When does this guy take a hike? Go root for another team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

When does this guy take a hike? Go root for another team

Dan Shaughnessy agrees.  He brings up the fact that the Sox were able to dodge some really good pitchers on their recent trip to the west coast.

"When can you go to the west coast to play the Giants and Dodgers and not see the four best pitchers on the two teams?" argued Dan Shaughnessy, "That stuff's kinda random.  You can go through and cherry pick anything you want, but they are in a pretty good stretch there where they are missing the best people (the other teams) have to offer."

Like this is not part of the game, this idiot bases his comments on two series!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: When does this guy take a hike? Go root for another team

It wouldn't have mattered - in their next starts after the Sox left town, Kershaw and Greinke gave up five runs to the Cubs, and Bumgarner four to the Rockies.  Sox pitching shut down the west-coast teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

It wouldn't have mattered - in their next starts after the Sox left town, Kershaw and Greinke gave up five runs to the Cubs, and Bumgarner four to the Rockies.  Sox pitching shut down the west-coast teams.

For the most part, it doesn't work that way. I would have thought you knew that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

For the most part, it doesn't work that way. I would have thought you knew that.

I think it does - if a rested Kershaw faced Lester or Peavey last weekend, he would have lost.  Next weekend it might be different, but last weekend he would have lost.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

slomag 100% correct

One thing I'm 100% sure of; if slomag and I took completely reverse positions, you would have said the exact same thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Agree. When DOES this guy take a hike? He needs to go back to the team he loves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Shaughnessy is an a-hole....and, I told him that to his face when I saw him at a Starbuck's last year.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Dan is a buffoon. He clearly has an axe to grind with Sox.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:

Agree. When DOES this guy take a hike? He needs to go back to the team he loves.

that would be Team CHB :-)..hi Kim

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Shaughnessy is an a-hole....and, I told him that to his face when I saw him at a Starbuck's last year.

You may not agree with his point of view and I disagree with him quite often as well, but whether we agree with him or not is no reason to verbally assault someone in public. It in my mind makes you the a-whole......

Like they say when your going under the bar in Limbo "how low can you go".  

Hetch

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The guys you'd have wanted to avoid would be Buamgarner, Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, and Nolasco based on how he's pitched with LAD.  So we should have faced 2.5 of the 5 pitchers, and we faced 2 of them.  So we basically saved .5 tougher starts.

Wow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

[QUOTE]

You may not agree with his point of view and I disagree with him quite often as well, but whether we agree with him or not is no reason to verbally assault someone in public. It in my mind makes you the a-whole......

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, my friend, but with numerous different verbal options to choose from, the one that fits him perfectly is 'a-whole'...perhaps 'egotistical a-whole'.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but with the garbage he prints, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to tell him that again.

I'll take my chances with what other people think of me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. I don't understand why some people take it so personally when another person states an opinion they disagree with. I watched The Baseball Show wth Dan on it on Saturday. I didn't think he said anything outrageous. He was right. The Sox did catch a break on the trip.

Personally, even though he was skeptical of the team's chances this year, I always felt his concerns were justified. He's not supposed to be a cheerleader, and it doesn't bother me if he points out what he perceives to be flaws or concerns. I'm secure enough in my own opinion to agree or disagree w/o having to make it personal.

There was a guy who called in to the show just to take a cheap shot at Shaughnessy. Wow -- what a loser. Must have been the highlight of his life.

Just because I try to remain positive outwardly about the team and enjoy when things are going well, it doesn't mean I might not have concerns about the team at any give time.Heck, back in August 2011 when everyone -- Shaughnessy included and nearly all the media and talk show crowd -- were saying the playoffs were a given, I never felt that way. I was too scarred by 1974 and 1978 to ever feel a playoff berth is safe until it's officially wrapped up.

Shaughnessy has written his fair share of positve columns over the years, but even if he's as negative as some think, it's far better than columnists who are the at the other extreme and who are over-the-top homers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

There was a guy who called in to the show just to take a cheap shot at Shaughnessy. Wow -- what a loser. Must have been the highlight of his life.

He takes cheap shots at RS players all the time.  Is he then immune from taking cheap shots himself?    Isn't there a quid pro quo thing going on?  I think if you dish it out, you gotta take it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

This is a story I have told a few times.  Back in 94 he was on EEI and wondering why anyone would want to see the Celtics at that time.  Basically chastising people for going to see a mediocre team.  I called in and told him, hey some of us couldn't get tickets when they were doing well.  We want to see our team, we have to take it when we can.  Just because a team is not doing well doesn't mean we should give up on them. 

But as far as he and the Sox go, even back then he would take a shot at the Red Sox, even when he was talking about another sport.  I stopped reading his stuff a long time ago.

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

He takes cheap shots at RS players all the time.  Is he then immune from taking cheap shots himself?    Isn't there a quid pro quo thing going on?  I think if you dish it out, you gotta take it.

He did take it. He just laughed it off.

But c'mon -- there is a difference. Whatever "cheap shots" -- and being critical of a player isn't necessarily a cheap shot -- Shaughnessy or any columnist might take, it's at least it's done in the process of doing his job of offering analysis and commentary. It's much different than someone waiting on the phone for 30 minutes just to spew some juvenile comments or seeing the guy in public and calling him names simply because you don't like his opinions.

I just don't understand that mindset.

I put "cheap shots" in quotes because many times, legitimate criticism is described as a cheap shot simply because someone disagrees. I think too often there is a severe overreaction to honest analysis just because it doesn't fit in with the way someone else see things.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

good stuff roy

I don't get it Promise4you2 /  point of the thread

R U actually upset that someone suggested the sox caught a break by

not facing  Kershaw, Greinke &  Buamgarner

really

even if one changed their mind seconds later

I would have  thought that it went through every  fans mind

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

that would be Team CHB :-)..hi Kim

[/QUOTE]

Hey, Jete! If I was a Yankee fan I would love him. Not saying you do, just sayin'. lol

In Francona's book the players talk about story after story when you play in Boston. There has to be a reason a person constantly tries to undermine and demoralize the team they are writing about.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

LOL!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

The guys you'd have wanted to avoid would be Buamgarner, Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, and Nolasco based on how he's pitched with LAD.  So we should have faced 2.5 of the 5 pitchers, and we faced 2 of them.  So we basically saved .5 tougher starts.

Wow.

Joe , That is quite a spin on the situation.  You play a three game series with the Dodgers, you are going to miss two of the starters in their rotation.  We missed Kershaw and Greinke, by far their best two. We caught a break there.  I'm not complaining. It's nice to get a break here and there. But don't say that it was not a break.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

Dan Shaughnessy agrees.  He brings up the fact that the Sox were able to dodge some really good pitchers on their recent trip to the west coast.

"When can you go to the west coast to play the Giants and Dodgers and not see the four best pitchers on the two teams?" argued Dan Shaughnessy, "That stuff's kinda random.  You can go through and cherry pick anything you want, but they are in a pretty good stretch there where they are missing the best people (the other teams) have to offer."

Like this is not part of the game, this idiot bases his comments on two series!

That's a nice little story Dan threw up there, ,but it's really nothing but a red herring. 

The implication there is that the Sox might have lost those games had the best pitchers for LAD & SFG gone against the Sox.  However, if you look at the game the Sox won against those two teams you have to wonder if it would have made a difference. 

8/19 The Sox beat SFG 7-0

8/21 The Sox beat SFG 12-1

8/24 The Sox beat LAD 4-2

8/25 The Sox beat LAD 12-1

Those two teams scored a total of four runs in those four losses.  If a team doesn't score enough runs to win, they don't win - which has nothing to do with who pitched for them.

The Sox may have been fortunate to have avoided their top pitchers but Shaunnessey will have to do some talking to convince me that our avoiding those pitchers altered the outcome of the games. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Shaughnessy is clearly not afraid to be negative; however it appears he overdoes it. Keep in mind his goal is to sell papers. It kind of reminds me of the New York Post, and likely other writers, who look to pounce on every nook and cranny of every hometown team; and usually they're right, or at least in part have a point.

It is rare  for a writer or announcer to criticize an out of town team or player, unless there's a national angle; like ARod.

Sections
Shortcuts