When is enough enough for our FO?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

When is enough enough for our FO?

Some of us knew this season could be ugly but when will the FO realize this lineup has little to no chance of producing any kind of winning streak consistently enough to keep us competitive.  Please, make a trade at some point, release certain players or swap out more youngsters so we at the very least have someone different to root on that may hopefully pick this team up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

Re: When is enough enough for our FO?

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some of us knew this season could be ugly but when will the FO realize this lineup has little to no chance of producing any kind of winning streak consistently enough to keep us competitive.  Please, make a trade at some point, release certain players or swap out more youngsters so we at the very least have someone different to root on that may hopefully pick this team up.

[/QUOTE]

Nope. Please don't make a trade just to give us a change. Wait patiently and make the right trade to give us long-term success.

Thanks.

[object HTMLDivElement]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I would not trade good prospects for a good impact player right now. Besides, we are probably more than one trade away from being a highly competitive team this fall.

I haven't given up on 2014 yet, but I'd only make a trade that helps us beyond this year too.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

There must be another ex-major leaguer out there who hasn't played ball in a couple of years that this FO can sign. This SOX FO has gone from getting players from the DOLLAR STORE to now shopping at the RESCUE MISSION. Low salary, low risk, low rewards.

Let's just hope that the SOX farm system doesn't turn into GRAPES OF WRATH.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Actually as much as some folks want a change just for change's sake, that's a really dumb way to go about this. 

When you're desperate, you make desperate moves that rarely work. 

The team needs to make strategic moves. Right now, they need another month or so to work things through. If they are still that far out of the wild card in a month, that will be the point at which they will have a better idea of building ahead for the following year and making moves with that in mind. 

I can totally appreciate why fans would be restless, but right now is not the best time to make a move - unless a great offer comes along. If they were one piece away from being good, then fine. But they're not one piece away. So, you don't mortgage your future at the moment. Wait a little while. Then maybe you can do some things once you truly know where your team is headed. 

Also: fans need to boycott watching the games on television. A deep ratings dip will send the right message to management - act like a big market team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There must be another ex-major leaguer out there who hasn't played ball in a couple of years that this FO can sign. This SOX FO has gone from getting players from the DOLLAR STORE to now shopping at the RESCUE MISSION. Low salary, low risk, low rewards.

Let's just hope that the SOX farm system doesn't turn into GRAPES OF WRATH.

[/QUOTE]

What do you expect them to do this early in June???? I think we will a trade and some fluidity on the roster come July 31st.  But until then there just isn't anyone out there to pick up, it's either scraps or your own youth. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The problem with making a trade that would be worth it right now is most teams arent going to deal anyone good just yet. Even teams that are 10 games out of it. Once July rolls around talks will heat up. Actually, now is the perfect time to use what you have in the system. We NEED to evaluate what we have and make some decisions. 

Now craze, if you want to have a little fun....lets say the Sox are sellers, who would be your top players available? Not looking for a trade, just player availability based on what they could bring back.

Koji, AJ, Drew, Gomes, and Peavy could probably bring the best return from a contender IMO. I try and move Lackey to a team that would extend him more years, like The Angels, so he doesnt "retire". Im looking for a return that fills a need now (2104) AND will be part of the future as well. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

For a moment think of the Sox players that make you uncomfortable after this weekend series against a team that I feel should be below us in the standings.

The Indians truthfully are a better team than the Sox even though they split the series.

Their pen may not be quite as deep but the front four are good. Allen, Ax, Atch and Rcep. They match with Ue, Miller, Taz and BadHop.

Their lineup is better top to bottom.

The managers are about the same EXCEPT JF gave the Indians a gift run sending Workman out for the 7th.

Chisenhaul, Cabrera, Kipnis and Santana        Holt, Drew, Pedroia and Nap

Swisher, Bourn and David Murphy                   Nava, JBJ and Sizemore

Gomes                                                          AJ/Ross

Starting pitchers: Lack and Lester good---------------Peavy and Workman about what we have grown to expect.

The Indians have a better group of positional players than the Sox. 

So what players have to be moved:

Sizemore, Gomes, AJ or Ross, Peavy, Buch, Mujica or Capuano--You could also add Doubront and perhaps Nava--------I honestly don't think if you moved any of these guys it would have a negative impact on the quality of this team. 

You could probably get something for AJ, Peavy, Douby, maybe Cap, Gomes, Buch and  Mujica . I have a feeling Size and  Nava might pass through waivers

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think also if you are pulling a Billy Beane and start before other sellers--you could get the most from:

Lester, Ue, Lackey, Nap, AJ and dare I say Xander.

Who would be interested in Ortiz?

Obviously not everyone above would be traded.

There are plenty of contenders and pretenders out there.

The question is could you really get top prospects--ML ready Prospects not Suspects.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The problem with making a trade that would be worth it right now is most teams arent going to deal anyone good just yet. Even teams that are 10 games out of it. Once July rolls around talks will heat up. Actually, now is the perfect time to use what you have in the system. We NEED to evaluate what we have and make some decisions. 

Now craze, if you want to have a little fun....lets say the Sox are sellers, who would be your top players available? Not looking for a trade, just player availability based on what they could bring back.

Koji, AJ, Drew, Gomes, and Peavy could probably bring the best return from a contender IMO. I try and move Lackey to a team that would extend him more years, like The Angels, so he doesnt "retire". Im looking for a return that fills a need now (2104) AND will be part of the future as well. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think it is way too early to make a trade...and really who are you going to trade? Peavy? You could get something for him for sure..but then who's going to take his place in the rotation? Unless the existing Sox offense steps it up significantly then it makes no sense to trade away anyone of value for a short term gain. This team is not winning the World Series this year and right now our best offensive weapon seems to be a rookie utility player who happens to be hot at the moment.

On the other hand...did I hear that Middlebrooks is now taking balls in the outfield? Wonder if this mean Gomes or Nava could be on that trade list.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Were you asleep all last year?

I am fine with developing players and retooling for next year. It is what it is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am fine with developing players and retooling for next year. It is what it is.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This is a rebuilding year. They should not make any short-sighted moves that sacrifice 2015 and beyond to try to make a run in 2014. At the deadline, if there are moves that make sense in the long-term, then I expect them to go for it. But it has to be part of a strategy that's of-a-whole with the moves they hope to be making next winter in preparation for 2015. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When is enough enough? Very easy .... When those know nothing Boston fans jam Fenway park each and every year.Time to take control fans and show your pissed off ... Man up.. stay away Don't fill those seats and b..itch and moan we suck and management don't care. Would you care raking in MILLIONS ? If you blind fans didn't see this coming since Spring training. This years on you. Let MANGEMENT see empty seats and the fix will not be Sizemore, No hit Bradley  10 MIL rent a Drew, AARP catchers, Health insurance Victorino. up and down Nava and on and on......Had you have enough yet?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When is enough enough? Very easy .... When those know nothing Boston fans jam Fenway park each and every year.Time to take control fans and show your pissed off ... Man up.. stay away Don't fill those seats and b..itch and moan we suck and management don't care. Would you care raking in MILLIONS ? If you blind fans didn't see this coming since Spring training. This years on you. Let MANGEMENT see empty seats and the fix will not be Sizemore, No hit Bradley  10 MIL rent a Drew, AARP catchers, Health insurance Victorino. up and down Nava and on and on......Had you have enough yet?

[/QUOTE]

Normally you're creepy and awkward.....but I have to agree with you this time.  The FO HAD to see that SO MANY THINGS went right last year...things that RARELY happens.  To expect lightening in a bottle twice and with a payroll and fan interest like they have it is VERY sad that they kind of sit back and do nothing.  This whole 'let's watch the kids grow' garbage IS NOT FUN!!  Go see the Seadogs or Pawtucket if you want to see the kids....I'd rather have a MLB team that is in contention.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) We won last year with several "Dollar Store" players (Nava, for one, cost literally a dollar to acquire). Not many psoters here were thrilled with the Victorino, Napoli, Demspter and Drew signings either, yet we won.

2) Making a trade now is not easy. Not many teams have packed it in for this season and are looking to make major restructuring moves.

3) The types of trades made at this point of the season and even at the trade deadline are usually weighted towards the salary dump profile or the soon to lose to free agency profile players. Neither of these are the types of players we should be looking for, unless we get a quality younger player that is willing to extend as part of the trade agreement. I would not look to trade good prospects for 2-3 month rental players in hopes of repeating last year's magical championship run.

So, what is there to do? 

I'm almost thinking we should lean more towards being sellers than buyers (find a couple of rentals that can make us serious ring contenders) this deadline and into August, but we should know more by mid July.

We could try and play it both ways: only make a deal that can help us now and beyond 2015, such as trade for Stanton and extend him as part of the deal.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think it is way too early to make a trade...and really who are you going to trade? Peavy? You could get something for him for sure..but then who's going to take his place in the rotation? Unless the existing Sox offense steps it up significantly then it makes no sense to trade away anyone of value for a short term gain. This team is not winning the World Series this year and right now our best offensive weapon seems to be a rookie utility player who happens to be hot at the moment.

On the other hand...did I hear that Middlebrooks is now taking balls in the outfield? Wonder if this mean Gomes or Nava could be on that trade list.

[/QUOTE]
    And what would you expect to get for Gomes? I wouldn't give you an A player hitting .120!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

When you have a team that overachieves like the '13 bunch, you deal with the consequences the following year. 2014 is what was supposed to happen in 2013 and 2013 was what we hoped would happen some time in 2015 or 2016. We got a WS title and get to "Defending WS Champions." I say enjoy it while it lasts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When you have a team that overachieves like the '13 bunch, you deal with the consequences the following year. 2014 is what was supposed to happen in 2013 and 2013 was what we hoped would happen some time in 2015 or 2016. We got a WS title and get to "Defending WS Champions." I say enjoy it while it lasts.

[/QUOTE]

Isn't a little shameful to proclaim we are the "Defending WS Champs"?  In April and May, fine.  But we are sorry bunch.  Have some pride.  Let that title go now.  Does this look like a team defending ANYTHING right now?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

TONIGHT, around 11PM if they lose........I would be calling Ben into my office and tell him he needs to focus on 2015 and I want his preliminary plan presented and discussed with me and the board in 1 week.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Normally you're creepy and awkward.....but I have to agree with you this time.  The FO HAD to see that SO MANY THINGS went right last year...things that RARELY happens.  To expect lightening in a bottle twice and with a payroll and fan interest like they have it is VERY sad that they kind of sit back and do nothing.  This whole 'let's watch the kids grow' garbage IS NOT FUN!!  Go see the Seadogs or Pawtucket if you want to see the kids....I'd rather have a MLB team that is in contention.....

[/QUOTE]

Me creepy?, a little awkward yes , but more right then wrong. Agree with me more and you can jump on the band wagon and be one of the not so dumb posters on here .I know  whats right most of the time just say it in a different way.I feel sometimes to get through to posters you need a special brand of awkward. When I told you so and then it happens ...Yes I guess that's creepy

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Next 30 days will determine what happens to this team this year. Buyers or Sellers. With the 2nd Wildcard, this team is still not out of it.

A simple 5 game winning streak, will move them up in the standings, nobody is running away with anything at this point. That's another factor too.

Edit: 40 days.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Next 30 days will determine what happens to this team this year. Buyers or Sellers. With the 2nd Wildcard, this team is still not out of it.

So you want to wait until July 15th?  Most likely we will be 10 games under 500 and that gives us 2 weeks to work out a big deal.  Sure we could do a quick fire sales on last year contract guys like Gomes, AJP, Ross, etc but what kind of return will those guys bring to help us in 2015 + ?

EDIT:  40 days gives you even less time.  What do you really think is going to change between now and 40 days?  Unless they start another 7 game winning streak tonight we are quickly approaching the end......

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would not trade good prospects for a good impact player right now. Besides, we are probably more than one trade away from being a highly competitive team this fall.

I haven't given up on 2014 yet, but I'd only make a trade that helps us beyond this year too.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

The Sox will not be trading away prospects for players to help down the stretch. The Red Sox will be sellers. Gomes, AJ, Drew and maybe Lester.

If you have at least one eye, you can see that this team is going nowhere. And quoting WEEI, "And Stephen Drew has turned out to be the first total, no-arguments allowed whiff of the Ben Cherington era. "

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1) We won last year with several "Dollar Store" players (Nava, for one, cost literally a dollar to acquire). Not many psoters here were thrilled with the Victorino, Napoli, Demspter and Drew signings either, yet we won.

2) Making a trade now is not easy. Not many teams have packed it in for this season and are looking to make major restructuring moves.

3) The types of trades made at this point of the season and even at the trade deadline are usually weighted towards the salary dump profile or the soon to lose to free agency profile players. Neither of these are the types of players we should be looking for, unless we get a quality younger player that is willing to extend as part of the trade agreement. I would not look to trade good prospects for 2-3 month rental players in hopes of repeating last year's magical championship run.

So, what is there to do? 

I'm almost thinking we should lean more towards being sellers than buyers (find a couple of rentals that can make us serious ring contenders) this deadline and into August, but we should know more by mid July.

We could try and play it both ways: only make a deal that can help us now and beyond 2015, such as trade for Stanton and extend him as part of the deal.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Moon - We should know more by mid-July? What do you see on this team that makes you believe they can contend? They have 2nd worst record in AL, the are 12th in league in hitting. The Astros have a better chance than the Sox. Don't be blind.