Where is Drew on opening day.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: Where is Drew on opening day.

Doubt he gets signed till after the Draft. It would be the smart move now on his part. Could be playing for a contender by July 1st, then hit Free Agency with no QO attached with no loss of a Draft Pick. Only 2 Months till Draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Doubt he gets signed till after the Draft.

Agree, unles a contending team loses their SS to a season-ending injury.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I think a Team would use a Band-aid for 2 Months. Guy like Jason Bartlett would be available.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think Drew will get signed at some point. Something will happen somewhere to open up a spot for him.  I would say that it appears that he is not as highly regarded around baseball as he and Boras had thought. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Doubt he gets signed till after the Draft. It would be the smart move now on his part. Could be playing for a contender by July 1st, then hit Free Agency with no QO attached. Only 2 Months till Draft.

He could sign now and tomorrow (depedning on the team) and not have a Q.O. attached....don't underestimate a contender who has a big need in the next month biting the bullet....although the odds of him signing after the draft are higher. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Like Detroit. By the time he gets to the field it will be about 1 month till Draft. Teams want to keep their picks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Teams want Drew, but the loss of a pick greatly diminishes what they will pay for him. There is a dollar amount out there, but obviously it's not enough for Drew to accept.

If it looks like he will not sign until June, the Sox might look at it differently. Since we will not get a draft pick unless he signs before June, we really lose nothing by signing him ourselves. 

I'm not saying I want to sign him, even for $6-8M, but the draft choice situation has changed now, and if we could get something very nice for Middy, I'd like to explore those options. Drew at SS and Bogey/Cecchini at 3B is much better defensively and maybe close to the same on offense. What we gain for Middy via trade could make it worth while, but I don't like the idea of being up to the luxury limit with no room to spare at the deadline.

I'd say no, but the equation is changing.

The Sox are not going to trade Middlebrooks. The following reasons say so:

1. The Sox are not going to repeat. Look at baseball recent history and tell me what the odds are? Since 1980, only two teams repeated. That's 2/33 years.  Percentage wise, that's 6%. That includes the Yankees in the late 90's who were basically a dynasty from 1996 - 2001. The Red Sox are not a dynasty.

2. With Victorino gone for almost 10% of the season guaranteed, that is signficant given his 5.8 WAR (no I am not a fan). 

3. Show me the number of big time trades that took place this time of year?

Drew blew it. He's not a member of this team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

cherry lucked out by drew not accepting the 14mil payday...insane on his part

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Drew can sign after June (since the draft pick will no longer be attached to him).  Or he can play in Japan with Youkilis.   Laughing

I'm glad he didn't take the $14M to stay here another year, but I feel bad he's not playing now.

I appreciate the WSC, but he made a business decision to try for more money.  I can't feel sorry for him.  It's not like he got hurt playing for us.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Drew can sign after June (since the draft pick will no longer be attached to him).  Or he can play in Japan with Youkilis.   Laughing

I'm glad he didn't take the $14M to stay here another year, but I feel bad he's not playing now.

Hello moonslav59   Laughing

I guess Drew will keep himself busy by working out at Boras' state-of-the-art facility.   LOL

I thought a team like Toronto or the Mets would sign him.  

Neither of those teams have a real chance at a ring this year, so why trade on the future for a guy who probably is not going to tilt the balance of their season?

You're right moonslav59   Smile

I thought either the Mets or the Blue Jays would make such a move because their front offices are not the brightest.   LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I think Middlebrooks deserves a good look this year.  He seemed to have corrected some problems -- swinging at bad pitches -- in spring training, and he could become a major power hitter.  Yes, spring training doesn't mean much, but at least it shows his attitude is good and he hasn't given up on himself.  The upside could be huge.

And somehow I feel that Drew or Boras wouldn't be happy with him coming back as a utility guy. This is a case where Boras misread the market, but wouldn't want to admit it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You know, all the good talk on Middy is not lost on GMs around the league.

If his value goes up for us, his value in trade does as well- maybe even more so to a team that is in greater need of a 3Bman or who has scouts that think Middy is better than our organization rates him.

I like Middy. I think he has a good chance to become a 25-35 HR guy. That's enough to offset the probable low OBP and maybe enough to also offset his questionable defense, but the question, as always with any player, should be "is Middlebrooks better than what is offered for him?"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I like Middy. I think he has a good chance to become a 25-35 HR guy. That's enough to offset the probable low OBP and maybe enough to also offset his questionable defense, but the question, as always with any player, should be "is Middlebrooks better than what is offered for him?"

I'd rephrase that a bit.  For me the question is, does Middlebrooks fit our particular needs better than what is offered for him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I'd rephrase that a bit.  For me the question is, does Middlebrooks fit our particular needs better than what is offered for him.

...and how close is Cecchini and Betts to giving us equal or more value than Middy. If ben in confident either one can replace Middy with no lost value, then trading Middy (or Cecchini/Betts) becomes a strong trade candidate.

In other words, even if Middy is solid, but we feel Cecchini is equal, then the "value fit" for us is worth less than several teams in great need of a solid 3Bman to be more competitive.

Sections
Shortcuts