Where do the Sox stand on this - long tossing for pitchers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

Where do the Sox stand on this - long tossing for pitchers

I just finished reading an interesting article about teams bringing back the long-toss for pitchers, and I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on this regarding injuries and where the Sox stand on it.  Does anyone know if the Sox advocate this for pitchers, or are they more conservative?

Here's the link to the article: http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/albert_chen/05/07/dylan.bundy.trevor.bauer.long.toss/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a0

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Where do the Sox stand on this - long tossing for pitchers

when did they stop???...i was under the impression they still did..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I might be wrong but I think they do. At least I sort of remember guys talk about their routine between starts and mention long-tossing. Or maybe I'm just remember things that happened in the past.

I could have sworn, however, that one day in between starts was long-tossing and another was a bullpen day.

It is a good question, however.

EDIT: You know, the more I think about it, the more the I'm not sure even more. The point about long-tossing being controversial now really does sound familier. The Sox might not do long-tossing anymore.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

I couldn't find anything in a quick look at Google that indicates the Sox are a proponent of long tossing for pitchers, other than a picture caption of Josh Becket that said he was long tossing during spring training.  I did find this article that says Matt Barnes is an advocate:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303459004577360051534376104.html

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Re: Where do the Sox stand on this - long tossing for pitchers:
    [QUOTE]i think the SOX pitchers should definitely throw from a greater distance than 60 feet from home plate. with their lack of stuff, they're gonna get killed out there.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

Good one- had me chuckling.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Long toss builds arm strength. Wouldn't hurt for the OFers to do it as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I've been to exactly two games at Fenway, and both times long toss was in evidence. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Sox pitchers need to find balls. It's ok to actually over-extend yourself with pitch count or innings since they are throwing once every 5 games, not always every 5 days, often more in between. The Sox starters are out of shape, out of sync, and basically force the bullpen to become the overtired, the over-pitched, and prone to injury.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]I've been to exactly two games at Fenway, and both times long toss was in evidence. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE] Max me also, watched Cano long toss with Grandy at a game...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The Sox pitchers definitely "Long Toss", but I think what the article is talking about is the distance of the Long Toss......half the teams limiting it to 120 feet and presumably the others allowing it to be further than that....No idea if and what distance the Sox limit their pitchers to, but they call it Long toss....see note from DICE K rehab below.

DICE-K COMETH SOON: Daisuke Matsuzaka will begin his minor league rehab assignment Monday by throwing about 75 pitches for Class A Salem. Matsuzaka had Tommy John elbow surgery last June, but the decision to have him start a minor league assignment, which can last only for a maximum of 30 days, means his return to the majors isn’t far away. He threw 59 pitches last week in his most recent extended spring training start and played long-toss at Fenway yesterday, after which he assured both manager Bobby Valentine and pitching coach Bob McClure that he’s ready to take the next step in his recovery and pitch in minor league games

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox starters are out of shape, .
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Couldn't they just s u ck. Players can be in great shape and still stink.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Sox pitchers need to find balls. It's ok to actually over-extend yourself with pitch count or innings since they are throwing once every 5 games, not always every 5 days, often more in between. The Sox starters are out of shape, out of sync, and basically force the bullpen to become the overtired, the over-pitched, and prone to injury.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

It all starts as soon as they get drafted into the system. Pitch counts. Inning counts. Appearence counts. Baby them, then baby them some more. After a few years of that, what are you left with? A pitcher that has NO CLUE how to push himself, no desire to do so, and no thought of ever doing it.

I remember reading an article last year or the year before where Lester pithched 7 good innings, was at around 100 pitches, came into the dugout and mentally checked out. Just ASSUMED he was done for the day, regardless of the fact he was pitching so well. Sox got someone up late, put him in before he was ready, and lost. And I love Lester, I think he learned from that very game. But that's not something you should be learning at the Pro level, they need to learn how to extend themselves, and find that "reserve" when they need it. Not have "daddy" come out and tell him to go take a nap after 5 innings because he threw 102 pitches.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where do the Sox stand on this - long tossing for pitchers : It all starts as soon as they get drafted into the system. Pitch counts. Inning counts. Appearence counts. Baby them, then baby them some more. After a few years of that, what are you left with? A pitcher that has NO CLUE how to push himself, no desire to do so, and no thought of ever doing it. I remember reading an article last year or the year before where Lester pithched 7 good innings, was at around 100 pitches, came into the dugout and mentally checked out. Just ASSUMED he was done for the day, regardless of the fact he was pitching so well. Sox got someone up late, put him in before he was ready, and lost. And I love Lester, I think he learned from that very game. But that's not something you should be learning at the Pro level, they need to learn how to extend themselves, and find that "reserve" when they need it. Not have "daddy" come out and tell him to go take a nap after 5 innings because he threw 102 pitches.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

excellent post MD....the mental toughness to want to be in there and continue dominating is being lost to pitch counts and other nannying practices

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where do the Sox stand on this - long tossing for pitchers : Couldn't they just s u ck. Players can be in great shape and still stink.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    Right, there is no evidence whatsoever that any of the starters are out of shape. What puts these ideas in people's heads?

Sections
Shortcuts