What's wrong with Justin Upton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: What's wrong with Justin Upton?

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Full disclosure up front: I do not want Justin Upton to have a great season.  I have nothing against him personally.  But as anyone who follows this forum regularly knows, he is one of the players that certain posters have wanted the Red Sox to pursue for the last year or two.  And from the looks of it, the Red Sox probably could have acquired him.  I have had some doubts about him but I also recognize his potential to be a big bat.

Upton got off to a smoking hot start with the Braves and I thought, here we go, he's going to be the MVP, we're going to regret not trading for him and we're going to hear about from the people who wanted him.

In April Upton's line was 298/402/734 (1.136 OPS) with 12 HR and 19 RBI.

But in May his line was 211/327/326 (.654 OPS) with 2 HR and 10 RBI.

In his last 12 games his line is 143/208/163 (.371 OPS) with 0 HR and 1 RBI, and 21 strikeouts.

I also find it a little concerning that with 14 HR he only has 29 RBI.  With the bases empty he's hitting 289/390/620.  With men on base he's hitting 181/307/347.

He certainly might turn it around of course. 

Hf,

Juston has always had a history of being been a streaky hitter.  He also has much less success against RHP and an average glove but his OBP and OPS usually make up for it.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The smart thing was to not sign him and wait until he hits his prime years. He will be a FA after 2015, about the time this team should be ready to be a perennial contender. Upton will be 28yrs old and there will be no doubt who he is as a player. Hes been inconsistent. Great potential though. Also he should be a bit more mature by then.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The smart thing was to not sign him and wait until he hits his prime years. He will be a FA after 2015, about the time this team should be ready to be a perennial contender. Upton will be 28yrs old and there will be no doubt who he is as a player. Hes been inconsistent. Great potential though. Also he should be a bit more mature by then.

I agree totally agree southpaw

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Unsurprisingly he was 3 for 4 today with a walk.  That's how these things usually work.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Uptons K-rate this year is really ugly compared to his numbers the last few years. Call it the Krate Upton factor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Wonder if its PEDs that Upton is not using anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

First off: jose tavares... he's not with the Red Sox.

That said, his lifetime avg. is .276, RBI avg. is 81, never hit more than 88. He's hit 31 HRs once, 26 once, other than that the most he's hit is seventeen. I never understood why some on this board were so hot to over pay a guy who seems to me to be a very average ball player.

Average ballplayers do not hit 31HRs once.

And keep in mind, the guy is one year older than Will Middlebrooks and the same age as Ryan Lavarnway, neither of whom have done any of the things you mention as "average" ballplayer accomplishments.

O.K. He's hit 31 homers once. That stat alone doesn't say much.  What else has he done that you consider above average?

I said nothing about Middlebrooks or Lavarnway. What do they have to do with the conversation? The only comparison that I made was to Ellsbury and that was salary wise.

Re-read the part where I discuss Upton's age.

If you think players like Middlebrooks are the future ,  you do so because of his age.  Upton is one year older.  30year old Ellsbury is irrelevsnt when discussing Upton...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

If we had Upton we'd be undefeated.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Unsurprisingly he was 3 for 4 today with a walk.  That's how these things usually work.

I know. I saw that while watching the game last night and had to laugh. It figures.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id rather have him from 28-32. For me, hes been to inconsistent from yer to year is he just under an 800OPS RF'er or is he a 900OPS one. Id be willing to bet Upton is better and more consistent from 2015-2018 AND without having to give up any prospects for, just money.

Pitchers prime is at J.ups age right now and they usually peak at about 30, Mostly power pitchers and not so much the Cliff Less of the world. Guys like Beckett and Lester will have to reinvent themselves if they wish to have a longer MLB shelf life.

Hitters come into full maturity after 26. Upton started earlier, but I dont think hes matured yet. We all have different views, but Im in on J.up, if he becomes more consistent when hes 28. If I dont get him, no big deal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

First off: jose tavares... he's not with the Red Sox.

That said, his lifetime avg. is .276, RBI avg. is 81, never hit more than 88. He's hit 31 HRs once, 26 once, other than that the most he's hit is seventeen. I never understood why some on this board were so hot to over pay a guy who seems to me to be a very average ball player.

Average ballplayers do not hit 31HRs once.

And keep in mind, the guy is one year older than Will Middlebrooks and the same age as Ryan Lavarnway, neither of whom have done any of the things you mention as "average" ballplayer accomplishments.

O.K. He's hit 31 homers once. That stat alone doesn't say much.  What else has he done that you consider above average?

I said nothing about Middlebrooks or Lavarnway. What do they have to do with the conversation? The only comparison that I made was to Ellsbury and that was salary wise.

Re-read the part where I discuss Upton's age.

If you think players like Middlebrooks are the future ,  you do so because of his age.  Upton is one year older.  30year old Ellsbury is irrelevsnt when discussing Upton...

Middlebrooks again? ...[oigh]... This is your fixation here, not mine. Other than you, no one is comparing Middlebrooks ( an infielder not even half way through his second full year) or Lavarnway (an up and down catcher who may or may not make it at the ML level with the Sox) to a veteran outfielder. You seem to be attempting to paint me into a corner that I never occupied to begin with.

Also, Ellsbury is relevant to the conversation. I am well aware of the difference in ages between Upton and Ellsbury. My comparison was not about years on the planet but years of major league service. That, more than age alone, is arguably a somewhat more significant consideration in detirmining player's relative contract value.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Justin is still stuck on 29 RBI.  His last RBI was back on May 17.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

What's wrong with Bradley? Nothing.

With J. Upton, the Red Sox would have at at least another 2 wins v. LP starters. He was the next best fit for Fenway Park LF.

Without J. Upton, the Red Sox are a bubble playoff team that isn't a title contender.

Nothing wrong with J. Upton.

What's wrong with Shane?

What's wrong with Ellsbury?

You apparently missed the thread on the Sox success without Upton and on game days when Upton hit a dinger.

While I agree a solid righty bat is needed in the Sox lineup, especially against lefty starters, right now it's hard to be sure what the chemistry would be with Upton and possibly his brother who is currently on the same team.  Would I rather have Upton than Victorino?  Absolutely.  Ellsbury?  Maybe.  But I have very little confidence that deal could have been made, and zero knowledge of what key pieces in the current Sox organization would be now be gone to acquire Upton.  Hot or cold, Upton seems to have one virtue Ellsbury, Victorino, and even Bradley do not have--he stays healthy. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

BJ Upton is worse than his brother.  So far, it looks like a $75 million mistake.   LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

What's wrong with him????  It's obvioulsy the 'Softlaw Jinx'...... figured that was obvious!  The tool has been wrong on every opinion so far....

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

OK, fair enough, J Upton would be a better option than Gomes vs. lefties.

Yes, as long as J Upton wouldn't mind platooning with Nava, he'd be a good replacement for Gomes. Laughing

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Only an idiot could claim that:

.529 slugging  14 homers in 2 months, 5 steals and 0 caught stealing

J. Upton has a .600 slugging and 1.032 OPS v LP

Only an idiot could claim "the tool has been wrong"

Take a look at Gomes and S. Drew, which cost more than J. Upton! How is that working for you!

Idiot!

Reported.....

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

"the tool has been wrong"

reported...................

Waaa! Mommy, make him stop!

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!  You are WAY too easy to get going.......  Thanks for the laugh.....tool.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Also, Ellsbury is relevant to the conversation. I am well aware of the difference in ages between Upton and Ellsbury. My comparison was not about years on the planet but years of major league service. That, more than age alone, is arguably a somewhat more significant consideration in detirmining player's relative contract value.

A lot of people confuse the two issues.  Age is important, but you really only have a player for 6 years before he becomes market value or above, and even his 6th year is often more costly than the production.  Age is far less important now than before free agency.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Dude is in one brutal slump.  27 K's in his last 61 ABs.  That's about 45%.  Amazing how a player can go from red hot to ice cold so quickly.