When a Hr is not an overrated stat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

When a Hr is not an overrated stat

Two Words....Johnny Gomes

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: When a Hr is not an overrated stat

He's been awesome lately with the late inning heroics. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

He's been awesome lately with the late inning heroics. 

Indeed, his value to the team is just that, right handed bat with a little pop coming off the bench to pitch hit late in close games. The guy seems to be well liked in the clubhouse too aka Swisher. an odd ball that comes to play everyday with a little bit of an edge. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yes I think Jonny is earning that $5 million salary that many people were begrudging him earlier in the year.  Most of Cherington's moves continue to be vindicated. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Yes I think Jonny is earning that $5 million salary that many people were begrudging him earlier in the year.  Most of Cherington's moves continue to be vindicated. 

No doubt he's earning his keep and I agree that Cherington has done a very nice job retooling this team from the ashes he was left. I'll be curious to see what they do come the trade deadline. Based on the formula used in past seasons. We've reached the half way mark with a realitively healthy roster,we're in the hunt, no none in the division that looks to be able to run away and hide. So one should assume that we'll be active in trying to acquire missing pieces (closer/corner infielder). 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I know it is expecting too much, but after Jaden ran off her/his mouth, they'd be in here to acknowledge that Gomes is making a solid contribution.

Or maybe those running down Farrell, just like they bashed Tito before him, would come into say 'nice call on the PH against a righty'.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

And I'm a NYer, love being a NYer, but it is nights like last night that make me really wish I could spend a little time in Boston.  Is it possible to have a better time than a PH walk-off HR at Fenway?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

No doubt he's earning his keep and I agree that Cherington has done a very nice job retooling this team from the ashes he was left. I'll be curious to see what they do come the trade deadline. Based on the formula used in past seasons. We've reached the half way mark with a realitively healthy roster,we're in the hunt, no none in the division that looks to be able to run away and hide. So one should assume that we'll be active in trying to acquire missing pieces (closer/corner infielder). 

Gomes was amazing, again. He's definitely making a name for himself. Half of HR hit are vanity points anyway.

If Buchholz is indeed healthy to return, i think they only aquire another good BP arm. All the talk on here about Lee or Pap and not one conversation between the Phillies and the Red Sox. I personally think there are better trading partners out there if moves have to be made. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I know it is expecting too much, but after Jaden ran off her/his mouth, they'd be in here to acknowledge that Gomes is making a solid contribution.

Or maybe those running down Farrell, just like they bashed Tito before him, would come into say 'nice call on the PH against a righty'.

Seriously.  It really was a beautiful call by Farrell.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Timing and it seems Mr. Gomes has it down pat.

Love the Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Homerun trivia:

Who is the only player, age 40 or older, in MLB history to hit at least 20 homeruns before the All Star break?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Homerun trivia:

Who is the only player, age 40 or older, in MLB history to hit at least 20 homeruns before the All Star break?

Bonds?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Homerun trivia:

Bonds?

No, but Barry Bonds would have been my guess.

Hint: The player turned 41 years of age last month.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Homerun trivia:

Bonds?

Ibanez...soon to be an ex mariner again

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Gomes was amazing, again. He's definitely making a name for himself. Half of HR hit are vanity points anyway.

If Buchholz is indeed healthy to return, i think they only aquire another good BP arm. All the talk on here about Lee or Pap and not one conversation between the Phillies and the Red Sox. I personally think there are better trading partners out there if moves have to be made. 

If they're serious they'll get both a BP arm and a legit corner infielder. I like the idea of making a move for young seems more likely than Lee or Papelbon

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

If they're serious they'll get both a BP arm and a legit corner infielder. I like the idea of making a move for young seems more likely than Lee or Papelbon

Yeah. Def more likely. And if that means guys like WMB & Snyder stay down for another yr thats ok By me. They'llget their turn again. BP pieces are important. We got a good defense up the middle plus Iggy (whereever he plays), no more flyball relief pitchers. Can't defend it if it goes over everyones' heads. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Yeah. Def more likely. And if that means guys like WMB & Snyder stay down for another yr thats ok By me. They'llget their turn again. BP pieces are important. We got a good defense up the middle plus Iggy (whereever he plays), no more flyball relief pitchers. Can't defend it if it goes over everyones' heads. 

I am not nearly so concerned with getting a good corner IF as I am about getting a closer and maybe even one more RP. Napoli is struggling and is likely to come around-and we are already leading the AL in runs per game and OPS+. However our RP is 12th. Its likely to get worse if we have to overwork Taz and Uehara. Unless Bailey does an about face he should be demoted (he still has options) in favor of a functional closer. Then we will be as set as possible for the second half.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxFan88's comment:

Teresa Hanafin is a devout, gunho, obsessed Red Sox fan and yet she keeps taking directions on which posters annoy Pumpsie and who should be banned. Teresa Hanafin can be emailed or phoned and Pumpsie calls her and reads the riot act on who is a Red Sox fan and who isn't. We all know better than Teresa that Pumpsie is a faux Red Sox fan.  Pumpsie does an excellent snow job on Teresa. Maybe Teresa likes Pumpsie because her forum needs a perpetual pessimist and negative person.  Call Teresa or email her and let her know that Pumpsie is not a Red Sox fan. Shame on Teresa for selling out.

OK Pike. This is #4. Its been reported. Hope you get another vacation soon!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I am not nearly so concerned with getting a good corner IF as I am about getting a closer and maybe even one more RP. Napoli is struggling and is likely to come around-and we are already leading the AL in runs per game and OPS+. However our RP is 12th. Its likely to get worse if we have to overwork Taz and Uehara. Unless Bailey does an about face he should be demoted (he still has options) in favor of a functional closer. Then we will be as set as possible for the second half.

We already got a closer in Jonny gomes :)! In all seriousness, we sure-up the pen we b fine. SD intentionally bb the sh_t out of Ortiz. He needs protection. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Homerun trivia:

Bonds?

Ibanez...soon to be an ex mariner again

Raul Ibanez, who has maintained a home in Seattle throughout the years, could be Mariner managerial material ... or not.

Ibanez hit his 21st homerun of the season tonight. The single-season homerun record for a player 40 years of age or older is held by none other than Red Sox great Ted Williams with 29 homeruns in 1960:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130703&content_id=52600380&notebook_id=52599620&vkey=notebook_sea&c_id=sea

Sections
Shortcuts