When Youk is activited, Punto should go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go

In Response to When Youk is activited, Punto should go:
    [QUOTE]None of this nonse of sending Middlebrooks back when Youk returns. Get rid of Punto. These cheap money acquisitions by the Red Sox are exactly that, cheap garbage. You can put McDonald in that class also. Play someone from AAA. At this point, player development is more important than Nick Punto and DMac.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

I understand your point and agree but thats the problem here in Boston.  We have Youk, Salty and Shoppach playing the same positions as our best prospects.  I think next season will much more realistic for the kids.  I also think one of the reasons Lav has been struggling at AAA is because he had hope "before" Shoppach was signed he may be on the big club this season.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to When Youk is activited, Punto should go:
    [QUOTE]None of this nonse of sending Middlebrooks back when Youk returns. Get rid of Punto. These cheap money acquisitions by the Red Sox are exactly that, cheap garbage. You can put McDonald in that class also. Play someone from AAA. At this point, player development is more important than Nick Punto and DMac.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]
    Here is the problem with your post. 1) How are swapping the UIF and 5 Ofer for young guys going to help young guys development? No one develops with 6 AB a week. 2) Punto is a utility infielder, he can play all over the infield. Youk is a third baseman as  is Middlebrooks. Who backes up short? 3) What are your expectations of your defensive-minded utility infielder? 4) The Sox are so thin at outfield with 3 of 6 outfielders with real Major Leauge expeirnce they had to trade for Byrd so McDonald, who lately has been getting less AB, has to get an occassionaly start. Remember once Ellsbury and Crawford get back McDonald will be gone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

punto has played in 1/2 the games Roy, and he is hitting below the mendoza line at .148

we really cant do better by giving Iggy a shot? how would you like to have this guy in your lineup if you were a starting pitcher or batting in front/behind him?\

if you cant jettison this guy, then who can you send packing? are these relatives of yours or something?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

How about Ciriaco over Punto ? At least he would add some excitement and spark.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go : The problem with your post is that it's too cliche-ridden. Team plays with no passion. What the he!! does that mean in baseball. I haven't seen lack of hustle on the bases. In fact, baserunning has been pretty good overall. I haven't seen lack of hustle in the field. Just because guys aren't hitting in the clutch, it doesn't mean they're not working hard. Who is Punto holding back. He's a utility IF who plays once or twice a week. It's idiotic to say he's holding back a young player. All the players you mentioned weren't being held back because of Punto. One of the reasons the "lack of passion" attitude exists now is because of the recent lack of hitting. So Iggy going 0-for-4  with three Ks is going to bring some kind of passion to the game. Aviles has been one of the productive players so far this year and has played pretty good defense. The "we should have kept Iggy" attitude is confusing. Whatever problems the team has right now isn't defense at SS and Iggy's bat would certainly add to the problems at the plate. Ross has made some bone-head defensive plays, but he's played hard, hit well and what young player is he holding back. What young player is Sweeney holding back. Or Byrd. the reason all three of them are playing so much is because of injuries. Middlebrooks is here. I like him. But Youk was playing w/o passion? Really? He just wasn't hitting. So if Middlebrooks, who has started strong, goes cold, does that mean he's not playing with passion? I wanted Lavarnway over Shoppach but he's getting more playing time in Triple-A.  If you wanted Lavarnway over Salty, well fine. Salty's defense is a concern. So OK, Lavarnway should have stayed. But if he stayed, he should be the starter. I don't think it would have done Lavarnway any good to stay and sit half the time. But Salty is hardly a  veteran  holding back a young kid. So stop with the generalities and cliches andf be specific, who are these old players who are lazy and holding back which young kid?  Baseball isn't football or basketball or hockey where lack of production can often be traced back to lack of hustle.  More effort isn't going to make you hit better in a slump or pitch better. In fact, it can do the opposite. Aceves scked in his first two outings because he was throwing too hard. Crawford was supposed to be the hardest-working player last year in the batting cage but he scked.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    Exactly, point for point.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]punto has played in 1/2 the games Roy, and he is hitting below the mendoza line at .148 we really cant do better by giving Iggy a shot? how would you like to have this guy in your lineup if you were a starting pitcher or batting in front/behind him?\ if you cant jettison this guy, then who can you send packing? are these relatives of yours or something?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Punto's playing time is about 28% that of a full-time player like Pedroia.  And that number is inflated due to Youk's injuries.  If you replace Punto with Iglesias, you're setting his ceiling as a utility player, late-inning defensive player, and you're feeding him to the wolves putting him in the box against MLB pitching right now.  If you show patience with him, he has the opportunity to become a very good everyday shortstop.  He's not going to improve in any capacity as a 28% player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go : Punto's playing time is about 28% that of a full-time player like Pedroia.  And that number is inflated due to Youk's injuries.  If you replace Punto with Iglesias, you're setting his ceiling as a utility player, late-inning defensive player, and you're feeding him to the wolves putting him in the box against MLB pitching right now.  If you show patience with him, he has the opportunity to become a very good everyday shortstop.  He's not going to improve in any capacity as a 28% player.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

i didnt realize the purpose of the red sox was to develop players so that they appear ready for success rather than contribute to the team's success...good to know....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go : The problem with your post is that it's too cliche-ridden. Team plays with no passion. What the he!! does that mean in baseball. I haven't seen lack of hustle on the bases. In fact, baserunning has been pretty good overall. I haven't seen lack of hustle in the field. Just because guys aren't hitting in the clutch, it doesn't mean they're not working hard. Who is Punto holding back. He's a utility IF who plays once or twice a week. It's idiotic to say he's holding back a young player. All the players you mentioned weren't being held back because of Punto. One of the reasons the "lack of passion" attitude exists now is because of the recent lack of hitting. So Iggy going 0-for-4  with three Ks is going to bring some kind of passion to the game. Aviles has been one of the productive players so far this year and has played pretty good defense. The "we should have kept Iggy" attitude is confusing. Whatever problems the team has right now isn't defense at SS and Iggy's bat would certainly add to the problems at the plate. Ross has made some bone-head defensive plays, but he's played hard, hit well and what young player is he holding back. What young player is Sweeney holding back. Or Byrd. the reason all three of them are playing so much is because of injuries. Middlebrooks is here. I like him. But Youk was playing w/o passion? Really? He just wasn't hitting. So if Middlebrooks, who has started strong, goes cold, does that mean he's not playing with passion? I wanted Lavarnway over Shoppach but he's getting more playing time in Triple-A.  If you wanted Lavarnway over Salty, well fine. Salty's defense is a concern. So OK, Lavarnway should have stayed. But if he stayed, he should be the starter. I don't think it would have done Lavarnway any good to stay and sit half the time. But Salty is hardly a  veteran  holding back a young kid. So stop with the generalities and cliches andf be specific, who are these old players who are lazy and holding back which young kid?  Baseball isn't football or basketball or hockey where lack of production can often be traced back to lack of hustle.  More effort isn't going to make you hit better in a slump or pitch better. In fact, it can do the opposite. Aceves scked in his first two outings because he was throwing too hard. Crawford was supposed to be the hardest-working player last year in the batting cage but he scked.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

You need a team that their contracts are up at the end of the year and i'll show you a winner....More effort will not make you play better? So you think Sox are busting their AZZ  to lose.....Wade Boggs wasted time in the minors because of veteran 3rd baseman... Remember????

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go : i didnt realize the purpose of the red sox was to develop players so that they appear ready for success rather than contribute to the team's success...good to know....

And when Aviles is gone, and Iglesias is struggling to hit MLB pitching, you will be OK with it because you will have warm memories of the time he pinch-ran in the 8th inning of a three run game in May of 2012.  Right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go : And when Aviles is gone, and Iglesias is struggling to hit MLB pitching, you will be OK with it because you will have warm memories of the time he pinch-ran in the 8th inning of a three run game in May of 2012.  Right?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

no one will miss Punto. No One.
    play the youngsters and give this team some youth and hope...we are wallowing in the mire to quote the rev. jim m.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Roy, apparently we are all making this up....maybe you should get off bdc a bit and read outside of this closed world....common sense usually prevails when dogma is replaced with reason

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view.bg?articleid=1061129519&srvc=sports&position=2

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The OP is typically ignorant.  Punto is a back up, period.  You have to have a fifth infielder on your roster.  He has played more than substitute games because he bats from the left side, plus Youk has not hit that well so far. 

Middlebrooks is obviously way better than Punto but is more valuable to the Sox at Pawtucket once Youk returns so that he can play everyday.  Middlebrooks is probably a good bet to return to the Sox  this year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

He should not have been there to start with. I have known the Red Sox since childhood (Ted Williams days) and they have always scraped the bottom of the barrel to obtain garbage like this. It has never been any different and never will be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

max thinks middlebrooks needs to return to AAA so that youk/punto can do what???

btw, he just hit a grand slam in the middle of the sentence...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go : And when Aviles is gone, and Iglesias is struggling to hit MLB pitching, you will be OK with it because you will have warm memories of the time he pinch-ran in the 8th inning of a three run game in May of 2012.  Right?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Look at it this way ! If the over paid veterans are going to lose ,might as well let the kids play. Could they lose any worse.If your  in AAA and your major team stinks wouldn't you like a shot ??? Go ahead and say NO !!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Right now I would be very reluctant to let Middlebrooks go back to Pawtucket even though that is the plan and a good one. 

The problem is that Middlebrooks and Youk can't both play 3B.  If Middlebrooks plays--he's hitting and fielding better than Youk was--you have a $13M player, age 33 (hardly over the hill)--riding the pine.  Youk also can't sub at 1B or DH because both of those guys are hitting better than he is. 

If Middlebrooks sits, he is wasted, plus he isn't as versatile as Punto is as the only backup infielder. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]punto has played in 1/2 the games Roy, and he is hitting below the mendoza line at .148 we really cant do better by giving Iggy a shot? how would you like to have this guy in your lineup if you were a starting pitcher or batting in front/behind him?\ if you cant jettison this guy, then who can you send packing? are these relatives of yours or something?

Punto played in a few more games than he should have because Youk couldn't stay healthy. And what did the Sox do? They brought Middlebrooks up. So Punto wasn't keeping a young kid down.

Andf ine, get rid of Punto and pick up another UT infielder because that's not Iggy's role. In case you haven't noticed, Aviles is standing in Iggy's way right now. If Iggy comes up, he needs to play. Sitting on the bench isn't going to help him develop as a hitter. You don't like a .148-hitting utility IF. (Neither do I, by the way). So how would you like a .148-hitting starting SS.

I can't believe you don't realize how stupid it sounds to say that Punto is standing in Iggy's way. I have no problem with bringing up the kids when they're ready. I've already said I have not problem with Lavarnway coming up, and Middlebrooks is here. Iggy went 2-for-3 today and is batting .253. If he can consistently hit like that, then fine -- bring him up (I've said that all year), cut Punto and move Aviles to UT if he starts to fall off. But Iggy hasn't shown he's ready to hit at the MLB level. Whatever the problems the Sox are having, starting Aviles at SS instead of a weak-hitting Iggy isn't one of them.

But you didn't answer the question? Who are the other lazy veterans standing in front of a kid ready to play?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go : Roy, apparently we are all making this up....maybe you should get off bdc a bit and read outside of this closed world....common sense usually prevails when dogma is replaced with reason http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view.bg?articleid=1061129519&srvc=sports&position=2

Referencing an article that you simply parrot isn't answering the question.

What specifically has specific individuals done or not done that shows they're not playing hard. Who?

Buch scked again today. What does drivel about not having any energy have to do with him piching like crp. Why don't you get off bdc and do some thinking so you can put some actual content in your posts

Saying team lacks engery and there's no heart of whatever other lame cliches you want to use means nothing. Guess what? You can say that about all losing teams.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go :  You need a team that their contracts are up at the end of the year and i'll show you a winner....More effort will not make you play better? So you think Sox are busting their AZZ  to lose.....Wade Boggs wasted time in the minors because of veteran 3rd baseman... Remember????
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

(bold statement)That's right. It's called pressing. So tell me. Crawford by all reports was taking extra batting practice and working his butt off all last year. How did that help him? He stuck nearly all year.

Do you really think that teams lose simply because they're not working hard -- that there's not the reason?

And Youk is in a contract year -- so how's that worked out for him?

And OK -- what veteran was standing in Boggs' way? Oh yeah, when Boggs was 23 in 1981 and still in Triple-A, the veteran who kept Boggs in the minors was 24-year-old Carney Lansford who, I don't know, was just winning a batting crown that year. Wow, what an over-the-hill bum. 

Try picking a better example.

And in case you haven't read my posts -- I have no problem bringing up the kids when they're ready so how the point about Boggs is applicable is beyond me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go : (bold statement)That's right. It's called pressing. So tell me. Crawford by all reports was taking extra batting practice and working his butt off all last year. How did that help him? He stuck nearly all year. Do you really think that teams lose simply because they're not working hard -- that there's not the reason? And Youk is in a contract year -- so how's that worked out for him? And OK -- what veteran was standing in Boggs' way? Oh yeah, when Boggs was 23 in 1981 and still in Triple-A, the veteran who kept Boggs in the minors was 24-year-old Carney Lansford who, I don't know, was just winning a batting crown that year. Wow, what an over-the-hill bum.  Try picking a better example. And in case you haven't read my posts -- I have no problem bringing up the kids when they're ready so how the point about Boggs is applicable is beyond me.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]Thank you

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Interesting points about Boggs.

But anyway, Punto stinks and should be released.  McDonald should split cab fare out of town with him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting points about Boggs. But anyway, Punto stinks and should be released.  McDonald should split cab fare out of town with him.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

And fine -- release Punto. The Sox would still need a utility IF. That's been my point. Punto isn't blocking any prospect.

As for McDonald, I would hope you realize that the only reason he has a job is because of injuries to Crawford and Ellsbury.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Even with injuries - there has to be a young guy at AAA who would benefit greatly by playing - and I think he could hit .147 and pitch occassionally just like McDonald.

Aviles is the utility guy.

IF should be: 

1B:  Agone the loser
    2B Pedroia
    SS Inglesias
    3B Middlebrooks
    C- Lavarnaway

Let them play the next 100 games or so.  You aren't making the playoffs anyhow.

Sections
Shortcuts