When Youkilis returns, who plays 3rd base: Youk or Middlebrooks? Cafardo's idea:trade to Phillies

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: When Youkilis returns, who plays 3rd base: Youk or Middlebrooks? Cafardo's idea:trade to Phillies

We might not have a secured spot in the rotation for Blanton.  Bard, Doubront, and Buch all had promising outings and they won't be taken out of the rotation.  Lester and Beckett won't lose their jobs unless Sox decides to trade Beckett which is the hardest thing to do as of right now.  Dice-K is about to come off from the DL, Andrew Miller looks great so far and inline to be a spot starter if needed.  I would rather take Chad Qualls over Blanton If there should be a trade involving Youk to the Phillies.  Qualls should instantly help our bellpen and make stronger. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: When Youkilis returns, who plays 3rd base: Youk or Middlebrooks? Cafardo's idea:trade to Phillies

I would take that trade. You can never have too much pitching. I still have doubts about Bard in the rotation. He struggles with command & gives up way too many walks. He was lucky yesterday the Red Sox gave him huge run support & the defense turned a couple of timely double plays to get him out of jams. He opened the door for the Indians a couple of times with his lack of command but the team was able to pick him up.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I can see moving Youk and I could also see the Phillies exploring it, but I cannot see who we would take out of our Rotation to be replaced by Blanton? Ironically for a team that had struggles with their starters and initially their BP, the Sox right now have enough hard decisions to make as people get healthy.....1) sooner or later, we need to bring Melancon back up, Dice is back by month end...and Bailey could be back after the AS break, but we can cross that bridge later.....right now, if he keeps it up, I could see a DL stint for Beckett which gives Dice a rotation spot.....as for Melancon, I guess it would be Atchison or Padilla, not that either deserve it, because Atch has pitched brilliantly and Padilla since the Yankee game has been fantastic, but they fill the same role. Plus we have already sent down, Tazawa and Mortenson who both pitched well when they were up.....I know depth is good to have, but adding another pitcher unless it was an Ace or established closer, really is unnecessary. This team has had to deal with alot of turmoil and changes since last September and then injuries this year.....they are slowly putting it together....at this point play the hand your dealt, stick with the guys you have, get the rest of the guys healthy, stay close and hopefully you can have a dominant second half. If Middlebrooks continues to rake, Youk will just have to fill the Utiility role, 1b, 3b, DH, LF and I would move Punto for some lower Minor League depth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yea, I think moving Youk makes sense at this point.  But not to the Phils for Blanton.  A good fit for the Phils.  But a. we don't have room for a mediocre starter at this point.  We have plenty waiting in the wings.  Sure, you can never have too much pitching.  But, Blanton can't really go to the pen and there is no starter spot for him at the moment.  Can't stash him in Rhode Island.  And there is a log jam anyway should a rotation spot open up.  Blanton is not bad, but i am not sure he is an improvement over Matsuzaka or Cook when he moves to the Beast.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Youkilis will play so the sox can improve his trade value, obviously Middlebrooks is the long term answer but if Youk gets hot then maybe a team like the Giants or Phils give something of value up for him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I wouldn't need a major league ready player for Youk right now anyway. I would take a decent mid level prospect. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Given the fatal flaw of weak RH hitting profiles, the Red Sox should look to deal Youk to a contender with an injury emergency need during the summer if they get back a solid young farm prospect.

Given Cherry's status quo, I would stick Youk in LF and put a defensive sub in for late innings in save situations for the Red Sox. Middlebrooks plus Youk would provide more offensive consitency to a lineup with a big hole in it.

Given what Cherry and INepstein have set in stone, my adjustments and trade baits and timelines would be:

1. When Youk comes off the DL, stick him in LF and tell him to play the big hop and never get to close to the wall, like Ellsbury does. Tell him not to sprint all out on any ball hit is way, and just have him work on playing the rebound angles and keeping the ball in front of him. If Manny can do it, Youk most certainly can do it. Wait until the summer and see if Youk's plate numbers go up and he would net back a part that would net help the current and/or future Red Sox team. If not, just ride it out. (The Red Sox problem is not pitching, so don't trade a potential good RH bat for Blan tonage)

2. Middlebrooks should remain as the everyday 3B until year end, at which time it should be decided if he has earned it for the future

3. Salty has an option and should be replaced by Lavarnway. Aside from his butcher hands, the catcher is de facto the #1 team leader position and Salty is a loser. Shoppach should continue to be the backup catcher and has done well in his small sample v. RP for 2012, not an area the Red Sox have any need for in the first place

4. Punto is Cherry's dead bed, so put Aviles on the trade block and as soon as he is traded, recall Iglesias and leave him as everyday SS until year end and make evaluation if he has earned future everyday SS job

5. If Ellsbury ever plays again in 2012, if he puts up numbers that show a decent split line for 2012, put him on the trade block (Kalish due off DL about June 15 and Bradley would move up depth chart beside Crawbust, Sweetie). DBacks are currently floundering early and J. Upton is off to a terrible start and has balloon payments coming in 2014, the same year Ellsbury will be seeking his balloon payments that the DBacks can have the flexibility to wait and see and move on or covert the balloon payment due Upton into Ellsbury FA contract offer or other FA OF contract offer or promote from within (DBacks already have control of RH OF currently performing better in 2012 Chris Young through 2014)

Call Keven Towers and offer Ellsbury + Aviles + Brentz or Jacobs or Bogaerts + Ranaudo  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Youk plays 3B and Middlebrooks goes to the bench or LF. Punto is given a pink slip with Iglesias being called up. Nava stays and Gomez goes back down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I suspect the Phillies would rather look to the long-term infield solution of trading 24-year-old outfielder Domonic Brown for 24-year-old Seattle infielder Kyle Seager, who is on pace for 6+ WAR this season and who remains under his team's control through 2017. Seager could be expendable because Seattle has Dustin Ackley, Alex Liddi, Nick Franklin, Francisco Martinez and Vinnie Catricala. Brown, Baseball America's fourth-ranked prospect a year ago, is homerless with an OPS of .645 through 26 games this season at Triple A Lehigh Valley.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Lets not make middlebrooks a HOF just yet.  how about making it 1 time thru the league first?  see how he does with a cold streak and the Boston media?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

"Youkilis could easily play every day if Manuel was comfortable rotating positions." Huh???   You lost me there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Middlebrooks has not played enough games for us to decide if he should be our full-time third baseman. 

We should wait until the trading deadline. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

Dont think Youk will be productive until he moves back to 1st. I thought all along that when they got Gonzalez, Youk needed to be traded for pitching while stock high and keep Beltre. Even though he started at 3rd, thats a hard transition for someone comfortable at 1st

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In Response to Re: When Youkilis returns, who plays 3rd base: Youk or Middlebrooks? Cafardo's idea:trade to Phillies:
    Dont think Youk will be productive until he moves back to 1st. I thought all along that when they got Gonzalez, Youk needed to be traded for pitching while stock high and keep Beltre. Even though he started at 3rd, thats a hard transition for someone comfortable at 1st
    Posted by feelec

I agree with you.  I also believe that the Red Sox should have kept Beltre.  Beltre is a gold-glover and a great hitter. 

I know that Beltre struggled while with the Mariners but he still has been pretty consistent. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

SOme say we need to give time to Youk so we can trade him and some say we need to give time to Middlebrooks to see if he is our future 3B. Well we can't do both and the kid won't be put in the OF, Youkilis was struggling and Middlebrooks came up with an immediate impact on the team. With the team struggles and the same old faces that were on the team during the collapse, fresh faces feel nice and you have to stick with your hot hand. Let Middlebrooks play, I see an upside that could lead to being a top of the line 3B. It's a tough situation to deal with, but it's time to move forward.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Re: When Youkilis returns, who plays 3rd base: Youk or Middlebrooks? Cafardo's idea:trade to Phillies:
    I know how we can get rid of Youk.  I hear he likes to go fishing -- he's not that good, but he says he's got this secret weapon for catching fish -- he says a few Hail Mary's when he puts his line in the water -- sounds crazy, but that's Youk for ya.  Anyways, I say we send someone out on the lake fishing with him late some afternoon....take care of things....real quiet....know what I mean?.....
    Posted by bellhorn_

Think the guy you're looking for is named Al Neri. He went fishing on Lake Tahoe with brother Fredo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

1. When Youk comes off the DL, stick him in LF and tell him to play the big hop and never get to close to the wall, like Ellsbury does.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Idiot.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Given the fatal flaw of weak RH hitting profiles, the Red Sox should look to deal Youk to a contender with an injury emergency need during the summer if they get back a solid young farm prospect. Given Cherry's status quo, I would stick Youk in LF and put a defensive sub in for late innings in save situations for the Red Sox. Middlebrooks plus Youk would provide more offensive consitency to a lineup with a big hole in it. Given what Cherry and INepstein have set in stone, my adjustments and trade baits and timelines would be: 1. When Youk comes off the DL, stick him in LF and tell him to play the big hop and never get to close to the wall, like Ellsbury does. Tell him not to sprint all out on any ball hit is way, and just have him work on playing the rebound angles and keeping the ball in front of him. If Manny can do it, Youk most certainly can do it. Wait until the summer and see if Youk's plate numbers go up and he would net back a part that would net help the current and/or future Red Sox team. If not, just ride it out. (The Red Sox problem is not pitching, so don't trade a potential good RH bat for Blan tonage) 2. Middlebrooks should remain as the everyday 3B until year end, at which time it should be decided if he has earned it for the future 3. Salty has an option and should be replaced by Lavarnway. Aside from his butcher hands, the catcher is de facto the #1 team leader position and Salty is a loser. Shoppach should continue to be the backup catcher and has done well in his small sample v. RP for 2012, not an area the Red Sox have any need for in the first place 4. Punto is Cherry's dead bed, so put Aviles on the trade block and as soon as he is traded, recall Iglesias and leave him as everyday SS until year end and make evaluation if he has earned future everyday SS job 5. If Ellsbury ever plays again in 2012, if he puts up numbers that show a decent split line for 2012, put him on the trade block (Kalish due off DL about June 15 and Bradley would move up depth chart beside Crawbust, Sweetie). DBacks are currently floundering early and J. Upton is off to a terrible start and has balloon payments coming in 2014, the same year Ellsbury will be seeking his balloon payments that the DBacks can have the flexibility to wait and see and move on or covert the balloon payment due Upton into Ellsbury FA contract offer or other FA OF contract offer or promote from within (DBacks already have control of RH OF currently performing better in 2012 Chris Young through 2014) Call Keven Towers and offer Ellsbury + Aviles + Brentz or Jacobs or Bogaerts + Ranaudo  
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

This is pure typed diarrhea. Create an Amazon Wish List, put Baseball for Dummies on it, then finally put a link on your profile. I'll will personally buy it for you just so I don't have to read your made-up terminology again.

Sections
Shortcuts