What's wrong with this picture?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

In response to slasher9's comment:

History books would have to be rewritten.  I don't think MLB will change that stat

Exactly. If they change it now then all wins would have to be changed since the beginning of organized baseball.

Sometimes tradition matters.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

History books would have to be rewritten.  I don't think MLB will change that stat

Exactly. If they change it now then all wins would have to be changed since the beginning of organized baseball.

That's why I brought up the example of the DH rule in MLB and the three point shot in the NBA.  What happened to tradition there?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In response to joel49's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

The OP got his wish one day late.  Last night saw the winning pitcher decided by the official scorer.  He could have given it to Mortensen or Breslow.  Breslow got it for being more effective.

This can only be done in cases where the starting pitcher for the winning team doesn't go 5 innings.

Then pitchers with bonus clauses for wins would be after the official scorers on a daily basis. Why should a lefty neutalizer get a win for strking out his one lefty batter when the starter gutted out 5 innings.

Right, nut, and good on you for picking up on last night's scoring decision.  Funny thing is, as I was watching Dempster trying to hang on and get through the fifth to have a chance at the W (which I was hoping he'd do given his lack of support in other starts), I was thinking "Now what's wrong with THISpicture?" 

So does this beg the question, why not change the rule to allow the official scorer, or a committeee of scorers, to determine wins and losses based on effectiveness? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Hey people -- It's called BASEBALL. It's a game where perfection is nearly impossible. Getting out 70 percent of the time isn't bad. Balls and strikes calls aren't going to always be right. Pitchers can pitch great and lose because of no run support or pitch lousy and get a win because of great run support.

My point is that's the beauty of baseball in that there are going to be results in stats that appear to not be fair. Is it fair for a guy to pitch a no-hitter but lose 1-0 because of a couple of fielding errors. Someone has to take the loss.

The point about ERA -- sheesh a lot of work for no reason. The pitcher who left did put the runner on base. That has to be accounted for. If he left a guy on second base with no outs and the reliever gives up two ground ball outs that lets the run score, the reliever certainly did his job, but one run did score -- not a half run.

Not to be jerk or anything, but I get tired of people complaining about the imperfections of statistics or other parts of the game. That's why baseball is such a long season. SOME, not all, of the imperfections are balanced out, and that's also why you can't look at one or two stats in evaluating a player.

And the last thing you want is a group of "judges" deciding who gets what stats. This isn't gymnastics. If a guy pitches 8 2/3 innings of scoreless ball in a tie game and another guy comes in for 1/3 then gets the win when his team scores in the bottom of the inning, then so be it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Silly premise. You change something moving forward. 

You don’t retroactively enforce rule changes.

To the best of my knowledge, since the onset of Video review for HR's I don't believe they have retracted the Yankees World Series win that was a direct result of fan interference that video clearly showed allowing the Yankees to beat Baltimore then go on to win the WS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

To the best of my knowledge, since the onset of Video review for HR's I don't believe they have retracted the Yankees World Series win that was a direct result of fan interference that video clearly showed allowing the Yankees to beat Baltimore then go on to win the WS.

It isn't a silly premise. Win totals could not be compared anymore. 200 games winners would mean different things. The amount of wins one would need to get in the Hall of Fame would mean different things.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to joel49's comment:

That's why I brought up the example of the DH rule in MLB and the three point shot in the NBA.  What happened to tradition there?

And thats why I said "sometimes" The Dh didn't change the meaning of a home run. The three point shot was put in as a gimmick to make the NBA more exciting. Apples-Oranges.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It isn't a silly premise. Win totals could not be compared anymore. 200 games winners would mean different things. The amount of wins one would need to get in the Hall of Fame would mean different things.

Yeah so.  The Steroid era changed the meaning of HR's and how they now relate to HOF recognition.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Yeah so.  The Steroid era changed the meaning of HR's and how they now relate to HOF recognition.  

Right. and the steroid era is a negative thing.  So apparently you agree with me.