When you pinch run for one of your best hitters don't you do one of two things???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

When you pinch run for one of your best hitters don't you do one of two things???

I'm sorry but when Youkillas was pinch run for with no outs and a man on first doesn't that mean you either you steal or hit and run? Right? I don't get it. On Tuesday night they are down by one run and you get a man on first and you don't get him to second? That really pi_ _ed me off. I don't get it. Shouldn't Fancona have at least used Sutton to hit and run and avoid the double play? Man I was pi_ _d. Since they didn't do either of those then leave Youk in the game. Bad strategy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Re: When you pinch run for one of your best hitters don't you do one of two things???

In Response to When you pinch run for one of your best hitters don't you do one of two things???:
    I'm sorry but when Youkillas was pinch run for with no outs and a man on first doesn't that mean you either you steal or hit and run? Right? I don't get it. On Tuesday night they are down by one run and you get a man on first and you don't get him to second? That really pi_ _ed me off. I don't get it. Shouldn't Fancona have at least used Sutton to hit and run and avoid the double play? Man I was pi_ _d. Since they didn't do either of those then leave Youk in the game. Bad strategy.
    Posted by jaytf25

Jay, you're a man after my own heart and you just made a friend on this board.  i said the same thing on Sawxheads last night, but this is typical Francona and his station-to-station mantra.  He is very reluctant to move runners and still hasn't learned it might be the best move since we have a reputation for rally killing double plays.  He did this in the Angels series back in April in an extra inning game that he was totally responsible for our losing it.  To be sure, I do not think much of Francona's on field managing.  Two pitches before he did it I said to myself that Ortiz would hit into a double play and sure enough he did.  He should have moved Sutton, but apparently he was in just in case Papi hit a long extra base hit.  Not bad strategy, stupid strategy that I have come to expect out of him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

Re: When you pinch run for one of your best hitters don't you do one of two things???

In Response to Re: When you pinch run for one of your best hitters don't you do one of two things???:
    In Response to When you pinch run for one of your best hitters don't you do one of two things??? : Jay, you're a man after my own heart and you just made a friend on this board.  i said the same thing on Sawxheads last night, but this is typical Francona and his station-to-station mantra.  He is very reluctant to move runners and still hasn't learned it might be the best move since we have a reputation for rally killing double plays.  He did this in the Angels series back in April in an extra inning game that he was totally responsible for our losing it.  To be sure, I do not think much of Francona's on field managing.  Two pitches before he did it I said to myself that Ortiz would hit into a double play and sure enough he did.  He should have moved Sutton, but apparently he was in just in case Papi hit a long extra base hit.  Not bad strategy, stupid strategy that I have come to expect out of him.
    Posted by seabeachfred

Well Fred, this is Savin Hill from the Sawxheads forum. We are going to have a tough time this upcoming 9 game series in NL parks. Francona is going to have to manage a different way and I don't think he is up to it. It is a whole different strategy when the pitcher hits.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: When you pinch run for one of your best hitters don't you do one of two things???:
    In Response to Re: When you pinch run for one of your best hitters don't you do one of two things??? : Well Fred, this is Savin Hill from the Sawxheads forum. We are going to have a tough time this upcoming 9 game series in NL parks. Francona is going to have to manage a different way and I don't think he is up to it. It is a whole different strategy when the pitcher hits.
    Posted by PaulLaCourse
    Haven't we done pretty well in NL parks with Francona as manager? Nothing succeeds like success.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A silly OP.

Francona pinch-ran for Youk to give the Sox a chance to tie if Ortiz got a double.  The worst thing he could do was to send the runner to second for a steal or a hit and run because stealing is not Sutton's strength and hit and run is not Ortiz's.  Moreover, he wanted to keep the bat in Ortiz's hands because the next hitter was J.D. Drew.  And, FWIW, the team leader in GIDP (grounded into a double play) is someone named Gonzalez.  Sometimes even great hitters help the defense. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

My issue with Tito's pinch-running for guys like Youk and Gonzo in a situation like that is that he's putting too many eggs in one basket.  If he's successful that's wonderful, but if his strategy isn't successful either 1) The Sox lose, or 2) the team is without a power hitter in extra innings and he's weakened the defense. 
    Very, very seldom would I run for either Youk or Gonzales, and even then only if the game were tied.  The best MLB hitters are only successful ~1 time out of three and removing a power hitter from the game knowing that the person next up is twice as likely to make an out as to get a hit isn't worth the gamble.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Youk wasn't about to score on a double with his bum ankle and Ortiz isn't someone who you want to just put the ball in play on a hit and run as opposed to what he normally offers the offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thanks for saving me from typing Max and JB....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I sense this upcoming NL road trip will be disaterous. If we win 2 we will be lucky. Too many injuries and our mojo is sinking into one of our patented losing streaks. Not too worry, it will be followed by one of our again patented winning streaks. I see this whole thing coming down to the yankems and us, with the AL East loser winning the Wild Card. Novel prediction, huh?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

A silly OP. Francona pinch-ran for Youk to give the Sox a chance to tie if Ortiz got a double.  The worst thing he could do was to send the runner to second for a steal or a hit and run because stealing is not Sutton's strength and hit and run is not Ortiz's.  Moreover, he wanted to keep the bat in Ortiz's hands because the next hitter was J.D. Drew.  And, FWIW, the team leader in GIDP (grounded into a double play) is someone named Gonzalez.  Sometimes even great hitters help the defense. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

wow, this wasnt even a good attempt at spin...OF COURSE you can expect Papi to get a double rather than trying to get the guy in scoring position with a steal and a base hit...

honest to God this deserves some BOOTLICKING AWARD...congrats

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Youk has been limping and shown other signs of leg troubles recently...don't you think maybe Tito pinch-ran for him primarily just to get him off the field so he doesn't wear out too much?

He's shown a willingness to do that in the past, so it may not have been for anything beyond that.

Don't get me started though about his willingness to pinch-run Sutton for one of the big sluggers (Ortiz, Gonzo) in a game that's tied late...half the time, it goes to extras, and eventually Sutton comes up in a key situation and fails in it. Does he really offer THAT much of a speed upgrade to try and score the go ahead run? I say nay...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think they should have had him steal followed by intentionally walking Ortiz.  I think it's good to take the bat out of one of the team's best hitters when he's followed by one of the team's worst hitters.

And regarding games in the NL, I think the Red Sox should completely abandon their style of play and try to play the NL style of baseball.  They should expect players like Ortiz to automatically turn into the prototypical NL pinch hitter.

After all, the Red Sox have traditionally performed poorly against NL teams.

Sections
Shortcuts