Where is the Love for Carl Crawford

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Where is the Love for Carl Crawford

Whether you liked the deal or not, it should be recognized that Carl Crawford dug himself out of the worst slump for a new player that I can remember.  He kept working, battled, stayed positive and the results came.  Is that not what Sox fans love? He refused to simply accept that his stats would be mediocre in 2011 and went about correcting things.  My question is why no love?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Where is the Love for Carl Crawford

From May 1 though June 4, Crawford hit .315 / .336 / .488 with 3 HR and 20 RBI in 32 games.  (Those are paces for 15HR and 100 RBI over a full season.)

Today he was 1 for 2 with another HR and 3 RBI.

During that same stretch, Ellsbury hit .324/.380/.449.   For basically the same performace, one player is a bust and the other is an MVP candidate, according to most Sox fans.

Crawford has absolutely turned it around since April.  The problem is, plenty of fans find his April unforgiveable and have already written his 7 years off as a bust despite a stellar comeback...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Where is the Love for Carl Crawford:
    Whether you liked the deal or not, it should be recognized that Carl Crawford dug himself out of the worst slump for a new player that I can remember.  He kept working, battled, stayed positive and the results came.  Is that not what Sox fans love? He refused to simply accept that his stats would be mediocre in 2011 and went about correcting things.  My question is why no love?
    Posted by jimdavis

don't like the contract(obviously).

do like the clutch hits though

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Where is the Love for Carl Crawford:
    From May 1 though June 4, Crawford hit .315 / .336 / .488 with 3 HR and 20 RBI in 32 games.  (Those are paces for 15HR and 100 RBI over a full season.) Today he was 1 for 2 with another HR and 3 RBI. During that same stretch, Ellsbury hit .324/.380/.449.   For basically the same performace, one player is a bust and the other is an MVP candidate, according to most Sox fans. Crawford has absolutely turned it around since April.  The problem is, plenty of fans find his April unforgiveable and have already written his 7 years off as a bust despite a stellar comeback...
    Posted by notin

If you think about it, the numbers that you posted, .315/.336/.488/.824, are not exactly in the running for MVP.  And even worse, during that period, he has a 23/3K/W ratio.  Those are the numbers that derailed Brandon Wood.  No one, absolutely no one, can survive that ratio.  If he doesn't become more disciplined, the slump will return.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

From May 1 though June 4, Crawford hit .315 / .336 / .488 with 3 HR and 20 RBI in 32 games.  (Those are paces for 15HR and 100 RBI over a full season.) Today he was 1 for 2 with another HR and 3 RBI. During that same stretch, Ellsbury hit .324/.380/.449.   For basically the same performace, one player is a bust and the other is an MVP candidate, according to most Sox fans. Crawford has absolutely turned it around since April.  The problem is, plenty of fans find his April unforgiveable and have already written his 7 years off as a bust despite a stellar comeback...
    Posted by notin

Crawford had a great month, and everyone is happy about that. 

That other guy you disparage gets paid less than 1/20th what CC makes, and so far this season he is:  tied for 4th in the AL in runs and hits--that's right, runs and hits--and he is tied for the AL lead in doubles and in SBs.  His OPS is more than 100 points higher than CC's.  No one has touted Ellsbury for MVP because the frontrunner for that is clearly Gonzalez. 

Next you will be telling us that, really, CC is doing a better job than AGon, but the fans just don't realize it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

140 million reasons, Jim.

It's a tough town.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Crawford will be worth every penny. And trust me Ellsbury will get paid and probably by someone else

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't see it as being Crawford vs. Ellsbury. It is nice to have them both producing. It adds a lot to the team. The fact that they are the same type of player is not a problem. We saw enough of Crawford , playing for Tampa Bay, to know what a game changer he can be.  As for what he is being paid , that is really not our concern. We should just be happy to have him on our side.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I agree--it isn't Crawford vs. Ellsbury.  If both are hitting along with Pedey, Youk, AGon, Big Papi, Drew, Lowrie, and Salty/Tek, the Sox are going to be awfully tough.  It's possible that, good as last year was, CC could have a better one this year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I've had nothing but love for Crawford, love his signing, another homer today. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

In April when the team was going bad 2-11 Crawford was , in a word, awful. Anyone who doesn't believe that , had his head in the sand. When they started winning , he was still slow off the mark.

But now, all is forgotten. He is hitting the ball hard, getting some clutch hits, stealing some bases, playing a decent Left Field. He is playing as advertised. 

I still think they paid too much for his services, he will be 37 when the contract expires, hardly an age that will showcase his best asset , speed. Also Theo has established the market for Jacoby with the $142 mil they forked out  for Crawford. That is not Crawford's fault , he merely said thank you very much. 

The Red Sox will have the biggest payroll in the majors in a few years, what does it matter? Doesn't I suppose , if one is willing to set the benchmark , salary wise at most positions, but do that and you better win. Or out comes the slings and arrows. 

Time will tell , Crawford is an exciting player to watch, of that there is no doubt, he is even starting to hit lefties, he needs to do that for $20 million per year.

They should win the division , I don't think they will beat the Rangers in the ALCS. We will see, they could go all the way, the bullpen is their Achilles Heel against the top clubs. Texas , Tampa Bay, New York . Lucky they don't play anymore with the White Sox.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In April when the team was going bad 2-11 Crawford was , in a word, awful. Anyone who doesn't believe that , had his head in the sand. When they started winning , he was still slow off the mark.   But now, all is forgotten. He is hitting the ball hard, getting some clutch hits, stealing some bases, playing a decent Left Field. He is playing as advertised.    I still think they paid too much for his services, he will be 37 when the contract expires, hardly an age that will showcase his best asset , speed. Also Theo has established the market for Jacoby with the $142 mil they forked out  for Crawford. That is not Crawford's fault , he merely said thank you very much.  The Red Sox will have the biggest payroll in the majors in a few years, what does it matter? Doesn't I suppose , if one is willing to set the benchmark , salary wise at most positions, but do that and you better win. Or out comes the slings and arrows.  Time will tell , Crawford is an exciting player to watch, of that there is no doubt, he is even starting to hit lefties, he needs to do that for $20 million per year.   They should win the division , I don't think they will beat the Rangers in the ALCS. We will see, they could go all the way, the bullpen is their Achilles Heel against the top clubs. Texas , Tampa Bay, New York . Lucky they don't play anymore with the White Sox.  
    Posted by aussiewill

They've only played one series at home vs. the White Sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

April and May count when you get paid 20 million a year. Sorry about that, who do I need to apologize to?

Crawford and his under .300 OBP. When it goes over .300, a given for a guy with a career OBP higher than that, do I need to apologize to the 20M dollar man and applaud him for his "great comeback"?

I don't think so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

No doubt you can win a few games for your team in a hot July but perhaps you may have caused the team a few losses by an icy cold April and May, no?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I loved the signing.   (See below ....unchanged since the happy day we signed Carl.)

I love his work ethic.

I love that he has come from a tough neighborhood in life and wants to be a good role model as well as good player.

I knew he would work out of his slump.

I also knew we would have some down in the mouther's about him.  It's a given.

Apologies for not showing enough support ... just got in from Philly - moved my younger son over weekend.

I have been busy on developing a third string of income  (heehee ...writing....)

Just had to jump in, Jim and say thanks for the OP .... write on!!! Uh, right on ...  :o)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

he's making 140 million; does he have to be loved also?
    where is the love for the firemen and policemen?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It's becoming clear that he feels much more comfortable at the plate. he was under so much pressure to perform and I believed in the beginning that the Fenway spotlight would be too much for him to handle, coming from a small market. It's good to see he's turning it around.
    He will be fine from here on out. I think he still needs some time to learn to play the wall though, a lot of mis-plays still.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

he's making 140 million; does he have to be loved also? where is the love for the firemen and policemen?
    Posted by --the--yazzer

Exactly which firemen and policemen don't get love?  And what does that have to do with the price of eggs?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

April and May count when you get paid 20 million a year. Sorry about that, who do I need to apologize to? Crawford and his under .300 OBP. When it goes over .300, a given for a guy with a career OBP higher than that, do I need to apologize to the 20M dollar man and applaud him for his "great comeback"? I don't think so.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed

No one said anything about apologizing.  You need to go back and re-read.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

April was not doubt a bad month for CC but he is now playing up to his career numbers. In comparing CC vs Els what does money have to do with it. Blame the players union for negotiating the rules on contracts. Els definitely deserves CC money but under the current labor contract he is getting what the Sox have to give him. Bashing players for getting what the market will pay them is stupid. I doubt anyone here would not accept the huge dollars if it were offered to them. Sports players are paid too much in my opinion but it is what it is.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

actually travis, compared to CRAWFORD, the price of eggs is a damn good bargain.
    btw, where is the love for harvey keitel?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

At least Crawford is not playing against the Sox. That is worth about 5 mil per year. Subtract the 5 mil and we have a decent contract for CC.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from plinny. Show plinny's posts

The Crawford situation is much easier to look at when you consider that it was, at the very least, a classic game of "keep away" from the Yankees.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Why no love. It is human nature for fair weather fans to bi-tch and moan when things aren't going well - especially in this forum.

Sections
Shortcuts