When Youk is activited, Punto should go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

When Youk is activited, Punto should go

None of this nonse of sending Middlebrooks back when Youk returns. Get rid of Punto. These cheap money acquisitions by the Red Sox are exactly that, cheap garbage. You can put McDonald in that class also. Play someone from AAA. At this point, player development is more important than Nick Punto and DMac.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go

I totally agree with this, unfortunately the owners probably wont be so willing to just throw that money away then spend more on paying AAA kids more for being in the bigs. The Sox have the money for it and just very well may have to if things continue as it is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

What's the point of having Youk and Middlebrooks on the same roster? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

AViles stinks! Punto was signed to be UIF'er bench guy. Aviles as an everyday SS starter is truly a bad joke. While there is still some somke and mirrors small sample haze, try and convnince some stupid GM like Inepstein that Aviles can save the Cubs in exchange for a B rated prospect.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In response to "When Youk is activited, Punto should go":
    None of this nonse of sending Middlebrooks back when Youk returns. Get rid of Punto. These cheap money acquisitions by the Red Sox are exactly that, cheap garbage. You can put McDonald in that class also. Play someone from AAA. At this point, player development is more important than Nick Punto and DMac. Posted by ADG
    Player development is more important? Do kids develop well playing 10% of the time? Do WMB or Youk play 2B or SS? Just wondering what happens if Pedey or Aviles can't finish out a game. Cheap bench players are necessary parts for every team, get over it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I don't think ADG really understands baseball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Punto is an absolute joke - to have him on your roster is to admit two things:

1.  You have no intention on finishing over .500

and

2.  You have the worst farm system in baseball; incapable of producing a young player better than Punto

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go":
    AViles stinks! Punto was signed to be UIF'er bench guy. Aviles as an everyday SS starter is truly a bad joke. While there is still some somke and mirrors small sample haze, try and convnince some stupid GM like Inepstein that Aviles can save the Cubs in exchange for a B rated prospect. Posted by hankwilliamsjr
    You lost me at "Aviles stinks". Sorry, please play again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Punto is useless.  He can't field but beyond that he has no chance of contributing as a hitter.    I mean the guy gets up and he is like pitcher getting four at bats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go:
    Punto is an absolute joke - to have him on your roster is to admit two things: 1.  You have no intention on finishing over .500 and 2.  You have the worst farm system in baseball; incapable of producing a young player better than Punto
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

You do realize Nick Punto got a World Series ring last year, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go : You do realize Nick Punto got a World Series ring last year, right?
    Posted by notin

I forgot - he was critical to the world series champs - incredible player.  Probably should have been the WS MVP and certainly one of the best IF of all time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: When Youk is activited, Punto should go : I forgot - he was critical to the world series champs - incredible player.  Probably should have been the WS MVP and certainly one of the best IF of all time.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

I believe you said any team that puts him on their roster had no intention of finishing above .500 and had , and I quote "the worst farm system."  Clearly, this is not the case because he is a small role player, something that escaped you.

You made no indication that the utility infielder was not performing, and had to be an incredible player.   And then you go and get even more sarcastic and contradict yourself even further.   

He's a utility infielder.  Get over it.  If you think Nick Punto is even a slight part of the problem, you are clearly not watching the part of the games where the Sox are - subtle hint coming here - pitching.

The bench won't have all stars, and doesn't need them.  Quit whining about them. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I must admit I was a bit surprised we signed Punto for 2 years.

I think the philosophy was that Youk and Middlebrooks would never be on the same roster, and the only way Iggy and Aviles would be on the same roster for an extended time would be by injury. That leaves room for a decent fielding utility guy like Punto. Nick can also play OF in a pinch.

As notin said, Nick is not even close to the issue for this team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Besides a lot of other things, catching is certainly being added to the problems.

I REALLY think it's time for Lav.  The game changed drastically after Salty's passed ball led to Cook's injury.  Is Lavarnway really any worse defensively??

I don't know who looks more inept...Salty behind the plate or Ross in LF.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

For all the it's only early May and wait for the injured to return folks, sorry but it's time to put the for sale sign up. Pedroia, Middlebrooks and Lavarnway are keepers. All the other stiffs on the roster and prospects in the Sox farm system should be made available for trades. This team is a bunch of overrated, overpaid, disinteresed and underperforming pampered princes. The team has no soul and it's not a likeable team. Time to drain-the-swamp, this dog doesn't hunt!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to When Youk is activited, Punto should go:
    None of this nonse of sending Middlebrooks back when Youk returns. Get rid of Punto. These cheap money acquisitions by the Red Sox are exactly that, cheap garbage. You can put McDonald in that class also. Play someone from AAA. At this point, player development is more important than Nick Punto and DMac.
    Posted by ADG

You are so right... I'm so sick and tired of hearing that very good AAA players need to stay in AAA to get some good at bats or pitch lots of innings. What that really means is that they can't let some over priced veteran stinking up the joint lose his job to a up and coming very good rookie.Maybe if they put those rookies in some games it might just light a fire under those overpaid veterans who can't lose their jobs .Right now i believe the fans in Boston would rather see very good kids busting their butts then the sloppy over priced veterans just there to collect a whopping pay check.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

What's the point of having Youk and Middlebrooks on the same roster? 
    Posted by slomag

They both are good right handed hitters.  Isn't it wise to have as many good hitters on your team as possible?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In Response to When Youk is activited, Punto should go : You are so right... I'm so sick and tired of hearing that very good AAA players need to stay in AAA to get some good at bats or pitch lots of innings. What that really means is that they can't let some over priced veteran stinking up the joint lose his job to a up and coming very good rookie.Maybe if they put those rookies in some games it might just light a fire under those overpaid veterans who can't lose their jobs .Right now i believe the fans in Boston would rather see very good kids busting their butts then the sloppy over priced veterans just there to collect a whopping pay check.
    Posted by donrd4
    Agreed don.  Let the younger guys get some experience and see if they are the real deal.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Cool

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to When Youk is activited, Punto should go : You are so right... I'm so sick and tired of hearing that very good AAA players need to stay in AAA to get some good at bats or pitch lots of innings. What that really means is that they can't let some over priced veteran stinking up the joint lose his job to a up and coming very good rookie.Maybe if they put those rookies in some games it might just light a fire under those overpaid veterans who can't lose their jobs .Right now i believe the fans in Boston would rather see very good kids busting their butts then the sloppy over priced veterans just there to collect a whopping pay check.
    Posted by donrd4

So are you saying, given what you responded to, that thisteam needs to replace bench players with prospects?

It's a Punto thread, and the post mentioned McDonald.   These guys are not the problem...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1975game6. Show 1975game6's posts

All those involved with the make up of this team need to step up and take responsibility.  The lack of fire and heart is evident and past Pedey and Papi there doesn't appear to be any desire or "pissed-off" attitude when things do not go right.  I agree that there needs to be a block buster trade to shake things up.  Dump Gonzo, release Salty and D Mac.  Bucholtz still living on his no hitter....are you kiddin' me?  Get some outs and pitch a 2-1 game!  Earn your keep!.  Being 3-1 with an ERA in excess of 8???   Give it up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Punto is the problem NOTIN if he is keeping a promising young player from rising up and contributing to the team's success...you contradict yourself - you say Punto doesnt matter and then you nix the idea of replacing him for a "prospect"....if he doesnt matter than let him go...what do you have to lose (I guess BenC's rep maybe)?  This is why I wanted the youngsters like Iggy, Lava, Middlebrooks on the roster from Day 1 - our team is old, lazy, and plays with no passion...so the solution is to play more mediocre vets like Punto instead of trying to light a fire with this team? Abso amazing logic.....

fumigate this team now like I said they shouldve done after last season and start the kids....i would rather go <.500 and watch them develop then watch this crapola

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Punto is the problem NOTIN if he is keeping a promising young player from rising up and contributing to the team's success...you contradict yourself - you say Punto doesnt matter and then you nix the idea of replacing him for a "prospect"....if he doesnt matter than let him go...what do you have to lose (I guess BenC's rep maybe)?  This is why I wanted the youngsters like Iggy, Lava, Middlebrooks on the roster from Day 1 - our team is old, lazy, and plays with no passion...so the solution is to play more mediocre vets like Punto instead of trying to light a fire with this team? Abso amazing logic..... fumigate this team now like I said they shouldve done after last season and start the kids....i would rather go <.500 and watch them develop then watch this crapola
    Posted by georom4

The problem with your post is that it's too cliche-ridden. Team plays with no passion. What the he!! does that mean in baseball. I haven't seen lack of hustle on the bases. In fact, baserunning has been pretty good overall. I haven't seen lack of hustle in the field. Just because guys aren't hitting in the clutch, it doesn't mean they're not working hard.

Who is Punto holding back. He's a utility IF who plays once or twice a week. It's idiotic to say he's holding back a young player. All the players you mentioned weren't being held back because of Punto.

One of the reasons the "lack of passion" attitude exists now is because of the recent lack of hitting. So Iggy going 0-for-4  with three Ks is going to bring some kind of passion to the game. Aviles has been one of the productive players so far this year and has played pretty good defense. The "we should have kept Iggy" attitude is confusing. Whatever problems the team has right now isn't defense at SS and Iggy's bat would certainly add to the problems at the plate.

Ross has made some bone-head defensive plays, but he's played hard, hit well and what young player is he holding back. What young player is Sweeney holding back. Or Byrd. the reason all three of them are playing so much is because of injuries.

Middlebrooks is here. I like him. But Youk was playing w/o passion? Really? He just wasn't hitting. So if Middlebrooks, who has started strong, goes cold, does that mean he's not playing with passion?

I wanted Lavarnway over Shoppach but he's getting more playing time in Triple-A.  If you wanted Lavarnway over Salty, well fine. Salty's defense is a concern. So OK, Lavarnway should have stayed. But if he stayed, he should be the starter. I don't think it would have done Lavarnway any good to stay and sit half the time. But Salty is hardly a veteran holding back a young kid.

So stop with the generalities and cliches andf be specific, who are these old players who are lazy and holding back which young kid? 

Baseball isn't football or basketball or hockey where lack of production can often be traced back to lack of hustle. 

More effort isn't going to make you hit better in a slump or pitch better. In fact, it can do the opposite. Aceves scked in his first two outings because he was throwing too hard. Crawford was supposed to be the hardest-working player last year in the batting cage but he scked.

Sections
Shortcuts