1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

When will the Red Sox get their identity back?

Somewhere after 2004 (maybe before 2007), after Pedro/ManRam/Papi/Millar/Damon/Foulke, the Sox lost their identity. 

At first they tried to become the NY Yankees by throwing huge dollars at Beckett, Lackey, AGonz, CC, Schilling.  Then they became the injury prone/drama filled/find new ways to lose, NY Mets, fittingly with Bobby V at the helm.  Now, in the wake of the second biggest trade of the Century (behind Ruth), they have become the Florida/Miami Marlins, shedding thier best player and other high priced guys off their roster.

What team will they be next?  What will it take for this team to get back some of those likeable personalities a la Damon/Millar/Mueller/Pedro et al. ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: When will the Red Sox get their identity back?

In Response to When will the Red Sox get their identity back?:
    Somewhere after 2004 (maybe before 2007), after Pedro/ManRam/Papi/Millar/Damon/Foulke, the Sox lost their identity.  At first they tried to become the NY Yankees by throwing huge dollars at Beckett, Lackey, AGonz, CC, Schilling.  Then they became the injury prone/drama filled/find new ways to lose, NY Mets , fittingly with Bobby V at the helm.  Now, in the wake of the second biggest trade of the Century (behind Ruth), they have become the Florida/Miami Marlins , shedding thier best player and other high priced guys off their roster. What team will they be next?  What will it take for this team to get back some of those likeable personalities a la Damon/Millar/Mueller/Pedro et al. ?
    Posted by lucdufour
    Thyey could bring Pedro back as pitching coach for a start.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Identity today starts and ends with Pedroia. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They are a lot different from the Marlins. They still have the $$ to field a top notch team...Difference is they have to spend it more wisely and i would bet they will, starting this offseason. I just read someone say they will be a 4th place doormat for the next few years...To me, thats laughable. Folks who think it will be years before this team is competitive again apparently dont understand that this is NOT a low budget team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: When will the Red Sox get their identity back?:
    They are a lot different from the Marlins. They still have the $$ to field a top notch team...Difference is they have to spend it more wisely and i would bet they will, starting this offseason. I just read someone say they will be a 4th place doormat for the next few years...To me, thats laughable. Folks who think it will be years before this team is competitive again apparently dont understand that this is NOT a low budget team.
    Posted by southpaw777
    Exactly.
    On another thread Henry is being accused of "dismantling" the Sox. In some eyes, Henry has committed the unpardonable sin of becoming wealthy. ( I am as uncomfortable with right-wing clap trap as with left-wing clap trap. ) He has spent and made a ton of money on the franchise, and come out ahead. That is good business. It's laughable to accuse him of being anything but generous with this team. Witness the three contracts now residing in LA. With those contracts aboard, the team has a miserable record since last September first. The investment wasn't paying off. Henry and Company decided to divest themselves of the heaviest financial baggage. If reports are true, the cost of divestment was 12 million dollars. That's close to robbery.
    If Henry and Company made this move because they are getting ready to sell and wanted to remove bloated contracts, that, too, would be a good business move. It's their team. They bought it, and they can sell it. In the meantime, under this ownership, for about a decade, the Sox were a competitive team and won the WS twice. You have to go back to the early part of the 20th Century to find anything comparable. 
    I doubt that this ownership has any intention of allowing this franchise to sink into sclerotic mediocrity. How they intend to avoid that fate remains to be seen. And their efforts may fail. Or moves may not pay off right away. If so, fans will just have to hold their horses until winning horses are in place again. It is pointless to moralize about the motives of the ownership. Or to gnash teeth.
    It's done. 
    What's new is now the question. That will be seen soon enough in addition to the good move the FO just made. More surprises may be store during the next five weeks and the offseason. Maybe not big surprises but more moves. 
    Let's see what happens before writing off the team "for years to come," or even for 2103, for that matter, until the dust settles. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

How many times and how many people have mentioned that this team needed to start over.  As Enchilada mentioned, it starts and ends with Pedy but more that that there are young players on this team that can put their stamp on things as well.  Middlebrooks, Lava......if they can sink their teeth into this team I like the future.  Teams like Tampa have become the models but the RS have the resourses to take that model a step further.  I have a feeling that this team is about to get really young and full of players that play ball to play ball. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Identity? Fenway will continue to be a hot ticket. Why? Because what lies ahead promoses to be a lot more fun than it has been. Personally, I'd see Gomez gatting his first home run, and then find out he needs to learn a little about base running, than watching Beckett's sloe, but sure, decline to the point he becomes a bullpen fill-in (which is whewee he's headed).

This is going to be fun!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: When will the Red Sox get their identity back?:
    In Response to Re: When will the Red Sox get their identity back? : Exactly. On another thread Henry is being accused of "dismantling" the Sox. In some eyes, Henry has committed the unpardonable sin of becoming wealthy. ( I am as uncomfortable with right-wing clap trap as with left-wing clap trap. ) He has spent and made a ton of money on the franchise, and come out ahead. That is good business. It's laughable to accuse him of being anything but generous with this team. Witness the three contracts now residing in LA. With those contracts aboard, the team has a miserable record since last September first. The investment wasn't paying off. Henry and Company decided to divest themselves of the heaviest financial baggage. If reports are true, the cost of divestment was 12 million dollars. That's close to robbery. If Henry and Company made this move because they are getting ready to sell and wanted to remove bloated contracts, that, too, would be a good business move. It's their team. They bought it, and they can sell it. In the meantime, under this ownership, for about a decade, the Sox were a competitive team and won the WS twice. You have to go back to the early part of the 20th Century to find anything comparable.  I doubt that this ownership has any intention of allowing this franchise to sink into sclerotic mediocrity. How they intend to avoid that fate remains to be seen. And their efforts may fail. Or moves may not pay off right away. If so, fans will just have to hold their horses until winning horses are in place again. It is pointless to moralize about the motives of the ownership. Or to gnash teeth. It's done.  What's new is now the question. That will be seen soon enough in addition to the good move the FO just made. More surprises may be store during the next five weeks and the offseason. Maybe not big surprises but more moves.  Let's see what happens before writing off the team "for years to come," or even for 2103, for that matter, until the dust settles. 
    Posted by expitch

Then the whiners, complainers, and rush-to-judgement fans would not have anything to do. Seriously, to think that this team would be a "4th place doormat"  for a few years because of these moves is just spitting venom IMO, and doesnt realize whats right in front of them. They had all these top players that were def paid like it and RIGHT NOW, as constructed, are a 4th place doormat!!! After almost exactly 1 year of the same kind of over-priced players resulting in mediocre play something NEEDED to be done, and thankfully it was. Henry and Co. have shown no indication that they will go on the cheap. They will spend $$, but not as foolishly as they have. Its NOT only about the individual player and his stats, but about the right FIT for Boston and the TEAM as a whole. The FO got away from that after the 2007 WS. Time to get back to DirtDog baseball in Boston!!! The way it should be...

9. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts