Where are all the good young catchers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Where are all the good young catchers?

With the Jesus Montero catching fantasy dying this week, and with Lavarnaway yet to establish himself in the bigs I looked up how other young catchers are doing.

Full packsge:  Posey

Great fielder, ok bat:  Wieters

All hit, no glove:  Wilin Rosario

Maybe:  Lucroy, Perez, Castillo, Gattis

Seems to me like there haven't been many break though catchers for a while.  That could end if a few of the maybes continue their good starts. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Where are all the good young catchers?

Lots of good young catchers that you named that could break out soon. I like the kid in KC and in Cleveland. gattis has also made his name known this year and could be a serious piece of Atlanta future.

For us, I love Christian Vasquez. defense is at an AS level right now by many reports. The offense has taken a HUGE step forward the last year or so. K rate has gone way down over the last couple years and the BB rate has gone way up. Hes got some "pop" in his bat as well. A pop time of sub 1.9 is right up there with the best MLB catchers. Hes batting line is.... 

.298 BA .412 OBP .479

SLG .891 OPS  14K's and 18BB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Maybe because it's such a crappy job.  As Waylon Jennings said:

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be catchers

Don't let 'em wear facemasks and squat in the dust

Let 'em be pitchers, first basemen and such

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I forgot his name but the Mets got a very good catching prospect from Toronto for R.A. Dickey.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Lots of good young catchers that you namesthat could break out some. I like the kid in KC and in Cleveland. gattis has also made his name known this year and could be a serious piece of Atlanta future.

For us, I love Christian Vasquez. defense is at an AS level right now by many reports. The offense has taken a HUGE step forward the last year or so. K rate has gone way down over the last couple years and the BB rate has gone way up. Hes got some "pop" in his bat as well. A pop time of sub 1.9 is right up there with the best MLB catchers. Hes batting line is.... 

.298 BA .412 OBP .479

I agree with this 110%.He opened my eyes as well as many others in Spring Training this year.He's accurate and has an an absolute cannon for an arm. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I haven't given up on Detroit's 26-year-old one-time All Star catcher Alex Avila, and I like 25-year-old Houston catcher Jason Castro and Cleveland's 27-year-old Carlos Santana, who has caught 30 of the Indians' 46 games this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I forgot his name but the Mets got a very good catching prospect from Toronto for R.A. Dickey.  

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2581

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

travis D'Arnaud I believe is his name.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

if they're good, i'd assume they are playing in the major leagues.

Was Buster Posey good when I saw him play in the minors?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Lots of good young catchers that you named that could break out soon. I like the kid in KC and in Cleveland. gattis has also made his name known this year and could be a serious piece of Atlanta future.

.298 BA .412 OBP .479

^^^ What he said.^^^

Give the progress Vasquez is making, Salty, Ross, and Lava are just holding a place until 2014, 2015 at the latest. 

This guy just may BE the next Carlton Fisk. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Red Sox have invested heavilly in catchers in the recent drafts and are presently waiting for the growth of former high draft picks and Vasquez too work their ways to the bigs! At present they have Weems and Swihart in the lower minors and Vasquez who is really blossoming. Vasquez has always had the right mindset defensively I saw him when he was playing at Greenville a few seasons back and he has a rocket for an arm! He has finally started hitting and could be the cream of the group of catching prospects the Sox presently have.  Another guy to watch just because he can rake is Dan Butler he's plying his craft at AAA and if the Sox need a stick he's the guy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Prospect Watch: Top 10 catchers

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130123&content_id=41111110

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Joe Mauer is a perfect example of the problems of being a catcher.  He looked to be blossoming as an all-around superstar in 2009.  Then he got the mega-deal.  Since then his home run power has gone, and he's had health issues limiting the number of games he can catch.