Where are all the Crawford Signing Apologists Now???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where are all the Crawford Signing Apologists Now???

First, I want to say that this is not a Crawford bashing post. I am confident that he will return close to his norm in 2012. This is about the money spent on his contract.

Secondly, this is not about Carl's horrible 2012 season and Monday morning quarterbacking, but...

Where are all the Crawford signing apologists now?

When I said at the time of his signing that his contract would "cripple" this team's ability to make moves for 6 more years, the apologists all said we'd have plenty of money because "Drew and others were coming off the books over the next few years".

Well?

Is Papi next?

The AGon deal was great, but his contract extension kicks in next year, so there goes a big chunk of our discressionary spending. Buhholtz got an extension that adds some more for 2012. Taking the Scutty option some more. By my figures, we have about $23-25M more to spend this winter and be at about the same amount as 2011. Until I hear otherwise, I am assuming we won't go much higher in 2012.

We have so many needs right now, and maybe just about $24M to fill them and stay at the 2011 budget level. Assuming Bard becomes the closer, we will need...

1) A very good starter to fill the 4 slot.
    2) One or two decent starters to fill the 5 slot (or move Aceves).
    3) Two good set-up men to replace Bard (three if Aceves starts).
    4) A DH (or go with Youk and find a 3Bman: see below).
    5) RF- maybe a RH'd platoon guy .
    6) Back-up catcher. 

Assume we sign Papi for about $10M/yr: that leaves about $14M for all the other slots, except maybe back-up catcher, since Lava can now catch instead of DH. I'd love Papi back, but the starting pitching and relief pitching slots have higher priority now. So, we may be saying goodbye to Papi soon as well.

I haven't heard a peep from the Crawford signing supporters about what their plan is. I'm sure they'll just simplify it by saying something like, Henry has a lot of cash, he should just open his wallet..."

Even if Henry OKs $40M to spend this winter, it will still be tight, and we'll have to rely on 1-2 kids to fill 1 or 2 of these slots...

SP: Tazawa, Doubront, Weiland, Ranaudo, Wilson, or Barnes
    RP: Doubront, Bowden, Morales, or others...
    C/DH: Lavarnway (or move Youk here: see below)
    RF: Reddick, Kalish, Linares, Brentz, Jacobs...
    3B (trade Youk to save money or DH him): Aviles/Lowrie/Middlebrooks
    SS (trade Scutaro to save money): Iglesias, Aviles/Lowrie/Bogaerts

I have confidence in some of these kids to produce in 2012, but I do not want to have to rely on them to do well for us to win a ring.

I seem to remember being in the distinct minority last winter after the Crawford signing. There seems to be more posters now pretending they were against the signing from day one, but I really want to hear from those of you who are honest enough to admit you were for the Crawford signing on how you'd now fill 7 roster slots on $24M.

1) SP#4
    2) Closer or Set-up replacing Bard
    3) SP #5
    4) DH
    5) Set-up relief
    6) RF
    7) C

I'd still rather have $45M to fill 8 slots (add LF to the above list) than $24M for 7 slots.

Your plan?

(In detail and staying within the budget)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Where are all the Crawford Signing Apologists Now???

Henry has a lot of cash, he should just open his wallet.

I was in favor of the Crawford signing.

We needed a decent leftfielder.

1&3/The costly part is we have paid Beckett like a #1 and he is more like a #3. Lackey and Matsuzaka are costly bystanders....there's your #4-5 starters.If those guys deliver the goods , we are in good shape...but they continue to disappoint.

2 &5/Too much spent on useless Jenks and Wheeler, there are your set up men for Bard. Albers could lose some weight and Morales could use some practice, but most of Theo's "upgrades" last year were no improvement over the old model.

6/RF should not be a problem, they can't possibly do worse than the guy who is leaving.J. Disabled-List Drew.

7/ I feel Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway are a good start. Both should continue to improve.

4/ I thought we were grooming Lars Anderson for this spot someday. I guess he is a bust and they have given up on him?...bad planning or a guy who just didn't turn out as expected?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Here's one Crawford apologist, and I'm not hiding. Did we overpay him? Of course, he's making more money than Manny did. I think Big Papi can be brought back for a lot less than his current salary, so there's your DH. It's time to say goodbye to Tek and Wake IMO. So that's another $4M gone. So assuming the Sox can bring David back for around $8M per, they're under last year's budget by $13M assuming Ells gets a $5M bump in arbitration. I think that's enough to address bottom of the rotation issues. And next year's CBT threshhold is most likely going to be higher than this year's. As far as signing Ells long term, we'll have to see how that plays out. It's not like the Red Sox have never signed a Boras client after all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Cherington says he was one of the big supporters of the Crawford signing; it's his plan I'm really interested in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Henry has a lot of cash, he should just open his wallet.

I was in favor of the Crawford signing.

We needed a decent leftfielder.

1&3/The costly part is we have paid Beckett like a #1 and he is more like a #3. Lackey and Matsuzaka are costly bystanders....there's your #4-5 starters.If those guys deliver the goods , we are in good shape...but they continue to disappoint.

We had Beckett, Lackey, and Dice-K when we signed Crawford. We knew the budget score then. Besides, Beckett was a #1 last year.

2 &5/Too much spent on useless Jenks and Wheeler, there are your set up men for Bard. Albers could lose some weight and Morales could use some practice, but most of Theo's "upgrades" last year were no improvement over the old model.

I think we refused Wheeler's $3M 2012 option. If you want to count on Jenks to justify Crawford, you may be standing alone.

6/RF should not be a problem, they can't possibly do worse than the guy who is leaving.J. Disabled-List Drew.

Nonetheless, we need a RH'd RF'er for 2012... what's your plan?

7/ I feel Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway are a good start. Both should continue to improve.

True, but we're already relying on 6 prayers.

4/ I thought we were grooming Lars Anderson for this spot someday. I guess he is a bust and they have given up on him?...bad planning or a guy who just didn't turn out as expected?

If Papi walks, it will be Lava, which means we probably need a cheap vet back-up catcher.

So, if I understand you correctly, you are justifying Crawford input will more than offset these guys that will be forced to play important roles in 2012. (When we could have got better with the $20M)...

Starter 4: Pitch Lackey a year before he's ready from his surgery.
    Starter 5: Pitch Dice-K 3 months before he's done rehabbing.
    Closer: Bard
    Set-up: Jenks
    Set-up: sign Wheeler
    Relief: Albers fresh from the fat farm and Morales.
    Catcher: Salty/Lava
    DH: Lars
    RF: Anyone but JD is Ok with you, since we got the great CC in LF to more than make-up for it!

Nice plan!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's one Crawford apologist, and I'm not hiding. Did we overpay him? Of course, he's making more money than Manny did. I think Big Papi can be brought back for a lot less than his current salary, so there's your DH. It's time to say goodbye to Tek and Wake IMO. So that's another $4M gone. So assuming the Sox can bring David back for around $8M per, they're under last year's budget by $13M assuming Ells gets a $5M bump in arbitration. I think that's enough to address bottom of the rotation issues. And next year's CBT threshhold is most likely going to be higher than this year's. As far as signing Ells long term, we'll have to see how that plays out. It's not like the Red Sox have never signed a Boras client after all.

I counted the arb raises and no Wake, no Vtek, No Papi, No all our FAs and options and came up with about $30M to spend this winter. We just used up $6 on Scutty. If we use up $8M on Papi, that leaves $16M to fill these slots:

SP
    SP
    Closer/set-up
    RP
    RP
    RF
    C

Let's say we fill RF and C with our kids or cheap role players. Tell me your plan for getting 4-5 quality pitchers for $16M.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Where are all the Crawford Signing Apologists Now???:
    [QUOTE]Here's one Crawford apologist, and I'm not hiding. Did we overpay him? Of course, he's making more money than Manny did. I think Big Papi can be brought back for a lot less than his current salary, so there's your DH. It's time to say goodbye to Tek and Wake IMO. So that's another $4M gone. So assuming the Sox can bring David back for around $8M per, they're under last year's budget by $13M assuming Ells gets a $5M bump in arbitration. I think that's enough to address bottom of the rotation issues. And next year's CBT threshhold is most likely going to be higher than this year's. As far as signing Ells long term, we'll have to see how that plays out. It's not like the Red Sox have never signed a Boras client after all. I counted the arb raises and no Wake, no Vtek, No Papi, No all our FAs and options and came up with about $30M to spend this winter. We just used up $6 on Scutty. If we use up $8M on Papi, that leaves $16M to fill these slots: SP SP Closer/set-up RP RP RF C Let's say we fill RF and C with our kids or cheap role players. Tell me your plan for getting 4-5 quality pitchers for $16M.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]I think Bard's our closer next year. Catcher goes to Salty and Lavarnaway. I'd like to take a look at the kids in RF, although Linares is hardly a kid anymore. The 4 and 5 slots in the rotatation are going to be tough, since Laackey and Dice will be drawing over $20M, I think Cherington has to hope he can get lucky with the scrap heap here. I'd really like to see the Sox take a flyer on Chien Ming Wang, he's always been a ground ball pitcher and could play well at Fenway if his arm is sound. Aceves could also be a very good bottom of the rotation starter too, although that would open up another hole in the bullpen. I'd also send someone to the DR to follow Doubront around to make sure he's working out this winter, as I think he has more than enough talent to be a 5th starter in the ALE. Relief pitchers are always a crapshoot IMO, so bring in a bunch of guys on non guaranteed contracts on the theory that if you throw enough crap against the wall something is bound to stick. Oh yeah, and hit Crawford 2nd all year, and let's see if he can be the Roberto Clemente ballplayer he always looked like before last year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

I was not for signing Crawford for that much money, but I will play anyway

1) Starter #4: Aceves
    2) Closer/setup: Joe Nathan and Frank Francisco (these two along with Bard and Jenks would give the Sox 4 closer candidates)
    3) Starter #5: Sign Webb, and others who will com on the cheap but also give the rotation depth
    4) DH: Youk, Lava
    5) Setup relief: look at #2 and we have plenty of in-house depth to fill out the rest of the pen, maybe one more low cost pen option
    6) RF: Cody Ross
    7) C: No need, we have Salty and lava

This would likely come in under the 24 million, but I know other small moves will need to be made, so the number would definitely reach 24 and might 2 or 3 million north of that number, which is ok because I believe we were a few million under the thresh hold

I agree that Crawfords deal was crippling, but I still believe the team can contend. All they need is some smart spending, some help from the minors, and a little luck

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Bard's our closer next year. Catcher goes to Salty and Lavarnaway.

I'm not sold on Salty and lava as game-callers and catcher intangibles, but I doubt we have much choice of spending on this position.

I'd like to take a look at the kids in RF, although Linares is hardly a kid anymore.

I'd like to see Cody Ross here if we can get him cheap: maybe $10M/3.

The 4 and 5 slots in the rotatation are going to be tough, since Lackey and Dice will be drawing over $20M, I think Cherington has to hope he can get lucky with the scrap heap here.

I strongly disagree. I am nearly certain that one of Beckett, Lester or Buch will be hurt or have an off year in 2012. There's no way we win a ring if one does and we go with scraps at 4/5/6.

I'd really like to see the Sox take a flyer on Chien Ming Wang, he's always been a ground ball pitcher and could play well at Fenway if his arm is sound.

Wang signed with the Nats for $4M/1, so if you think going with "scraps" will be cheap, think again. Two scraps like Wang will cost $8M.

Aceves could also be a very good bottom of the rotation starter too, although that would open up another hole in the bullpen. I'd also send someone to the DR to follow Doubront around to make sure he's working out this winter, as I think he has more than enough talent to be a 5th starter in the ALE. Relief pitchers are always a crapshoot IMO, so bring in a bunch of guys on non guaranteed contracts on the theory that if you throw enough crap against the wall something is bound to stick.

With Bard moving to closer, this is a scary plan.

Oh yeah, and hit Crawford 2nd all year, and let's see if he can be the Roberto Clemente ballplayer he always looked like before last year.

If Papi walks, this could happen, as Pedey is dropped to 3/4th. I'd never bat Crawford 2nd vs many LHPs. He shouldn't even be playing vs most LHPs. 9th is best in those games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE] I'd never bat Crawford 2nd vs many LHPs. He shouldn't even be playing vs most LHPs. 9th is best in those games.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Come on moon, Crawford is a career .293 hitter. He doesn't draw many walks, but he might draw more if Pedey, Gonzo, (a declining) Big Papi and Youk were following him. Crawford is on the Red Sox for the next 6 years, like it or not. Why not maximize his talents? And if Ells and Crawford are both on base with the big boppers coming up, how many ulcers would that give CC Sabathia, Verlander and King Felix?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I was all for the signing and believe he will be a very good signing still.

They have 55 million coming off the books
    Paps 12, Cam, 7, JD 14, Papi 12, Tek 2, Wake 2, Reyes 1, Tarzawa 1.5 Wheeler 3
    Add 6M for Marco and CC and you have 43 mil left add 2 each for both Pedroia and

Lester

Leaving 39 mil

There are 10 up for arbitration including Ells  5M, Aceves 2M

Salty, Bard, Lowrie, Doubront, Aceves, Albers

SP#4 CJ Wilson 9/10 mil

SP #5 Joel Pineiro 7/8 mil
    Closer or Set-up replacing Bard Jenks will be back
    Set-up relief D Oliver 4 mil, Tarzawa, Bowden, Morales,
    DH Sign Mark Derosa for 5/6M and rotate him, Youk and Adrian.
    RF Reddick/Kalish 1.5 max for the two.
    C Salty and Larvarnway 3 mil max for the two

This accounts for 40 mil tops.

Invite both Tek and Wake back on minor league deals and you have Aceves and Pinero who both work out of the BP very well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I think Crawford will bounce back next year.  He is a hard worker, and will not let himself have another bad year.  He himself was dissapointed in his season, and I find it hard to believe his talent just dissapeared.  The Sox overpaid, but I think Crawford will be the superstar we signed him to be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Come on moon, Crawford is a career .293 hitter. He doesn't draw many walks, but he might draw more if Pedey, Gonzo, (a declining) Big Papi and Youk were following him. Crawford is on the Red Sox for the next 6 years, like it or not. Why not maximize his talents? And if Ells and Crawford are both on base with the big boppers coming up, how many ulcers would that give CC Sabathia, Verlander and King Felix?

Just because he's here for 6 more years, doesn't entitle him to anything. The guy's OBP is not high enough to bat 1, 2, or 3 in Boston. His numbers vs LHPs are frightening. There's no way he should be in the top 6 in this line-up vs most LHPs... period.

Ells, Pedey, Youk, AGon, and Papi (if he stays) all have much higher OBPs. None of them should be demoted to 6th in order to "maximize his talents". Compared to the guys on TB, yeah, he's a good #2-3 hitter, but here, NO.

Here are the OBP numbers (RHP/LHP):
    Ells    .354 (.354/.355)
    Ped    .373 (.364/.397)
    Youk .393 (.379/.422)
    AGon .375 (.388/.347)
    Papi   .378 (.394/.339)
    Craw .333 (.343/.308)

Even these guys are better than CC vs LHPs:
    Lowrie  .385
    Reddick .345
    Aviles   .344
    Scutty  .343 (his .338 overall is better than CC's!!!!)

Sorry. While CC may do better batting 2nd that 6th or 9th, that alone is not reason enough to move a higher OBP guy down below AGon, Youk and Papi. My guess is they wont even run CC that much in front of the big guns anyway (see Jacoby this year).

If Youk continues to decline, I'd think of this...

vs RHPs:
    1) Ells
    2) Youk
    3) AGon
    4) Pedey
    5) Papi
    6) Craw
    7) Salty
    8) Redd
    9) Scutty

vs LHPs
    1) Ells
    2) Lowrie
    3) Pedey
    4) Youk
    5) AGon
    6) Papi
    7) Lavarnway
    8) Scutty
    9) Craw/DMac 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was all for the signing and believe he will be a very good signing still.

They have 55 million coming off the books
    Paps 12, Cam, 7, JD 14, Papi 12, Tek 2, Wake 2, Reyes 1, Tarzawa 1.5 Wheeler 3
    Add 6M for Marco and CC and you have 43 mil left add 2 each for both Pedroia and

Lester

Leaving 39 mil

There are 10 up for arbitration including Ells  5M, Aceves 2M

Salty, Bard, Lowrie, Doubront, Aceves, Albers

Wrong. You forgot AGon signed after the year started and Buch was extended. That's about a $20M CBT hit right there. I did the numbers and if we stay at last year's budget level and give $10M in arb raises, we are left with about $24M right now (after Scutty).

SP#4 CJ Wilson 9/10 mil

SP #5 Joel Pineiro 7/8 mil
    Closer or Set-up replacing Bard Jenks will be back
    Set-up relief D Oliver 4 mil, Tarzawa, Bowden, Morales,
    DH Sign Mark Derosa for 5/6M and rotate him, Youk and Adrian.
    RF Reddick/Kalish 1.5 max for the two.
    CSalty and Larvarnway 3 mil max for the two

This accounts for 40 mil tops.

Invite both Tek and Wake back on minor league deals and you have Aceves and Pinero who both work out of the BP very well.

Wilson will probably get $12-13M a year. Pineiro is not worth even a $4M gamble. We need 2 quality set-up guys to replace Bard and the carousel of 2011.

We may go above last year's budget number, but try to make a plan that stays below $25M.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I think Crawford will bounce back next year.  He is a hard worker, and will not let himself have another bad year.  He himself was dissapointed in his season, and I find it hard to believe his talent just dissapeared.  The Sox overpaid, but I think Crawford will be the superstar we signed him to be.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

This thread isn't about this. I also think CC will return to norm status, though I disagree those numbers are "superstar" in nature. It was my point last year, that even if CC met career norm levels for 7 years, he was still overpaid by about $50M. That's about $8M a year in lost FA signings or extensions to our own players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Where are all the Crawford Signing Apologists Now???:
    [QUOTE]First, I want to say that this is not a Crawford bashing post. I am confident that he will return close to his norm in 2012. This is about the money spent on his contract. Secondly, this is not about Carl's horrible 2012 season and Monday morning quarterbacking, but... Where are all the Crawford signing apologists now? When I said at the time of his signing that his contract would "cripple" this team's ability to make moves for 6 more years, the apologists all said we'd have plenty of money because "Drew and others were coming off the books over the next few years". Well? Is Papi next? The AGon deal was great, but his contract extension kicks in next year, so there goes a big chunk of our discressionary spending. Buhholtz got an extension that adds some more for 2012. Taking the Scutty option some more. By my figures, we have about $23-25M more to spend this winter and be at about the same amount as 2011. Until I hear otherwise, I am assuming we won't go much higher in 2012. We have so many needs right now, and maybe just about $24M to fill them and stay at the 2011 budget level. Assuming Bard becomes the closer, we will need... 1) A very good starter to fill the 4 slot. 2) One or two decent starters to fill the 5 slot (or move Aceves). 3) Two good set-up men to replace Bard (three if Aceves starts). 4) A DH (or go with Youk and find a 3Bman: see below). 5) RF- maybe a RH'd platoon guy . 6) Back-up catcher.  Assume we sign Papi for about $10M/yr: that leaves about $14M for all the other slots, except maybe back-up catcher, since Lava can now catch instead of DH. I'd love Papi back, but the starting pitching and relief pitching slots have higher priority now. So, we may be saying goodbye to Papi soon as well. I haven't heard a peep from the Crawford signing supporters about what their plan is. I'm sure they'll just simplify it by saying something like, Henry has a lot of cash, he should just open his wallet..." Even if Henry OKs $40M to spend this winter, it will still be tight, and we'll have to rely on 1-2 kids to fill 1 or 2 of these slots... SP: Tazawa, Doubront, Weiland, Ranaudo, Wilson, or Barnes RP: Doubront, Bowden, Morales, or others... C/DH: Lavarnway (or move Youk here: see below) RF: Reddick, Kalish, Linares, Brentz, Jacobs... 3B (trade Youk to save money or DH him): Aviles/Lowrie/Middlebrooks SS (trade Scutaro to save money): Iglesias, Aviles/Lowrie/Bogaerts I have confidence in some of these kids to produce in 2012, but I do not want to have to rely on them to do well for us to win a ring. I seem to remember being in the distinct minority last winter after the Crawford signing. There seems to be more posters now pretending they were against the signing from day one, but I really want to hear from those of you who are honest enough to admit you were for the Crawford signing on how you'd now fill 7 roster slots on $24M. 1) SP#4 2) Closer or Set-up replacing Bard 3) SP #5 4) DH 5) Set-up relief 6) RF 7) C I'd still rather have $45M to fill 8 slots (add LF to the above list) than $24M for 7 slots. Your plan? (In detail and staying within the budget)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    If Crawford had a great year what would you be writing about. After the fact jack.... It's not your f....... money dude!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Crawford had a great year what would you be writing about. After the fact jack.... It's not your f....... money dude!!!

No, you are wrong. I think he was overpaid by about $50M even if he had 7 career norm seasons. I said that day 1.

The "money" is coming back to haunt us now.

Besides, I think CC will return to norm in 2012. Norm still ain't worth $20M.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am not a Crawford Signing Apologist.  But, I do like having Crawford on the Sox and not playing against the Sox, even after 2011.  Mama told me not to cry over spilt milk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Anyone who continues to Pedey in the 4 spot either lost their marbles or never had them to begin with.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

moonie, how many times do you write and re-write your sesquipedalian rants? If you were off ignore it would take me 15 minutes just to read your stuff. Edit, edit, edit, edit, edit! Less is more dude. Plus, Carl Crawford rants are soooo borin...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hear ya space. I'm just a little worried about our future now, had to blow off some steam, and remembered all the posters saying after the CC signing that we could easily keep Paps, Papi, and extend our kids. I know it all can't be blamed on CC. The AGon deal cost a lot. The Lackey deal and injury hurts. The Dice-K injury hurts. Who knows if Theo would have let Paps go or if it even matters.

I do think CC will help us win some games next year. He's a very good player. I don't blame CC one bit for taking the money. I just wish we had the money to spend in alternative ways. Had Crawford batted
    .310/.360/490/.850 (all above his career norms)
    I'd still feel the same way.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

yes . keep crawford .. i trust in him .. and crawford will bounce back the next season .. sure

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Not once did the author totally denounce Crawford contract, before it happened, more than I did. In fact, Moonslaw did not strongly protest this signing as making zero sense during Crawbury mania. His standard comment was "contract was about x too large", but no denouncement of the fit or absurd value, at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy, you are so full of it. Your lies are growing exponentially.

My posts are still here for all to read. When I said we overpaid by $50M, you said I "overexaggerated". From the very first day I said the signing would 'cripple us for 7 years". Before the signing I argued with katz over the need to even get an OF'er, especially a LH'd one, let alone spen big on one.

Stop the lies, clown.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our CBT budget so far...
    (avg anual salary of contract)

AGon  $22.0M
    Craw  $20.3M
    Beck   $17.0M
    Lack   $16.5M
    Youk  $10.3M
    Dice     $8.0M
    Buch    $7.5M
    Ells    ~$7.0M (est arb raise- 2nd of 3- from $2.4M in '11)
    Pedey $6.7M
    Lest    $6.0M
    Jenks  $6.0M
    Scut    $5.7M
    Bard  ~2.5M  (est arb- 1sy of 3- from $.505M in '11)
    Acev ~$2.5M
    (est arb- 1st of 3- from $.65M in '11) 
    Salty ~$2.5M (est arb-2nd of 3- from $.75M in '11)
    Iggy    $2.1M
    Aviles~$1.0M (est arb-1st of 3- from $.64M in '11)
    Albers~1.0M  (est arb- 2nd of 3- from $.875M in '11) 
    Taza ~$0.8M  (est, pre-arb, then 4 more arbs: made $1.1M x 3 yrs)
    Lowrie ~$.8M (est arb- 1st of 3- from $.45M in '11)
    DMac ~$0.5M  (est, pre-arb, then 3 more arbs: made $.47M in '11)
    Moral ~$0.5M (est arb-1st of 3- from $.424M in '11)
    Doub ~$0.5M (pre-arb, then 2 more pre-arbs+3 arbs: made $.417M)
    Atch  ~$0.5M (pre-arb, then 1 more pre-arb+3 arbs: made $.454M)
    R.Hill ~$0.5M (2nd arb? out of 3???)
    All the rest are pre-arb and close to minimum salary:.

Oki??? 2nd of 3 arbs: made $1.75M in '11 (May let him go)

By my estimate, our total payroll budget (assuming we sign the arb guys)is currently at about: Lavarnway, Kalish, Reddick, Bowden (no options), Weiland, Anderson, Tejada, Exposito, Pimental, etc...
    Add about $8M for the rest at near min salary:

$156M Total Estimated Salary for 2012 with no moves.

It was about $164M in 2011 and $168M in 2010 according to Cots.
    It was about $167M in 2011 according to baseball reference, and they estimate our 2012 player payroll budget (with arbs signed) at about $160.4M.

I think many posters are grossly over-estimating how much we have to spend this winter to fill at least 7 slots (with kids or otherwise):
    1) SP
    2) SP
    3) Closer/Set-up
    4) DH
    5) RP
    6) RF (RH'd)
    7) C

(Sidenote: as tight as the budget is, softy wants to spend $3-5M on Ramon Hernandez, thinking the 36 year old catcher can still block the plate. Of all the needs listed above, he wants a catcher to be the #1 priority. Cue: denials, distortions, and deceptions)

(Sidenote2: softy wanted Crawford to leadoff instead of Jacoby. I wanted him on the bench vs most LHPs and hitting 6th or 9th vs most RHPs, So, who was valuing CC more? The silly clown of me?)