Where is the Love for Carl Crawford

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

Re: Where is the Love for Carl Crawford

"carl crawford will be our roberto clemente."

good luck with that one. the odds are he will be our j d drew.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Where is the Love for Carl Crawford:
    he's making 140 million; does he have to be loved also? where is the love for the firemen and policemen?
    Posted by --the--yazzer

Then maybe you can start a blog praising all of them..We appreciate all of them..but this is a baseball forum in case u havent noticed..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Where is the Love for Carl Crawford : No one said anything about apologizing.  You need to go back and re-read.
    Posted by jimdavis

Why do fans (softy) really care about money as if its THEIR MONEY thats being spent it and not our billionaire owners...To me its just a WEAK excuse to bash a player...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

hey softbrain,

your "this isn't your money" schtick is getting quite stale.
    try using your brain and come up with something new.
    btw, genius, it is your money if you're watching nesn or going to the games.
    what did you think; john henry has a money making machine in his basement?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Love the Crawford signing. I've been wanting the Sox to get him for a while now.  I don't care about the money as it's not mine.  I don't buy tickets to the games anyway.  I watch on tv or listen on the radio and that's good enough for me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Also Theo has established the market for Jacoby with the $142 mil they forked out  for Crawford.Posted by aussiewill

Ummm.... No he didn't. I seem to remember the Nationals setting the market.

The Red Sox will have the biggest payroll in the majors in a few years, what does it matter?   
    Posted by aussiewill

I highly doubt that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Where is the Love for Carl Crawford : Great job, Yaz.  I never saw that.  I have been taking days off from the forum because the negativity is just too much sometimes.  I am known as the supreme optimist at work so the bashfest that I read here is just moronic.  As you said, CC has been a model guy.  He struggled and came out of it.  Is that not what Sox fans love about their guys.  I know he got a ton of money but contrary to what many want to believe, he could have gotten that cash anywhere.  He WANTED to be here.  He chose this vortex and we bash him for it.  It is just freaking madness as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by jimdavis

BS....nobody was going to go that high for him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

babe, you're right. after theo perused CC'S baseball card, he went crazy again and overpaid for a slap hitter.
    CC wanted to be in boston for 141 million reason$.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I see the actual value of Crawfords contract at about 100 mil.  It was worth 10 mil just to not have to see him in a Rays uni wreaking havoc on the Sox, and another 30 just for the piece of mind that he won't possibly be a Yankee until he is over the hill, no matter how serious the Yankees were about snatching him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

All this talk of "worth" is ridiculous anyway. No player is worth $50 million, 100 million, or 140 million. The market allows them to be signed for such, but to really say "oh he was only worth 100 million the Sox overspent" is a dumb way to try and discredit a great player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

All this talk of "worth" is ridiculous anyway. No player is worth $50 million, 100 million, or 140 million. The market allows them to be signed for such, but to really say "oh he was only worth 100 million the Sox overspent" is a dumb way to try and discredit a great player.

Posted by NUSoxFan

crawford is a very good player, not sure he actually qualifies as being great.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Posted by NUSoxFan
    I tend to think it is a valid part of the dialogue about players. While the sport doesn't have established spending caps, there is CBT and every team has a spending limit, even the RS and NYY.

So while we can on one hand rightful say that no player is worth what they are paid, within that pay structure is a pecking order.

When a player is given $20M a year for 7 years, the amount of money limits what else the team can do with player personnel and it does it for many years, including the yet to be determined dreaded twilight years.

Is it the players fault if an organization falls out of bed on contract? Of course not. But it is fair to judge a player's contributions based on the amount of a team's budget his compensation absorbs.

And while in a philosophical sense we can say no player is worth $X, some relative to the sport and the compensation structure at the time are. Pedro Martinez was worth every cent of his RS contract by example.

OTOH it will be an over used and tired way to dismiss Crawford's contributions over the course of his contract but unless the economics of baseball expand a great deal, his contract and Jayson Werth's are bad values.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Crawford's BA and OBP discredit him. His 20M payment for this year simply makes it more embarrassing from a team value point of view. Crawford could care less, he gets paid the same to be lousy, or not. When you play sports for living, though it may be a distraction, they get used to fans who aren't happy with their performance. They don't care about anything but the money, as it's a business. They might like more popularity, but it's not something that overrides the money. Crawford pays baseball for the money, like almost all professional athletes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Crawford is worth what the market says he's worth, on that day at that time. Value is a different story.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Where is the Love for Carl Crawford : crawford is a very good player, not sure he actually qualifies as being great.
    Posted by --The--Babe---

Now we're arguing semantics.

Definition of great m-w.com
    10 a : remarkably skilled

Definition of good
    adequate, satisfactory

Definition of very
    to a high degree

So we have, satisfactory to a high degree, and remarkably skilled. They sound pretty much like the same thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Crawford is bad because of his BA and OBP, not what he's paid. What he's paid is embarrassing to team management, on team value. Crawford is like nearly all professional athletes, they only care about the money and they get paid the same regardless of whether they stink during the pre-contract year portion of their latest contract.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

hey softbrain, your "this isn't your money" schtick is getting quite stale. try using your brain and come up with something new. btw, genius, it is your money if you're watching nesn or going to the games. what did you think; john henry has a money making machine in his basement?
    Posted by --the--yazzer

Once you pay the cash, it isn't your money anymore.  So, the team does what they think is in the best interests of the organization now and in the future.  We may or may not like every move.  But if we like the team and the ownership, a certain amount of trust goes with the territory.  I think we have experienced great joy in the last 10 years or so despite losses along the way.  That said, I like the signing and I'm fine with the money.  it is what you have to pay.  The Sox have a nice mix of players from all different ways of finding talent.  And I feel great about it.  CC is my boy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Where is the Love for Carl Crawford : BS....nobody was going to go that high for him. 
    Posted by --The--Babe---

That is your opinion but you can't know that.  I love folks like you who make declarative statements on the outside looking in.  Your nose is pushed up against the glass like the rest of us.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The Angels offer to CC was competitive ( a $2 mil. per yr. difference) but it was for one less year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

let's go to the fax again. CC is having a better year then the ancient Jeter and CC makes less money.  Plus we have CC for another 6 years.  who wood you rahter have, old man river, I mean Jeter, or the young CC

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

let's go to the fax again. CC is having a better year then the ancient Jeter and CC makes less money.  Plus we have CC for another 6 years.  who wood you rahter have, old man river, I mean Jeter, or the young CC
    Posted by can-you-dig-it
    Whatever the NYY end up stuck with on Jeter or the Angels with Vernon Wells matters little to the RS when they are pressing the CBT does it?

$140M for a .335 OBP/.777 OPS player is not a great contract. At some point we are going to have to judge Crawford on his merit and over look the contract because it was a major reach. Not his fault but it is what it is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Carnie and Jim .... I'll go for the two-fer ...

Jim... "Great job, Yaz.  I never saw that.  I have been taking days off from the forum because the negativity is just too much sometimes.  I am known as the supreme optimist at work so the bashfest that I read here is just moronic.  As you said, CC has been a model guy.  He struggled and came out of it.  Is that not what Sox fans love about their guys.  I know he got a ton of money but contrary to what many want to believe, he could have gotten that cash anywhere.  He WANTED to be here.  He chose this vortex and we bash him for it.  It is just freaking madness as far as I'm concerned."

Carnie  "Carl Crawford will be our Roberto Clemente. Write it down and quote me on it.

Pleased to call you Sox fans ...helps balance the monotony of the harsh dudes.  I don't even pay attention to the NYY trolls anymore.  I do mean the trolls, because there are reasonable NYY fans posting here.  (That's almost as big a conundrum as reasonable Sox fans.     Ha!)  

Jim, your optimism is highly merited.  I don't remember which of our brothers said it but we ARE in the RED SOX Golden era ... It doesn't mean we bring home the brass ring each season, but we are DEFINITELY reaching for it each year and have been since 2003.  

Carnie, I just hope our Clemente doesn't perish in an untimely fashion.

BTW, if we are talking about the humanitarian/philanthripoic part of Clemente, our new power star is all that.  He is a tireless do-gooder.

We are fortunate, indeed!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Excellent!

First: 5/22/2011
    Last: 6/7/2011

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

5K, credit where credit is due, well put.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Carnie and Jim .... I'll go for the two-fer ... Jim... "Great job, Yaz.  I never saw that.  I have been taking days off from the forum because the negativity is just too much sometimes.  I am known as the supreme optimist at work so the bashfest that I read here is just moronic.  As you said, CC has been a model guy.  He struggled and came out of it.  Is that not what Sox fans love about their guys.  I know he got a ton of money but contrary to what many want to believe, he could have gotten that cash anywhere.  He WANTED to be here.  He chose this vortex and we bash him for it.  It is just freaking madness as far as I'm concerned." Carnie  "Carl Crawford will be our Roberto Clemente. Write it down and quote me on it.    Pleased to call you Sox fans ...helps balance the monotony of the harsh dudes.  I don't even pay attention to the NYY trolls anymore.  I do mean the trolls, because there are reasonable NYY fans posting here.  (That's almost as big a conundrum as reasonable Sox fans.     Ha!)     Jim, your optimism is highly merited.  I don't remember which of our brothers said it but we ARE in the RED SOX Golden era ... It doesn't mean we bring home the brass ring each season, but we are DEFINITELY reaching for it each year and have been since 2003.   Carnie, I just hope our Clemente doesn't perish in an untimely fashion. BTW, if we are talking about the humanitarian/philanthripoic part of Clemente, our new power star is all that.  He is a tireless do-gooder. We are fortunate, indeed!  
    Posted by SinceYaz

Tireless do-gooder, SY?  Some may spin that as bleeding-heart lefty if they have an axe to grind.  They would be right (I'm mean, correct) about the lefty part. 

As far as my "love" for CC is concerned, I neither love nor hate the man.  I don't know him at all.  He does wear a Red Sox uniform however, and the there is a lot of money invested in him, so I guess I'll root for him to perform well and neither idolize nor villify the man.   

Sections
Shortcuts