Where do we get a guy like SF's SS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Where do we get a guy like SF's SS?

Marco Scutaro ... tough guy ... takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!  Matt Holiday's (sic) slide last night was rough ... but Scoot showed his stuff.

Thought he had heart while he was here ... Now SF aren't Giant without him....

Good luck and hope you keep doing well.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Where do we get a guy like SF's SS?

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Marco Scutaro ... tough guy ... takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!  Matt Holiday's (sic) slide last night was rough ... but Scoot showed his stuff.

[/QUOTE]
    Definitely agree with you.  It is always nice to see former Red Sox players have success on their new teams, especially in the playoffs. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Definitely agree with you.  It is always nice to see former Red Sox players have success on their new teams, especially in the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't know, it always makes me want them back. He batted .362 during the regular season and only had 14 strikeouts in 243 at bats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'm STILL mad about dealing him to save 4million for these clowns!

Aviles has been a career utility man, and showed why over the course of the season, he's just not that good.

Additionally, Scutaro was one of the best clubhouse guys they had, and he played hard, and hurt, through the end of the 2011 season (156 games I think without checking). Something not many members of that team could say.

And for all that, they shipped him off to save a few dollars. Management got what they deserved, unfortunately, it's the fans who suffer. What kind of message does that send?

Oh, but all I kept hearing was how "luxury tax" this and "not that good" that, and "Aviles blah blah" something else.

Great, now you got me all pi ss ed off again!

Stupid 3 stooges (Henry, Lucchino, Werner).

And as a last point...wh'd we get for Scutaro? Some bum? Who'd SF give up to get him? I'm not sure who, but I bet it was better than the AAA piece the Sox got.

Idiots. People like Scutaro are the EXACT kinds of players you want to fill out a roster. No, much better to go get a sc um bag like Shoppach. Awesome.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And as a last point...wh'd we get for Scutaro? Some bum? Who'd SF give up to get him? I'm not sure who, but I bet it was better than the AAA piece the Sox got.

[/QUOTE]

Clay Mortensen, right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

Aviles has been a career utility man, and showed why over the course of the season, he's just not that good.

Additionally, Scutaro was one of the best clubhouse guys they had, and he played hard, and hurt, through the end of the 2011 season (156 games I think without checking). Something not many members of that team could say.

And for all that, they shipped him off to save a few dollars. Management got what they deserved, unfortunately, it's the fans who suffer. What kind of message does that send?

Oh, but all I kept hearing was how "luxury tax" this and "not that good" that, and "Aviles blah blah" something else.

Idiots. People like Scutaro are the EXACT kinds of players you want to fill out a roster. No, much better to go get a sc um bag like Shoppach. Awesome.

[/QUOTE]
    Definitely agree with you.  I wish that he was still with the Red Sox.  Although, it is also possible that he would have been traded at some time during the season anyway, considering how many players were traded. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

ma6: Take a breath...

I like Scutaro a lot and wish him the best...I was iffy about signing him three years ago when he was basically a 34-year-old career journeyman who'd had one good season, but he more than earned my respect in his time here. Wish he'd stayed. But Mortensen definitely showed some potential this season, and if he turns into a halfway-decent pitcher in any capacity for us, doesn't that future benefit outweigh having one year of 36 YO Scutaro? Would simply putting Scutaro in place of Aviles have made a difference in this sorry season?

I can understand liking or not liking the move, but let's not go overboard. This wasn't exactly trading Babe Ruth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

G           AB        BA       HR        RBI      OBP

Scutaro   156       620      .306      7          74       .348

Aviles      136       512      .250     13         60       .282

Comparison of defensive ability at SS is beyond my pay-grade!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

The numbers, offensively, speak for themselves.

I think Scut's "intangibles" are very valuable too. I think Aviles is totally benign when talking intangibles.

Would he have made a big difference? Probably not. But people who play every day, play hard, play the right way and have a good attitude tend to rub off on other people. Would he, as one player have been enough? Doubtful. But, again, he's the kind of player you should have to compliment the big ticket guys.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

We got the better end of it.  Just because someone plays for the RS doesn't automatically mean he's a bum.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whoa!

Slow down there!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We basically got Ross & Shoppach with the money saved and a decent young pitcher in Mortensen going forward.

There's no way we would have won this year with Scutaro, so looking at 2014 and beyond, I'd rather have Moretensen than the distant memory of Scutaro. (He's a FA after this year.)

Finally, Aviles fielded better than Scutaro could have as a FT SS all season long. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I hated to see Marco go. He was one of the few guys that played very well last Sept. But trading him helped us bring in Ross.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

easy...Scoot played 2b this year, not ss. With his arm, which was looking bad at SS with us last year, needed the switch to 2b which he obviously wasnt going to get here. Im sure he wouldve been traded this year anyway.

Hopefully Mortensen will workout good. Young starter/bullpen guy...Along with getting Ross with the $$$ saved...Good deal for Sox...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Here's something I really don't understand:

Ortiz complains year in, and year out. During the season, during the offseason. And most people want to pay him, and talk about how much he's worth to the team.

Scutaro doesn't make a peep, plays hard through one of the worst collapses in league history as many on the team pack it in, and few see the value in him.

He had a history with Valentine? What? 10 years ago? SO WHAT! Valentine can get rid of him, but not hire coaches, or make roster decisions (AAA-Majors) he wants? Yeah, that makes sense.

Perhaps Mortensen is better than I give credit for, I guess we'll find out at some point.

Riddle me this: Who were "high character" guys on the team last year? Scutaro WOULD have been one, I honestly can't think of another.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Yaz. Wasnt Scutaro playing 2b for colorado and SF this year? I remember him having issues making throws to 1b when he was here. Not sure if that was a shoulder thing or just not a strong enough arm anymore.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to wallyisdead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too bad Marco plays 2B for the Giants.

[/QUOTE]

Details, details.   We already have a tough, scrappy 2Bman .... Scoot was just fne at SS.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to MikeNagy's comment:
    [/QUOTE]

I don't know, it always makes me want them back. He batted .362 during the regular season and only had 14 strikeouts in 243 at bats.

[/QUOTE]

I purposefully left that out ... I figuted others would supply that little gem.  THanks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Yaz. Wasnt Scutaro playing 2b for colorado and SF this year? I remember him having issues making throws to 1b when he was here. Not sure if that was a shoulder thing or just not a strong enough arm anymore.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, my friend.  He was playing 2nd .... but he was SS in my mind. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Scutaro is not a make or break player. The Red Sox could stink with or without him.

As a matter of fact they did, in 2011.

Starting rotation was cr@p. they could've had the 1975 team on the field and they would have still lost without pitching.

Let's not play the "lamenting the loss of a minor piece" game when the team stunk becuase the big stars making the big money disappointed us.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Scutaro is not a make or break player. The Red Sox could stink with or without him.

As a matter of fact they did, in 2011.

Starting rotation was cr@p. they could've had the 1975 team on the field and they would have still lost without pitching.

Let's not play the "lamenting the loss of a minor piece" game when the team stunk becuase the big stars making the big money disappointed us.

[/QUOTE]

Zilla old boy, good to see ya.

I know Marco wasn't THE missing piece.  Just talking about an old friend, favorably.

But you are dead on about the staff