When did MLB players become the biggest babies in sports?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: When did MLB players become the biggest babies in sports?

The pitcher was Paxton Crawford, who cut himself falling out of bed or something.

THE PROBLEM IS NOT WITH BASEBALL ALONE.

Society at large is filled with people who go socialize at the gym and think this makes them real tough guys, while they show off their tattoos and tans with earrings in their ears.

This country was built on the sweat and blood of farmers, railworkers, soldiers, and blue collar workers not the pretty boys who preen themselves and pose for the ladies.

This concept of hard work is being lost in America today. Our country is a nation of schizo, sensitive, selfish, overprivledged babies. these are the people who are running this country, and these are the athletes,celebrities, actors and businessmen who are running the show. It is only normal for younger people to copy them.

We had real men to look up to when we kids. There are so few good examples of what a real man should be like.

We once had John Wayne and Clint Eastwood , now we have Jersey Shore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Zill, I could not agree more. As a child of the 50's and 60's, the adults I had to look up to and that raised me were without question an amazing generation. As chronicaled in Dan Rather's book, I think it is The Greatest Generation the men and women of that genration went to war, suffered through the Great Depression, worked extremely hard to make little money and raise their families for a "better life". And you are so correct in that the athletes during that period were not brittle by any strech. Way too many examples in Football and Baseball to mention here, suffice to say they were Men, real Men, who played for a pittance of salary and perservered because they loved "the game". The youth of today simply will not get it until hard times really hit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

It's so disgusting how bad these player's are babied. Let's put things in the proper perspective, - We're talking about Adrian Gonzales  going to the outfield, not a mine-field. I'm so sick and tired of people saying he could get hurt, I mean the guy is a professinal athlete, GET REAL! Like the earlier poster DavetheKnave said "we are all day to day."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: When did MLB players become the biggest babies in sports?:
    The pitcher was Paxton Crawford, who cut himself falling out of bed or something. THE PROBLEM IS NOT WITH BASEBALL ALONE. Society at large is filled with people who go socialize at the gym and think this makes them real tough guys, while they show off their tattoos and tans with earrings in their ears. This country was built on the sweat and blood of farmers, railworkers, soldiers, and blue collar workers not the pretty boys who preen themselves and pose for the ladies. This concept of hard work is being lost in America today. Our country is a nation of schizo, sensitive, selfish, overprivledged babies. these are the people who are running this country, and these are the athletes,celebrities, actors and businessmen who are running the show. It is only normal for younger people to copy them. We had real men to look up to when we kids. There are so few good examples of what a real man should be like. We once had John Wayne and Clint Eastwood , now we have Jersey Shore.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Well said Zilla, and alot nicer than I would have put it.  The Dr. Phil'ling of our nation's adults would be laughable if not so prevalent.  I long for the day America grows up and Americans start taking responsibility for their actions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Zill, I could not agree more. As a child of the 50's and 60's, the adults I had to look up to and that raised me were without question an amazing generation. As chronicaled in Dan Rather's book, I think it is The Greatest Generation the men and women of that genration went to war, suffered through the Great Depression, worked extremely hard to make little money and raise their families for a "better life". And you are so correct in that the athletes during that period were not brittle by any strech. Way too many examples in Football and Baseball to mention here, suffice to say they were Men, real Men, who played for a pittance of salary and perservered because they loved "the game". The youth of today simply will not get it until hard times really hit.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

I think you meant Tom Brokaw

The great trouble with baseball today is that most of the players are in the game for the money and that's it, not for the love of it, the excitement of it, the thrill of it.
    Ty Cobb

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I mostly understand the sentiment.  It should be noted that Gonzalez has made it clear he's willing to play right field and that Francona is strongly considering it.  However, you also have to acknowledge that there's an increased risk of Gonzalez getting injured playing an unfamiliar position.  If that were to happen it could have a severe impact on the team's chances this year.    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Posted by sindarin-erebor

Don't give credit for "The Greatest Generation" book to that sorry excuse of a journalist Dan Rather, whose bias was in the news was so evident he mades Bill O'Reilly and Keith Olberman look impartial.

Tom Brokaw wrote the book.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

the point is with pitchers they are trained to do a very specific task for years and years then suddenly they have to do something very different that their bodies are not used to. with Gonzalez i would hate to see him pull a hammy or something chasing a ball in the gap, again as a first baseman he doesnt normally do that so dont risk it

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

No arguement with OP baseball players are 'soft' when compared to other sports my favorite injury was the guy who threw his back out snezzing in the dugout and had to go the DL.
        I'm going to speak for the other side, baseball is at its core a game of failure a great hitter makes an out 65-70 percent of the time. Hall of Fame pitchers routinely give up 20-30 home runs a year, great teams lose 40 percent of their games.In no other sport is failure on this level expected and still be considered great. Baseball is hard enough when healthy and many players play when dinged up,Youk and Pedroia obvious examples, that I can cut them some slack plus I think management uses the DL much more liberally than in the past, which is something the player has no control over, and then of course their is Lowrie who should have 'handle with care' stickers all over his body.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

the point is with pitchers they are trained to do a very specific task for years and years then suddenly they have to do something very different that their bodies are not used to. with Gonzalez i would hate to see him pull a hammy or something chasing a ball in the gap, again as a first baseman he doesnt normally do that so dont risk it
    Posted by fourrings

His chances of pulling a hamstrimg are just as great, when he hits a ground ball deep in the hole, and sprints to first base.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: When did MLB players become the biggest babies in sports? : I think you meant Tom Brokaw The great trouble with baseball today is that most of the players are in the game for the money and that's it, not for the love of it, the excitement of it, the thrill of it. Ty Cobb
    Posted by pinstripezac32

I did, and thank you for the catch!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: When did MLB players become the biggest babies in sports? : Don't give credit for "The Greatest Generation" book to that sorry excuse of a journalist Dan Rather, whose bias was in the news was so evident he mades Bill O'Reilly and Keith Olberman look impartial. Tom Brokaw wrote the book.
    Posted by royf19

Apologies....Senior MomentYell

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

The pitcher was Paxton Crawford, who cut himself falling out of bed or something. THE PROBLEM IS NOT WITH BASEBALL ALONE. Society at large is filled with people who go socialize at the gym and think this makes them real tough guys, while they show off their tattoos and tans with earrings in their ears. This country was built on the sweat and blood of farmers, railworkers, soldiers, and blue collar workers not the pretty boys who preen themselves and pose for the ladies. This concept of hard work is being lost in America today. Our country is a nation of schizo, sensitive, selfish, overprivledged babies. these are the people who are running this country, and these are the athletes,celebrities, actors and businessmen who are running the show. It is only normal for younger people to copy them. We had real men to look up to when we kids. There are so few good examples of what a real man should be like. We once had John Wayne and Clint Eastwood , now we have Jersey Shore.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

This country was built on the backs of slaves and dead Indians.  And you do realize Eastwood and Wayne are actors, right?  What a stream of bitter dimentia...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

The problem with AG in RF is not that he'll get hurt, but that he runs like he's wearing snow shoes at the beach.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: When did MLB players become the biggest babies in sports? : This country was built on the backs of slaves and dead Indians.  And you do realize Eastwood and Wayne are actors, right?  What a stream of bitter dimentia...
    Posted by OhEFFU

Although slave and "dead Indians" paid a price, they were not alone. This is the sad part of our history.

The point (that many of the posters understand and that you don't seem to get) is that we had generations of people in this country who had much, much less than what we have today....but they appreciated it!!! They were grateful to have work and even though the pay was not always good...it kept their families alive.

John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are symbols of that type of brave spirit. They are icons of American spirit, they played heroic (though fictious) men who made us proud to be Americans, Proud to be men. The characters they played were bigger than life, but when you watched them you wanted to be like that.

This is not the same feeling I get when I hear a ballplayer that makes $20 million a season, has to sit out because of a blister or a sore muscle. I go to work everyday with "sore muscles." This excuse would not fly for the middle-class working man, why is it "o.k." for the MLB player?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Incidentally,I do not want Adrian Gonzalez in the outfield because of the injury threat, I just don't think he can play the position well enough to do the job adequately.

This we can surely agree on.

But it was nice of him to offer, don't you think?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Gonzalez does seem to be one of the guys who, though obviously making a crazy amount of money, does love the game and wants to play every day.  Pedroia and Youkilis seem that way too.  There are still players like that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Posted by ZILLAGOD

Zilla, can you give some examples of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood's real life "real man" behaviour?  Wayne famously didn't exactly rush to sign up for WW2 the way, say, Ted Williams did for both WW2 and Korea.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

Yeah?  Well, what if he gets hit a soft fly ball, misjudges it, it goes and bonks him on the noggin, and then his ego gets bruised and he has to try to live with the shame of it all.

Bet ya never thought about that, huh?  Well, trust me, Francona is one step ahead of ya.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I'm not sure who's doing the "babying" here.  To what extent is it players opting not to play, or is it management being overly cautious in protecting their investments?  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Lifting bags of peat moss and rock salt can take its toll on ones back after doing it every day. Many teenagers who get exposed to such hardship at parttime jobs decide to be like real men and go to take on the challenge and hard work and expense of going to college that prepares them for a more rewarding and profitable occupation. Now those types are "real men".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Gonzo in RF, Ortiz on first = bad defense.

If Ortiz had hit last night, that might make it more tempting.   I still say defense is more important here, as shown by Cams diving gaff last night.

Sections
Shortcuts