What's with the love for Iglesias?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: What's with the love for Iglesias?

You have to give him a full season at SS and live with the results. Time to be bold.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You have to give him a full season at SS and live with the results. Time to be bold.

[/QUOTE]

If we don't do it with Lav, why would we give Iggy the opportunity?  These are two critical positions for the teams future.  I do believe Iggy could grow offensively much like Ozzie Smith but this team isn't talented enough to take on more than one "dead bat" in the starting lineup if we truly want to be a contender.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pedey hit just .191 after his first 98 PAs. I suppose they should have traded him.

[/QUOTE]

And Lavarnway played a lot more in MLB than Iglesias did last season and hit .157, slugging .248. While that may indicate he still needs some improvement, I don't hear a lot of people writing him off forever. Neither would I assume just based on the last few weeks of last season that Iggy will only ever be a .100 hitter.

Give him a chance to earn the SS job in spring training (competing against Ciriaco and some solid veteran brought in by free agency or trade); if he doesn't look ready, send him back to the minors for more work. Like Roy said, at his age that would hardly be the end of the world. His glove looks so special that I'm more than willing to be patient for the bat to come around.

[/QUOTE]
    Again, the difference between Pedroia and Lavarnway compared to Iggy is clear. Both Pedey and Lav have a history of being hitters wherever they played. Iglesias doesn't.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pedey hit just .191 after his first 98 PAs. I suppose they should have traded him.

[/QUOTE]

And Lavarnway played a lot more in MLB than Iglesias did last season and hit .157, slugging .248. While that may indicate he still needs some improvement, I don't hear a lot of people writing him off forever. Neither would I assume just based on the last few weeks of last season that Iggy will only ever be a .100 hitter.

Give him a chance to earn the SS job in spring training (competing against Ciriaco and some solid veteran brought in by free agency or trade); if he doesn't look ready, send him back to the minors for more work. Like Roy said, at his age that would hardly be the end of the world. His glove looks so special that I'm more than willing to be patient for the bat to come around.

[/QUOTE]
    Again, the difference between Pedroia and Lavarnway compared to Iggy is clear. Both Pedey and Lav have a history of being hitters wherever they played. Iglesias doesn't.

[/QUOTE]

Point taken, but Iglesias' minor league numbers (.264 BA/.313 OBP career, .266 BA/.318 OBP at Pawtucket last year), while hardly stellar, would at least seem to indicate that there is some hope. If he can produce that at the major league level, I think most of us would consider it more than passable given his defensive prowess. So my point is really, don't write him off based on the .100 average in a few dozen MLB at-bats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The comparisons to Ozzie Smith are pretty accurate as Ozzie didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball his first five seasons,he was primarily a defensive SS who helped his team win by playing the highest brand of SS. He hit .220 for the early years minus a couple of years where he hit .240 as for power in his first five seasons he hit 5 or 6 homers total. One thing is for sure preventing the little grounder through the hole stops a lot of rallies and if Iglesias can play top tier defense then I say don't worry about what he hits and let him win games with his glove.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The comparisons to Ozzie Smith are pretty accurate as Ozzie didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball his first five seasons,he was primarily a defensive SS who helped his team win by playing the highest brand of SS. He hit .220 for the early years minus a couple of years where he hit .240 as for power in his first five seasons he hit 5 or 6 homers total. One thing is for sure preventing the little grounder through the hole stops a lot of rallies and if Iglesias can play top tier defense then I say don't worry about what he hits and let him win games with his glove.

[/QUOTE]

It's my opinion that Ciriaco's play, plus his offensive abilities will more than offset Iggy's glove. The number of fielding plays that Iggy makes that Ciriaco doesn't make will be minimal, certainly not enough to overcome Iggy's offensive limitations.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's my opinion that Ciriaco's play, plus his offensive abilities will more than offset Iggy's glove. The number of fielding plays that Iggy makes that Ciriaco doesn't make will be minimal, certainly not enough to overcome Iggy's offensive limitations.

[/QUOTE]

gonna have to disagree w/ you there. the difference in defense between iggy and ciriaco is greater than the difference in offense between the 2. IMO

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe another difference betweem Pedey, Lavarnway and Iggy is that Both Pedroia and Lavarnway were not expected to bat as well as they did prior to joining the major league roster. With Iggy, the hope is he will perform better than he could in the minor leagues. That doesn't happen often.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Point taken, but Iglesias' minor league numbers (.264 BA/.313 OBP career, .266 BA/.318 OBP at Pawtucket last year), while hardly stellar, would at least seem to indicate that there is some hope. If he can produce that at the major league level, I think most of us would consider it more than passable given his defensive prowess. So my point is really, don't write him off based on the .100 average in a few dozen MLB at-bats.

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Iggy can bat .260-.265 then he might be worth playing time.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

gonna have to disagree w/ you there. the difference in defense between iggy and ciriaco is greater than the difference in offense between the 2. IMO

[/QUOTE]

Iggy is a very good defender but Ciriaco isn't that bad either.  Ciriaco earned the job that Iggy needs to take away, not be handed because of his defense.  Have you looked at our teams OBP lately?  We don't need Iggy or Salty in our lineup unless they learn how to get OB more often, or we find more offense than we presently have.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The difference between Ciriaco and Iggy is night and day. As for giving Iggy the job I'm sure he'll have to earn it. Though it has been stated by many in the Sox organization that it is his job to lose. His batting average is a moot point becuase his defense makes him the equivilant of a .320 hitter on defense. So unless he dips way below the Mendoza line chances are over time he will be a decent hitter in what should be a above average lineup.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

His batting average is a moot point becuase his defense makes him the equivilant of a .320 hitter on defense.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry but thats one of the dumbest statements ever made.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

His batting average is a moot point becuase his defense makes him the equivilant of a .320 hitter on defense.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry but thats one of the dumbest statements ever made.

[/QUOTE]

no its not. let me dig up some old posts in a thread moon and i debated on.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/a-closer-look-at-iggys-2012-mlb-season/100/6397922?page=8

lots of good stuff in that thread

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Iggy is a very good defender but Ciriaco isn't that bad either.  Ciriaco earned the job that Iggy needs to take away, not be handed because of his defense.  Have you looked at our teams OBP lately?  We don't need Iggy or Salty in our lineup unless they learn how to get OB more often, or we find more offense than we presently have.

[/QUOTE]

And Pedro (I never saw a ball in the dirt I didn't swing at) Ciriaco is going to help the team OBP? I mean I like Ciriaco a lot, he plays with a lot of heart, which this team clearly needs more of, but to think he's going to sustain an OBP much north of .300 given his (lack of) plate discipline is a bit optimistic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Strangeglove's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The guy batted 105 last year with one homerun. 105!! What's his offensie upside? - 175 with a couple of doubles?  Even Ozzie Smith wouldn't make the majors with hitting like that. And to Jose: I knew Ozzie Smith, and you sir, are no Ozzie Smith. - To the minors with ya I say!

Me, I likes Pedro C. Fast, decent fielder, seems to hit for average with a little pop. shouldn't he be our opening day SS??

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox have 2 potential players to play SS. Iggy and Bogearts, so far it looks like Bogearts is conditioning to be a 3B in triple A. Then there will be Ciriaco backing up 3B SS and 2B. The depth for next seaon look like 3B Middlebrooks/Ciriaco, SS Iggy/Ciriaco, 2B Ped/Ciriaco. The Sox best option via FA is to look at veteran who can play 3B/1B who can be sign to one year deal, who is willing to play back up, pinch hiiting, extrainning games and start the odd game. Ciriaco can stcik to playing in mid infield.

Iggy, Middlebrooks and Ciriaco can start next season so far to me the best option. Later in the seaon will tell the coaching staff, "where the piano willing need it's fine tuning '. " You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish", re - REO Speedwagon album title name.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And Pedro (I never saw a ball in the dirt I didn't swing at) Ciriaco is going to help the team OBP? I mean I like Ciriaco a lot, he plays with a lot of heart, which this team clearly needs more of, but to think he's going to sustain an OBP much north of .300 given his (lack of) plate discipline is a bit optimistic.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but only time will tell and Iggy is still young so there is no need to rush him into a lineup that features Salty and a lot of question marks.  If Salty gets traded and we land another big bat, only then would I consider another horrible OBP in the starting lineup otherwise this team may never improve. 

I wouldn't mind Iggy getting playing time for defensive purposes late in close games but thats about it at the moment.  If he has a great spring thats a different story.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but only time will tell and Iggy is still young so there is no need to rush him into a lineup that features Salty and a lot of question marks.  If Salty gets traded and we land another big bat, only then would I consider another horrible OBP in the starting lineup otherwise this team may never improve. 

I wouldn't mind Iggy getting playing time for defensive purposes late in close games but thats about it at the moment.  If he has a great spring thats a different story.

[/QUOTE]

How does "putting him in for defensive purposes late in close games" help his development?  He either wins the starting job in spring training (as of right now, he will be given every opportunity) or he plays every day in Pawtucket. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think we'll wind up with one either way. Ciriaco was really falling back to earth in the second half last year, and it became especially pronounced as he saw more playing time. I think over the course of the entire season Ciriaco and Iglesias would put up very similar offensive numbers. I'm not saying start Iggy now, especially since he's still very young, but Ciriaco isn't going to help the team OBP much, especially as the full season starter at SS. On the other hand, how much of a boost would it give a guy like Lester to see a sure base hit up the middle turned into a ground out or gidp?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think we'll wind up with one either way. Ciriaco was really falling back to earth in the second half last year, and it became especially pronounced as he saw more playing time. I think over the course of the entire season Ciriaco and Iglesias would put up very similar offensive numbers. I'm not saying start Iggy now, especially since he's still very young, but Ciriaco isn't going to help the team OBP much, especially as the full season starter at SS.

[/QUOTE]

Good points.  Ciriaco has an OBP of .299 in the minors, while Iglesias has an OBP of .313, and Ciriaco has a much bigger sample size.  Minor League stats aren't always a good indicator of how well a player will hit in the Majors, but as you mentioned, Ciriaco came back to earth very quickly after teams made the adjustment.  Ciriaco will be given every oportunity to be the utility infielder, but I don't see the Sox entering next season with him as the starting short stop. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I ask, why all the hate for Iglesias?

.252 in AAA is not horrible for a SS.

He's a whizz on D.

Ease up on the kid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

How does "putting him in for defensive purposes late in close games" help his development?  He either wins the starting job in spring training (as of right now, he will be given every opportunity) or he plays every day in Pawtucket. 

[/QUOTE]

Agree. Iggy needs plate appearances. He needs to play every day.

As for Bogarts, it will be interesting to see what happens to him if he develops as expected. He could be like Rico -- start as a SS then eventually move to 3B; he could be like Cal Ripken -- a big SS who was expected to move to 3B but winds as a SS for the bulk of his career; he could be like Yaz -- a player who starts out as an IF then is moved to LF; or he could wind up as a 3B from the start and Middlebrooks could be like Jim Thome, a guy who plays 3B for a year or two them move to 1B.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think we'll wind up with one either way. Ciriaco was really falling back to earth in the second half last year, and it became especially pronounced as he saw more playing time. I think over the course of the entire season Ciriaco and Iglesias would put up very similar offensive numbers. I'm not saying start Iggy now, especially since he's still very young, but Ciriaco isn't going to help the team OBP much, especially as the full season starter at SS. On the other hand, how much of a boost would it give a guy like Lester to see a sure base hit up the middle turned into a ground out or gidp?

[/QUOTE]

Your point is well taken but even if Iggy wins a Gold glove I still don't think he is the answer just yet.  I wouldn't be surprised to see another veteran brought in to help our depth next season with only Iggy, or Ciriaco on the roster.  ST could make all the difference in the world but as we stand right now it's still one of our weaker positions. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You have to watch him play. The guy is a sensational shortstop.  Given a chance , he has improved his hitting at every level. 

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't have much more time. One more year, thats it. This is a good year for him to prove he can hit the baseball because the team is in rebuilding mode. I would not mind him being packaged with Ellsbury and Salty for some good pitching.

[/QUOTE]

So he either produces in his rookie year, or he's gone?

Laughable.

How often do you people need to be proven wrong on prospects before you learn that not everybody has a good rookie year?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Your point is well taken but even if Iggy wins a Gold glove I still don't think he is the answer just yet.  I wouldn't be surprised to see another veteran brought in to help our depth next season with only Iggy, or Ciriaco on the roster.  ST could make all the difference in the world but as we stand right now it's still one of our weaker offensive positions. 

[/QUOTE]

SS as a whole will be a pretty solid position overall if we have GG defense there. Anything he does offensively is a bonus

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's like this for basically every prospect.  There were a fair amount of posters that wanted to get rid of

• Youkilis
    • Pedroia
    • Ellsbury
    • Reddick
    • Buchholz

Sections
Shortcuts