WHERE DO WE START

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

WHERE DO WE START

With the Red Sox  needing so many pieces where do we start building.  We only have two potiental stars, not superstars, in Ells and pedrioa.  Are rotation is a disaster with Lester, who was lest than inspiring last year, Buch, who, if stays healthy. could be a top of the rotation guy, Lackey, may comeback since surgery, but then who else.  We have no ace to build upon.  The pen looks decent but not great.  The outfield, except for Ells, is not that great.

We have to build around middlebrooks, if he can stay healthy, Boguets, and Bradley and hopefully be able to add around them later.  Sure we have money to spend!  But with the FA market filled with question marks, Why spend now!  No one from the outside is really going to be attracted to this roster.  If we make a blockbuster trade to bring a cornerstone star right now we are going to have give up so much of our top prospects that we will back to where we started from.

I think we ought to tear down what we have left and bring in more youngsters, via through draft or trades.  Once we get a very good core of young player's then go get us a superstar or two and get ready for another ride.

Sure we have the recources of plugging some holes but in order for the team to get back to where we were it's going to take sometime to do it right.  I just don't want the team to spend money on over hyped player's and see us not get much better than we were before, only further behind.  I know the franchise needs to be competive to keep NESN viable but we have to many missing pieces to be able to fill everything.

I don't see where we really have a choice but to bite the bullet and go all out for a full blown total rebuild, I would like to hear how some of you feel and publish their own ideas.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Re: WHERE DO WE START

In response to bigdog1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With the Red Sox  needing so many pieces where do we start building.  We only have two potiental stars, not superstars, in Ells and pedrioa.  Are rotation is a disaster with Lester, who was lest than inspiring last year, Buch, who, if stays healthy. could be a top of the rotation guy, Lackey, may comeback since surgery, but then who else.  We have no ace to build upon.  The pen looks decent but not great.  The outfield, except for Ells, is not that great.

We have to build around middlebrooks, if he can stay healthy, Boguets, and Bradley and hopefully be able to add around them later.  Sure we have money to spend!  But with the FA market filled with question marks, Why spend now!  No one from the outside is really going to be attracted to this roster.  If we make a blockbuster trade to bring a cornerstone star right now we are going to have give up so much of our top prospects that we will back to where we started from.

I think we ought to tear down what we have left and bring in more youngsters, via through draft or trades.  Once we get a very good core of young player's then go get us a superstar or two and get ready for another ride.

Sure we have the recources of plugging some holes but in order for the team to get back to where we were it's going to take sometime to do it right.  I just don't want the team to spend money on over hyped player's and see us not get much better than we were before, only further behind.  I know the franchise needs to be competive to keep NESN viable but we have to many missing pieces to be able to fill everything.

I don't see where we really have a choice but to bite the bullet and go all out for a full blown total rebuild, I would like to hear how some of you feel and publish their own ideas.

[/QUOTE]

First of all BigDog, I don't really think Lucchino and Co. really want to rebuild.  They think they can get back to respectability on the fly--and the way the division is now so evenly matched he might have a point.  However, let's take it your way and say, ok, let's rebuild.  How to we do it?  Well there should have no duplication at one position and be weak at another.   Therefore we need to convert some of our prospects to other spots if this is going to work.

For instance, we hear talk about Boegarts being moved to third, a totally stupid idea since we have Middlebrooks there and a weak hitting shortstop who most likely will never hit.  Keep Bogie at SS.  We have a good young hitting third baseman name Garrit Cecchinii who is supposed to be a comer.  Maybe t hen we move Middlebrooks to first since he is bigger and rangier than Garrit.  Then with Pedroia on second you have a good young infield that has four guys who can hit.  Swithert (sic) is a coming catcher with switch hitting sting and then he and Lavarnway can go at catcher-DH.  Bradley and Brentz in two OF positions would leave one spot open for a solid FA.  Barnes and Owens might be ready then to take over on the mound to augment what we already have there, plus money for a solid FA pitcher.  That way we would spend only for two free agents and have pretty much a home grown team otherwise.

However, Lucchino would never go for this because he is more concerned with crowds and fan favorites than really building a team that would last.  That is why in my opinion the team will never really catch fire again until his meddling incompetent a@s is flushed out of Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First of all BigDog, I don't really think Lucchino and Co. really want to rebuild.  They think they can get back to respectability on the fly--and the way the division is now so evenly matched he might have a point.  However, let's take it your way and say, ok, let's rebuild.  How to we do it?  Well there should have no duplication at one position and be weak at another.   Therefore we need to convert some of our prospects to other spots if this is going to work.

For instance, we hear talk about Boegarts being moved to third, a totally stupid idea since we have Middlebrooks there and a weak hitting shortstop who most likely will never hit.  Keep Bogie at SS.  We have a good young hitting third baseman name Garrit Cecchinii who is supposed to be a comer.  Maybe t hen we move Middlebrooks to first since he is bigger and rangier than Garrit.  Then with Pedroia on second you have a good young infield that has four guys who can hit.  Swithert (sic) is a coming catcher with switch hitting sting and then he and Lavarnway can go at catcher-DH.  Bradley and Brentz in two OF positions would leave one spot open for a solid FA.  Barnes and Owens might be ready then to take over on the mound to augment what we already have there, plus money for a solid FA pitcher.  That way we would spend only for two free agents and have pretty much a home grown team otherwise.

However, Lucchino would never go for this because he is more concerned with crowds and fan favorites than really building a team that would last.  That is why in my opinion the team will never really catch fire again until his meddling incompetent a@s is flushed out of Boston.

[/QUOTE]"never catch fire again"

Boy, do I hope you are wrong, but your point is well taken.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox lost 93 games despite having Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett for nearly two-thirds of the 2012 season. The post-trade record of 9-27 might be a better measure of the current roster than the pre-trade record of 60-66.

Since being anointed The Best Team Ever in March 2011, the Sox have been stripped of considerable talent with the departures of Adrian Gonzalez, Jonathan Papelbon, Kevin Youkilis, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett, Marco Scutaro, J.D. Drew, Jason Varitek, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Tim Wakefield and now potentially David Ortiz.

The Red Sox have the money to overpay in the free agent market, but that's what contributed to the current Sox woes. The Sox might be better served by seeing how the promising prospects develop instead of sucumbing to fan pressure to field a contending club in 2013.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox might be better served by seeing how the promising prospects develop instead of sucumbing to fan pressure to field a contending club in 2013.

No pressure from me. We need to make all deals with 2014 and beyond in mind, with the exception of a couple one year bridge deals to fill the gaps and  to keep the fans watching the games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They aren't going into full rebuild mode and they don't have to.  There are some pretty intelligent baseball people out there who will tell you that they still have a better nucleus than some teams that made the playoffs this year.  As long as they don't set the record for most injuries again and remain in the middle of the pack in that department, they can add enough pieces to be very competitive without jeopardizing the future.   

Boston isn't Seattle, where you need a 10 year rebuilding plan developing a line-up because most Major League hitters would rather go to Japan than play their home games in the ridiculous ballpark. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

draft trade sign trout, machado, king, harper, straus, mccutchen, berry, seager, malone, miley, dickey, jones, darvish, lawrie, cespedes, montero, heyward, vogel, zimm, miley, rizzo-dizzo, cozart, alonso, frazier, rosario, aoki, dozzi....

come on.  it's what we want!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

You either go all in or you settle for one or two bridge year disastrous seasons.

All in: Hamilton a 4 year $100 M or BJ Upton.

Find a way to trade for Trumbo or Kendry's Morales(FA 2014)--$5 M (Arb--1-year)

Perhaps a few other FA's out there Jeff Keppinger, Joel Peralta, Grant Balfour

2014 FA: Perhaps trading some prospects for a one year opportunity while the kids get more experience.

Hunter Pence

Shin Soo Choo

Mike  Morse

Josh Johnson

Joel Hanrahan

AAron Hill

As far as I see the Sox everyone is available for the right deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You either go all in or you settle for one or two bridge year disastrous seasons.

All in: Hamilton a 4 year $100 M or BJ Upton.

Find a way to trade for Trumbo or Kendry's Morales(FA 2014)--$5 M (Arb--1-year)

Perhaps a few other FA's out there Jeff Keppinger, Joel Peralta, Grant Balfour

2014 FA: Perhaps trading some prospects for a one year opportunity while the kids get more experience.

Hunter Pence

Shin Soo Choo

Mike  Morse

Josh Johnson

Joel Hanrahan

AAron Hill

As far as I see the Sox everyone is available for the right deal.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, they aren't aren't going to "go all in" OR completely rebuild.  That's not the way to go about it.  They don't need to spend foolishly on free agents to be competitive next year and waiting for all the kids to develop is wishful thinking at best.  Some simply won't develop, some will get injured, some will be traded, etc...You need a good mix to be successful anyway. We all would like to see the "All Homegrown young team" out there, but it's just not reality.  They have a good enough nucleus where they can add a few pieces, without trading away a ton of prospects or taking on contracts more than 3 or 4 years in length to be in the hunt next year.      

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I just can't agree with the OP.  The Sox need to get one or two good bats and one good arm, period. 

Lester and Buchholz are both healthy and have pitched well in the past, so that should be the expectation in 2013.  Lackey was once pretty good and is coming off tommy john, and Doubront showed real potential as a starter this year.  Get that one good starter, and the Sox should have a decent rotation which might even be good.  Bullpen is another story, but there are good arms there as well.  To be honest, I think the pitching coach was lousy this year and a good one could have fixed Lester and Buchholz.  I sure hope Lester develops a good changeup in the offseason. 

The lineup needs a good bat at 1B and maybe one in the OF to go with Ellsbury and Ross.  Pedroia at 2B and Middlebrooks at 3B.  I think Iglesias should be the SS because of his fielding, but Aviles or Ciriaco or someone else could fill that slot.  Salty/Lavarnway at C and Ortiz at DH.

As for Bogaerts, the scouting report says he isn't that great a fielder, so I think he will end up at 3B, 1B, or the OF.  You can normally, usually find a slot for a good bat that has played SS. 

The hard part about the good bat (s) and good arm is finding someone good who is available.  But, while getting the right guys will be hard, knowing the Sox need them is simple and not a matter of "where do we start." 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

start with a pitching coach who can get the max out of this very talented group of current pitchers, and set up an organizational structure that all the young pitching talent in the pipe line is in the same program

Lester, Buch, LAckey, Felix and Rubby De can be a very good 5.

Bard, Bailey, Tazawa, Morales, Miller and Melancon all have the potential to form the best bullpen in baseball 

Barnes, Webster, Ranaudo and Britton very well could contribute this year

Owens, Light, Buttery and Stolmy could be only 2-3 years away

Unbelievable pitching talent, need a coach!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Prospects alone will not get it done. Our prospects are no better than other team's.   Sure , we got burned by over-spending on free agents , but that cannot make us gun shy. Continue to spend in the free agent market , and try to do a better job of it this time.  Sitting on the money and going with a roster of nearly all young prospects is a recipe for a terrible team.  Even worse than we saw this year.  Are we willing to support that ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

start with a pitching coach who can get the max out of this very talented group of current pitchers, and set up an organizational structure that all the young pitching talent in the pipe line is in the same program

Lester, Buch, LAckey, Felix and Rubby De can be a very good 5.

Bard, Bailey, Tazawa, Morales, Miller and Melancon all have the potential to form the best bullpen in baseball 

Barnes, Webster, Ranaudo and Britton very well could contribute this year

Owens, Light, Buttery and Stolmy could be only 2-3 years away

Unbelievable pitching talent, need a coach!

[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%.  I was not a fan of McClure at all, especially the way he handled Bard's transition to starter, basically making him a different pitcher. 

Rick Peterson is a guy that I would like to see implement his pitching program here.  My guess is that they'll at least look into it...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I just can't agree with the OP.  The Sox need to get one or two good bats and one good arm, period. Lester and Buchholz are both healthy and have pitched well in the past, so that should be the expectation in 2013.  Lackey was once pretty good and is coming off tommy john, and Doubront showed real potential as a starter this year.  Get that one good starter, and the Sox should have a decent rotation which might even be good.  Bullpen is another story, but there are good arms there as well.  To be honest, I think the pitching coach was lousy this year and a good one could have fixed Lester and Buchholz.  I sure hope Lester develops a good changeup in the offseason. The lineup needs a good bat at 1B and maybe one in the OF to go with Ellsbury and Ross.  Pedroia at 2B and Middlebrooks at 3B.  I think Iglesias should be the SS because of his fielding, but Aviles or Ciriaco or someone else could fill that slot.  Salty/Lavarnway at C and Ortiz at DH.As for Bogaerts, the scouting report says he isn't that great a fielder, so I think he will end up at 3B, 1B, or the OF.  You can normally, usually find a slot for a good bat that has played SS. The hard part about the good bat (s) and good arm is finding someone good who is available.  But, while getting the right guys will be hard, knowing the Sox need them is simple and not a matter of "where do we start."

+1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

we have to spend money NOW - you cant expect prospects to pan out in any year....im talking mostly pitcher free agents but a big bat is needed as well and i dont think thats papi

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

we have to spend money NOW - you cant expect prospects to pan out in any year....im talking mostly pitcher free agents but a big bat is needed as well and i dont think thats papi

[/QUOTE]

They obviously have the resources to spend money and they will, just not on the 5,6,7 year deals.  I would like to see a guy like Mourneau, who has 1 year and 14 million left, for example.  They need a good defensive 1st baseman and the guy can hit, especially at Fenway.  Another guy I would like is Tori Hunter on a one or two year deal.  He can still play above average defense, which they haven't had in right since Drew left and he hit over .300 with a .350 OBP last year, playing a lot of games in pitcher's parks.  Plus he's well liked and well respected around the league.

These are just a couple of players that could help win next year, yet won't hurt you long term, which is exactly the type of players they will likely pursue. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I admit I'm a glass half full kind of guy. But if A's and O's can both make playoffs this year can't see why RS couldn't do the same if they finally caught some breaks. Cherington need to have a very good off season, finding a 1b [LaRoche] and a quality SP [A.Sanchez or similar] is just the start. But what I really like about RS is whats happening down in the farm, the system is as good as its been since 04-07 when we brought in the Lesters/Pedroia/Buchholz/Masterson/Lowrie/ Ellsbury/ Delcarmen/Paps/Youk.While most of the current bunch is still at least a year away it has a little bit of everything.

Pitching- Matt Barnes/Rubby De La Rosa/Allen Webster/ Henry Owens who all could potentially become possible 1-3 type starters

Infielders- Jose Iglesias/ Xander Boegarts/ Garin Cecchini/ Deven Marrero. While 3 of thes guys are SS we have Pedoia and Middlebrooks for yrs to come. Just need 1 of the SS to become a player, my money is on Boegarts who made AA this year.

Outfielders - Jackie Bradley/ Bryce Brentz/ Brandon Jacobs/ Keury De La Cruz. Bradley looks to be Ellsbury replacement if he leaves for FA same way he took Damons spot. Brentz potential power bat. Jacobs a very good athlete. De La Cruz a IFA who had a very good year at 20. This doesn't include Kalish who I still believe is going to be a better version of Trot if he could just stay healthy.

Catcher- Blake Swihart a switch hitting catcher taken in 1st round with a ton of potential.

Have to like what is down below. Even if half this list makes it its still a very good news for RS fans. Now if we can just avoid the injuries that have plagued this team, we might be back in playoff picture sooner than many think.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I admit I'm a glass half full kind of guy. But if A's and O's can both make playoffs this year can't see why RS couldn't do the same if they finally caught some breaks. Cherington need to have a very good off season, finding a 1b [LaRoche] and a quality SP [A.Sanchez or similar] is just the start. But what I really like about RS is whats happening down in the farm, the system is as good as its been since 04-07 when we brought in the Lesters/Pedroia/Buchholz/Masterson/Lowrie/ Ellsbury/ Delcarmen/Paps/Youk.While most of the current bunch is still at least a year away it has a little bit of everything.

Pitching- Matt Barnes/Rubby De La Rosa/Allen Webster/ Henry Owens who all could potentially become possible 1-3 type starters

Infielders- Jose Iglesias/ Xander Boegarts/ Garin Cecchini/ Deven Marrero. While 3 of thes guys are SS we have Pedoia and Middlebrooks for yrs to come. Just need 1 of the SS to become a player, my money is on Boegarts who made AA this year.

Outfielders - Jackie Bradley/ Bryce Brentz/ Brandon Jacobs/ Keury De La Cruz. Bradley looks to be Ellsbury replacement if he leaves for FA same way he took Damons spot. Brentz potential power bat. Jacobs a very good athlete. De La Cruz a IFA who had a very good year at 20. This doesn't include Kalish who I still believe is going to be a better version of Trot if he could just stay healthy.

Catcher- Blake Swihart a switch hitting catcher taken in 1st round with a ton of potential.

Have to like what is down below. Even if half this list makes it its still a very good news for RS fans. Now if we can just avoid the injuries that have plagued this team, we might be back in playoff picture sooner than many think.

[/QUOTE]

Great post, Garyhow...It should be an interesting offseason and as you mentioned, if they bring in a few key players and avoid a ridiculous amount of injuries, maybe this team will be loose, start enjoying the game again and win more games than people think.  It all starts with a manager and coaching staff that the players will respond to, which clearly wasn't the case this year.  The farm system is deep enough where we should start seeing some players contribute sooner rather than later and also allow them to make some significant trades...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

C-Salty/Lav 0.742  

1B 0.825  

2B-Pedey 0.797  

SS-Iggy 0.550  

3B-WMB 0.835  

LF- 0.825  

CF-Ells 0.800  

RF-Ross? 0.807  

DH-Papi? 0.940  

Bench 0.700  

Average 0.782        

Target 0.780  

Runs 775.000        

Ace 3.59 Haren 4 years

Lester 3.85 3 years

Buchholz 3.62 4 years

Doubront 4.37 FIP

Lackey 4.71 FIP

Closer/Setup 3.24  

RP 3.88  

RP 3.88  

Average 3.89        

Target 4.000  

RA 699.000        

Py W/L 88.627

That's my figuring without a whole lot of effort on my part or the team's part.  There is no number up there that cannot be accomplished.

Some of the assumptions are-

We re-sign Papi and Ross

We acquire a 1B and LF at .825.

Bailey and a setup (Tazawa?) have a 3.25, and the rest of the BP kind of pitch like they did in 2012.

After that, the big question would be what we do with the top slot of the rotation.  That'll be the key, but everything else is well within our talent range and payroll range, knowing that most of the guys can play slightly better or slightly worse.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We start by Hiring the right manager. My choice would be Wallach or Ausmus, but Im pretty sure they will sign Farrell...

Then re-sign Papi and Ross.

Aquire another arm for the rotation. Peavy, McCarthy, Sanchez?

Aquire a 1b. Morneau, Davis?

Another OF on 1-2 year deal until our Kids (Brentz, Bradley) are ready.  Cruz, Hunter, Ludwick?

Look for trade partners for Ellsbury. Reds, Rangers?

Without getting into much deatail that would be it in a nutshell...