What's with the Sox hitting?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

What's with the Sox hitting?

The simple answer is:  probably nothing or it's too early to tell. 

But a discussion board cannot thrive without controversy, so herewith some contrarian views--

1. No Ellsbury.  Boras was right, he is an franchise player and has already energized the Yankees offense.  He's so good he's already batting 3d. 

2.  It's all on Nava.  Last year was a false positive because the guy really can't hit.

3.  Sox need Victorino and Middlebrooks back in the lineup ASAP.  Both are righthanded hitters with adequate to good power to tatto the green monster.

4. It's all on Cherington for not turning over the keys to the farm system in return for Stanton (or Upton or Trout or whoever). 

5. Pierzynski is a bigger problem than we thought.  He not only won't take pitches, his attitude as infected the team chemistry with some kind of Polish poison. 

6. Ding, ding, ding, ding!  That means not enough dingers.  Yea, verily, somewhere it is written you can't score without hitting home runs. 

7.  No speed.  See Nava again, but also Ortiz, Pierzynski, Napoli, Carp, Gomes, Ross, etc.  Yankees, now with Ellsbury, have speed to burn. 

8.  One small qualifier on items 1 and 7 above:  the Yankees offense is in fact just as bad as ours.  In 10 games they have scored 37 runs to our 36. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: What's with the Sox hitting?

The Middlebrooks and Victorino injuries, in and of themselves enough to crush the offense, is exacerbated by the Nava-swoon.  They basically have no choice but to play Nava almost every night now whether he is hitting or not.  And, with Middlebrooks out, someone (Nava) is needed to provide a little power.  Having blackholes at 2 spots in the order (Nava, Herrera) is deadly to any offense.  

I think the offense will perk up with the return of Vic.  Then we can test run this Victorino/Bradley/Sizemore OF.  That will be an instant spark and pressure, which will in turn turn the big bats loose.  

Also, Nava will come around.  

A.J. is A.J.  But I do wish he would just take a freaking pitch once in a blue moon.  Just one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

a couple W's in the boogie down will help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But a discussion board cannot thrive without controversy, so herewith some contrarian views--

1. No Ellsbury.  Boras was right, he is an franchise player and has already energized the Yankees offense.  He's so good he's already batting 3d. 

2.  It's all on Nava.  Last year was a false positive because the guy really can't hit.

3.  Sox need Victorino and Middlebrooks back in the lineup ASAP.  Both are righthanded hitters with adequate to good power to tatto the green monster.

4. It's all on Cherington for not turning over the keys to the farm system in return for Stanton (or Upton or Trout or whoever). 

5. Pierzynski is a bigger problem than we thought.  He not only won't take pitches, his attitude as infected the team chemistry with some kind of Polish poison. 

6. Ding, ding, ding, ding!  That means not enough dingers.  Yea, verily, somewhere it is written you can't score without hitting home runs. 

7.  No speed.  See Nava again, but also Ortiz, Pierzynski, Napoli, Carp, Gomes, Ross, etc.  Yankees, now with Ellsbury, have speed to burn. 

8.  One small qualifier on items 1 and 7 above:  the Yankees offense is in fact just as bad as ours.  In 10 games they have scored 37 runs to our 36. 

[/QUOTE]
    I don't care if Sox don't score any runs as long as they win. Quote of the day !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I am sure the team will start hitting. Just hope that when the hitting starts, the pitching doesn't drop off. That is how you get into a losing pattern. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

A year older/slower !!   As DAD would say.........  "SON, those double plays will kill a rally evry time" !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A year older/slower !!   As DAD would say.........  "SON, those double plays will kill a rally evry time" !!!

[/QUOTE]

Bill, I officially hate you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Why SPACEMAN, can't let Baseball TRUTH get in the way........  And I thought that you had a good grasp of the game !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

When you bank on certain players who either overachieved like Nava last season to repeat it's always wishful thinking along with someone like Gomes who just happened to hit lefties well before coming to Boston  was had seen less competition on a regular basis.  Then you bank on an injury prone 3B like Middy to finally have a breakout season even though chances are also slim and this is what you get.  Victorino being out has also unmasked a problem we already had which is why if JBJ plays well he should stay in the lineup with someone being traded.

We have weak defenders at certain positions and others like Bogy trying to play one that may have been pushed on him after the Iggy trade.  This season can turn around, or go south in a heartbeat without the right moves to correct our lineup.

The upside is, nobody in our division is dazzling anyone at the moment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

See, Bill? And it's me that you accuse of hating you. I don't. I simply consider you the #1 hands down most obnoxious troll on the forum today. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

It seems like every year we go through a spell where the offense just isn't getting it done...it's incredibly frustrating, and people freak out every time. This year it's happened at the very beginning of the season, so people are freaking out even more.

The bats will come around. When your 2-3-4 is Pedey, Papi, and Napoli, you are going to score runs. Bogaerts looks great. Bradley looks great. Likewise Sizemore. Losing Victorino and Middlebrooks has hurt us, but hopefully we're back at full strength soon.

Still way too early to be worried. And if there's a need for a bat come July, Ben will have all the peices he needs to make a splash if he's so inclined.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll go with the simple answer here and wait, at least through May, and see.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

See, Bill? And it's me that you accuse of hating you. I don't. I simply consider you the #1 hands down most obnoxious troll on the forum today. 

[/QUOTE]  ya know, I don't mind being called obnoxious as I call my baseball as I see it, but a TROLL is just not what B-806 is all about !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  ya know, I don't mind being called obnoxious as I call my baseball as I see it, but a TROLL is just not what B-806 is all about !!!

[/QUOTE]

You call it as you see it?

So do I.

Dat's faiah.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Shows me how magical 2013 really was. From the rally walk-offs to the clutch, clutch, clutch hitting of so many different guys in the lineup. Never the same guy. The pitching is going to be good this year, so that will take care of the deficiency in offense at some point. However, they need to add a real hitter and trade for someone without it hurting the pitching staff. Letting Salty go and Ellsbury is a lot to let go from a WS winning team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bill,

Do you ever actually read the OP or even look up any stats? 

If you did, you would know that the Yankees currently lead the AL in stolen bases and have half as many GIDP's--their 8 vs. our 17--as the Sox.  But they also have the same anemic offense we do.   Both teams have played ten games and the Yankees have scored one more run, 37, than the Sox, 36. 

Last year the Sox grounded into the fourth most double plays in the AL, but led the league in runs scored.   The Tigers finished second in the AL in GIDP and also finished second in runs scored.

GIDP's are the pitchers best friend and can definitely put a dent in a rally, but they are not the whole story.  As I said on another thread, Bill James has the Sox convinced that bunting is a bad offensive strategy, and guess what?  The Sox normally, usually have a pretty good offense despite not bunting very often. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Why SPACEMAN, can't let Baseball TRUTH get in the way........  And I thought that you had a good grasp of the game !!

[/QUOTE]

I have a moderate grasp of the game of baseball;  but absolutely zero grasp of how to behave online with a sneaky troll like yourself.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Fans are ready to take the bridge because the Sox are 4-6 after 10 games? Last year, they were 6-4. In the  AL East, no team is over .500. League-wide, four teams are at .500,  four are a few games over, and seven are a game or two under. There isn't a hot team in the bunch and it's early April to boot. What's to worry? With a few exceptions, the Sox pitching is as good as advertised and I'm confident the hitting will come around soon. Sit back and enjoy!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

really???  please please please type something that gets you banned for good this time.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In the interest of discussion:

1. Ellsbury is a dynamic leadoff hitter, but he’s not irreplaceable. In the long run, the Sox will be OK. And he’s batting third out of necessity, not by design. And with the short porch in RF, he’ll likely hit about 15 or so homers, which is fine for a No. 3 hitter, especially if he’s hitting doubles and has a good average and OBP.

2. Nava might not be what he was last year, but I don’t think he’s as bad as he is right now. The truth is in the middle. Having said that, I’m all for a Sizemore-Bradley-Victorino OF.

3. Agree. I still believe Middlebrooks with end up with excellent numbers and be a key part of the order. And Victorino just needs to be solid like last year.

4. Disagree. While he might be a good bat to have in the middle of the order, I think the cost might not be worth it in the long run.

5. Can’t see where hit attitude as affected anything. The Sox knew he was a free-swinger, and the Sox that’s not a bad thing to have with one or two players in the order. He doesn’t have any XBH yet but he is batting .321.

6. Home runs are often down in April. So after 10 games, it’s hardly an issue to worry about yet.

7. All those players you mentioned were on the team last year, except for A.J., and Salty was hardly a burner. Yes, the Sox lost Ellsbury. But Bradley and Sizemore run well, and if they’re in with Victorino when he comes back, the lineup will have enough speed. No lineup is fast one through nine. You need a balance of speed and power, which the Sox should have when healthy.

8. Beyond that, it’s just 10 games.

It’s too early to worry about anything. If the Sox scuffle along and finish .500 in April, that will be fine. Look at last year. After a great April, the Sox were 15-15 in May. In all those 95-plus win seasons under Francona, the Sox always had one month around .500. So one .500 month won’t kill you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too bad you don't know any Baseball Truths.

Here's one:

Speed has nothing to do with GIDP. I don't care how fast year are. If you hit a routine grounder with a guy on first base, unless your the Flash, it's going to be a double play.

If you had the slightest grasp of the game, you'd know this.

25. This post has been removed.