What's with the love for Iglesias?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: What's with the love for Iglesias?

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pedey hit just .191 after his first 98 PAs. I suppose they should have traded him.

[/QUOTE]

It's like this for basically every prospect.  There were a fair amount of posters that wanted to get rid of

• Youkilis
    • Pedroia
    • Ellsbury
    • Reddick
    • Buchholz

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Your point is well taken but even if Iggy wins a Gold glove I still don't think he is the answer just yet.  I wouldn't be surprised to see another veteran brought in to help our depth next season with only Iggy, or Ciriaco on the roster.  ST could make all the difference in the world but as we stand right now it's still one of our weaker offensive positions. 

[/QUOTE]

SS as a whole will be a pretty solid position overall if we have GG defense there. Anything he does offensively is a bonus

[/QUOTE]

Thats what some say about Salty and his improved defense even though his poor offense and overall game calling skills helped attribute to such a lousy team OBP/record.  If you really believe Iggy's defense can help turn things around who am I to argue.

We have enough "one dimensional" type players already.  If anything he just gives us more of the same in my opinion. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Your point is well taken but even if Iggy wins a Gold glove I still don't think he is the answer just yet.  I wouldn't be surprised to see another veteran brought in to help our depth next season with only Iggy, or Ciriaco on the roster.  ST could make all the difference in the world but as we stand right now it's still one of our weaker offensive positions. 

[/QUOTE]

SS as a whole will be a pretty solid position overall if we have GG defense there. Anything he does offensively is a bonus

[/QUOTE]

Thats what some say about Salty and his improved defense even though his offense is just a SLG percentage which attribute to such a lousy team OBP/record.  If you really believe Iggy's defense can help turn things around who am I to argue.

We have enough "one dimensional" type players already.  If anything he just gives us more of the same in my opinion. 

[/QUOTE]

This team needs a good defensive SS, because Middlebrooks is obviously still developing and isn't exactly Adrian Beltre defensively.  Strong defense up the middle is crucial to this team because as of right now, they are sacrificing defense for offense in left, 3rd and first. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's had 83 PAs at the major league level. Is it really fair to conclude that he can't hit ML pitching based on that amount?

Give him a full year to see what he can do. I predict if he gets 300+ PAs, his average will be .260 or better.

[/QUOTE]

its not fair to base that he cant hit MLB pitching from 83 ABs. BUT it is fair to conclude he cant hit MLB pitching because he never even learned how to hit AAA pitching..

[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.  He hit fine in AAA.  He had a .554 OPS in AAA at age 21, and .624 last year.  His K/W was 104/48 overall.  .260 is optimistic, but if we got .220 and GG defense for minimum wage, I'd lock him in right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats what some say about Salty and his improved defense even though his offense is just a SLG percentage which attribute to such a lousy team OBP/record.  If you really believe Iggy's defense can help turn things around who am I to argue. 

[/QUOTE]

This team needs a good defensive SS, because Middlebrooks is obviously still developing and isn't exactly Adrian Beltre defensively.  Strong defense up the middle is crucial to this team because as of right now, they are sacrificing defense for offense in left, 3rd and first. 

[/QUOTE]

I really hope we all get the opportunity to see how big of an impact Iggy's defense has compared to adding another weak bat to the lineup.  Thank the lord we have a few back ups to cover the weaknesses of our other back ups or we would really be in trouble :) 

Yes, defense up the middle is important but getting OB, scoring runs and strong pitching wins more games than a few good plays.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I really hope we all get the opportunity to see how big of an impact Iggy's defense has compared to adding another weak bat to the lineup.  Thank the lord we have a few back ups for our back ups or we would really be in trouble :) 

Yes, defense up the middle is important but getting OB, scoring runs and strong pitching wins more games than a few good plays.

[/QUOTE]

Good points.  The Giants won it all this year with the strong defensive up the middle approach and good pitching obviously.  The Sox finished 5th in the American League in runs scored last year despite all of the injuries and the fact that they averaged only 3 runs per game over the last 32 with the "AAA" lineup they had out there.  With the additions they've already made, and "reasonable" health next year, scoring runs should not be an issue.  There are enough people in the Sox organization who think he'll hit "enough" next year to justify his defense, and they would be comfortable going into the season with him as the starting shortstop.  That said, if they find a better solution for the position, they'll obviously consider it. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I really hope we all get the opportunity to see how big of an impact Iggy's defense has compared to adding another weak bat to the lineup.  Thank the lord we have a few back ups for our back ups or we would really be in trouble :) 

[/QUOTE]

Good points.  The Giants won it all this year with the strong defensive up the middle approach and good pitching obviously.  The Sox finished 5th in the American League in runs scored last year despite all of the injuries and the fact that they averaged only 3 runs per game over the last 32 with the "AAA" lineup they had out there.  With the additions they've already made, and "reasonable" health next year, scoring runs should not be an issue.  There are enough people in the Sox organization who think he'll hit "enough" next year to justify his defense, and they would be comfortable going into the season with him as the starting shortstop.  That said, if they find a better solution for the position, they'll obviously consider it. 

[/QUOTE]

Lets hope we can make a few more good moves and improve our pitching because we really have yet to improve much anywhere over last years team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The comparisons to Ozzie Smith are pretty accurate as Ozzie didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball his first five seasons,he was primarily a defensive SS who helped his team win by playing the highest brand of SS. He hit .220 for the early years minus a couple of years where he hit .240 as for power in his first five seasons he hit 5 or 6 homers total. One thing is for sure preventing the little grounder through the hole stops a lot of rallies and if Iglesias can play top tier defense then I say don't worry about what he hits and let him win games with his glove.

[/QUOTE]

It's my opinion that Ciriaco's play, plus his offensive abilities will more than offset Iggy's glove. The number of fielding plays that Iggy makes that Ciriaco doesn't make will be minimal, certainly not enough to overcome Iggy's offensive limitations.

[/QUOTE]

gonna have to disagree w/ you there. the difference in defense between iggy and ciriaco is greater than the difference in offense between the 2. IMO

[/QUOTE]

Iggy is a very good defender but Ciriaco isn't that bad either.  Ciriaco earned the job that Iggy needs to take away, not be handed because of his defense.  Have you looked at our teams OBP lately?  We don't need Iggy or Salty in our lineup unless they learn how to get OB more often, or we find more offense than we presently have.

[/QUOTE]
    I agree completely. It should be Ciriaco's job.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The comparisons to Ozzie Smith are pretty accurate as Ozzie didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball his first five seasons,he was primarily a defensive SS who helped his team win by playing the highest brand of SS. He hit .220 for the early years minus a couple of years where he hit .240 as for power in his first five seasons he hit 5 or 6 homers total. One thing is for sure preventing the little grounder through the hole stops a lot of rallies and if Iglesias can play top tier defense then I say don't worry about what he hits and let him win games with his glove.

[/QUOTE]

It's my opinion that Ciriaco's play, plus his offensive abilities will more than offset Iggy's glove. The number of fielding plays that Iggy makes that Ciriaco doesn't make will be minimal, certainly not enough to overcome Iggy's offensive limitations.

[/QUOTE]

gonna have to disagree w/ you there. the difference in defense between iggy and ciriaco is greater than the difference in offense between the 2. IMO

[/QUOTE]

Iggy is a very good defender but Ciriaco isn't that bad either.  Ciriaco earned the job that Iggy needs to take away, not be handed because of his defense.  Have you looked at our teams OBP lately?  We don't need Iggy or Salty in our lineup unless they learn how to get OB more often, or we find more offense than we presently have.

[/QUOTE]
    I agree completely. It should be Ciriaco's job.

[/QUOTE]

And you also thought Bobby V would be a better manager than TF.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to louisthelipp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ciriacco has been a fixture in the minors, spurned by Pittsburg, had a few good  months ( splash in the pan) this past season and a terrible Sept. I'll stick with Iglesias and consider Ciriacco for the bench. No real need to debate it into the ground - watch spring training. Put some more logs onto the fire and watch reruns of Matlock.

[/QUOTE]

pike

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

It's amazing to me that the fact that Iglesias can't hit, but is a good SS is fine with some of the posters here. Varitek was one of the best catchers in baseball. He knew the pitchers as well as the batters better than anyone, and he was the catcher for four no-hitters. The fact that he wasn't hitting that well at the plate seemed to be the reason the Sox weren't doing well, and it was unforgivable and couldn't possibly be made up elsewhere. You gotta laugh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

Only player in organization I see as the starting ss at some point is Marrero. Boegarts will play a corner. Iglesias is most overmatched hitter i have ever seen. Its hard to play with automatic out in al east.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's amazing to me that the fact that Iglesias can't hit, but is a good SS is fine with some of the posters here. Varitek was one of the best catchers in baseball. He knew the pitchers as well as the batters better than anyone, and he was the catcher for four no-hitters. The fact that he wasn't hitting that well at the plate seemed to be the reason the Sox weren't doing well, and it was unforgivable and couldn't possibly be made up elsewhere. You gotta laugh.

[/QUOTE]

Really? Man what team did you watch? Our pitchers were terrible August/September. The team was devoid of leadership. Oh and he could not throw anyone out ... let alone hit.