When Victorino Returns, Carp will Return

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

When Victorino Returns, Carp will Return

The Red Sox don't really have a need for Mike Carp when Victorino returns. Their starting OF should be Sizemore in LF, Bradley in CF and Victorino in RF. If they need a LH bat off the bench, it will be Nava or Roberts. If Bradley gets sent down, it will be an insult to Red Sox fans everyhwere.

Lastly, can someone explain why after Roberts went 2 for 3 in his first 3 at bats last night, Carp pinch hit for him? They both are lefties right? One guy was in the game and was in a groove, at least for this game only right? The other guy had been sitting on the bench all night right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: When Victorino Returns, Carp will Return

I feel your pain, ADG.  I'm guessing Farrell has stats we don't have about Carp vs. the Yankees reliever--not, I hasten to add, the starter Nova against whom Roberts had the 2 hits. 

As for Bradley staying, that remains to be seen, obviously.  His defensive skills are apparent and prodigious, but what the Sox badly need right now is good hitting.  Bradley's OPS of .702 is almost identical to Bogaerts .703, but no one thinks Bogaerts isn't a much better hitter.  Carp and Nava, meanwhile, can't hit spit, but last year both hit well. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmo3of4. Show dmo3of4's posts

Roberts is a RH bat

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

The Red Sox don't really have a need for Mike Carp when Victorino returns. Their starting OF should be Sizemore in LF, Bradley in CF and Victorino in RF. If they need a LH bat off the bench, it will be Nava or Roberts. If Bradley gets sent down, it will be an insult to Red Sox fans everyhwere.

Lastly, can someone explain why after Roberts went 2 for 3 in his first 3 at bats last night, Carp pinch hit for him? They both are lefties right? One guy was in the game and was in a groove, at least for this game only right? The other guy had been sitting on the bench all night right?

Actually, Roberts bats from the right side.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

we are down on Carp this morn...because he struck out in a big situation last night...relax it's a long season

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

It's OK to question the moves, that is what we are here for !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

we are down on Carp this morn...because he struck out in a big situation last night...relax it's a long season

It isn't a matter of being down on Carp.  It's a matter of being up on JBJ and trying to find a spot for him.

Although it didn't work out the way we wanted it to, Carp had a very good AB in his only appearance, fouling off several good pitches.  You can't blame Carp for that loss.

However, when Victorino comes back someone is going to have to go and Carp may very well be that one.  The candidates for leaving are JThuggs - whom the FO is in love with because of his "intangibles", Nava, who is struggling this year but hit aorund .300 last year and the Sox are reluctant to give up on him as a #4-5 OF, and Carp, who, like Nava, can play the OF adequately well and has good splits.

Nava and Carp are almost interchangeable and I see Nava staying if only because his fan appeal may be the deciding factor.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

It isn't a matter of being down on Carp.  It's a matter of being up on JBJ and trying to find a spot for him.

Although it didn't work out the way we wanted it to, Carp had a very good AB in his only appearance, fouling off several good pitches.  You can't blame Carp for that loss.

However, when Victorino comes back someone is going to have to go and Carp may very well be that one.  The candidates for leaving are JThuggs - whom the FO is in love with because of his "intangibles", Nava, who is struggling this year but hit aorund .300 last year and the Sox are reluctant to give up on him as a #4-5 OF, and Carp, who, like Nava, can play the OF adequately well and has good splits.

Nava and Carp are almost interchangeable and I see Nava staying if only because his fan appeal may be the deciding factor.  

Nava is the better defender. Can switch it and has some "pop" in his bat. Not a lot, but some. Hes a more patient hitter, but is also older. 

I think Carp could bring back more if traded.

JBJ belongs here, even if he only plays 120 games. 

A lot will also depend on how Pedeys wrist is. If hes going to be out a while....

Robers and herrera can play both 3b and 2b, but do you want 2 reserves playing fulltime positions? Would they be willing to take a chance and promote a red hot Mookie Betts? Do they package up a couple players and make a trade? Sign Drew to play 2b?

If its only a 15 day DL thing, then were ok with what we have. I think once Vic returns, someone has to go and it shouldnt be JBJ. With some injuries, we could probably use more depth and Carp could bring that back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think this sample size is large enough to tell the story:

Since 2012, among MLB players with over 650 PAs vs RHPs, Nava places 11th with a .392 OBP and 36th with an .839 OPS. He's a keeper.

It should be Gomes or Carp that is dealt or magically needs to go on the DL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Bill is quickly approaching 18,000 posts. I think we should throw the genius a party. SLASHER, if you're out there, do you still have that photo from FULL METAL JACKET that you used last week? I think it would very appropo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Since 2012, among MLB players with over 650 PAs vs RHPs, Nava places 11th with a .392 OBP and 36th with an .839 OPS. He's a keeper.

I agree 1000%. I would elect Carp, but either one is OK by me. Hell, get rid of both of them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Interesting stat: Mike Carp is batting .000 when I'm watching. Seriously, I don't recall ever seeing him get a hit. And when he came up last night with the bases loaded, I'd have bet both sons' college fund that he'd go down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Gomes wont go because hes the one true RHB out there, amongst other reasons.

if it were between carp and Gomes?  Later Mike.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He also had a decent at bat.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Interesting stat: Mike Carp is batting .000 when I'm watching. Seriously, I don't recall ever seeing him get a hit. And when he came up last night with the bases loaded, I'd have bet both sons' college fund that he'd go down.

He got a 2 run single on saturday to cut it to 6-4. But has done very little. His days are getting shorter and shorter though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

However with his struggles it could be Nava that needs a break to reset. Even in is good games he looks out of sorts. I think we saw something. Carp playing third. Roberts might be sent down and Carp is the back up at third until Middlebrooks gets back.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

He also had a decent at bat.

On that final at bat??

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think it's great to have the discussion because a month ago it was apparent Bradley was headed for Pawtucket.  Now Farrell and Ben C have to make a decision thanks to Bradley's good play. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Carp and Nava, meanwhile, can't hit spit, but last year both hit well. 

Carp had a .385 BABIP last year, with a 67/22 K/W.  Nava had a .352 with a 93/51 K/W.  I think Nava's success is more sustainable.  And I trust Nava at 1st more than I trust Carp in RF.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

Why would u ever sacrafice JBJR for the sake of getting at-bats for Nava or Carp? 

Nava rates to hit much better than JBJ, but the fielding may tilt the balance to JBJ anyways. Once Vic comes back though, I'm hoping we keep JBJ in CF and move Grady to LF, but if we put JBJ in LF, his defense is minimized. In that case, a normal to hot Nava would probably be a better choice than JBJ in Fenway's LF.

I like the idea of having JBJ, Grady and Vic as our starting OF. Grady and Vic will need time off, so Nava or Gomes will still get a good share of PAs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

Do u see Nava holding down LF or 1B the next 5 years? I don't. JBJR should not suffer Nava or Bomes or Carp, not for a single AB.

[object HTMLDivElement]

In theory, I agree, but if we stay in the race for a ring, we need to have our best team out on the field as much as possible. I happen to agree that JBJ should be part of that daily team almost every day , but there may be times, especially against particular pitchers that either Nava or Gomes playing in LF might make us a better team on paper.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sections
Shortcuts