Where are ALL the Doubront basher's today?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Where are ALL the Doubront basher's today?????

I know, I know....his whip is to high, as well as his era..and oh yeah, he's got motivational issues" as well as being hot headed and blah blah blah...the bottom line is this, he COMPETES, has 4 PLUS pitches ( unlike our resident no. Starter who has never had more than 2 and that is debate able today) is YOUNG and just needs how to become less predictable. Which is what we saw last night. They were and have been sitting on his cb when he got ahead and last nite he switched up and was throwing his cutter and fb more. telling you this kid can PITCH. When hefinally does put it together we won't need to go pay a boat load for a no 2....he's right there. ADMIT IT....you were WRONG....that's not a bad thing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Where are ALL the Doubront basher's today?????

They are all on the thread critisizing Farrell for going with bailey. Led by ADG, the one who said Doubie didnt belong in the rotation. Now hes all over Farrell for not letting him go 9. Imagine thatUndecided

If Doubie can harness this talent and become more consistent and take his offseason workouts seriously, he could be a TOTR starter. He certainly has the suff for it.

Honestly, I always though he was a #3 at most. Id love to be wrong about that.

By the way, we signed Ball today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

They are all on the thread critisizing Farrell for going with bailey. Led by ADG, the one who said Doubie didnt belong in the rotation. Now hes all over Farrell for not letting him go 9. Imagine thatUndecided

If Doubie can harness this talent and become more consistent and take his offseason workouts seriously, he could be a TOTR starter. He certainly has the suff for it.

Doubront pitched a great game last night and should have been allowed to come out and complete it. Every ML pitcher that is with a club for several years probably has a gem or two to his credit. That does not make Doubront a good pitcher; right now, he isn't. He is at 4.38/1.486. Those are not impressive numbers. To me, a "good" pitcher is one who is consistently good with a few hiccups that every ML pitcher has. Doubront has been bad with a few acceptable games and a rare excellent one. Last night's effort does not, by itself, change my opinion about Doubront one bit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Doubie has been good for his role. A #5 starter. His last 6 starts have shown some good improvement, minus 1 hiccup. 5 of 6 games he went at least 6IP. If he was a TOTR starter then Id say he wasnt doing good, but for a #5 hes doing good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

If calling him a 4/5 SP is bashing him?.... I'm right here. Haven't wandered off too far. 8 Innings & no Walks issued, very impressive. Hope he keeps pitching like that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

You're right. The light bulb just needs to go on. He's got the stuff, and I love how he WANTS the ball. He just needs innings ( like ALL young pitchers) in the role he's had( a 5 starter) along with good coaching and we might have ourselves a 2/3 next yr...for under a mil. Webster, Barnes, Ranaudo...as you know are all gonna go through growing pains. And then everyone will be calling for heads then too

What did Ball sign for....must of been under slot !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I've been critical of Doubront for not being in shape twice in three years and not being quite as good (before this season) as some people have claimed.

But I give credit where credit is due. And what has been overlooked even before last night's game was that in his previous six starts, he posted a 3.48 ERA, and that includes his last start, which was a 4.2 inning poor effort and he went six innings in four of the games. That's excellent work for a No. 5 starter. Add in last night's effort, and his ERA over his last seven starts is 2.81 and has pitched 41.2 innings in those starts, which is one out from averagin six innings.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Unlike Moon and many others, I still like the kid. By the way, his E.R.A. over last 7 games is now 2.81 , as opposed to his 6.50 or so from his first 6 games.

Contrast the turnaround with Jon Lester's, 7.48 or something in last 6 starts.  So WHO'S the # 2 and # 5 again ?

Apparently either Nieves or Doubront realized 95 % curves on 0-2 and 1-2 counts was just a BIT too predictable. Now using many more 4-seam fastballs plus a few changeups mixed in seems to be working.   GO FELIX !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Doubrant threw the best game of any RS pitcher this year. I think the fact he was lifted (for a pitcher who is probably headed for either the DL or Pawtucket) made it even worse. I wouldn't have lifted him for vintage Ravera or, even, Radatz! He deserved the chance to throw a3-hit shutout. Add to that, he had retired the last 17 hitters?

He's a bit of a head  case, so we'll see what we will see. He's got a chance to be Buchholz equal if he continues to change speds like he did last night. He was as high as 91 and as low aS 67---with, it seems, hitting every speed level in between. The Rays were completly baffled. I live in Ft Myers, so had to watch it on the Rays station. (MLB.TV blacked out when Rays or Marlins game is carrying the game. The Rays annoucers (esp. Brian Anderson) are about as bad as they come, but they were blown away by Doubrant---just like the rest of us!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Hold it right there, Mr. OP.  The bashers are the ones who caused the turnaround.  Peter Abraham reported after the game that Doubront said, "I was really determined tonight.  I've been reading on the front burner and realize I am letting a lot of great fans down.  If a terrific game tonight will lead to a positive thread on OTFB, I will be able to die happy.  Those bashers really get under my skin, and, by gum, it's working."

Well done, bashers.  Another so-so pitching arm turned to gold. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Wanting to trade a guy does not mean you think he is useless or bad.

2) Looking beyond ERA is not bashing.

3) Pointing out that a player came to camp out of shape in 2 of his 3 MLB seasons is not bashing.

I'm not "admitting I was wrong", because I have said all along that Doubront has nasty stuff, but has a way too high WHIP to be able to sustain a lower ERA over a long period of time. He pitched a great game against a team with a better offense than many want to realize. He's had a very good 4-5 start stretch and seems to be heading in the right direction at a time when we need someone to step it up. I hope he continues his progress. I am happy for him and root for him as much as any other Sox pitcher. I'm hoping I am wrong about his motivational and attitude issues and will be the first to admit it after a proper sample size which includes some crunch time action has been completed. It's great to see his WHIP and ERA go down and that helping us get wins. It's surprising to see his 2013 WHIP is still higher than 2012 and his career number, but if he keeps pitching like this, it won't take long.

Side note: when Doubront pitches poorly for a game or a stretch, you won't see me create a thread calling you and others out.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

The key to last nights game was that he allowed the bull pen to rest. They pitched the first game of the double dip and I don't even think they got up in the second game.

Maybe he was told this and to throw more strikes. Maybe he learned something about getting ahead and making them hit the ball. Hopefully. It worked.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Doubront pitched a great game last night and should have been allowed to come out and complete it. Every ML pitcher that is with a club for several years probably has a gem or two to his credit. That does not make Doubront a good pitcher; right now, he isn't. He is at 4.38/1.486. Those are not impressive numbers. To me, a "good" pitcher is one who is consistently good with a few hiccups that every ML pitcher has. Doubront has been bad with a few acceptable games and a rare excellent one. Last night's effort does not, by itself, change my opinion about Doubront one bit.

[/QUOTE]

To me, a "good" pitcher is one who is consistently good with a few hiccups that every ML pitcher has. Doubront has been bad with a few acceptable games

Doubront has 12 starts.  In 11 of those 12 starts, he has allowed 3 ERs or less.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

The key to last nights game was that he allowed the bull pen to rest. They pitched the first game of the double dip and I don't even think they got up in the second game.

Maybe he was told this and to throw more strikes. Maybe he learned something about getting ahead and making them hit the ball. Hopefully. It worked.

FWIW, he only walked 10 guys in his previous 5 starts.

I'd also add that strike zones are variable.  Sometimes guys have great games because the ump is just calling a wide strike zone that day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Hold it right there, Mr. OP.  The bashers are the ones who caused the turnaround.  Peter Abraham reported after the game that Doubront said, "I was really determined tonight.  I've been reading on the front burner and realize I am letting a lot of great fans down.  If a terrific game tonight will lead to a positive thread on OTFB, I will be able to die happy.  Those bashers really get under my skin, and, by gum, it's working."

Well done, bashers.  Another so-so pitching arm turned to gold. 

Haha...love it...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

On this forum a month ago I was ridiculed for citing advanced metrics when I wrote that Felix Doubront's FIP and xFIP suggested that the lefthander was pitching better than his then-woeful ERA would indicate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

1) Wanting to trade a guy does not mean you think he is useless or bad.

2) Looking beyond ERA is not bashing.

3) Pointing out that a player came to camp out of shape in 2 of his 3 MLB seasons is not bashing.

I'm not "admitting I was wrong", because I have said all along that Doubront has nasty stuff, but has a way too high WHIP to be able to sustain a lower ERA over a long period of time. He pitched a great game against a team with a better offense than many want to realize. He's had a very good 4-5 start stretch and seems to be heading in the right direction at a time when we need someone to step it up. I hope he continues his progress. I am happy for him and root for him as much as any other Sox pitcher. I'm hoping I am wrong about his motivational and attitude issues and will be the first to admit it after a proper sample size which includes some crunch time action has been completed. It's great to see his WHIP and ERA go down and that helping us get wins. It's surprising to see his 2013 WHIP is still higher than 2012 and his career number, but if he keeps pitching like this, it won't take long.

Side note: when Doubront pitches poorly for a game or a stretch, you won't see me create a thread calling you and others out.

Sox4ever

You basically said to dump him for a bag of old golf balls, ADMIT It...and youve been saying it since last yr, but...of course, like typical moon, you will cover your AS$ by talking out of both sides of your mouth. Your not fooling me...nor anyone else here...except maybe your alter egos.the bottom line is this MOON...when your wrong...your wrong. No big deal, why is that so hard for you to admit...? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

On this forum a month ago I was ridiculed for citing advanced metrics when I wrote that Felix Doubront's FIP and xFIP suggested that the lefthander was pitching better than his then-woeful ERA would indicate.

Not everyone in here is familiar with advance metrics, notwithstanding the fact that FIP and xFIP aren't all that advance anymore.

And some of the ones react harshly when challenged with concepts they don't understand.  It's why I refer to some of the as flat-earthers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Likely getting ready to log on and bash Dempster.

Actually, the posters that were bashing Farrell for keeping Doubront in the rotation, are now bashing Farrell for taking him out of the game too soon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To me, a "good" pitcher is one who is consistently good with a few hiccups that every ML pitcher has. Doubront has been bad with a few acceptable games

Doubront has 12 starts.  In 11 of those 12 starts, he has allowed 3 ERs or less.

[/QUOTE]

Irrelevant. In how many innings did he surrender those three ERs? In just four of his 13 starts has he allowed fewer than three runs and pitched six innings. Less than that kind of performance is simply not very good. Overall his ERA is 4.38 with a horrendous WHIP of 1.480. And before his single gem vs the Rays his ERA was 4.91. He is at best, right now, a BOTR borderline SP.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Unlike Moon and many others, I still like the kid. By the way, his E.R.A. over last 7 games is now 2.81 , as opposed to his 6.50 or so from his first 6 games.

Contrast the turnaround with Jon Lester's, 7.48 or something in last 6 starts.  So WHO'S the # 2 and # 5 again ?

Apparently either Nieves or Doubront realized 95 % curves on 0-2 and 1-2 counts was just a BIT too predictable. Now using many more 4-seam fastballs plus a few changeups mixed in seems to be working.   GO FELIX !!

I wonder if those percentages of pitch selection might work for Lester?? What do you think Jon---or are you going to be Mr. Predictable again vs the Tigers who will really make you pay. Maybe while changing your MO you could speed up your delivery. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

You're right. The light bulb just needs to go on. He's got the stuff, and I love how he WANTS the ball. He just needs innings ( like ALL young pitchers) in the role he's had( a 5 starter) along with good coaching and we might have ourselves a 2/3 next yr...for under a mil. Webster, Barnes, Ranaudo...as you know are all gonna go through growing pains. And then everyone will be calling for heads then too

What did Ball sign for....must of been under slot !

2.75M...500,000 under slot! They might be taking their best shot to sign Boldt. If they could do that, then this draft will be an unreal success as far as signing some of these kids.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9404414/trey-ball-first-round-pick-boston-red-sox-agrees-deal

Sorry the great BDC IT team is having issues with the link generator again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubront has 12 starts. In 6 of those 12, he has allowed 3 ERs or more.

Of the 5 games he has allowed 3 ERS, he has pitched these amounts of innings:

That's an average of just under 6 IP.

I'm not trying to say Doubront is doing poorly. He has done a great job recently, and as a 5th starter, his numbers compare favorably with probably any other team. In fact, his numbers compare favorably to many teams 3 and 4 starters, and a few #2s.

Sections
Shortcuts