Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers?

Ebbs and flows - I'm getting of this Harness expression. Boring.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : Yes it was strong at one time but at the present moment it's pretty barren.
    Posted by ---The-Babe---[/QUOTE]

Relatively barren at AAA?  That's fair.  My point is that the Sox have done a great job drafting and developing players for almost 10 years, and it didn't become a bad system over the winter because they traded potential for Gonzalez.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

General Manager 
    Theo Epstein
    Team in 2000s: Red Sox
    Seasons in 2000s: 7
    It was a decade in which the White Sox won their first World Series since 1917, the Angels won their first World Series and the Rays reached the World Series the year after finishing with the worst record in baseball. But the decade's big moment was the Red Sox -- after 80-plus years of angst and drama -- finally winning the World Series and then, just three years later, winning it again. Epstein was at the heart of things, blending various talents (including author Bill James and former Royals GM and scout Allard Baird), making bold moves when they felt right and hiring Terry Francona as manager.

Read more:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/magazine/specials/2000s/12/03/mlb.all.decade.team/index.html#ixzz1QtwDHBjU

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : Relatively barren at AAA?  That's fair.  My point is that the Sox have done a great job drafting and developing players for almost 10 years, and it didn't become a bad system over the winter because they traded potential for Gonzalez.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

Ummmm....yes it did.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THEO AS A GM.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : Ummmm....yes it did.

I repeat, only if one has the myopic view of a farm system as the sum of its AAA and similar talent.  A more thoughtful view would include the strategy, scouts, coaches, facilities, recent (10-year) track record, A/AA talent and recent draft picks.

It's a great system, one of the best in baseball. To contradict that is demonstrably absurd.  Over and out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : I repeat, only if one has the myopic view of a farm system as the sum of its AAA and similar talent.  A more thoughtful view would include the strategy, scouts, coaches, facilities, recent (10-year) track record, A/AA talent and recent draft picks. It's a great system, one of the best in baseball. To contradict that is demonstrably absurd.  Over and out.

No, what is absurd is to claim that a farm system that is not ranked in the top ten in the majors as one of the best. pretty simple.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

It was ranked this spring between #12 and #17, depending on what survey you checked (There's at least 5 of these). NYA, OTOH, ranged between #4 or #5.
    I still think Cashmun s-cks however; although he's done better this yr with all his P scrapheap bargains.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]It was ranked this spring between #12 and #17, depending on what survey you checked (There's at least 5 of these). NYA, OTOH, ranged between #4 or #5. I still think Cashmun s-cks however; although he's done better this yr with all his P scrapheap bargains.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Of course you do, after all you are a sawx fan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : No, what is absurd is to claim that a farm system that is not ranked in the top ten in the majors as one of the best. pretty simple.

So if you had a savings account that paid a high rate of interest, accrued continuously, and paid on the last day of every month would you say on the 30th of June that your account was a great savings vehicle because of all the accrued interest in your account but on the first of July it was a bad savings vehicle because there ws no accrued interest in it?

NB -

ac·crue

[uh-kroo] Show IPA
    –verb (used without object), -crued, -cru·ing.
    to happen or result as a natural growth, addition, etc.
    to be added as a matter of periodic gain or advantage, as interest on money.
    Law . to become a present and enforceable right or demand.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : So if you had a savings account that paid a high rate of interest, accrued continuously, and paid on the last day of every month would you say on the 30th of June that your account was a great savings vehicle because of all the accrued interest in your account but on the first of July it was a bad savings vehicle because there ws no accrued interest in it? NB - ac·crue     [ uh - kroo ] Show IPA –verb (used without object), -crued, -cru·ing. 1. to happen or result as a natural growth, addition, etc. 2. to be added as a matter of periodic gain or advantage, as interest on money . 3. Law . to become a present and enforceable right or demand.

That's nice, but we were talking about farm systems, not savings accounts.

And the sawx farm system is pretty barren right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : That's nice, but we were talking about farm systems, not savings accounts. And the sawx farm system is pretty barren right now.

a·nal·o·gy

[uh-nal-uh-jee] Show IPA
    –noun, plural -gies.
    a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.
    similarity or comparability: I see no analogy between your problem and mine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Prospects are just that until they come up and produce at the major league level.  Look at a guy like Reddick.  He was considered a good prospect a few years ago, then he looked like a bust, now he looks like he may have suddenly arrived as a good major league hitter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : a·nal·o·gy [ uh - nal - uh -jee ] Show IPA –noun, plural -gies. 1. a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart   and a pump. 2. similarity or comparability: I see no analogy between your problem and mine.

very poor analogy but I'll go with it.

If the red flops farm system is like a savings account, then they withdrew the funds and there is no interest being accrued.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : Of course you do, after all you are a sawx fan.

Right; that must be it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : very poor analogy but I'll go with it. If the red flops farm system is like a savings account, then they withdrew the funds and there is no interest being accrued.

Mr. Magoo,

Are you serious or just taking the mickey?  Or do you not understand the analogy?  The baseball equivalent of withdrawing the capital from a savings account would be disbanding all farm teams and firing all scouts and minor league coaches.  The baseball equivalent of interest continuing to accrue is scouting, drafting and developing new young draftees and signees to replenish the system following promotions and trades.

The former has clearly not happened, and the latter is exactly my point that you are unable or unwilling to acknowledge:  the assembly line of talent ("farm system") assembled by Theo et al is unbroken by promotions and trades.  In fact, the Pedroias, Lesters and Gonzalezes simply confirm the excellence of the system.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : Mr. Magoo, Are you serious or just taking the mickey?  Or do you not understand the analogy?  The baseball equivalent of withdrawing the capital from a savings account would be disbanding all farm teams and firing all scouts and minor league coaches.  The baseball equivalent of interest continuing to accrue is scouting, drafting and developing new young draftees and signees to replenish the system following promotions and trades. The former has clearly not happened, and the latter is exactly my point that you are unable or unwilling to acknowledge:  the assembly line of talent ("farm system") assembled by Theo et al is unbroken by promotions and trades.  In fact, the Pedroias, Lesters and Gonzalezes simply confirm the excellence of the system.

As I said, the system was strong but not now. And theo didn't draft lester.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where does Theo Epstein rank among MLB general managers? : Mr. Magoo, Are you serious or just taking the mickey?  Or do you not understand the analogy?  The baseball equivalent of withdrawing the capital from a savings account would be disbanding all farm teams and firing all scouts and minor league coaches.  The baseball equivalent of interest continuing to accrue is scouting, drafting and developing new young draftees and signees to replenish the system following promotions and trades. The former has clearly not happened, and the latter is exactly my point that you are unable or unwilling to acknowledge:  the assembly line of talent ("farm system") assembled by Theo et al is unbroken by promotions and trades.  In fact, the Pedroias, Lesters and Gonzalezes simply confirm the excellence of the system.

Sorry, but this analogy doesn't work, IMO. Perhaps try junk bonds instead (and even then I'm not sure), where you can take a beating acquiring a veteran for Draft Picks (Herschel Walker), or sign an undrafted FA and he turns into a HOFer (Tom Seaver).