Where are the Cherington critics?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Where are the Cherington critics?

Cherington , must be like the Teflon Don. Everyone seems to hate Bobby Valentine, that would be Bobby who bats , fields, and pitches. Dah Bobby you just arn't cutting the mustard . Fact is, it's not you, that is the problem, the problem is that the high priced talent is not performing. Teflon BC is exempt from criticism , because it's his first year. Oh wait, Bobby it's your first year with the Red Sox also, sorry. Oh I forgot , it's not BC's first year he's been around for awhile, he was the Boy Wunder's flunkey, not anymore, he's the GM.

The GM, ah what a job, as Harry Truman had on his desk, "The Buck Stops Here"
    You see Ben that's where the buck stops, at your desk, and baby there are a lot of questions. First question, are you up to the job? early returns , NO. So you get another year , unless you fire Valentine, then your gone also, working at McDonald's where you should have been all along. At least you didn't make a trade with Epstein and the Cubs, you would have gotten the Gilloteen had you done that. But unlike the player's , who all they have to do is keep their mouths shut and collect their paychecks, you have to do something.

Trading Kelly Shoppach after the deadline, when there were 3 contenders needing a catcher , before the deadline shows that you are not up to the job. You see Ben , players who are needed are worth more to teams before the deadline.  But then again I realise you are new to the job, and hav'nt learned anything about the trade deadline before.

Unfortunately, for BC , he is making Epstein look like Albert Einstein.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Re: Where are the Cherington critics?

So either I am an outsider, actually I have over 1000 posts but changed email addresses and had to start over , or nobody wants to debate Cherington's achievements.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Don't get discouraged, will. I've got over 2000 posts and am ignored quite often.

Not really a Cherrington fan but I think, for the most part, his hands are tied.
    The Buck doesn't stop at his desk. It continues on to the owner's suite where Henry, Werner and Luchino kick it around like a soccer ball. Until the top men decide to accept some accountability for the chaos that seems to be the order of business these days and do something to correct it, nothing will change. Blaming the GM (in name only) and those below him might feel good but I don't believe that his office is where the most serious problems with this team occur. They begin with the owners. Only they can straighten them out.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) We don't know how bad the deadline offers for Shoppach were, so until we do, bashing Ben for this is speculative at best.

2) Ben's hands were tied from day 1.

3) He has made some good choices (Ross, getting Pods).

4) We had to use 17 OF'ers this year....17!

5) Are you blaming Ben for Lester and Beckett's 3mph lost in velocity?

He's made mistakes, as do all GMs, but the sample size is too small to judge definitively, and it appears ownership and upper management is twisting in the wind.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm right here, huckleberry....I've been very critical of Ben's moves/non-moves
    including Podsednik's original exile to Pawtucket after a fine MLB stint, 
    Mortensen's constant yo-yo to minors while pitching extremely well, 

trading Albers right as Atchison appeared to be out with TJ surgery, 

not replacing Ortiz at DH, waiting at least 4 weeks too long to bring up Lavarnway for Ortiz, 

having any input on the Morales decision to go back to the pen and go from a 6-man to 5-man rotation during the only stretch this year that the Sox SPs were somewhat good as a group.

Not adding actual MLB talent to the roster except for Danny Valencia to the weakest bench in baseball. Not ever DFAing Nick Punto. 

Taking way too long to minor league assign both Nava and Kalish. 

Trading Youkilis way too soon for a bag of balls, but in his defense there was a toxic atmosphere between Kevin and manager and it seemed with Middlebrooks playing so well, there would be tough days if Youks was on the bench. 20-20 hindsight ends up that Youks would have played some 80-90 percent of the time at DH and 3B due to injuries to Middlebrooks (hammy) and Ortiz. 

His Pluses?

Adding Aaron Cook. Acquiring Podsednik in the first place (the second place not such a big deal...needed him in the first place during the month of mediocrity combined from Kalish/Nava...so bringing him back was in effect too little, too late. )

Adding Padilla (edit note-late add, forgot)

Bringing up Middlebrooks and Ciriaco, which were really necessities, not so much his genius at getting them to produce upon arrival.

Signing Ross, Shoppach

The Unknown

Reddick trade seemes lopsided now, but if Andrew Bailey returns to form and doesn't get hurt, he becomes a long-time closer possibly. So the return is still important while Reddick is a good fit in Oakland and Sweeney is an early season highlight for Sox, but overall disappointment due to 2 injuries.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Cherrington certainly is quiet as the franchise implodes.

The team is in as bad a shape as I can EVER  remember and I've been watching since '74

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

What did Ben do wrong so far?  All the free agents that he signed earlier such as Cook, Padilla, Ross, Shoppach, etc, and they are all have been a valuable players for the team this year.  Name one player that is a the worst signing during Ben's tenture?

Yes, Ben should have kept Reddick.  But if you look at Ross/Reddick stats, Ross have a way better batting average, only 1 less RBI than Reddick, 7 HR's less than Reddick, higher OPS/SLG than Reddick, etc. especially Ross played less game than Reddick   So therefore, Ben picked the right guy to play RF this year!!

With a huge chunk of $$$ for Ben to spend on this coming off season, let wait and see who Ben got and see if these guys are a worthy player for the 2013 season!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: Where are the Cherington critics?:
    So either I am an outsider, actually I have over 1000 posts but changed email addresses and had to start over , or nobody wants to debate Cherington's achievements.  
    Posted by aussiewill2

Over 1000 posts but your post count says 72. What happened to AussieWill1? Perhaps forum regulars have looked at your previous 1000 posts and feel as if it is a waste of time to debate you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

kettle, black, again....6k? Really? On poor aussie now? Come on, show a little compassion there buddy.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Where are the Cherington critics? : Over 1000 posts but your post count says 72. What happened to AussieWill1? Perhaps forum regulars have looked at your previous 1000 posts and feel as if it is a waste of time to debate you.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c

The greater waste of time is reading anything that you post.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

He hasn't even been the GM for more than a year.  Operating already above the luxury tax threshold (much more sever penalties coming into place even have the Yankees looking to reduce payroll) and makes some low profile trades to bring in two good closers for a relatively cheap price.

There is nothing he could have done about players getting hurt and not performing.  Blaming Ben Charrington is completely outrages.

A G.M. responds to issues over the course of the long haul and Ben canno't be judged so soon. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

What did Ben do wrong so far?  All the free agents that he signed earlier such as Cook, Padilla, Ross, Shoppach, etc, and they are all have been a valuable players for the team this year.  Name one player that is a the worst signing during Ben's tenture? Yes, Ben should have kept Reddick.  But if you look at Ross/Reddick stats, Ross have a way better batting average, only 1 less RBI than Reddick, 7 HR's less than Reddick, higher OPS/SLG than Reddick, etc. especially Ross played less game than Reddick   So therefore, Ben picked the right guy to play RF this year!! With a huge chunk of $$$ for Ben to spend on this coming off season, let wait and see who Ben got and see if these guys are a worthy player for the 2013 season!!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

The thing is he didn't get Ross as a FT RFer, he got him to platoon, and actually got him to play LF for CC.
    His trades have been abysmal. He doesn't know how to negotiate one....much easier to pick up a FA.
    And what about the Byrd fiasco? Everyone seems to have forgotten that one.
    If Theo was Boy Wonder, Ben is Boy Blunder!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

What did Ben do wrong so far?  All the free agents that he signed earlier such as Cook, Padilla, Ross, Shoppach, etc, and they are all have been a valuable players for the team this year.  Name one player that is a the worst signing during Ben's tenture? Yes, Ben should have kept Reddick.  But if you look at Ross/Reddick stats, Ross have a way better batting average, only 1 less RBI than Reddick, 7 HR's less than Reddick, higher OPS/SLG than Reddick, etc. especially Ross played less game than Reddick   So therefore, Ben picked the right guy to play RF this year!! With a huge chunk of $$$ for Ben to spend on this coming off season, let wait and see who Ben got and see if these guys are a worthy player for the 2013 season!!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

The thing is he didn't get Ross as a FT RFer, he got him to platoon, and actually got him to play LF for CC.
    His trades have been abysmal. He doesn't know how to negotiate one....much easier to pick up a FA.
    And what about the Byrd fiasco? Everyone seems to have forgotten that one.
    If Theo was Boy Wonder, Ben is Boy Blunder!
    Quit defending the indefensible.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In Response to Re: Where are the Cherington critics? : The thing is he didn't get Ross as a FT RFer, he got him to platoon, and actually got him to play LF for CC. His trades have been abysmal. He doesn't know how to negotiate one....much easier to pick up a FA. And what about the Byrd fiasco? Everyone seems to have forgotten that one. If Theo was Boy Wonder, Ben is Boy Blunder! Quit defending the indefensible.
    Posted by Alibiike

yet you post the same thing 2x.....lol

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

He inherited a mess of a clubhouse, manager situation included, that is not debateable.  He wasn't allowed to hire the manager, that alone tells most of the story.

I doubt he has a lot of flexibility from his superiors when it comes to paying Beckett to pitch elsewhere, which is surely the only way to unload Josh.  Paying Beckett to pitch elsewhere also ties Ben's hands in regards to future signings because of the payroll it wastes.

He actually has made some decent moves with in his limited budget, Ross, Scutaro trade, Cook.  I think letting Papelbon walk was smart and I'm not going to blame the GM for Bailey and Sweeney being hurt all year.  That trade addressed needs.

The bottom line is the guy is in his first year and took over a severly flawed roster and payroll, both of which provided very limited flexibility.  What he does this off-season will matter to me a lot more in my opinion. 

One thing I will say conclusively is that Duquette left a better situation behind him in Boston than Epstein did.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Bumping thread to rid the front page of 2004 idiots redundancy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Right here? Never liked any of his moves and I have been openly critical of him. He should have gone with Theo to Chicago. His deals have been awfull and I have no confidence in his "Midas Touch" to fix this in the off season. I do not even want to repeat his deals ad naseum with the exception of Cody Ross. I know Theo strapped this team but he was a "Theo Guy" and he had to have been in on some of these disastrous contracts as well. However, He may be a pawn of Larry Luchinno who I feel the game has passed him as well. Maybe Larry Luchinno is calling the shots on this team and hired Young Ben because he was easier to control than Theo was. In that event he needs to go as well. This team needs to try and get Billy Beane as the GM from Oakland, who knows players. I have no idea how they are going to do that with the success if the Oakland As this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Sorry but I can recall that AussieWill has never given me one iota of evidence in over 1000 posts that he is a Red Sox fan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Right here? Never liked any of his moves and I have been openly critical of him. He should have gone with Theo to Chicago. His deals have been awfull and I have no confidence in his "Midas Touch" to fix this in the off season. I do not even want to repeat his deals ad naseum with the exception of Cody Ross. I know Theo strapped this team but he was a "Theo Guy" and he had to have been in on some of these disastrous contracts as well. However, He may be a pawn of Larry Luchinno who I feel the game has passed him as well. Maybe Larry Luchinno is calling the shots on this team and hired Young Ben because he was easier to control than Theo was. In that event he needs to go as well. This team needs to try and get Billy Beane as the GM from Oakland, who knows players. I have no idea how they are going to do that with the success if the Oakland As this year.
    Posted by AL34

Holding Cherington accountable for his role while he was under Theo is fair enough.  He was part of the team that brought in Lackey, Crawford, Jenks, etc.... but ultimately that falls on Theo's watch.

I think to criticize Cherington for what he has done since it has been his watch is premature.  Ross has been one of the best off season moves in all of MLB.  Finding someone to take Scutaro at his salary was a good move and getting Mortenson in return has been a bonus.  Again, the Bailey/Sweeney deal was not a bad trade, unless you blame Cherington for their injuries. 

I felt the return for Youk was thin but if Youk was bent on leaving that does limit negotiating power.  The reality is the Sox probably weren't going anywhere this year with or without Youk and if Stewart ends up contributing at some point, the deal does have value in the long run. 

Beane turned down the job 10 years ago, I seriously doubt he wants it today.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Do you have confidence in him to fix this disaster and get a good anchor starting pitcher? I don't. The Reddick trade was a disaster for Sweeney who never could hit. In Bailey they traded for an often injured pitcher that the jury is still out. It leaves a real bad taste in my mouth because how quickly Bailey was hurt and how much time he missed this year. Melancon was another disaster. The Theo Compenstaion was rediculous five months of waiting and we obtain a guy who needs arm surgery almost immediately. Lillibridge the guy who could not hit but had options when we were dealing from a position of strength was rediculous as well. Then he dumped off Lillibridge. Sounds like a guy who does not know what he is doing. Right ? In response to "Re: Where are the Cherington critics?":
    In Response to Re: Where are the Cherington critics? : Holding Cherington accountable for his role while he was under Theo is fair enough.  He was part of the team that brought in Lackey, Crawford, Jenks, etc.... but ultimately that falls on Theo's watch. I think to criticize Cherington for what he has done since it has been his watch is premature.  Ross has been one of the best off season moves in all of MLB.  Finding someone to take Scutaro at his salary was a good move and getting Mortenson in return has been a bonus.  Again, the Bailey/Sweeney deal was not a bad trade, unless you blame Cherington for their injuries.  I felt the return for Youk was thin but if Youk was bent on leaving that does limit negotiating power.  The reality is the Sox probably weren't going anywhere this year with or without Youk and if Stewart ends up contributing at some point, the deal does have value in the long run.  Beane turned down the job 10 years ago, I seriously doubt he wants it today. Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Sections
Shortcuts