where is the offense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from khuberpt. Show khuberpt's posts

where is the offense?

It seems like they are having a very difficult time scoring runs lately, and against subpar pitchers.  now they have been very lucky and the teams below them have also been losing like the sox have but they have to turn the offensive issues around.  what is the solution.  they are making very average pitchers look very good.  any realistic solutions?  i realize that there are a lot of ball games left and they do have a 4 game lead but it is getting close to september and they will need to eventually score.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: where is the offense?

A lot of it is the shuffling of the lineup, no one can settle in. And for that we can at least partly blame Mike Napoli. His limp bat cannot easily be replaced by anyone else, and leaves an imbalance that its hard to compensate for. The HR tonight nothwithstanding, I dont expect him to suddenly snap out of it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

What you want to see is the pitching, offense and defense all working well. It is a concern right now. The Sox are not playing very well. We are struggling against teams that we should be beating up. Some of the heroics have masked this. I think we will have to do better to win the division or even make the playoffs. The opposition will be tougher. If you concede the Central to the Tigers, that means that eight teams are competing for four playoff spots. Right now , we are in the driver's seat. But it is very precarious. Any kind of losing streak can put us in trouble. We are going to need to play better than we have been recently. It starts this weekend at Fenway against the Yankees. They have been revived from life support. We need to pull the plug on their season and go on the coast trip with some momentum.  From what I have been seeing, I am not convinced that we are up to it.  I know that some here will point out that we are three games up. I know that. The problem is that those same posters will be satisfied if this team fails down the stretch. They will say that we did better than anyone expected. Don't buy into that. We are a high payroll team. There are no moral victories. We are in a position to win. We are looking kind of shaky lately. Time to turn that around. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sox have averaged bit more than 5 runs per game in Aug.  

Apr - 5.1

May - 4.6

Jun - 5.5

Jul - 4.5

Not too bad I think.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

What you want to see is the pitching, offense and defense all working well. It is a concern right now. The Sox are not playing very well. We are struggling against teams that we should be beating up. Some of the heroics have masked this. I think we will have to do better to win the division or even make the playoffs. The opposition will be tougher. If you concede the Central to the Tigers, that means that eight teams are competing for four playoff spots. Right now , we are in the driver's seat. But it is very precarious. Any kind of losing streak can put us in trouble. We are going to need to play better than we have been recently. It starts this weekend at Fenway against the Yankees. They have been revived from life support. We need to pull the plug on their season and go on the coast trip with some momentum.  From what I have been seeing, I am not convinced that we are up to it.  I know that some here will point out that we are three games up. I know that. The problem is that those same posters will be satisfied if this team fails down the stretch. They will say that we did better than anyone expected. Don't buy into that. We are a high payroll team. There are no moral victories. We are in a position to win. We are looking kind of shaky lately. Time to turn that around. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

BS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

BS.

You will be the first one to be satisfied with failure. You excuse everything and have zero to offer except criticizing other posters.   I write a long post regarding our recent struggles, and all you can reply with is two letters. BS. Try not mailing it in for a change.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

It is just wear and tear on most players at the same time they are fighting themselves to secure the post season spot.  Beginning of the year, they dont look at the scoreboard to see how teams are doing, and now they are looking at it every single game.  They are not focusing on putting an individual stats, they are focusing on how to win as many game as they can to get into the post season

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

BS.

You will be the first one to be satisfied with failure. You excuse everything and have zero to offer except criticizing other posters.   I write a long post regarding our recent struggles, and all you can reply with is two letters. BS. Try not mailing it in for a change.

I don't like the team failing any more than you do.

The difference is, I handle it like an adult, accept it and move on.

Folks like you need dissect it, assign blame, and then remind everyone that you knew it would happen and want us all to tell you how smart you are.

You write long posts about "our recent struggles" after every loss.

I've got some news for you; predicting failure in baseball isn't that difficult.

It's a game of failure, statistically speaking.

I'm sorry you were so scarred, as a young Sox fan, that you can't see anything but disaster for the Sox every year, but that's your flaw, not theirs.

SSDD.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In response to khuberpt's comment:

It seems like they are having a very difficult time scoring runs lately, and against subpar pitchers.  now they have been very lucky and the teams below them have also been losing like the sox have but they have to turn the offensive issues around.  what is the solution.  they are making very average pitchers look very good.  any realistic solutions?  i realize that there are a lot of ball games left and they do have a 4 game lead but it is getting close to september and they will need to eventually score.

WAY to many holes and easy outs in this line up! But they are fun to watch!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

"the teams below them have also been losing"

Thats the one line in the OP that says it all.

Its mid August. They dont call them the "dog days" for no reason. No team in the ALE hs been better then 5-5 in their last 10 games.

The difference between the Sox and a lot of other teams is consistency. They havent gone on any prolonged losing streak like the Rays and their recent 6 game one. The Sox have also averaged about 5 runs per game in August and have a 7-6 record so far this month.

The last time through the rotation was tough. Lackey, Peavy and Doubie had some issues. It happens. We get Buch back soon and should be primes for a strong September. As long as we can stay even on the WC trip, we should be good. TB still has a 10 game WC trip at the end of Aug into the start of September.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

5-5 on this road trip and I wont be disappointed. This is tough part of year. Just keep ginding.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't think dgalehouse is being unduly pessimistic.  I do disagree if he thinks this hasn't already been a great 3/4 of a season, but agree it's a tough road ahead:  21 home, 19 away, 28 against winning teams, 12 against losers, etc.  Coming up are six on the coast against the red hot Dodgers and the Giants. 

Lester wasn't all that bad last night--2 earned runs in 6.1 innings, and Workman was pretty good in relief.  But, as the OP says, right now the hitting ain't so hot.  Me, I am a devout believer that good pitching trumps good hitting, and last night the Toronto starter was hitting his spots and throwing a good mix. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

BS.

=======================================

I appreciated your opinion and agree with a lot of it. The BS response is sort of one I get from Liberals(mea culpa for introducing politics) but instead of coming back with an intelligent rebuttal about what they disagree with they say they don't want to hear about it.

Personally, I am no more confident with Lester pitching than I am Lackey, Peavy or Dempster. They are all a bit above average but not outstanding and usually give up 3-4  runs so need the offense to get 5-6 to win. Return of Bucholtz to pitch as he did may give us a star. Unfortunatley, I feel that Napoli's HR may have been even a Blind Chipmunk finds an acorn occasionally and Salty too is not far behind in the strike out category.

In our last 10 games or so we are about .500 but have maintained our lead because the Rays & Orioles have lost more than they won. The Yankees, fortunately were some 10 games behind in the loss column & have won 4 in a row and even the ageing Soriano has tremendously helped their offense. Fortunately, the Rays, Balts & NY all play eachother and if one doesn't dominate and they beat eachother up and we play just a bit better than 500 we'll be OK. I think the 3 game series with NY is key and we need at least 2 out of 3. And next week on the coast with 3 each vs SF and LA ain't gonna be easy. I'm thinking, hoping 2 out of 3 vs SF and same with LA but it may be 1 out of 3 so we may need be happy with a 3-3 split.  I am going to 2 of the SF games with my Boston Strong T-shirt and B on my cap. My wife will wear her SF cap so I don't get beat up(HA!).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

BS.

I don't like the team failing any more than you do.

The difference is, I handle it like an adult, accept it and move on.

Folks like you need dissect it, assign blame, and then remind everyone that you knew it would happen and want us all to tell you how smart you are.

You write a long posts about "our recent struggles" after every loss.

I've got some news for you; predicting fialure in baseball isn't that difficult.

It's a game of failure, statitically speaking.

I'm sorry you were so scarred, as a young sox fan, that you can't see anything but disaster for the Sox every year, but that your flaw, not theirs.

SSDD.

What you are saying is simply not true. I don't write about our recent struggles after every loss. Not at all. We have not played well on this road trip against teams that we should beat up. That is what I am talking about.  Baseball is a game of failure only as far as batting is concerned. It does not apply at all to a team's performance. A team has to win more than they lose to be successful. This team has been successful all year. Not so on this trip. They will have to play better in the remaining games. That is not BS. That is a fact.  Your last comment about being scarred is just absurd.  Has nothing to do with the issue. You should not resort to that nonsense to support your position.  It is commonplace to dissect things after a loss or losing period. Nothing wrong with doing that as a fan. No doubt, teams do it all the time. Finally, you say that you take losing like an adult. Why not try taking other's posts like an adult ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

BS.

=======================================

I appreciated your opinion and agree with a lot of it. The BS response is sort of one I get from Liberals(mea culpa for introducing politics) but instead of coming back with an intelligent rebuttal about what they disagree with they say they don't want to hear about it.

Personally, I am no more confident with Lester pitching than I am Lackey, Peavy or Dempster. They are all a bit above average but not outstanding and usually give up 3-4  runs so need the offense to get 5-6 to win. Return of Bucholtz to pitch as he did may give us a star. Unfortunatley, I feel that Napoli's HR may have been even a Blind Chipmunk finds an acorn occasionally and Salty too is not far behind in the strike out category.

In our last 10 games or so we are about .500 but have maintained our lead because the Rays & Orioles have lost more than they won. The Yankees, fortunately were some 10 games behind in the loss column & have won 4 in a row and even the ageing Soriano has tremendously helped their offense. Fortunately, the Rays, Balts & NY all play eachother and if one doesn't dominate and they beat eachother up and we play just a bit better than 500 we'll be OK. I think the 3 game series with NY is key and we need at least 2 out of 3. And next week on the coast with 3 each vs SF and LA ain't gonna be easy. I'm thinking, hoping 2 out of 3 vs SF and same with LA but it may be 1 out of 3 so we may need be happy with a 3-3 split.  I am going to 2 of the SF games with my Boston Strong T-shirt and B on my cap. My wife will wear her SF cap so I don't get beat up(HA!).

Exactly. That is my point. We will have to play better than we have been on this road trip. There are eight teams competing for four spots. It will be tough. You cannot be satisfied with just doing better than many expected. Not when you get this close.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Sox have averaged bit more than 5 runs per game in Aug.  

Apr - 5.1

May - 4.6

Jun - 5.5

Jul - 4.5

Not too bad I think.

Yeah but thats deceptive. Win 10-3 one night and lose 2-1 the next, youre outscoring your opponent 11-5 with a 5.5 avg., but are a .500 team. There are far too many games with 3 or less runs scored.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[/QUOTE]

What you are saying is simply not true. I don't write about our recent struggles after every loss. Not at all. We have not played well on this road trip against teams that we should beat up. That is what I am talking about.  Baseball is a game of failure only as far as batting is concerned. It does not apply at all to a team's performance. A team has to win more than they lose to be successful. This team has been successful all year. Not so on this trip. They will have to play better in the remaining games. That is not BS. That is a fact.  Your last comment about being scarred is just absurd.  Has nothing to do with the issue. You should not resort to that nonsense to support your position.  It is commonplace to dissect things after a loss or losing period. Nothing wrong with doing that as a fan. No doubt, teams do it all the time. Finally, you say that you take losing like an adult. Why not try taking other's posts like an adult ?

[/QUOTE]

They also didnt play well the previous road trip, a pattern akin to 2011 is developing. I still do not trust this team. I was 99% convinced they would come out guns blazing and knock that kid out in the firt 4 innings last night, and look what they did. Every time, and I mean every time you think theyre about to turn a corner and really take off, they pull out two or three duds like last night. I remember thinking and posting the exact same thing in 2011. I would not be a bit surprised if they lose to the LH Burhle tonight, then lose 2 of 3 to NY. Not surprisd in the least.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

This is time of year where a team has to play fundemental baseball, (you should play it all the time of course), but now it gets magnified more with less games, and Division Opponents coming up. Little things win more games than the 3 run HR.

Mistake free in the field, dont give your Opponent an extra base or Out. Make contact, make Opponents make mistakes, move runners along. Pitching, limit Walks, bare down when Opponent has scoring chances, get ahead in Count. These are little things that good teams do, in toughest part of season. Most of these things are above the shoulders.

Posted this on wrong thread....sorry.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

This is time of year where a team has to play fundemental baseball, (you should play it all the time of course), but now it gets magnified more with less games, and Division Opponents coming up. Little things win more games than the 3 run HR.

Mistake free in the field, dont give your Opponent an extra base or Out. Make contact, make Opponents make mistakes, move runners along. Pitching, limit Walks, bare down when Opponent has scoring chances, get ahead in Count. These are little things that good teams do, in toughest part of season. Most of these things are above the shoulders.

May be wrong thread, but very applicable to the topic. Last nights debacle with the throwing errors ended up being the difference innthe game, take that away and they win 3-2--poor offense notwithstanding.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

May be wrong thread, but very applicable to the topic. Last nights debacle with the throwing errors ended up being the difference innthe game, take that away and they win 3-2--poor offense notwithstanding.

Lester obviously has the yips when throwing to a base. You hold your breath every time.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts