Where are they Now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Where are they Now?

Birthdays: Craig Hansen, former Red Sox reliever and first-round draft selection, turns 29 today. Hansen has been out of the majors since 2009, and spent the 2012 season in the Mets system, pitching for short-season Brooklyn and Low-A Savannah. Hansen started his professional career with excellent stuff, but his tendency to walk hitters only grew with time and promotions, forcing him first to Pittsburgh, who could afford to take a chance on him, and finally to the minors, where he remains to this day. - Marc Normandin

Can you think of some others that were supposed to be the "next thing" ? Let us know where they are now!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Where are they Now?

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=t587&t=p_pbp&pid=502135

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=blanco001ton

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=t587&t=p_pbp&pid=502135

[/QUOTE]

This kid was a 1st rounder. coulnt hit above .230 and his teammates wanted to choke him because he was so cocky and obnoxious.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Remember when Brian Rose got all mouthy and acted like he was the second coming of The Rocket?

Well now he actually seems to be enjoying life:

Brian is currently employed at the office of Bristol County District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter, where he heads Community Affairs for the office. He is also the pitching coach/marquee attraction for the New Bedford Bay Sox baseball team, along with the assistant coach of the Dartmouth High School (Massachusetts) Boys Varsity hockey team (running the offence) and head coach of the Boys Junior Varsity hockey team.  (wikipedia.org)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Remember when Brian Rose got all mouthy and acted like he was the second coming of The Rocket?

Well now he actually seems to be enjoying life:

Brian is currently employed at the office of Bristol County District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter, where he heads Community Affairs for the office. He is also the pitching coach/marquee attraction for the New Bedford Bay Sox baseball team, along with the assistant coach of the Dartmouth High School (Massachusetts) Boys Varsity hockey team (running the offence) and head coach of the Boys Junior Varsity hockey team.  (wikipedia.org)

[/QUOTE]

although he was only a 3rd rounder he acted like the #1 pick in the draft and had one winning season in MLB (7-6 with a 4.87ERA 1.439WHIP).

Hes doing very well for himself now, but the lesson is to walk the walk before you talk the talk.Or be able to back up the talk. The old saying is "Its not cocky if you can back it up". He did well in the minors, but came no where close to backing anything up he said in MLB.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Congrats to Brian Rose for making something of his post baseball life.  Even if it is only on the taxpayer's back, as the Director of "Community Affairs " ,  whatever that is.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Congrats to Brian Rose for making something of his post baseball life.  Even if it is only on the taxpayer's back, as the Director of "Community Affairs " ,  whatever that is.  

[/QUOTE]

He is doing things that only someone who got paid a lot of money to accomplish nothing in basenball can do. He has the freedom to do anything he wants now thanks to being paid a bit over $1 million dollars to win 15 games and be out of baseball before his 27th birthday.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]Where are they Now?         Manny Ramirez - DH - Athletics

Manny Ramirez homered in his first at-bat Wednesday for Aguilas Cibaenas of the Dominican Winter League.

The opposite-field dinger over the right field wall drew wild roars from the crowd and chants of "Manny! - Manny!" rang out as he crossed home plate. Ramirez is on a team with Miguel Tejada, Bartolo Colon, Chris Coghlan, and Cardinals prospect Oscar Taveras. It's not clear if the veteran slugger is considering a return to the majors.     Source: HardballTalk at NBC Sports

Where are they Now?

[/QUOTE]

Haha...Great pic zac!!!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

thanks buddy

I think it's time to admit this board misses 04idiots

no threads on MOY, CY or MVP

I think we missed a couple of good debates

glad 2C old school win tonight

but I thought/feared it would be closer

[/QUOTE]

Wow. Pinstripezac misses "wreck the board" 04Idiots, and cries about it on Burrito's thread of all places. Considering his history with Idiots, I'd say that was taking a shot. Gotta love those Yankee bouncers. Right, Burrito? LOL

Btw, why would a Yankee fan feel like he missed out on any particular discussion if it's not discussed here? Don't you even go to any boards for your own team? You should try it. You'd probably find 04Idiots there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Where are they Now?         Manny Ramirez - DH - Athletics

Manny Ramirez homered in his first at-bat Wednesday for Aguilas Cibaenas of the Dominican Winter League.

The opposite-field dinger over the right field wall drew wild roars from the crowd and chants of "Manny! - Manny!" rang out as he crossed home plate. Ramirez is on a team with Miguel Tejada, Bartolo Colon, Chris Coghlan, and Cardinals prospect Oscar Taveras. It's not clear if the veteran slugger is considering a return to the majors.     Source: HardballTalk at NBC Sports

Where are they Now?

[/QUOTE]

And he told us that it was the cashier behind him that shortchanged a customer, which he later  denied.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

MVP:...Cabrera & Posey....hard to argue even in hindsight both led there respective teams to a World Series, both were pretty much a lock since mid Septemeber (with young Trout the only other real serious player to threaten Carbrera in the AL)...Yawn...

Cy Young; IMHO has lost it's appeal given that it's been highjacked by the sabre metric crew...I like the old standard of he who wins the most games wins the award (named after the winningest pitcher of all time). Let the debate begin, but even Hill55 the lord of War won't be able to move me off my position on this one...

ROY; Trout in the AL "that boy's got game" a race that was over by the All Star break....In the NL not even sure I know who did win it or who deserves too? Harper?

Manager of the year; the criteria is the issue always seems to go to the little engine that could vs the guy that did the best job making the most out of what he had and winning a worldseries...where I'm going with this is that IMHO. The guy that wins the WS should by default be the manager of the year.

Case study; Robin Ventura comes off the golf course and the White Sox were in the hunt all year...

An argument could be made: Bob Melvin a two time winner has yet to navigate any team passed the division series. How's he more valued than Bruce Bochte, he of the two rings with the San Francisco Giants both flawed team that played the game right.

Tip of the cap: Though I hate to admit it Buck Sholwalter derserves some love too. The question is can he finish what he's started...History suggest that good things are on the horizon for the Orioles. The problem for Buck is that means he'll be working for the networks when it happens...

How's that for stirring it up Zac?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MVP:...Cabrera & Posey....hard to argue even in hindsight both led there respective teams to a World Series, both were pretty much a lock since mid Septemeber (with young Trout the only other real serious player to threaten Carbrera in the AL)...Yawn...

Cy Young; IMHO has lost it's appeal given that it's been highjacked by the sabre metric crew...I like the old standard of he who wins the most games wins the award (named after the winningest pitcher of all time). Let the debate begin, but even Hill55 the lord of War won't be able to move me off my position on this one...

ROY; Trout in the AL "that boy's got game" a race that was over by the All Star break....In the NL not even sure I know who did win it or who deserves too? Harper?

Manager of the year; the criteria is the issue always seems to go to the little engine that could vs the guy that did the best job making the most out of what he had and winning a worldseries...where I'm going with this is that IMHO. The guy that wins the WS should by default be the manager of the year.

Case study; Robin Ventura comes off the golf course and the White Sox were in the hunt all year...

An argument could be made: Bob Melvin a two time winner has yet to navigate any team passed the division series. How's he more valued than Bruce Bochte, he of the two rings with the San Francisco Giants both flawed team that played the game right.

Tip of the cap: Though I hate to admit it Buck Sholwalter derserves some love too. The question is can he finish what he's started...History suggest that good things are on the horizon for the Orioles. The problem for Buck is that means he'll be working for the networks when it happens...

[/QUOTE]

And he'll always have you to bow down to his wishes. Why would he need his own team's board?

Btw, I'm thinking of going to a Yankee board and telling them I miss one of their biggest trolls and then letting them know they're not discussing the things I want them to. Any advice?

It's a trick question. The answer is see a psychiatrist.

Nice of you to turn a thread on Sox players into what a Yankee fan wants to discuss.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How did this post get onto this thread?  Someone must have taken a wrong turn at Al Alburquerque.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

People were so excited about Hanson. The guy had nasty stuff.  I remember that a lot of people didn't even think he should spend any time in the minors.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

How about the opposite?  

Tom Brady was a 6th round draft pick (199th pick overall).  

All he did was win three super bowls and date Victoria Secret models.   

Not bad for being selected in the 6th round.  LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Doug Mirabelli has joined Coldwell Banker Schmidt Realtors as a full-time sales associate working out of the 522 East Front Street office.

Prior to joining Coldwell Banker Schmidt Realtors, Mirabelli played professional Baseball, winning two World Series with the Boston Red Sox.  A native of Las Vegas, Nevada, Mirabelli met his now wife, Kristin while both were attending Wichita State, where she was an All-American Softball Player.  They have been residents of Traverse City for the past 5 years, and have three children.

Having passed his real estate exam and joined the Traverse Area Association of REALTORS, Mirabelli is now engaging in an entirely different version of spring training than in years past, namely the extensive training that Coldwell Banker Schmidt Realtors requires of all its new sales associates.  Mirabelli expects that his real estate career will allow him to support the youth of the region, and plans to direct a portion of  his earnings toward funding his Catch Em All Foundation, which focuses on increasing youth opportunities in the Grand Traverse area.

"We're happy to have Doug Mirabelli join our company," said Ken Schmidt, CEO of Coldwell Banker Schmidt Realtors. "He obviously has a drive to succeed and a willingness to work hard to achieve his goals."  Schmidt first contacted Mirabelli after he retired from baseball, having noted the success that other professional athletes had achieved working with other Coldwell Banker Brokers around the country.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

All this amounts to is that the RS scouting system needs a makeover.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think Hanson was rushed, which I think affected how the Sox develop players. Now, it seems they're afraid to bring players along too fast.

They need to find the happy medium.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People were so excited about Hanson. The guy had nasty stuff.  I remember that a lot of people didn't even think he should spend any time in the minors.

[/QUOTE]

snake,  I know you didn't mean it this way, but perhaps that would have been the right thing to do with Hansen.  The more time he spent trying to improve his mechanics, the worse he got.  What is missing in that story at the top is that the Sox had him changing his delivery from the day they signed him.  I wonder if a team such as the Marlins had drafted him and brought him up immediately if he would not have met with some success and gone on to have a successful career?!?

Sections
Shortcuts