1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jailpro. Show jailpro's posts

where do we go from here

sell/or buy

i say if you can get somthing for ortiz,becket or dice k let them go time to clean house .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: where do we go from here

i fcherrington can get a few scuffed balls for dice k, i say make the move immediately.

if you cannot get the scuffed balls, just let him go.

beckett sounded like he will accept a trade, but talk about selling at a low point.

no reason to trade ortiz unless they are completely overwhelmed with young talent.  getting back some middling prospect is not enough for him since he will bring back a decent draft pick next June.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

My guess is that given our recent malaise that Cherington is now looking at the composition of the 2013 roster. Not sure that we'll be buyers or sellers. I think he'll move some of our excess guys that might have value to other teams that can be replaced by players that project to be in the mix next season. So while he's making and recieving calls from rival GM's, top of mind will be gauging the interest of teams that might bare fruit in the off season.

In terms of current players that he might shop based on contracts expiring? the obvius suspects would be Cook, Padilla, Matsusaka, Ortiz & Ross. I also think that he has to at least gauge the interest of teams in Beckett (who may or may not be part of the problem?)...The big fish is Ellsbury who with Boras as his representitive is almost certain to play out his last year and test the open market. so if he can finish the season strong and post like numbers to last years productive will certainly be of interest to may teams that are 1 player away and need a leadoff hitter with 20 homer, 50 steals & gold glove ability in center...

While I know that Cherington will never answer a direct question on his take of the current make-up of the team. Something is clearly amiss in terms of the teams chemistry. Which seems to be the prevailing perception of many of the national pundits. If indeed that is the case (pure speculation on my part). It could take another year to reposition the team and the obviuos question then becomes is Bobby Valentine the right guy for the job? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

It isn't really possible to just trade everyone away.  This team needs to play harder, more serious, more focused baseball.

Look at the slow-footed Texiera busting it down the line to try to beat out a double play ball, and look at the Sox la-de-dah it into getting only one force-out.  Then see the next guy bear down on an unfocused pitch, a sinker high in the zone, and knock it out of the park.

Attitude, focus, and trying to make every play, every pitch, every hit count.

Both the Sox and the Yanks hit three home runs yesterday.  None of the Sox homers had men on base, all the Yanks did.

These guys have to play better, more professional, baseball.  You can't trade a whole team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: where do we go from here:
    [QUOTE]My guess is that given our recent malaise that Cherington is now looking at the composition of the 2013 roster. Not sure that we'll be buyers or sellers. I think he'll move some of our excess guys that might have value to other teams that can be replaced by players that project to be in the mix next season. So while he's making and recieving calls from rival GM's, top of mind will be gauging the interest of teams that might bare fruit in the off season. In terms of current players that he might shop based on contracts expiring? the obvius suspects would be Cook, Padilla, Matsusaka, Ortiz & Ross. I also think that he has to at least gauge the interest of teams in Beckett (who may or may not be part of the problem?)...The big fish is Ellsbury who with Boras as his representitive is almost certain to play out his last year and test the open market. so if he can finish the season strong and post like numbers to last years productive will certainly be of interest to may teams that are 1 player away and need a leadoff hitter with 20 homer, 50 steals & gold glove ability in center... While I know that Cherington will never answer a direct question on his take of the current make-up of the team. Something is clearly amiss in terms of the teams chemistry. Which seems to be the prevailing perception of many of the national pundits. If indeed that is the case (pure speculation on my part). It could take another year to reposition the team and the obviuos question then becomes is Bobby Valentine the right guy for the job? 
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Nowhere to go but up. It will take at least another year, so they may keep BV a second year, BT. Possibly waiting for John Farrell to become available. Not sure how they can keep a manager with a .500 record with this payroll. While it may not be all on him, it's usually the manager, who takes the fall

Too many changes, adjustments and firsts this year, following the Sept collapse. All the off season issues with Francona, Epstein, JH comments about CC, hiring of a new manager. The media took hold and wouldn't let it go.  No one could move past it and carried into ST. New manager, new pitching coach, several new guys added to the roster, injuries, Youk/WM drama, list is long. Whatever the issues are, they need to be dealt with during the off season, whatever and whoever it is. Dont think they need a complete overhaul, but the problem pieces need to be the moving ones. This goes deeper than one or two players. The ownership also needs to take a long, hard look within, at themselves and the organization. Are they committed to more than making money?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There does not seem to be much of a market for Beckett , for obvious reasons. Many on here will never admit it, but that is the case. He can be traded if we eat most of his salary. DiceK is finished with the Sox. It is obvious that they are not interested in bringing him back. His trade value is zero.  Ortiz is still our best hitter. He should not be traded.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Talk to David Ortiz about his interest in finishing out the year with a contender. Tell Ortiz that he'll always be revered as a Red Sox icon. Convince Ortiz that a trade to a contender would be a win-win-win: a contender picks up a powerful hitter, the Red Sox pick up prospects and Ortiz gets to play for a contender.

The Seattle Mariners were able to spin their trade of Ichiro Suzuki as a win-win-win and the Red Sox could be the same with Ortiz. Of course, the Red Sox aren't the Mariners (although the Red Sox are closer to the M's in the standings than the Sox are to a Wild Card berth).

Sections
Shortcuts