Whats your plan FO?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Whats your plan FO?

I expected this season to go south and trust me folks it won't get much better with this bunch anytime soon.  Brock Holt, Herrera and Middy will never help our future in any kind of starting role at 3B or SS consistently.  I really hope Bogy and Drew can stay healthy and play well.  Now Victorino is down again with Nava returning and JBJ struggling about as badly as any rookie could offensively so how long do we continue this OF debacle? 

The Good, Betts has yet to make an error in the OF while he continues to treat AA pitchers like a bunch of little leaguers.  Marrero also continues to play well defensively and maintain pretty solid splits at the plate.  Both young catchers in Swihart and Vasquez also look promising.

The Bad, our FO is still reluctant to trade for an every day "major league ready" bat who can play well defensively.  We also continue to wait/pray/hope one or two of our young arms including Doubront can help our starting rotation on a regular basis.  Finally, Carp/ Gomes and Nava will never improve over last season

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Whats your plan FO?

This team still has plenty of time to turn it around, and at this point it will need to be a complete about face.

I think they have to wait and see here (and I know this won't be popular) If the Sox are in it 2 months from now I would defintely look to make a trade, either for a #1 ace or for a slugging corner outfielder.  But if the Sox are not in it, then why not become sellers????

They still have a plethora of young talent that will improve from their rookie campaigns and more to come behind them in Betts/Cecchini/Owens/Barnes/Webster/RDLR/Workman/Ranaudo/Swihart/Vasquez etc etc etc.

AND the Sox also have tons and tons of payroll coming off the books the next couple years.  They could be very large players in free agency and could completely retool this team.  So why not sell high on some arms that are likely not going to be here in a year or two anyways.  Jake Peavy, John Lackey, Jon Lester, and the Sox would have plenty of other pieces as well.  We could have enough prospects to trade for a guy like Stanton/Cargo and still have a top farm system, and then go out and spend the money to put a championship team on the field next year.

I'm not giving up on this season yet, but it's not like if they lose this year the organization is in a bind and in a downward spiral....because they're not.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This team still has plenty of time to turn it around, and at this point it will need to be a complete about face.

I think they have to wait and see here (and I know this won't be popular) If the Sox are in it 2 months from now I would defintely look to make a trade, either for a #1 ace or for a slugging corner outfielder.  But if the Sox are not in it, then why not become sellers????

They still have a plethora of young talent that will improve from their rookie campaigns and more to come behind them in Betts/Cecchini/Owens/Barnes/Webster/RDLR/Workman/Ranaudo/Swihart/Vasquez etc etc etc.

AND the Sox also have tons and tons of payroll coming off the books the next couple years.  They could be very large players in free agency and could completely retool this team.  So why not sell high on some arms that are likely not going to be here in a year or two anyways.  Jake Peavy, John Lackey, Jon Lester, and the Sox would have plenty of other pieces as well.  We could have enough prospects to trade for a guy like Stanton/Cargo and still have a top farm system, and then go out and spend the money to put a championship team on the field next year.

I'm not giving up on this season yet, but it's not like if they lose this year the organization is in a bind and in a downward spiral....because they're not.  

[/QUOTE]

Two months from now is much too long hugh, you may as well give the season away because our record will be beyond the point of gaining a playoff spot.  Out of all the prospects we have only a select few will probably ever impact the club or rotation.  Doubront and Middy have had a long enough look to determine their talent and we all know others like Holt, Nava, Gomes and Carp are all defensive liabilities.  Holt has never done well defensively at the big league level at 2B or 3B to be a starter.  In fact his stats are quite embarrassing for a major league player.

The only two youngsters I would give a longer look to on our present team are Bogy and JBJ.  I would even entertain packaging BJ if Betts works out and we could land a power hitting bat like you mentioned. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Let's hope that next year draft we don't waste it on a horrible HS pitcher instead of a all-star CF (Austin Meadows). Dam Pirates are going to be have the best OF for a century.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Let's hope that next year draft we don't waste it on a horrible HS pitcher instead of a all-star CF (Austin Meadows). Dam Pirates are going to be have the best OF for a century.

really?  Austin Meadows is already an "allstar" outfielder.  Calling Ball a bust and Meadows a star is just wrong.  Both are just barely 19 years old, drafted fresh out of high school and one has about 20 innings in low A the other has 17 at bats.  We likely won't see these guys in the majors for a long time, even if one of them ends up being a phenom it could be at least 2 years.  The Sox didn't draft the guy they thought would be a better player at 19 years old in rookie ball they drafted the guy with the biggest ceiling who they thought they could mold over several years.

I think the Sox know who to draft better than you and me.  FWIW I wanted Meadows too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Two months from now is much too long hugh, you may as well give the season away because our record will be beyond the point of gaining a playoff spot.  Out of all the prospects we have only a select few will probably ever impact the club or rotation.  Doubront and Middy have had a long enough look to determine their talent and we all know others like Holt, Nava, Gomes and Carp are all defensive liabilities.  Holt has never done well defensively at the big league level at 2B or 3B to be a starter.  In fact his stats are quite embarrassing for a major league player.

The only two youngsters I would give a longer look to on our present team are Bogy and JBJ.  I would even entertain packaging BJ if Betts works out and we could land a power hitting bat like you mentioned. 

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps 2 months is too long, but let me ask you how often do big trades happen in May and June?

They are almost unheard of and I doubt we see that, no team will buy high out of desperation.  A lot of players who will be for sale in July are not for sale right now. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

FO---"We have no plan other than to make large profits this year. We gave you guys a World Series last year, so be grateful for that. However, if this team does finish in last, we promise not to raise ticket prices next year."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I would get Crawford, JD Drew, and Punto back.  Those were the days!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps 2 months is too long, but let me ask you how often do big trades happen in May and June?

They are almost unheard of and I doubt we see that, no team will buy high out of desperation.  A lot of players who will be for sale in July are not for sale right now. 

[/QUOTE]

Not often hugh but this team has serious issues that won't work themselves out like some fans predicted.  We are a horrible offensive team with little to no power or defense at too many Key positions. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not often hugh but this team has serious issues that won't work themselves out like some fans predicted.  We are a horrible offensive team with little to no power or defense at too many Key positions. 

[/QUOTE]

If we are so broken beyond repair then It's going to take more than one or two moves to change that.  And that change will likely have to include this offseason as well.  It's not that I don't want the Sox to make a big trade to improve this team, because I do...but I also don't want them to buy high and pay a higher premium now as a panic move.  Teams that make panic moves...tend to not do so well in the long run.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I

If we are so broken beyond repair then It's going to take more than one or two moves to change that.  And that change will likely have to include this offseason as well.  It's not that I don't want the Sox to make a big trade to improve this team, because I do...but I also don't want them to buy high and pay a higher premium now as a panic move.  Teams that make panic moves...tend to not do so well in the long run.

[/QUOTE]

I have faith in our FO  enough to believe they will fix the ship the only question is when?  I just hope it happens before next season and not during ST to give guys a chance to create some chemistry together.  I think last seasons team was an exemption to the rule, everyone really wanted to win after a horrible 2012 and the bombing helped motivate them.  This seasons team doesn't have the same experience or drive to repeat without a big move or two.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The plan is bring up another one from Pawtucket.bI can actually see this team not winning another game the rest of the year, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Pathetic job Ben, I mean Larry on the job you did and the incredible job you did at the winter meetings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

The plan is bring up another one from Pawtucket.bI can actually see this team not winning another game the rest of the year, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Pathetic job Ben, I mean Larry on the job you did and the incredible job you did at the winter meetings.

QUOTE:

Its interesting to watch because when the Yankees have injuries they seem to bring up just about anyone from their farm that can give them a lending hand.  For a team who is supposed to have less quality on their farm the Yanks have had more success than our highly rated kids have given us so far this season.  All I ask is for the Sox to rid themselves from Nava, Gomes, Carp, Middy, Doub or any other dead weight by seasons end to help push the next generation to the next level.  This along with a smart trade or two will be the only thing to get us back on track.  A WS is great but most of us all knew it was part staying healthy, a solid defense, run production, good pitching and our overall depth that got us there.

This team is far from the same!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Salty is making 1 million less than AJ this season...

As always - 100% correct!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

And Salty is 4x's the defender and twice the hitter. It's not just the loss of Ellsbury that's killing our offense, it's Salty too. Was stupid to let him go because we MIGHT have something ready soon in the miners. How's JBJ working out so far as Jacoby's replacement?

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty is making 1 million less than AJ this season...

As always - 100% correct!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

One knows how terrible the SOX are when people actually want Salty back. I blame it on long term memory loss. Salty had a weak arm, weak glove, and was a strikeout machine. Seeing as how the SOX have Napoli, the SOX couldn't handle having two strikeout machines. 

Am I happy with AJ? Hell no, but I'm glad Salty is gone. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One knows how terrible the SOX are when people actually want Salty back. I blame it on long term memory loss. Salty had a weak arm, weak glove, and was a strikeout machine. Seeing as how the SOX have Napoli, the SOX couldn't handle having two strikeout machines. 

[/QUOTE]

Some people miss things like a catcher who hits 270, with power and an obp near 370, a catcher who the pitchers were comfortable with, who was above average at framing pitches andblocking balls. Stick to hockey because you clearly don't know Jack about baseball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

QUOTE:

That's true, Salty probably wouldn't be playing any better in Boston.  He has 7 errors already, 2 PB's and 17 WP's that have gotten by him which fans fail to recognize.  It's kind of like saying we should keep Brock Holt at 3B because he gets a few hits even though his career FLG percentage there is a .926.  Lets also not forget the fact Salty is only throwing out 19% of runners trying to steal.  I'm sure our FO has some sort of plan for this mess.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Call up the kids - that should be the plan

Cecchini should be up - Owens should be up

There is no sense in waiting.

Defense.  It is still important.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some people miss things like a catcher who hits 270, with power and an obp near 370, a catcher who the pitchers were comfortable with, who was above average at framing pitches andblocking balls. Stick to hockey because you clearly don't know Jack about baseball.

[/QUOTE]

You're guessing about this part.  My guess would be that the pitchers' evaluations of Salty had something to do with him being let go.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Garin plays horrible 3B defense but after watching Holt it couldn't be a lot worse.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Yes, I've heard Cecchni is not developing defensively as fast as Sox would like.  He can take grounders in Fenway every day, if they like.

He can't be worse than status quo

Defense.  It is still important

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bogaerts will be at 3B as soon as Drew gets here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Bogaerts will be at 3B as soon as Drew gets here.

That should solve a few issues hfx and it's great to see Betts playing some OF.  The team should look much different next season, especially if we can land a big bat and finally lose some dead weight.  This season is far from over and I'm sure the FO has been very busy thinking about the trading deadline.  The future is as bright as the FO makes it.  They have endless possibilities to trade for another centerpiece.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Young players struggling is part of the problem, and we want to bring more up?  It is expected for young players to struggle and sometimes even take a year or two to come into their own.  It helps when you have a base and veterans around them to hide them away.  THey will stand out much much more however when they are ALL struggling, because just about the entire team is struggling.

If there is no chance to compete this year, then why rush guys and bring them to the majors?  why lose the year of control? all we are doing are increasing the costs the Sox have to pay several years down the line.

Now if there is a hole in the lineup at a position and player xyz is smashing it in Pawtucket then Yes SCREW THE ARBY clock and bring him up!!!! but if the Sox are struggling and falling further and further out of contention, then why bring a guy up if he isn't 100% ready?

I saw Owens walk 6 guys in 6 innings a few weeks ago, although he had a much better time of keeping his fastball down last night he still needs a lot of work.  I saw him no hit NB in 5 innings, but he did it around 100 pitches.  He wouldn't be able to go more than 4-5 innings at the MLB level right now.  Even if his stuff is good enough to get MLB hitters out right now they would A.) feast off of his control tallying up insanely high pitch counts, and B.) destroy his 89 MPH fastball when he has trouble keeping it up.

Owens could be a very good pitcher, but why bring him up now when he is not going to help this team go to the playoffs this year? burn a 40 man spot? and start his arby clock? sorry but that makes no sense.

Cecchinis lack of power is starting to be concerning, he has only 7 XBH out of 44 with defense that would make him a downgrade from WMB.  He needs more time to figure things out and his OPS is down to .730 which wouldn't cut it as a corner infielder in the big leagues, especially a guy who isn't a great defender.

So.....actually it makes all the sense in the world to keep on waiting.