS who isn't a SS, an elite fielding SS who hits .190 will provide more season long net run prevention/produced indexes than a .300 plus OF/1B/3B fielder will provide. The incompetent Red Sox still don't know that.  

[/QUOTE]
    I'd be very surprised if he saves 10-12 runs a year over Ciriaco. Most of the "elite" plays that Iggy might make will be of little or no consequence to the outcome of a game. Ciriaco has proven he can hit in the majors, Iggy has proved he can't hit in the minors. Ciriaco has versatility, Iggy doesn't. Trade Iggy for a bat-boy....lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

He's had 83 PAs at the major league level. Is it really fair to conclude that he can't hit ML pitching based on that amount?

Give him a full year to see what he can do. I predict if he gets 300+ PAs, his average will be .260 or better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I'd like to see him bulk up a bit, could help him at the plate. He looks like a twig currently.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd like to see him bulk up a bit, could help him at the plate. He looks like a twig currently.

[/QUOTE]

I thought I read somewhere that that was exactly what he was doing this winter.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

Aviles was a big surprise in 2012, so much so that he was traded for dumspter trash.

I expect that if Iglesias hits about .180 and has an OBP of about .200, they should keep him as the starter for the entire season. Ciriaco is a nice UIF who can step in and pinch hit some and pinch run some and spell Iggy and Pedroia some.

[/QUOTE]

Every once in awhile you're right.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Pedey hit just .191 after his first 98 PAs. I suppose they should have traded him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's had 83 PAs at the major league level. Is it really fair to conclude that he can't hit ML pitching based on that amount?

Give him a full year to see what he can do. I predict if he gets 300+ PAs, his average will be .260 or better.

[/QUOTE]

its not fair to base that he cant hit MLB pitching from 83 ABs. BUT it is fair to conclude he cant hit MLB pitching because he never even learned how to hit AAA pitching..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

The LOVE is in the GLOVE!

This guy may be the best fielding SS that Boston has had in a long, long time.  I think that he is even better than Alex Gonzalez. His glove will not keep a first string position by itself, however.

He needs to hit better (obvious, I know), BUT getting him to hit better will only happen if the Red Sox decide to make him into an old time punch and judy hitter.  His large swing needs to be cut down to where he is almost playing pepper to get the ball up the middle in every at bat.  Drving the ball into the air is going to deliver poor results for this young guy

Expecting this guy to hit 10-12 homeruns, drive in 65-70, etc is not the way to go with him.
    He needs to concentrate on hitting the ball hard up the middle and become the modern version of a singles hitter.  It is time to forget homeruns and other power numbers to measure this kid to decide if he gets into the lineup.

If he can get a single a game, can learn to bunt for a hit every fourth game and draw a walk every other game he can have a OBP between .325 and .350, and he will hit .250-.265.   Those numbers are not earth shaking, but they are all better than what he showed this season and also enough to give him the starting SS job for a long time.  Figuring, also, that he is going to hit at the bottom of the order he will probably sacrifice once every second game which will be another way to make an offensive contribution.

Becoming a singles hitter he may end up with only 3-5 homeruns and maybe only 40 RBIs by the end of the year even with full time play, but his glove is warranted if he can hit .250.  He is also a good baserunner so he may score 80 runs if he can hit .260 and have the .325-.350 OBP that I predicted.

In the 50s and 60s there were lots of major league middle infielders who made a major league career out of hitting singles who could not even carry Iglesias's glove.  If he can get a hit a game (even if it is just a single) he will well earn his spot in the starting lineup.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]

Pedey hit just .191 after his first 98 PAs. I suppose they should have traded him.

[/QUOTE]

Pedey hit everywhere he played prior to coming to the Sox. Iggy doesn't have the history of being a hitter that Pedey had. Can't compare them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The LOVE is in the GLOVE!

This guy may be the best fielding SS that Boston has had in a long, long time.  I think that he is even better than Alex Gonzalez. His glove will not keep a first string position by itself, however.

He needs to hit better (obvious, I know), BUT getting him to hit better will only happen if the Red Sox decide to make him into an old time punch and judy hitter.  His large swing needs to be cut down to where he is almost playing pepper to get the ball up the middle in every at bat.  Drving the ball into the air is going to deliver poor results for this young guy

Expecting this guy to hit 10-12 homeruns, drive in 65-70, etc is not the way to go with him.
    He needs to concentrate on hitting the ball hard up the middle and become the modern version of a singles hitter.  It is time to forget homeruns and other power numbers to measure this kid to decide if he gets into the lineup.

If he can get a single a game, can learn to bunt for a hit every fourth game and draw a walk every other game he can have a OBP between .325 and .350, and he will hit .250-.265.   Those numbers are not earth shaking, but they are all better than what he showed this season and also enough to give him the starting SS job for a long time.  Figuring, also, that he is going to hit at the bottom of the order he will probably sacrifice once every second game which will be another way to make an offensive contribution.

Becoming a singles hitter he may end up with only 3-5 homeruns and maybe only 40 RBIs by the end of the year even with full time play, but his glove is warranted if he can hit .250.  He is also a good baserunner so he may score 80 runs if he can hit .260 and have the .325-.350 OBP that I predicted.

In the 50s and 60s there were lots of major league middle infielders who made a major league career out of hitting singles who could not even carry Iglesias's glove.  If he can get a hit a game (even if it is just a single) he will well earn his spot in the starting lineup.

[/QUOTE]

This is right on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The problem with Iggy isn't Iggy, it's many of the fans.

Too many fans/posters on this board have no patience. Some want to give him the job before he's ready and others want to give up on him too soon.

He's still just 22. Has had a couple of seasons in the minors where he missed time with injuries. Why the rush? Let him develop. He could spend two more years in the minors and still be just 24.

I know there's the feeling that the Sox might have held some players down in the minors too much, which might be true to a certain extent, but you don't make up for it by rushing a kid who's not ready.

A 24-year-old rookie isn't old, so I don't see the need with forcing him along. If he's ready next year, at least to the extent where he's a major plus in the field and not a killer blach hole in the lineup, then fine. If he's not, then go with Pedro C. or someone else.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too many fans/posters on this board have no patience. Some want to give him the job before he's ready and others want to give up on him too soon.

He's still just 22. Has had a couple of seasons in the minors where he missed time with injuries. Why the rush? Let him develop. He could spend two more years in the minors and still be just 24.

I know there's the feeling that the Sox might have held some players down in the minors too much, which might be true to a certain extent, but you don't make up for it by rushing a kid who's not ready.

A 24-year-old rookie isn't old, so I don't see the need with forcing him along. If he's ready next year, at least to the extent where he's a major plus in the field and not a killer blach hole in the lineup, then fine. If he's not, then go with Pedro C. or someone else.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent points, it makes a lot of sense to handle him that way. Good post.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

the Iglesias bubble may burst very soon.  If he doesn't magically learn to hit this winter, its another year in Pawtucket.  And, by that time, Boegarts may be ready.

[/QUOTE]

I completely agree, Iggy is a lot younger than Salty but you can only give a player so much time to fully develop their skills before deciding their future.  The time could be running out for both of them unless something drastically changes.  Why some fans have them both penciled into the starting lineup next season is beyond me.

We still need another reliable bat in my opinion before even starting one of them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And Lavarnway played a lot more in MLB than Iglesias did last season and hit .157, slugging .248. While that may indicate he still needs some improvement, I don't hear a lot of people writing him off forever. Neither would I assume just based on the last few weeks of last season that Iggy will only ever be a .100 hitter.

Give him a chance to earn the SS job in spring training (competing against Ciriaco and some solid veteran brought in by free agency or trade); if he doesn't look ready, send him back to the minors for more work. Like Roy said, at his age that would hardly be the end of the world. His glove looks so special that I'm more than willing to be patient for the bat to come around.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i think the urge to rush him comes from the revolving door of SSs we've employed and the need for some stability in the position. i am all for parking him in AAA until he learns how to hit there and becomes more seasoned. but at the same time we do not have anyone else in the system or on the market who would give us a clear upgrade overall so might as well let him start and see how magical that glove really is

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i think the urge to rush him comes from the revolving door of SSs we've employed and the need for some stability in the position. i am all for parking him in AAA until he learns how to hit there and becomes more seasoned. but at the same time we do not have anyone else in the system or on the market who would give us a clear upgrade overall so might as well let him start and see how magical that glove really is

[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty much my stance on Iggy, he simply isn't ready and doesn't need to be pushed into our lineup right away.  I also have my doubts on whether Bogy is a SS when he hits the bigs.

Sections
Shortcuts